Celebrity Disappoints Big Time

dileep

It's very simple to put a hold on a cabin online for 24 hours (and it usually stays a little longer). By the way, no deposit necessary.

I've 24 hour held as well even post final payment period, and canceled and rebooked for 3 days waiting over a holiday weekend for my TA to book it (I knew she was out of town), so I could get my TA perks. If I booked directly, I couldn't transfer to TA after final payments.

Post #36 covered this.

So sorry. I guess I missed it. I went back and read post 36. I don't think this was covered. Obviously he spoke to a rep and a cabin can be held online without speaking to anyone. I've done it many times when I can't reach my TA.

Edited by Ma Bell

Keep in mind that Celebrity hasn't "said" anything. The OP has said that Celebrity told him something. We are getting only one side of the story. As any human behavior expert will tell you, the version of a story that people will tell about themselves will always avoid details that doesn't favor the story teller. HUH? So you assume the OP is lying?

We all do it. Not all of us.

Have you ever read a single post by someone writing that they are disappointed with how something turned out but who defends the cruise line's side of the situation? :)

Do you know that the cruise line has a different version?

Likely no more than we know the OP was telling the 100% truth. It's very odd that an agent would take 100% payment post final payments and say a refund is possible. Possible, yes -- likely, no.

The 24 hour hold with no deposit is the traditional way agents handle such things, not payment in full.

So sorry. I guess I missed it. I went back and read post 36. I don't think this was covered. Obviously he spoke to a rep and a cabin can be held online without speaking to anyone. I've done it many times when I can't reach my TA.

According to the OP in his first post he says: "I asked if they would hold the reservation for 24 hours so I could find other flights. They would not..."

Have you done it after final payment? Maybe it works differently that late in the process.

It's very simple to put a hold on a cabin online for 24 hours (and it usually stays a little longer). By the way, no deposit necessary.

That is exactly what I asked for, but since it was so close to the sail date they would not hold the reservation. The agent put me on hold to talk to his supervisor and came back with the option of charging the card but a full refund if cancelled within 24 hours. Celebrity airfare was very expensive and I wanted to find something more reasonable. Flights tend to be non-refundable and I did not want to book flights without having a firm cruise reservation.

If I found acceptable flights, we were good to go and the charge would stay. If not, I figured the full refund before my next statement would make this a zero sum game.

I called and cancelled within 2 hours and fully expected that the refund would be processed within a few days.

I trusted their competence, but now I know that I should not have. I AM NOT ACCUSING THEM OF SCAMMING ME, JUST UTTER INCOMPETENCE!

And that is the problem, now isn't it? We don't know exactly what went on or was said because we weren't there. I want to believe the OP, but the sheer outrageousness of charging $9,500 without knowing he even wanted the booking and with the expectation of a full and immediate refund creates serious doubt to many of us experienced cruisers.

FYI: I also don't believe that you have never described an incident in such a way that made you look better than what really happened. Do you also walk on water? :rolleyes:

That is exactly what I asked for, but since it was so close to the sail date they would not hold the reservation. The agent put me on hold to talk to his supervisor and came back with the option of charging the card but a full refund if cancelled within 24 hours. Celebrity airfare was very expensive and I wanted to find something more reasonable. Flights tend to be non-refundable and I did not want to book flights without having a firm cruise reservation.

If I found acceptable flights, we were good to go and the charge would stay. If not, I figured the full refund before my next statement would make this a zero sum game.

I called and cancelled within 2 hours and fully expected that the refund would be processed within a few days.

I trusted their competence, but now I know that I should not have. I AM NOT ACCUSING THEM OF SCAMMING ME, JUST UTTER INCOMPETENCE!

The nuance that Ma Bell refers to is doing a hold online without calling Celebrity directly. That process allows a hold for 24 hours with no deposit. I have never tried that after final payment was due, but Cle-Guy and Ma Bell both said that would work.

To me, that is a good lesson for all of us to learn in how to accomplish what you tried to do but with less stress.

I would expect that all of your payment will be returned eventually as it has already started. The concern I have (and what has been mentioned by others) is that the policy is pretty clear that after the final payment due date, 100% refunds are not given. I would be interested in knowing how much of your total they have not refunded. If it matches what the defined penalty would be based on number of days until your cruise, then you are going to have to battle pretty hard to get it.

I wish you well in your quest but I agree with many others in that verbal promises are hard to prove and it's even harder to hold a company to one that violates its written policy.

I wonder if perhaps X understood the OP was definitely cruising, but only unsure of the flights portions at that time, and therefore booked the cruise confirmed (and non-refundable), and was allowing the 24 hour cancellation period which follows airline rules, i.e. cancel the airline portion of booking within 24 hours if OP found alternative flights, leaving only the cruise portion of the reservation as confirmed and not refundable...?

I';ve never booked both cruise and air with X so can't be sure.... never found a deal better with X than direct with airlines, and keep my airline reservation to change as needed by myself, and use miles and points if they work.

Edited by cle-guy

According to the OP in his first post he says: "I asked if they would hold the reservation for 24 hours so I could find other flights. They would not..."

Have you done it after final payment? Maybe it works differently that late in the process.

Yes, especially after final payment.

The nuance that Ma Bell refers to is doing a hold online without calling Celebrity directly. That process allows a hold for 24 hours with no deposit. I have never tried that after final payment was due, but Cle-Guy and Ma Bell both said that would work.

To me, that is a good lesson for all of us to learn in how to accomplish what you tried to do but with less stress.

I would expect that all of your payment will be returned eventually as it has already started. The concern I have (and what has been mentioned by others) is that the policy is pretty clear that after the final payment due date, 100% refunds are not given. I would be interested in knowing how much of your total they have not refunded. If it matches what the defined penalty would be based on number of days until your cruise, then you are going to have to battle pretty hard to get it.

I wish you well in your quest but I agree with many others in that verbal promises are hard to prove and it's even harder to hold a company to one that violates its written policy.

Exactly right. I don't ever talk to them. I put a hold and let my TA make the reservation.

Estimating when the OP made the booking, and when the cruise might be...

For Holiday Sailings, under normal Terms of Contract one loses 75% of the cost of the Reservation less Taxes & Fees utilizing the following Deadlines:

Cruises 1 to 5 Days = Span from 42 to 15 Days Prior to Sail Date

Cruises 6+ Nights = Span from 42 to 22 Days Prior to Sail Date

Beyond those Dates is a 100% Loss less Taxes & Fees

I have read here on CC several payment refunds do seem to be the norm... One for Taxes & Fees and and another for the Cruise Fare (when one Qualifies).

However in this case the OP says he has so far recieved 3 Refund Payments (odd number ? )

But at the same time he is still owed $ 6000... And that would indeed be equal to aprox the 75% Penalty on a $ 9000+ Cruise

If Celebrity will be refunding the balance, I am guessing they are currently investigating further to make sure the Refund is warranted... If a Celebrity Phone Rep promised that the Booking could indeed be canceled without obligation (not my understanding of Celebrity's T&CS ) then that could take some time to investigate beyond just the Accounting Dept's normal procedures

Hopefully, this mess will be cleared up for the OP to his satisfaction soon

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

And that is the problem, now isn't it? We don't know exactly what went on or was said because we weren't there. I want to believe the OP, but the sheer outrageousness of charging $9,500 without knowing he even wanted the booking and with the expectation of a full and immediate refund creates serious doubt to many of us experienced cruisers.

FYI: I also don't believe that you have never described an incident in such a way that made you look better than what really happened. Do you also walk on water? :rolleyes:

I interview/investigate people as part of my job. Some tell the total truth, some do not. some make honest mistakes duiring their interview even when my investigation might not be about them, and their is no reason for them to slant the truth.

My point is that many people tell the truth without embellishing their side of the story.

Their does not even seem to be two sides of the issue in this case. Just inept X/RCL financial policies and possibly inept employees.

Personally, I would never put $9,500 down on a 24-hour hold for a cruise. :confused:

Neither would I.

Plus, I have never heard that you can get a full refund within 24 hours, even within the penalty phase/final payment.

If that was the case, why doesn't Celebrity just offer a 24 hour hold (I know, they hope you won't cancel) if you are within the final payment date.

I agree that this is very likely what happened, but the booking department needed to make sure that this was a different kind of deal. Miscommunication or lack of communication between booking agents at Celebrity and Accounting at Royal Caribbean could be the culprit.

Fortunately, American Express stepped in yesterday and took the remaining balance of my credit card.

Did you have the name of the Rep that promised the refund? I would have asked for them and made them explain why I wasn't receiving the refund.

Neither would I.

Plus, I have never heard that you can get a full refund within 24 hours, even within the penalty phase/final payment.

If that was the case, why doesn't Celebrity just offer a 24 hour hold (I know, they hope you won't cancel) if you are within the final payment date.

In fact they do, this is the standard. Done it a few times myself, as has MaBell.

[/color]

I interview/investigate people as part of my job. Some tell the total truth, some do not. some make honest mistakes duiring their interview even when my investigation might not be about them, and their is no reason for them to slant the truth.

My point is that many people tell the truth without embellishing their side of the story.

Their does not even seem to be two sides of the issue in this case. Just inept X/RCL financial policies and possibly inept employees.

Some of us realize that there are always two sides to a story. Some, as you appear to be, always assume that the company is at fault, and the customer is being victimized due to deliberate deceit or, as your obvious bias makes clear you believe, "Just inept X/RCL financial policies and possibly inept employees". When people post anonymously on public media to gain support for a cause, it is not at all unusual that they will include all of the positives and none of the negatives of that cause in their narrative.

Much, much different situation than being interviewed by an investigator where what they say could go on record and be subject to legal challenge at a later date. Apples and oranges. :rolleyes:

Edited by fortinweb

Hmmm always suspicious when people defend their position by stating something like this

Really? Are you one of those people who doesn't believe in science? Human behavior traits are well documented. But, one needs to pull one's head out of the sand (or elsewhere :)) to accept that simple fact.

My condolences that facts offend you.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Some of us realize that there are always two sides to a story. Some, as you appear to be, always assume that the company is at fault, and the customer is being victimized due to deliberate deceit or, as your obvious bias makes clear you believe, "Just inept X/RCL financial policies and possibly inept employees". When people post anonymously on public media to gain support for a cause, it is not at all unusual that they will include all of the positives and none of the negatives of that cause in their narrative.

Much, much different situation than being interviewed by an investigator where what they say could go on record and be subject to legal challenge at a later date. Apples and oranges. :rolleyes:

LOL

I sail on X almost exclusively. It is my favorite cruise line.

I suspect that at least 99% of my post on CC are very positive about X. My wife and I have never had a significant problem with X, but that does not make the OP any less believable.

X problems in customer service and their problems making timely refunds are well documented.

You choose to jump to conclusions about me as evidenced in your quoted post.

See red type.

I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about. When we needed a simple deposit refund, Celebrity told us it would take 1 to 2 billing cycles. We actually got the refund within two weeks, but it was only $900.

It sounds like Celebrity has agreed to refund his money, it is just taking longer than OP is happy with. Hey, he only made the reservation a little more than three weeks ago, then cancelled - then there was Thanksgiving (which I am sure meant short staff in accounting). - then probably some extra approvals up the line for a full refund (since that is not normal procedure). If it was three months I could see his complaint, but three weeks? Really?

I doubt they would refund any funds that they had not yet received! And I believe there lies the real issue.....

The bean counters need to have those funds in their "busy" hands before they will issue any money/refund back in the other direction!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I doubt they would refund any funds that they had not yet received! And I believe there lies the real issue.....

The bean counters need to have those funds in their "busy" hands before they will issue any money/refund back in the other direction!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh they have already received the funds. No way AMEX would back out a charge if it hadn't already been hammered. They would simply cut the processing. The OP said the charge had been removed.