Solo on HAL

mame42

Totally agree with both of you, Cruz Chic and Mame (and as I have met both of you, I know you talk sense!:)). Our daughter has shared with us on occasion, but complains about her father's snoring, and now says she must have her own room. She would sail more often and for longer if there was some sort of parity. We all want to do the Viking Passage next year, and have to sort something out so we can be comfortable. Last time we sailed together she found a room she could afford (at twice the price), and we took a room next door, but it was a bit small for the two of us. She would have been happier if she had at least got some additional benefit from it, like double days!

Totally agree with both of you, Cruz Chic and Mame (and as I have met both of you, I know you talk sense!:)). Our daughter has shared with us on occasion, but complains about her father's snoring, and now says she must have her own room. She would sail more often and for longer if there was some sort of parity. We all want to do the Viking Passage next year, and have to sort something out so we can be comfortable. Last time we sailed together she found a room she could afford (at twice the price), and we took a room next door, but it was a bit small for the two of us. She would have been happier if she had at least got some additional benefit from it, like double days!

The Viking Passage is on my wish list, but I probably will not make it next summer since my Far East cruise does not return until mid April. Maybe by that time I will be a 4 star, doing it the hard way.

Come on HAL, get with the program!

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried the single partners program?

I am confused by this statement.

Holland America Line’s Single Partners Program also provides a way for a solo guest to share a stateroom with another same-sex single, so each pay only the per-person, double (Signature Fare, Promo LI) rate.

 If a partner is not available, the guest cruises solo at the agreed-upon double-occupancy fare

Single guests who prefer not to share a stateroom may book a double stateroom for 150 to 200 percent of the double occupancy fare, depending on the cruise and stateroom category

Does that mean if they don't find a partner then I get the room at a singles rate? If I decide not to cruise with that person, I can still select to pay the supplement (I am not obligated in anyway, say if they are a joker or a stroker or a midnight smoker?) [emoji3]

I looked into the share program but ended up not doing it as it was cheaper to book my own cabin and pay the single rate! But, yes, it's my understanding if they can't find a roommate for you, you only pay what you originally agreed to for one person. After issues traveling with a friend I can't imagine to to room with a stranger.

After issues traveling with a friend I can't imagine to to room with a stranger.

After doing the single share three times, and also sharing with a relative, and friend of friend a couple of times, I find sharing with a stranger easier.

It's a lot easier to speak up about what you want to a person you'll never see again.

Holland America Line’s Single Partners Program also provides a way for a solo guest to share a stateroom with another same-sex single, so each pay only the per-person, double (Signature Fare, Promo LI) rate.

 If a partner is not available, the guest cruises solo at the agreed-upon double-occupancy fare

Single guests who prefer not to share a stateroom may book a double stateroom for 150 to 200 percent of the double occupancy fare, depending on the cruise and stateroom category

Does that mean if they don't find a partner then I get the room at a singles rate? If I decide not to cruise with that person, I can still select to pay the supplement (I am not obligated in anyway, say if they are a joker or a stroker or a midnight smoker?) [emoji3]

Did it in 2013 and it was NOT double occupancy rate. On my cruise it was 175% and the single occupancy rate was 200%. And that was not an inexpensive cruise when I booked it fresh off the waitlist. I priced another cruise (21 days) and the delta between single share rate and single occupancy ( with the supplement) was only $60.

HI

iI have a lot of friends I just do not want to travel with them. A stranger in my rppm I raaaaather stay home.

aMat Panama canal gruize I meeet a lady who was traveling with her best friend. The lady friend took over the room. My lady started sleeping down stairs outside her cabin.. I asked her to join my table for dinner. she had parked her car at her friends car the day before we the end of cruise the woman told this lady she would have to find her own way back to her house.

Tried this many years back and as no partner had booked, had the cabin to myself at a 1/2 a double fare or no single supplement. Also shared once and it was an excellent experience!

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and stories. I imagine the experience depends somewhat on itinerary.

I am looking into a TransAtlantic, and with so many days at sea it doesn't make sense to share. I researched prices on the Kdam and the single OV is quite a bit more than an inside guaranty with single supplement, so I may gamble, or look at other lines. Either way, I am in the process of writing to HAL about the supplement.

And to.....

As I will be traveling solo for the 1st time (and it is a world cruise), any insights / tips on exploring in ports if one cannot find a 'buddy', such as on HOHO buses, etc. I am not timid but.....

You are my inspiration! I have many years before I can retire so I am starting my world cruise in segments of 21 days or less. :)

You are my inspiration! I have many years before I can retire so I am starting my world cruise in segments of 21 days or less. :)

After we retired, we started cruising with a vengeance and I just cannot seem to stop, even though I am recently solo. Still too many things to see! May the years fly for you or the golden parachute fairy visit.

Hello fellow... and solo cruisers..!

Since HA is not a dating agency, I would still like to know if, for example, I joined the cruisers Solo program is that I can say to my PCC in advance that I'm a two packs a day smoker, a cheap lotion (Brut 33, Axe) consumer, i snore from 1 am to 4 am, and I like to immerse my dentures in a glass of water before going to bed, and I do not speak English ... < Consider theses are exemples not really me...

At this point is the TA has the obligation to accept my offer and he will tell the other (partner) that he or she can match these "special" conditions..?

Have a very good day !

RIP for the loss in Ketchikan. Very sad.

Holacanada from Quebec City

Edited by holacanada

After we retired, we started cruising with a vengeance and I just cannot seem to stop, even though I am recently solo. Still too many things to see! May the years fly for you or the golden parachute fairy visit.

I agree!! My husband and I met on a cruise and cruised together our entire married life. For me it was only natural to continue cruising solo...I've seen so many new and wonderful places. I am on that WC also...hope we'll meet some point.

As I will be traveling solo for the 1st time (and it is a world cruise), any insights / tips on exploring in ports if one cannot find a 'buddy', such as on HOHO buses, etc. I am not timid but.....

As a solo cruiser of a "certain age", I find it prudent to not go off on my own as I did when I was younger. My TA, who has been in business forever, has a roster of reasonable, reliable drivers in almost every port. I have had amazing, unique experiences (ie Stonehenge at sunrise) this way.

Also, don't shun the HAL excursions. By the time you take the third excursion, you will find the same people on your bus, since you obviously have similar interests. From that point it is easy to plan to get together on your own at other ports.

Also, don't shun the HAL excursions. By the time you take the third excursion, you will find the same people on your bus, since you obviously have similar interests. From that point it is easy to plan to get together on your own at other ports.

Good idea, Lonny. I hadn't thought of that

Hi

I wish they would drop the double punishment for those thraveling alson.. I would love to do longer cruises but the charge is way to much. I would take a lot more cruises if I was just charged a solo fare. I know I spend a lot more on board than some doubles. I have my bar bill to prove it and this is on all my cruises. Come on Hal I love to take more cruises but you have priced me out. Charging me double is crazy look at the market out there Lots of us solo ladies. I also think I should get points since I am paying for them by Hal charging me double.

Mary