Freedom of the Seas - Mechanical Problems

Oceanswave

I am on the phone with RCCL right now - 10 am ET Tuesday morning 12/23. CS agent says - and she also checked with supervisor- that no updates for the 12/28 Freedom sailing are available right now. She has no indication of when any update may be available - but she did say and I quote - "prior cruises have been given OBC due to problems with this ship. "

I expressed my concern that getting information out over the next 2 days (holiday) may be difficult. She validated my concern, stating there would be fewer CS reps in the call center, and executives would also be on holiday. But she did say cruise operations would be running as normal - however information/updates about our 12/28 itinerary might be slower to appear.

She was nice and polite. I was too. Just waiting it out. Hope we find out something soon so I can change our excursions before we leave home. NOW - back to wrapping, cooking, cleaning - and oh yes PACKING - I haven't even thought about that yet......ok maybe a little.

Thank you for the update. I was about to start booking our excursions after having made final decisions over the Thanksgiving holiday. I've held off hoping to feel better about what time and ports will apply. I REALLY hope we get some kind of confirmation soon. The Dec 21 cruise heard about their port times on Tuesday or Wednesday before their sail date. Fingers crossed!

We boarded on Dec 14th and received $175 OBC for Interior stateroom. Diamond Members and above got a little more...

in regards to onboard credit compensation, I can understand a different compensation based on a cabin category (as the lower category would be less than an upper category) but why in the world would there be a difference in OBC based on one's Crown and Anchor status?

M

in regards to onboard credit compensation, I can understand a different compensation based on a cabin category (as the lower category would be less than an upper category) but why in the world would there be a difference in OBC based on one's Crown and Anchor status?

M

It was all solely based on cabin category based on the letters I read. Crown and Anchor status had nothing to do with it :)

Edited by ryano

I am on the phone with RCCL right now - 10 am ET Tuesday morning 12/23. CS agent says - and she also checked with supervisor- that no updates for the 12/28 Freedom sailing are available right now. She has no indication of when any update may be available - but she did say and I quote - "prior cruises have been given OBC due to problems with this ship. "

I expressed my concern that getting information out over the next 2 days (holiday) may be difficult. She validated my concern, stating there would be fewer CS reps in the call center, and executives would also be on holiday. But she did say cruise operations would be running as normal - however information/updates about our 12/28 itinerary might be slower to appear.

She was nice and polite. I was too. Just waiting it out. Hope we find out something soon so I can change our excursions before we leave home. NOW - back to wrapping, cooking, cleaning - and oh yes PACKING - I haven't even thought about that yet......ok maybe a little.

Thanks for that update. If you learn anything, will you post it here or on the meet and mingle thread? Thanks so much

M

What a rude and unnecessary post. Maybe you can address why 3 of the past 4 Freedom cruisers got compensation but one cruise did not and the company will not even address it. A child being ill has nothing to do with it; the company is the one repeating the line and saying that is the reason when clear as day to anyone that it is not. Are you on the payroll???

No, I am not on the payroll but, I wish I was. I stand by my "rude and unnecessary" statement. Get over it.

A lot of truth to it though.

And no, I am absolutely NOT on the RCI payroll.

That's what I'm thinking. Too many suggesting the child's medical condition was a Royal Caribbean reuse. Not buying it.

Maxwell, I think you're glossing over or ignoring some of absurd comments being posted here. For people reading this thread that don't have a vested interest in your outcome, it's a little difficult to let slide.

I don't believe this for a moment. Other cruise lines return port charges when they miss a private island stop in the Bahamas. The private stops are leased out by the Bahamas with an agreement of a per head fee when the ships are able to call on the port (tender in). None of the cruise lines are transparent in breaking down fees per port. But it is not accurate to say it is one fee for two ports. This is a case of being armed with the knowledge to ask because if you don't who will advocate for you? No one.

You are likely correct as I did a search on Coco Cay port fee and found the following which the poster said they got small amount, which she said " didn't amount to much", fee back because Coco Cay was missed and it was a Serenade itinerary that also went into Nassau.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=44838389

I seen it posted here on CC quite a few times about the Bahamas having only one fee for all port stops there.

I know we paid about $17 less in port fees with our booking about six months before our last cruise than our friends did when they booked the same cruise 2 1/2 weeks prior so these fees must have increased as none of the ports had changed between the two bookings. None of the ports were missed but if one had been, IMO, we likely wouldn't have gotten a port fee refund while friends likely would have.;)

It was all solely based on cabin category based on the letters I read. Crown and Anchor status had nothing to do with it :)

Thanks Ryano, the compensation per room category is pretty standard and as I expected however the previous poster wrote that ".... Diamond members and above got a little more..."

Compensation per C&A level didn't make sense to me but since I read it on the internet I figured it must be true :D

M

Thank you for the update. I was about to start booking our excursions after having made final decisions over the Thanksgiving holiday. I've held off hoping to feel better about what time and ports will apply. I REALLY hope we get some kind of confirmation soon. The Dec 21 cruise heard about their port times on Tuesday or Wednesday before their sail date. Fingers crossed!

I will post anything I see or hear - BUT if others on this sailing would also call (I was only on hold about 1 minute) I am a firm believer in the "squeaky wheel" theory. If more of us want to know maybe they will be more forthcoming with a decision - here is the phone #(866) 562-7625:cool::):cool::)

Uh oh... :eek: Just reading this thread after a long time of not visiting the forum

We booked last week for an outside cabin for the new years cruise of Western Caribbean and it comes with $50 OBC each

We specifically chose this itinerary after debate about the options and a desire to see a bit of Mexico and Jamaica so fingers crossed we do get the time there :)

Hopefully it's not going to be so little time off the ship but if they do significantly up the OBC (and I mean significantly would be nice!) we will doubtless enjoy the time in lovely sunshine (fingers crossed again)......

We absolutely LOVED our trip on IOS, not so much our time with Jade from NCL... Really hope FOS still gives us a great vacation (sorry UK friends, "Holiday"... I have been in the USA for 6 months now and I am picking up a few language habits :D)

I called customer service 800-256-6649 and the rep that I spoke to said corporate will not be compensating any of those who were on the Dec 7th cruise. She told me the answer would be the same no matter who I called.

This is very disturbing to me how RCI is treating their customers unequally. Why would they give onboard credit and future cruise discounts to those on the cruises before and after the Dec 7th cruise.

RCI has loss my future business and I will definitely not be recommending them at all.

Maybe try refreshing, mine definitely says the 28th and has the western ports posted.

DAY PORT ARRIVAL DEPARTURE

Sunday Port Canaveral, Florida 4:30 p.m.

Monday CocoCay, Bahamas 7:30 a.m. 3:30 p.m.

Tuesday At sea

Wednesday Montego Bay, Jamaica 9:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

Thursday George Town, Grand Cayman 7:00 a.m. 2:30 p.m.

Friday Cozumel, Mexico 10:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

Saturday At sea

Sunday Port Canaveral, Florida 6:00 a.m.

Maybe try refreshing, mine definitely says the 28th and has the western ports posted.

Sunday Port Canaveral, Florida 4:30 p.m.

Monday CocoCay, Bahamas 7:30 a.m. 3:30 p.m.

Tuesday At sea

Thursday George Town, Grand Cayman 7:00 a.m. 2:30 p.m.

Saturday At sea

I hit refresh several times and then called. At first she said. Nope. Then all of a sudden she said that this was the schedule! I think it is BRAND NEW! Breaking news!!!!! @lol

Why was 12/21 cruise compensated when it was originally supposed to be same itinerary as 12/7 cruise? Royal is not being consistent. I think that is all anyone wants. Instead Royal is hiding behind the ill child and using that as a wall to ignore guests who spent a lot of $$$$

No one said that a sick child should not receive medical care; but most also said the ship loped back to PC over two days. If the medical need was determined that it needed to be in a US hospital they had to pass Key West, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach....to get to PC at 14 knots. I'm not going to second guess the medical care of a child, but this does not seem to convey a sense of urgency to me.

The bottomline is that people on 12/7 cruise, even if no child was sick at all, were due to get about half of the port time they had paid for. Same with 12/21. Yet one of those cruises got compensation right off the bat and one didn't. Remove the child from the equation (as that could not have been known at boarding time of 12/7) and simply ask why are people not being treated consistently?

I wasn't on the cruise but my horse in the race is for the thousands and thousands of dollars per year that I spend with Royal Caribbean I want them to treat me fairly and in a consistent manner. I want them to treat ALL guests fairly and consistently. It is clear to me that 12/7 guests are not being handled with consistency OR fairness. They should get what the 12/21 guests got, or the 12/21 guests should get what 12/7 got; nothing. Treat them equally and I am okay either way.

Thank you for this post! I was on this cruise and this is all I am asking Royal for...to be treated equally period! End of story.

Just got this email at 6:57 PM CT 12/23/14

Dear Freedom of the Seas Guest:

We are writing to provide you with important information regarding modifications to the scheduled itinerary of the December 28, 2014 sailing of Freedom of the Seas.

Freedom of the Seas is currently experiencing a small restriction on her top speed. All equipment is fully operational and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew. However, it is necessary to make some slight changes to the itinerary for Freedom of the Seas’ December 28 sailing. All scheduled ports on the itinerary – CocoCay, Montego Bay, GeorgeTown and Cozumel – will remain, with adjustments made to the time spent in port.

The revised itinerary will be:

Sunday Port Canaveral 4:30 p.m.

Monday CocoCay, Bahamas 7:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

Tuesday At sea

Thursday GeorgeTown, Grand Cayman 7:00 a.m. 2:30 p.m.

Saturday At sea

There should be no further impact to the itinerary, unless we encounter inclement weather during our voyage. Any adverse weather conditions, such as strong winds, could further reduce the ship's overall speed.

We apologize for these developments and their impact on your scheduled itinerary. Our staff in Port Canaveral will do their very best to minimize any further inconvenience to you and our shipboard team looks forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Thanks Siestaclaud -

We just received the email as well as an automated phone message. I am happy we will make all the ports, even though the port times are reduced, some by several hours. I see that RCCL does leave the door open for other delays by noting weather or wind conditions.

I also see that there is no mention of any compensation. We've had itinerary changes before and don't expect compensation, but I think RCCL set a precedent by offering generous OBC for several of the recent cruises. Considering the extra cost for this cruise, it would have been a nice gesture.

I am pleased that RCCL let me know of the changes.

M

No, I am not on the payroll but, I wish I was. I stand by my "rude and unnecessary" statement. Get over it.

The problem is that many of us don't live in Florida like yourself and have instead spent thousand on flights to get on the cruise. Sure it's no big deal if you're local and hop on discounted cruises with just a car ride. For the rest of us who travelled great distances and spent a lot of money getting there to see the sights at various ports it is a big deal to not be getting compensation for a terrible cruise.

Has anyone received anything about their 25% future cruise credit from the 11/30 Sailing?

I was on the 11/30 cruise and haven't received anything yet myself. While booking on board for my next cruise, he said we'd get a letter in the mail 6-8 weeks with a dollar amount that we could just call in and use for our upcoming cruise.

Hate to hear about the cruise after ours not getting any compensation. Maybe because we completley missed our entire itinerary(minus Coco Cay) made a difference? That and the fact we found out at 5pm the day before of change AND boarding was a nightmare with long lines.

I had an oceanview and received $275 plus 25% off future cruise. It kinda made me wish I had upgraded to balcony for an extra $100. Then the credit would have been $500, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The problem is that many of us don't live in Florida like yourself and have instead spent thousand on flights to get on the cruise. Sure it's no big deal if you're local and hop on discounted cruises with just a car ride. For the rest of us who travelled great distances and spent a lot of money getting there to see the sights at various ports it is a big deal to not be getting compensation for a terrible cruise.

What does pennielz's address have to do with anything. It would appear from your 'Something's Fishy' comments that you're a conspiracy theorist and rumor monger who enjoys fueling the conspiracy theory.

What does pennielz's address have to do with anything. It would appear from your 'Something's Fishy' comments that you're a conspiracy theorist and rumor monger who enjoys fueling the conspiracy theory.

For those who live locally in Florida and didn't think the fiasco on the 07/12 cruise was a big deal it does make a difference where you live. Like I said, I spent thousands to fly to Florida to take a cruise. I didn't just hop in a car. This cruise cost me a fortune and was a huge disappointment. I wanted to explore other countries and see the sites. I am not there to sit on a floating hotel for the majority of the time. As for conspiracy theorist- believe me you'd be surprised what big corporations will do to make a buck. I am just voicing what I heard and am interested in what other "stories" other cruisers were told. I would like to get compensation for this cruise and am looking for all the information I can get to back my claim.