Pillow Top vs Egg Crate Mattress Pads

DrSch

So, used to be I would request an egg crate mattress pad on Princess.

They have now added a new item called the Pillow Top Mattress topper.

You can't request both.

It used to be that the eggcrate was one request for both sides, now you can request the Pillow top for each person on a queen.

Anyone have any experience with this, and is there a difference, or are they just calling it something new?

Ill be on the Emerald in a few weeks, and will report back if no one else knows the answer.

Thanks

So, used to be I would request an egg crate mattress pad on Princess.

They have now added a new item called the Pillow Top Mattress topper.

You can't request both.

It used to be that the eggcrate was one request for both sides, now you can request the Pillow top for each person on a queen.

Anyone have any experience with this, and is there a difference, or are they just calling it something new?

Ill be on the Emerald in a few weeks, and will report back if no one else knows the answer.

Thanks

First, before I forget, you mentioned that you cannot request both... where did you find a place to request this? Is it in the Personalizer and I have missed it, or is there some special request list that you give to Princess separately?

Now on to your issue...

I had a really bad (HORRIBLE) set of twin mattresses in a queen configuration on a B2B on the Carribean Princess a couple of months ago. I reported this to my steward and he said there were no mattresses available (really???) to change with the ones in my inside room. He said that he would try to do what he could to help out. It was bad as I was SOLO and I sleep diagonally on queen mattresses so it was really bad given the deep depressions or valleys in the middle of each twin mattress combined with the peaks of the mattress frame around the edges of each twin. (OUCH) He put on a queen sized pillow top mattress topper that did help out a little bit, definitely better than the egg crate foam toppers would have been though. I was still a bit uncomfortable and the steward let me go to the open rooms on turn around day to choose what mattresses I wanted. I found a nearly new set of pillow top mattresses (from a balcony room) and was much more comfortable on the second leg.

I have attached a picture of the topper for everyone to see.

Hope that this helps in your decision... A picture is worth a thousand words.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

1241814784_PrincessPillowTopMattressTopper.jpg.c550c805946ab051940e82297ed957b4.jpg

Edited by cruisehappy001
Typo fix

The onboard preferences section asks about a shower stool, and bed configuration, but I don't see anything about pillow top mattress toppers. I don't see it on the actual cruise personalizer either.

Any idea where to "click"?

Our TA automatically requests for us on each cruise, so it is something she has access to in the order management system. As far as I know you cannot add it yourself via the personalizer. Either call your TA or Princess directly to get it added to your reservation.

My husband and I have an Eastern King at home but when we cruise with Princess we prefer twin beds because the beds are so terribly hard. When I cannot sleep, because the bed is uncomfortable, I toss and turn a lot and I don't want to disturb my husband.

We've always had to ask our stewards for whatever they have available to soften the bed top. It's generally a crappy egg crate. We've also been told that only the queen bed configuration has a pillow topper. We also find that the comforter is always too warm for us so we will fold it in half and put it under the bottom sheet and it makes it more bearable. Once, on one of our 15 day cruises, my husband brought an air mattress the type that is generally used for camping; not the type used in a pool.

Last October, on the Star, I had to put a folded beach towel under one side of my bed because I felt like I was going to roll out of the bed because it was sunken only on the one side. This would have been the center of the bed if in a queen configuration.

For the life of me I don't know why Princess doesn't listen to the passengers and improve their beds. It certainly would give the room stewards a lot less to have to deal with every day a new cruise begins. Princess.beds.are.the.worst.:mad:

I was on the Royal this past April- For the first time on Princess, I didn't need any mattress topper. I am the most comfortable on a pillow top mattress-- firm but on the softer side, if that makes any sense. On the Sapphire and the Island, I needed two egg crate toppers to at least not wake up with a back ache. Anyway, all I can say is that on the Royal, I had no problem at all with the mattress.

Now I will be on the Coral next year. Hoping their mattresses are better quality than they were years ago on the ships that I mentioned.