What to do in San Francisco, USA??

G'Day Kiwi Cruiser!

I live in California, & I hope you will enjoy San Francisco.

If you take a drive down the Pacific Hwy 1, there is currently a road closure near the Muir Woods.

Might be repaired by February, but here is a helpful website from the California Dept of Transportation:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Just type in the highway name Pacific Hwy 1 and the current details will be provided.

Also, someone suggested a day trip to Yosemite.

This would be an overnight trip under the best circumstances.

But Yosemite in February will most likely be blanketed in heavy snow. So mountainous driving conditions could be slow going, possible road closures, & tire chains are necessary.

Most Yosemite lodging requires a two night stay, & likely booked full already due to ski season.

I agree with other posters regarding Fisherman Wharf; Chinatown; the Golden Gate Bridge; Lombard Street; & Alcatraz.

I highly recommend taking a commuter ferry roundtrip from Fisherman Wharf to Vallejo for excellent views of the Bay. It's the most economical form of a scenic ferry ride.

A cable car ride is a must...unique to SF. I cannot think of any other American city that uses them.

And, if you wish for a little 1960s hippy nostalgia...visit Haight Ashbury.

Napa Valley wine country is an easy day trip. It's just about an hour drive north of the Bay Area. The weather will be damp & chilly, but no snow.

Avoid parking a car in the city...last time I was there 3 yrs ago it cost $45 per day to park.

Also, traffic can be a hassle.

BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) is a very efficient subway system.

Enjoy your trip! Four days should be plenty to enjoy this great city.

Just looked up the average temperature & Precipitation for San Francisco:

High 60 F

Low 48 F

Average amount of rain for the month: 4.61 inches

Damp chill even when it isn't raining.

Add in the fog and it's even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe also consider visiting Yosemite National Park, which I believe can be done as a day trip.

Also look at doing the Coastal 17* Mile Drive as a day trip. This is a very scenic drive and very comparable to the Great Ocean Road.

I believe that it is over 300 klms one-way from San Francisco to Yosemite - I can't believe that it would be worth a day trip??

Barry

I believe that it is over 300 klms one-way from San Francisco to Yosemite - I can't believe that it would be worth a day trip??

Barry

I do know people who have done it as a day trip during the summer months, but as somebody just said it would be snowed in, it would not be possible to do as a day trip.

Sorry I was only making a suggestion. Yosemite was one of my favourite places in America, and can't wait to return one day.

Like others I would recommend Alcatraz, Cable Cars, shopping and eating at Fisherman's Wharf especially the Clam Chowder and go to Sausalito by the Blue & Gold Ferry from Pier 39/41 (look out for the seals at that pier also). Its really lovely over there and you get to see more of the harbour.

I enjoyed going to Yosemite but put a whole day aside for that.

• 1 month later...
Been a long time, but Cable car ride and Fisherman's Wharf are in my opinions "musts".

The cable car museum is very interesting. A must try is the Cheesecake Factory at Macys. We also loved Mel's Drive In.

We walked across the Golden Gate Bridge and went to Sausalito and caught the ferry back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cruisine21

We did a 1/2 day morning tour with Golden West Tours and couldn't recommend him highly enough...Stephan (Mob. 415-218-9559) is a one man organization with a 10 seat van...what he doesn't know about San Francisco is not worth knowing...not a boring moment, there was always something special or important to point out! Good luck he is in high demand.;)

After the tour we knew exactly where we wanted to go back to and places we'd give a miss.

We missed out on Alcatraz...needed to be booked at least 8 weeks in advance when we were there (Aug.'15).:mad:

Loved all of San Francisco...one place in the world we WILL go back to.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank You Everyone for your replays and information :)

Kiwi_cruiser - hope you are enjoying your cruise - can I ask where you stayed in San Francisco and if you would recommend it?

I'm looking for somewhere to stay 4 nights next January before we board for our San Francisco to Sydney cruise and your threads have been handy to get some ideas on what we can do while there

Thanks

We stayed at Holiday Inn Express, 500 mtrs flat walk along beach st to pier 39 where ship docks and only one block from Fisherman's wharf.

Lots to do in SF, we visited Acatraz but book a couple of months in advance.

We caught HOHO bus around the corner from the hotel and did a round trip for about an hour on the open top deck which included Golden Gate bridge, about 30 something dollars.

http://www.hiefishermanswharf.com/

Edited by yatchet

We stayed at Holiday Inn Express, 500 mtrs flat walk along beach st to pier 39 where ship docks and only one block from Fisherman's wharf.

Lots to do in SF, we visited Acatraz but book a couple of months in advance.

We caught HOHO bus around the corner from the hotel and did a round trip for about an hour on the open top deck which included Golden Gate bridge, about 30 something dollars.

http://www.hiefishermanswharf.com/

I got a real shock when we were there a few years ago to see the lines and lines of people queing up and waiting for that tour.:eek:

My very first cruise was on Canberra in 1984 and SF was a stop. I think they had only just opened Alcatraz as a National Park Tour and we just wandered along the Embarcado and jumped on the boat . There would have only been a dozen or so of us and we had the whole prison to ourselves and the guide.

I got a real shock when we were there a few years ago to see the lines and lines of people queing up and waiting for that tour.:eek:

My very first cruise was on Canberra in 1984 and SF was a stop. I think they had only just opened Alcatraz as a National Park Tour and we just wandered along the Embarcado and jumped on the boat . There would have only been a dozen or so of us and we had the whole prison to ourselves and the guide.

Haha.

Another change is that now your "guide" is a portable audio system.

I live 2 hours East from SF, You can NOT see Yosemite in a day.. its at LEAST 4 hours East and then 4 Back...

If you want to see Alcatraz you will NEED to book well in advance,,, do not expect to just walk up and get a ticket.. MONTHS ahead,

If you are NOT used to driving on the right side,, be very careful in renting a car, the traffic around SF is BAD and us CA drivers can be something else, lol.. just a warning..

I love SF but the traffic keeps me away most of the time

one of the very best things to see are the cable cars and see the Cable car museum.

need any help,,, email me and I will give you my cell number,,,, I always, help were I can... I know how much I like it when I am looking

You might get lucky! Actual summer tends to be the worst with cold fog; the shoulder seasons can be very nice. I've mentioned before on the boards, it's really fun to see "Beach Blanket Babylon," a fun review that has run for many years. Lots of laughing.