Princess airport transfer and luggage tags

shredie

I should know this. We haven't done a Princess transfer in a few years, and I don't remember what we did. Is it necessary to put the Princess luggage tag on before the flight? When I have done my own transfer, I just wait until after baggage claim to put the Princess tag on. With Princess "in charge," does the baggage just go to them? This is also an international flight, so I suppose customs works in there somewhere. LAX to Rio. Thanks!

I should know this. We haven't done a Princess transfer in a few years, and I don't remember what we did. Is it necessary to put the Princess luggage tag on before the flight? When I have done my own transfer, I just wait until after baggage claim to put the Princess tag on. With Princess "in charge," does the baggage just go to them? This is also an international flight, so I suppose customs works in there somewhere. LAX to Rio. Thanks!

I always put my Luggage Tags on after I clear Customs; then look for the Princess "Greeter".

They will have an area set up for the luggage to be transferred to the ship.

Have a great Cruise.

We have been told by airline employees that should the plan be overloaded sometimes luggage is not put on the flight with you but if they see cruise tags on luggage it gets priority so we now always put it on before leaving home.

After many, many flights and no problem with luggage tags our last flight to FLL resulted in the tags (2 on 1 bag) getting torn to pieces to the point we had to borrow a stapler from the pre-cruise hotel to fix them. We will apply clear tape over them in the future.

We now print out and take a couple of extra just in case we need new ones when we pick up our luggage at the airport.

With the new tags you print out it is not easy like the old ones that had the sticky ends to put them on at the airport. Directions call for stapling the ends and we don't carry a stapler with us.

Edited by BJS

Never know if it will go astray.

I don't agree though about the airline giving the bag priority due to the cruise tag. We had our bags with cruiseline tags taken off a United flight from Den-YVR due to weight restrictions on the flight. Luckily we went 2 days ahead so they were delivered right to our room at the Pan Pacific.

We asked the same question of United personnel and were told if the bags were not lost they pay no attention to cruiseline tags.

Why???? :confused::eek:

Cato :)

There are long threads addressing just this question!! I know cause I asked the same thing earlier this year.

Logic: If you tag your luggage before your flight and the luggage gets "lost," the chances are better that it makes it onto the ship eventually (after the ship has sailed) if the cruise luggage tag is on the bag - especially relevant if you fly in the day of the cruise.

We now put our cruise luggage tags in vinyl pockets and attach them to our bags before we leave home - even if we are flying in a day early - rather safe than sorry.

There are long threads addressing just this question!! I know cause I asked the same thing earlier this year.

Logic: If you tag your luggage before your flight and the luggage gets "lost," the chances are better that it makes it onto the ship eventually (after the ship has sailed) if the cruise luggage tag is on the bag - especially relevant if you fly in the day of the cruise.

We now put our cruise luggage tags in vinyl pockets and attach them to our bags before we leave home - even if we are flying in a day early - rather safe than sorry.

Hmmmm...may need to rethink what I have been doing (attaching the Princess tag only when we arrive at the embarking terminal). A duplicate is also a good idea.

Short version of my story from one of those threads:

Due to flight delays we arrived at the destination airport to be told we could make the ship if we didn't wait for our luggage, which was tagged before leaving home. Princess was able to ID the luggage from the tags, and delivered the bags to the ship just as the final door was shut. (Thanks!)

Moral: always tag with Princess tags before leaving home.

With the new tags you print out it is not easy like the old ones that had the sticky ends to put them on at the airport. Directions call for stapling the ends and we don't carry a stapler with us.

We punch holes in the tags and attach them using electrical ties.

No matter what, if I have a Princess transfer, I always put Princess tags on the bag before leaving home. They've never been removed at any airport check-in. Plus, I bring extras for "just in case." Customs doesn't have any effect.

Gee I think I should re-evaluate my luggage tag practice. We generally have a tag in the outside pocket of each checked bag. After we retrieve them we put them on the outside after removing the airline tags. I always take extra tags with my paperwork all folded and ready should I need them and yes I also have those little swing line staplers in the outside pockets as well. You can get them at the dollar store so no big deal. Started this when Princess changed the luggage tags to our responsibility by no longer supplying them.

I always put the Princess luggage tags on before leaving for the airport. We had a canceled flight one year and the ticket agent actually paged us and got us on the next available plane ... Others were still standing in line to get on another flight (maybe because we have a small airport Eugene, OR). So, I always have the tags on "just in case, again"

Debr

See, I told you I should know this stuff! ;) I'm going to put the tags on in LA using one of the plastic holders with the loop. I'm also putting one in the front pocket of the bag. Thanks for all the advice.

See, I told you I should know this stuff! ;) I'm going to put the tags on in LA using one of the plastic holders with the loop. I'm also putting one in the front pocket of the bag. Thanks for all the advice.

Would there be any value in doing this if one was coming from Australia and embarking in FLL ( we'll be on a Brisbane-LA-Miami flight)?

I also use the clear plastic luggage tag holders for the Princess tags and attach these with cable ties. It would be near impossible for the tags to be torn off (plus they are easier to spot on the carousel).