Constellation Caribbean 11-29 Comments

mamamzee

This is not a full review but comments re some earlier questions and discussions on CC.

1. Constellation is a beautiful ship and very well maintained. The crew is excellent and Captain Tasos is the brightest and is absolutely hilarious. Everyone loved him and went to every game or lecture or event where he was featured. Also is only 36 years old:eek:

2. We were in Aqua class. The cabin was fine on deck 11, although it's the same as all the other cabins as far as we could see. We liked the shower. The little perks are nice.

3. Blu was like a club where we met new people and then spent time with them later in the cruise. We really liked that aspect of Blu--very cozy and the staff was wonderful. I found the food to be good and it was fun to try things--short ribs were the best meal ever.

4. Is AQ worth it? Yes, if you get a really good deal but I would not spent a lot of extra money.

5. Tuscan Grill and Ocean Liners were excellent (we ate for lunch).

6. Labadee was a nice stop. Lots of shade to just relax in. The barbeque was, in my opinion, not very good but it's food and only one meal. We did see two STRAY DOGS there which bothered me a lot. The only consolation was that, although they looked sad, they did not look hungry.

7. In San Juan, we got off the ship a little later than the rest and found a guy who would take us on a tour of Old San Juan for $10 each. He was great, born and raised in NYC, even put my husbands scooter on his bus..

8. Did not get off in the other ports. We've been to St Maarten, we live in Florida so have beaches any time and the other ports didn't sound interesting.

9. We both had facials at Canyon Ranch spa. Wonderful. Absolutely no push to buy anything.

10. Disembarkation was a breeze.

11. Parked at Park n Go--what an efficient, speedy and wonderfully polite company.

12. We did not have a beverage package. Rather, we had a nice bottle of wine every evening with dinner. I checked the prices of wine by the glass in the wine menus and it appears that there aren't too many available on the Class Beverage Package but one could have some nice ones on the Premium. Depends on what you like to drink.

13. I found the schedule of activities to be slim , even on sea days. But I like to sit in the sun and read so I was fine. Trivia was very hard so I lost interest.

14. The entertainment was excellent all nights. The singers were outstanding. The comics were very funny. There was also an illusionist and his fiancee, a contortionist. I know it sounds weird, but she was amazing in the things she could do. His "tricks" were really good.

15. They do use ground coffee in the buffet--saw them fixing it.

16. Best pizza ever in the buffet. I would make several trips a day to swing by for a small piece..

17. DH had developed sciatica a few days before leaving and we rented a scooter to be delivered to the ship We called Celebrity 3x, our travel agent 2x and tried to get an accessible cabin. No luck; I kept getting passed on to the next person: special needs department to travel agent who called Celebrity who said to ask when we arrive at the pier who told us to check at the Guest Relations who looked like a deer in the headlights to we said forget it. YOU have to be a contortionist to get a scooter in the room. Fortunately, our steward parked it outside and charged it for us.

Had a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not a full review but comments re some earlier questions and discussions on CC.

1. Constellation is a beautiful ship and very well maintained. The crew is excellent and Captain Tasos is the brightest and is absolutely hilarious. Everyone loved him and went to every game or lecture or event where he was featured. Also is only 36 years old:eek:

2. We were in Aqua class. The cabin was fine on deck 11, although it's the same as all the other cabins as far as we could see. We liked the shower. The little perks are nice.

3. Blu was like a club where we met new people and then spent time with them later in the cruise. We really liked that aspect of Blu--very cozy and the staff was wonderful. I found the food to be good and it was fun to try things--short ribs were the best meal ever.

4. Is AQ worth it? Yes, if you get a really good deal but I would not spent a lot of extra money.

5. Tuscan Grill and Ocean Liners were excellent (we ate for lunch).

6. Labadee was a nice stop. Lots of shade to just relax in. The barbeque was, in my opinion, not very good but it's food and only one meal. We did see two STRAY DOGS there which bothered me a lot. The only consolation was that, although they looked sad, they did not look hungry.

7. In San Juan, we got off the ship a little later than the rest and found a guy who would take us on a tour of Old San Juan for $10 each. He was great, born and raised in NYC, even put my husbands scooter on his bus..

8. Did not get off in the other ports. We've been to St Maarten, we live in Florida so have beaches any time and the other ports didn't sound interesting.

9. We both had facials at Canyon Ranch spa. Wonderful. Absolutely no push to buy anything.

10. Disembarkation was a breeze.

11. Parked at Park n Go--what an efficient, speedy and wonderfully polite company.

12. We did not have a beverage package. Rather, we had a nice bottle of wine every evening with dinner. I checked the prices of wine by the glass in the wine menus and it appears that there aren't too many available on the Class Beverage Package but one could have some nice ones on the Premium. Depends on what you like to drink.

13. I found the schedule of activities to be slim , even on sea days. But I like to sit in the sun and read so I was fine. Trivia was very hard so I lost interest.

14. The entertainment was excellent all nights. The singers were outstanding. The comics were very funny. There was also an illusionist and his fiancee, a contortionist. I know it sounds weird, but she was amazing in the things she could do. His "tricks" were really good.

15. They do use ground coffee in the buffet--saw them fixing it.

16. Best pizza ever in the buffet. I would make several trips a day to swing by for a small piece..

17. DH had developed sciatica a few days before leaving and we rented a scooter to be delivered to the ship We called Celebrity 3x, our travel agent 2x and tried to get an accessible cabin. No luck; I kept getting passed on to the next person: special needs department to travel agent who called Celebrity who said to ask when we arrive at the pier who told us to check at the Guest Relations who looked like a deer in the headlights to we said forget it. YOU have to be a contortionist to get a scooter in the room. Fortunately, our steward parked it outside and charged it for us.

Had a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We loved it too! We had cabin 6135 with an extra large balcony which we almost lived on!

The AquaClass 1 cabins on Deck 11 are the same in interior size, design, layout, and furnishings as are the AquaClass 2 cabins on Deck 9 and the Concierge Class cabins otherwise offered on Millennium-Class ships... When Celebrity added those cabins several years ago, that "match" was the goal...

The difference is that those cabins are much newer and tend to show far less wear as they've been far less "lived in"... And some think that the Deck 11 cabins are in a better, quieter, less shaded location than are the AquaClass cabins on Deck 9 [situated under the cantilevered pool deck with more noise potential from above]...

The amenities associated with sailing AquaClass 1 and AquaClass 2 are otherwise identical...

My DH and I were on the Connie and we loved it! We enjoyed the shows and the ports. We really like the Solarium and just plain relaxing around the pool area. On Sea Days, it would be nice to have a few more activities like RCI does...it is basically just a difference in the cruise lines, I think. We book the trip based on the ports and prices, so we love both RCI and Celebrity (esp. Celebrity's Elite cocktail hour which is MUCH better than RCI's).

We loved it too! We had cabin 6135 with an extra large balcony which we almost lived on!

Hi Karen. We have 6135 on the Connie next year. Does the balcony furniture include footstools? They had them in concierge on Solstice class, and really enjoy them, but heard that they were not available on Connie.

Karin

I, too, was on this cruise. We were in Aqua, deck 11. Cabin was very nice. Cabin Stewardess, Rhodora was wonderful.

Blu was very good, but service not as good as I remember two years ago. Our Matr'd (sp) was a wonderful female, as was the Head Waitress, yes waitress, Tijuana, was also excellent. They always greeted with a smile, and made sure we had a table in the areas that we preferred. This was the first time that we ever had the "front" people actually seem to care. There were 4 of us, but only had to wait for a table two times. First night, and one other, but not for very long maybe 10 minutes. The food was good, but seemed to be missing sides of vegetables. Breakfast was always great. Sommolier was not too great, but I will say that he had his hands full. They really need more than one in Blu. Daisy, the beverage waitress was great! Always smiling and remembered our favorites. I think that the Women in Blu really outshined the men, by far. I think they should start having more women at the helm.

To answer a couple of things,

1. Escargot, Ceasar salad, and the usual "always available" entree's from the MDR menu are available every night in Blu.

2. Aqua Spa Cafe: still offers the Grilled Salmon to order every day, but not the Tuna they use to have. They also do not offer the Egg White Omelette they use to. The daily offerings (plated) did not seem to change much. The yogurt parfaits were $5 (i think), and not included in Premium Bev package. These use to be free.

3. Smoking was no longer allowed at the sunset bar. (which made aft Aquas more enjoyable).

4. No live music was played at the sunset bar in 9 nights or days(which we happend to enjoy from our aft balcony) Very dissapointing.

5. Live musicians only played at venues for 45 minutes at a time.

6. Canapes.....I requested to have them left even if were not there, and they did every day. Though our friends were required to fill out a request for each and every day (same steward)

7. We really found the lack of trays in the buffet annoying. Not that we really eat from there, but like to get sushi and Miso soup, and take it to our balcony, while getting ready for dinner, with our in-room wine. again, dissapointing.

at Cruise Critic Connections, someone asked why no more chocolates at night.......answer: they are spending that $500,000 on entertainment instead! Honestly, did not see an improvement in entertainment. Just less of it. Bands were good.

Overall, our cruise was great, and Connie is great, but as mentioned everywhere on CC, more and more "niceties" are disappearing.

We were in Aqua 1112 on this sailing and agree with most of the points already made.

The new cabins on Deck 11 are in beautiful condition (as is the rest of the ship) and extremely quiet and conveniently located for easy access to the buffet, bar, and open decks.

We found Blu to be excellent, never a wait at 8:15 or 8:30, fine service from waiters and assts. - Miller, Andy, Cesar, Mentor, Darko et al as well as the hostess Tijana. Overall superior to what we experienced in Blu on REFLECTION in Feb.

Would like to see the menu revised away from the excess of game birds though.

After many cruises with HAL we had gotten out of the habit of going to evening shows, but this ship certainly changed that! Outstanding.

Capt. Tasos is a great personality as mentioned.

An interesting and unusual itinerary to ports that are rather uncommon for large ships, i.e. St. Croix and St. Barts. Thoroughly enjoyed all.

Anxiously awaiting another Celebrity cruise on REFLECTION in a couple months.

We sailed along as well and enjoyed Aqua & Blu. We took the ST Croix Buck Island Snorkel excursion; it was a 40 minute van ride (twelve stuffed passengers) and then another 30 minute rough boat ride. Seas were at 2' swells and choppy. Once at the snorkel site most tried to endure the seas which had a strong current as well. There were plaques underwater noting various fish types. We had only 30 minutes to snorkel then the long boat and van ride back. We did not get on Buck Island as no beach time with this excursion. ST Barths was a tender port and the crew did an amazing job. The life boats used had windows open for air flow and also a top deck to sit on. They had to travel slow but we opted for last boarding and were off ship by noon. The town is beautiful and the shopping was excellent. The shopkeepers greet you but let you shop privately; and very helpful once you request assistance. Some say pricey; more like Macy's etc. But the clothing was French style something you do not see in the states. ST Maarten excursion was the Mirabella snorkel and beach; the catamaran was right at the port so quick boarding. The crew was amazing; when snorkeling they were right in the water with you and also had a person in a small craft assisting. The beach stop was beautiful; they provided drinks, sandwiches and snacks. Singing and dancing as well. A truly fun experience.

We were on the 11/29 Connie sailing too along with Karen. Had a great time overall. My perspective is based on most of my cruises being on Royal Caribbean which we prefer a bit better. For perspective we are 49/52 years old and this was our 35th cruise - 2/3 RCI.

Had a Celebrity Suite and loved the cabin layout. The service we received from our butler was actually not very good although I attribute this to the individual rather than the entire staff. We even had problems getting ice every day and extra shampoo for my wife. Inexplicably, the stereo had a radio, CD player and cassette player but no where to plug in an iPod. Who travels with cassettes in this day and age?

The 9 day itinerary was wonderful. St Barths was a highlight.

Food was ok - nothing spectacular. Lobster night they served 1/2 tail, 2 small mussels & 2 scallops? Really? Tuscan Grill was good but the best meal we had by far was Ocean Liners.

Didn't care for the overall ship layout and decorating. A few of the artworks were curiously representations of weeds. I kill dandelions in my yard and don't want to see them on my cruise ship.

Michaels Club was a highlight although underutilized. We were able to get cocktails every day and night without restriction. Also soda & bottled water. The staff and concierge were wonderful.

Never a problem getting seats in the buffet. I thought the food was comparable to other ships we have been on.

Pool activities are definitely more subdued than RCI. Not as many wait staff near the pool. If you wanted a drink generally you got it yourself from the bar.

Overall we enjoyed ourselves but there were aspects we didn't really care for. Will probably go back to RCI for future cruises.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were on the 11/29 Connie sailing too along with Karen. Had a great time overall. My perspective is based on most of my cruises being on Royal Caribbean which we prefer a bit better. For perspective we are 49/52 years old and this was our 35th cruise - 2/3 RCI.

Had a Celebrity Suite and loved the cabin layout. The service we received from our butler was actually not very good although I attribute this to the individual rather than the entire staff. We even had problems getting ice every day and extra shampoo for my wife. Inexplicably, the stereo had a radio, CD player and cassette player but no where to plug in an iPod. Who travels with cassettes in this day and age?

The 9 day itinerary was wonderful. St Barths was a highlight.

Food was ok - nothing spectacular. Lobster night they served 1/2 tail, 2 small mussels & 2 scallops? Really? Tuscan Grill was good but the best meal we had by far was Ocean Liners.

Didn't care for the overall ship layout and decorating. A few of the artworks were curiously representations of weeds. I kill dandelions in my yard and don't want to see them on my cruise ship.

Michaels Club was a highlight although underutilized. We were able to get cocktails every day and night without restriction. Also soda & bottled water. The staff and concierge were wonderful.

Never a problem getting seats in the buffet. I thought the food was comparable to other ships we have been on.

Pool activities are definitely more subdued than RCI. Not as many wait staff near the pool. If you wanted a drink generally you got it yourself from the bar.

Overall we enjoyed ourselves but there were aspects we didn't really care for. Will probably go back to RCI for future cruises.

What did you do in St. Bart's? We are going on the similar itinerary in January on the Constellation and haven't decided what to do there.

Which cabin did you have? We originally booked a Celebrity Suite and then had such poor service from our butler in an S1 on Silhouette in Sept. (could not get wine glasses, ice tea etc. even after repeated requests) that I switched to a C1 for our Connie cruise in March. After 123 came out, we switched back to the Celebrity Suite. This time if we get a poor butler, I will complain immediately which we did not do on the Sil. We are not demanding and will not ask the butler to serve us dinner or at parties or make reservations for us, but I do expect the basics like ice and wine glasses.

What did you do in St. Bart's? We are going on the similar itinerary in January on the Constellation and haven't decided what to do there.

We've been there 2x. Being beach people we always head out to Saline Beach. It's about a $30 cab ride each way and difficult to get to if you are mobility challenged. No denying it's a gorgeous beach though!

St. Barths also has some fabulous high end shopping.

Other options would be to take a taxi tour of the island, rent mopeds or snorkeling.

We've been there 2x. Being beach people we always head out to Saline Beach. It's about a $30 cab ride each way and difficult to get to if you are mobility challenged. No denying it's a gorgeous beach though!

St. Barths also has some fabulous high end shopping.

Other options would be to take a taxi tour of the island, rent mopeds or snorkeling.

Thinking about renting a car with some others. Sounds like going to the beach would be great.

Loved this cruise. We were in a SS and had an amazing butler, Rudolph. Never saw our cabin steward or his assistant unless we came back to the cabin while they were cleaning it. Loved the Sky Suite. Ate in Blu all nights but two which we ate in Ocean Liners (GREAT!) and the Tuscan Grill (also GREAT). Great staff onboard. Everyone was always busy cleaning and sanitizing.

Love the M class ships and we are booked on Summit in April.

We also liked St Barth's. Great restaurants and the stores were stocked with things you can't find in the states. Had fun in Labadee but the food served was horrible and nothing for people that don't eat meat. Also there was flies everywhere! and on the food. Did see the dogs running loose but they looked well fed. Orient Beach on St Marten was closed due to huge amounts of sea grass and sea weed on the beach. Also a recent storm took a lot of the beach.

Capt Tasos was a hoot and like his brother Capt Dimitrios, easy on the eyes. I looked forward to his announcements every day.

Enjoy your cruise, where ever you go.:o

Edited by cruiserone

I might as well chime in on this cruise:

What a fantabulous roll call we had; over 5200 posts!!!! It was wonderful meeting most of you, and putting faces to names.

I loved Blu, Ocean Liners, and Tuscan Grill. Most of my misbehaving occurred at the Martini Bar, where Putu was always creating something for me to enjoy....

My butler, Nikola, was awesome. He could prepare a party for us with little warning. I think he managed to eclipse my first butler....

As information, several of us are doing the Summit repositioning cruise on April 25th; San Juan to Bayonne.

I hope you enjoyed the champagnes; I'm in the process of replenishing my stock, courtesy of Total Wine....