I need help -- which cruise to do

cl.klink

I really appreciate all these very thoughtful replies. Thanks, everyone.

I am the planner and she kind of goes with the flow a lot. In fact, we did our honeymoon in the 1980s this way. I let her plan the wedding and just tell me when to show up. I planned the honeymoon and made it a contest and a surprise -- neither she nor no one else knew where we were going, and all guests got to guess to compete for a prize. She found out on a plane ride to Chicago (where we stayed over night), and flew out the next day to Hawaii. Worked out great.

As for packing, we are one bag travelers (carry on only) and we both have packing lists that allow us to adjust and accommodate to a wide range of trip locations, so she really could go to any of these places. I'm going more for what will have the greatest umph-factor, make her feel special. I'm leaning to Alaska since it's the most "not in Kansas anymore" feeling place, and realizing that this will need to be one of several trips there to make sure we do it "right."

I think what I am learning is that I hope we live long healthy lives and go on lots of cruises to each of the places I'm thinking of.

- Joel

Nicely put Joel! I'm sure whatever you pick will be awesome!

Thanks for so many good responses. Appreciate the good help and insights.

I think I'm down to Princess or HAL for a southbound itinerary (see the most stuff, start off with the most dramatic change from home): 5/24 Seward --> Vancouver sailing on HAL Zaandam (best price, easier date for me to reach Anchorage in time) or 5/23 Whittier --> Vancouver on Star Princess. Seems like a coin flip to me, so leaning to the HAL option, unless someone here wants to tell me I'm crazy (about THIS issue, I mean).

- Joel

I have enjoyed following your decision-making. You are truly a wonderful partner who clearly understands what she will enjoy and readily adapt to--kudos on that and the entire celebratory concept! Even though it is a bit early in the season and you don't have time to add land, I love your Alaska leanings. I am not religious, but I am spiritual, if that makes any sense, and the overriding takeaway I have from our Alaskan cruise is that the majestic natural wonders will touch your soul! And for that trip, I don't think the line matters as much as the itinerary and what you make of it--go to the Alaska forum and get great advice on how to make the most of the port stops, as there are so many incredible options. Do spring for a balc if within your budget. You will love love love and enjoy some especially romantic moments while bundled up in the provided blankets with your own music, maps, binocs, beverages, etc. as you watch the amazing scenery and wildlife while gliding by.

Whatever you choose, she is one lucky gal. Hats off!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

My fiance and I took the Solstice Alaska cruise this past August and LOVED it. The best trip we've been on by far. If you want to my my extremely long review of what I liked (and didn't like) about it, you can here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43952605#post43952605

We ended up choosing the Solstice because it was the easiest with airfare. Flying to Seattle is much easier (and cheaper) than Vancouver or especially a 1 way that requires a flight in or out of Alaska. (Small planes, difficult flight schedules, expensive fares....no thanks.)

The highlight for us of the trip was the Tracy Arm. The glacier was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. We were able to get much closer to it than I thought we would even on the ship.

This was the first cruise that we didn't book shore excursions in advance. There was just so much going on in our lives and we had a hard time figuring out what we wanted to do. We booked on the boat and didn't have any problem with getting ones we wanted. And even if we had, there are SO many shore excursion operators once you get into the ports - the cruise lines are the primary source of income for most of the ports. So I don't think the inability to plan would be a major detraction for your wife.

A couple of plugs for the Solstice:

- The Solstice has Brent Nixon. I'm sure there are naturalists on other ships, but he was pretty incredible and is well loved by everyone who's taken the Solstice Alaska cruise.

- According to our cruise director, Patti, the Solstice is recognized with the best entertainment on all the Celebrity ships. I believe her - the shows and talent were standouts.

- Solstice is one of just a few ships that have a hot glass show on board. We were surprised by how much we enjoyed it. Alaska seems like the perfect itinerary to enjoy it - I can't imagine how hot it would get on a warmer itinerary. It was nice to snuggle up with a blanket and hot chocolate and watch artists make amazing creations by blowing glass.

No matter what you choose, it will be fantastic and your wife will love it. I can't speak to any of your options to give you a fair recommendation. But if any of the above speaks to you, then the Solstice may be worth considering if you can swing it with work.

My fiance and I took the Solstice Alaska cruise this past August and LOVED it. The best trip we've been on by far. If you want to my my extremely long review of what I liked (and didn't like) about it, you can here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43952605#post43952605

We ended up choosing the Solstice because it was the easiest with airfare. Flying to Seattle is much easier (and cheaper) than Vancouver or especially a 1 way that requires a flight in or out of Alaska. (Small planes, difficult flight schedules, expensive fares....no thanks.)

The highlight for us of the trip was the Tracy Arm. The glacier was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. We were able to get much closer to it than I thought we would even on the ship.

This was the first cruise that we didn't book shore excursions in advance. There was just so much going on in our lives and we had a hard time figuring out what we wanted to do. We booked on the boat and didn't have any problem with getting ones we wanted. And even if we had, there are SO many shore excursion operators once you get into the ports - the cruise lines are the primary source of income for most of the ports. So I don't think the inability to plan would be a major detraction for your wife.

A couple of plugs for the Solstice:

- The Solstice has Brent Nixon. I'm sure there are naturalists on other ships, but he was pretty incredible and is well loved by everyone who's taken the Solstice Alaska cruise.

- According to our cruise director, Patti, the Solstice is recognized with the best entertainment on all the Celebrity ships. I believe her - the shows and talent were standouts.

- Solstice is one of just a few ships that have a hot glass show on board. We were surprised by how much we enjoyed it. Alaska seems like the perfect itinerary to enjoy it - I can't imagine how hot it would get on a warmer itinerary. It was nice to snuggle up with a blanket and hot chocolate and watch artists make amazing creations by blowing glass.

No matter what you choose, it will be fantastic and your wife will love it. I can't speak to any of your options to give you a fair recommendation. But if any of the above speaks to you, then the Solstice may be worth considering if you can swing it with work.

Sounds great!

The 5/22 sailing date may be the deal killer for me for this trip. It seems to me that the place (i.e. Alaska) is more of the show than the cruise line, I'm starting to decide, so hard to go wrong. I certainly liked the S-class ship we sailed on last year in the Equinox, though.

- Joel

I highly recommend Glacier Bay as well. Only three cruise lines have permits to travel in the park, and you really want to experience that. DH and I have visited twice and are planning our third trip. No matter the departure point, Seward or Whittier, try to take a small boat tour either of Prince William Sound from Whittier or Kenai Fjords National Park from Seward. The experience from a smaller boat is amazing and so worthwhile. We did a private tour with Lazy Otter Charters in Whittier and a 12 person charter with Alaska Saltwater Lodge in Seward.

I envy your wife this lovely gift. No matter what you choose, she will be thrilled.

Throwing in my .02. If you do pick Alaska, pick an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay. Keep in mind that not all cruise lines have access to Glacier Bay. In my opinion, it is the #1 must see on an Alaska cruise itinerary. Princess, HAL, NCL, I believe all have access to this National Park.

Must say, what a thoughtful surprise for your wife's birthday.

Agree 100%. We did Alaska in 2012 on NCL specifically for glacier bay and it was the highlight of the trip. We're going back in 2014 on X, because we've done glacier bay and feel free to explore other options (and just prefer X). But I wouldn't want to have missed GB.

I would pick Alaska. If you can fit in a land trip (even just a few days) after the cruise then take the one way to Seward. If you can't then I'd recommend you take the round trip on Solstice. Similar advice for other lines you might consider.

If you do a land trip then do some basic research at least on the Alaska forum here on cruise critic and consider arraigning your own land trip independent of the cruise line. If you go to Denali then look at the different options for traveling into the park frequently discussed on the Alaska forum here on Cruise Critic.

Hello fellow Columbia, Missouri resident! Merry Christmas from Linda and Bob. We celebrated our Honeymoon in Bermuda and returned for our 10th anniversary in 2001 with our 3 children. We loved Bermuda very much and we intend to cruise Celebrity Summit back there within the next couple of years. It remains one of our top destinations.

Bermuda is pink beaches, friendly people, good food, very British in it's customs, and the island is easy to explore. My wife said the shopping was good, but the prices were a little more expensive than some islands. Celebrity Summit normally gets very good reviews and the flight connections from Missouri to New York are easy.

We also were on Infinity to Alaska several years ago which sailed from Seattle. It was a good cruise, but we are more beach people than mountain people we discovered. If you like the outdoors and a more rustic frontier feel to the ports that is the way to go.

You are doing a nice thing and I am sure your wife will love any decision that is made.

Edited by drychi
mistaken port

Throwing in my .02 ...

Following your pros and cons I'd go with Bermuda:

1. Celebrity Summit is a wonderful ship, one of our favorites

2. Still sailing on Celebrity, no surprises

3. Bermuda is a beautiful place, with warm friendly people, and more than enough to see and do in the three days you would be there

4. You get the relaxing sea days coming and going. Unwind on the way, relax on the way back.

I'm sure whichever you choose, she will be happy.

Our only request is that we get another good trip report from you!:D

Edited by kenevenpar

Hello fellow Columbia, Missouri resident! Merry Christmas from Linda and Bob. We celebrated our Honeymoon in Bermuda and returned for our 10th anniversary in 2001 with our 3 children. We loved Bermuda very much and we intend to cruise Celebrity Summit back there within the next couple of years. It remains one of our top destinations.

Bermuda is pink beaches, friendly people, good food, very British in it's customs, and the island is easy to explore. My wife said the shopping was good, but the prices were a little more expensive than some islands. Celebrity Summit normally gets very good reviews and the flight connections from Missouri to New York are easy.

We also were on Infinity to Alaska several years ago which sailed from Seattle. It was a good cruise, but we are more beach people than mountain people we discovered. If you like the outdoors and a more rustic frontier feel to the ports that is the way to go.

You are doing a nice thing and I am sure your wife will love any decision that is made.

Thanks, COMO neighbor! These are compelling points. I've been leaning toward Alaska but you are tempting me back eastward. I'm sympathetic to the issues you raise. Hmmm.

- Joel

Throwing in my .02 ...

Following your pros and cons I'd go with Bermuda:

1. Celebrity Summit is a wonderful ship, one of our favorites

2. Still sailing on Celebrity, no surprises

3. Bermuda is a beautiful place, with warm friendly people, and more than enough to see and do in the three days you would be there

4. You get the relaxing sea days coming and going. Unwind on the way, relax on the way back.

I'm sure whichever you choose, she will be happy.

Our only request is that we get another good trip report from you!:D

Also good points. Can you tell me why Summit is a favorite?

- Joel

Take her to New York City. Stay at The Carlyle. See a show. Visit Ground Zero. Hop on the ship. Hang out in Bermuda -- pink sand beaches, mopeds and it's oh so very civilized. The perfect getaway for a 60th birthday.

Personally, I don't think 7 days is any where near enough for Alaska. Save it for when you can do 3 weeks. But a few days in Bermuda with a handful of sea days and a night or two in NYC without all the logistical stress of racing in and out of Alaska and multiple time zones. Sailaway past Lady Liberty with champagne....now you're talking.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the excellent replies.

Verdict is Alaska. I can only be off in time to leave PM of 5/22, so could make a 5/23 departure from somewhere, but have to be back home 6/01.

Gonna wait for a good rate on these choices:

Princess Star, 5/23 Anchorage --> Vancouver

Princess Grand, 5/23 Vancouver --> Anchorage

HAL Noordam, 5/23 RT Vancouver

HAL Zaandam, 5/24 Anchorage --> Vancouver

Would consider HAL Oosterdam, 5/24 Vancouver --> Anchorage, which has a great rate right now, but can't get back home in time if arrive in Anchorage 5/31.

Again, thanks for all the input from everyone.

Happy New Year!

- Joel

What a very nice birthday surprise. Your wife will love her cruise and always remember you planned it for her. :)

We have cruised to each of the places you mention--but, not on Celebrity. [mostly RCL for these itineraries]

Here are just a couple of my thoughts about these itineraries. Bermuda is a beautiful island. It has a wonderful public transportation system that makes getting around the island pretty easy. There is lots to see--great historical sights and beaches. However, the water will be too cold to swim, for most people in May. We were there in late June and the water was still a little cool. It has the same latitude as NC. But, there is plenty to without swimming.

Alaska is one of our favorite cruises. You sound like this is something you really want to do. So, this is likely the cruise for you. Before you decide on the company spend some time on the Alaska port of call message board. There are real differences in itinerary between the companies. . . or even the same company. [i.e. Glacier Bay vs Hubbard Glacier] I wish I had known several things before I planned my cruise. HAL and Princess both have the most experience in Alaska.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

[i will throw in my 2 cents on Alaska. We did a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Seward and then visited Denali [the highlight of our trip]. We felt the cost of the airfare and time element was too much to spend such a short time there and see only a small portion of the state, as we would see on a round trip cruise. --sorry, JMHO]

I know you have a time issue. As much as I love Alaska I think you will need at least 8-9 days to make even a round trip cruise possible.

Edit: I see you made your decision while I was typing. Sorry!

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

All of those cruise options were very nice choices, but you can't go wrong with Alaska. Just consider this trip a "preview of coming attractions" or an appetizer before the main meal. Once you realize how much there really is to see and do there, you will likely want to plan a longer trip for a later date.

I'm not sure whether anyone has mentioned it, but even though the cruiselines mention the arrival or departure point as "Anchorage," none of those ships actually sail to or from Anchorage itself. Princess ships use Whittier, and the HAL and Celebrity ships use Seward. Both of these ports are on the Kenai peninsula and are south of Anchorage. Travel time is 2-3 hours, depending on the port and mode of travel. Of course, you can arrange transfers with the cruiseline, but you need to factor that transfer into your travel calculations since time is an issue for you.

Of the four choices you have listed, my personal choice would be one of the three that ends in Vancouver. The Princess Grand cruise (Vancouver to Whittier) would mean you would disembark in Whittier and then make your way to Anchorage and fly home from there....more hassle at the end of the cruise, a longer flight home, and depending on your airport, perhaps fewer flight options. Disembarking in Vancouver is much more time friendly and possibly will provide you with more flight options. Basically what I'm saying is to put your longest travel time at the beginning of your cruise (since you are picking up time traveling east to west.)

Everybody has their personal preferences and tastes, but I wouldn't get too wrapped up in which cruiseline to take. Alaska is the star of this trip, not the ship. The port times run later, the days are long, and you will want to spend as much time exploring as possible. Even on the sea days, you will find yourself out on deck (or your balcony, if you have one) looking at glaciers or watching for whales or wildlife. All of the cruiselines have naturalists and/or Park Rangers to provide information and commentary. I've done two Alaska cruises on Celebrity and three on HAL, and all were fine. I've also done a couple of extended land trips which were even better.

Alaska is beautiful. I hope it will work out for you.

Thanks so much for all the excellent replies.

Verdict is Alaska. I can only be off in time to leave PM of 5/22, so could make a 5/23 departure from somewhere, but have to be back home 6/01.

Gonna wait for a good rate on these choices:

Princess Star, 5/23 Anchorage --> Vancouver

Princess Grand, 5/23 Vancouver --> Anchorage

HAL Noordam, 5/23 RT Vancouver

HAL Zaandam, 5/24 Anchorage --> Vancouver

Would consider HAL Oosterdam, 5/24 Vancouver --> Anchorage, which has a great rate right now, but can't get back home in time if arrive in Anchorage 5/31.

- Joel

I started out with five cruises on NCL, but then graduated to Celebrity and I am a VERY happy camper with them! I DID however stray last fall, and did a 14 night Alaska Cruise on Sapphire Princess, and I may be on Grand for a 15 night Hawaii cruise in February. (I have not tried HAL yet.)

I think you will be VERY pleased with the ALASKA decision and I hope you have good weather that early. The scenery is just nothing short of boggleminding. :D

A couple of things to consider that might make you lean toward the two Princess itineraries. Its almost impossible to find a SHIP that matches the "sleek chic" beauty of a Celebrity S class, but Princess was pretty nice, and in some respects the SERVICE on Princess was equal to, or even better than Celebrity. :eek:

Princess also has a really GREAT, VERY reasonably priced ground shuttle, that takes you off the boat first thing and transfers you to the SEATAC airport, with express pass through the Canadian border. (OR from SEATAC to the pier in Vancouver) We used it last year in both directions and were VERY pleased.

The Airfare to/from SEATAC is usually several hundreds of dollars per person cheaper than flying in or out of Vancouver.

At ANY rate enjoy your cruise! I predict you will want to do it AGAIN when you have more time after retirement. ;)

By the way, my favorite online site is showing your itineraries at $649pp for an ocean view, with $160 OBC. MORE OBC if you are military and/or stockholder.

Edited by teecee60

• 2 months later...

Your options are so totally different that there is no way that anyone can make an intelligent or even stupid recommendation. However, I will make a stupid one. Alaska. She wants to go and Alaska is a great place to visit. Who cares what ship you use to get to Ak although both HAL and Princess have the advantage that they go to Glacier Bay.

DON