Solo on HAL

mame42

So I did as mame42 suggested and sent the email on January 9. I stated in my message that I didn’t need the type of response that cruz chic apparently had received, as I already understand the Mariner program, already know that ms Prinsendam has a few solo staterooms, and know that the Pinnacle class will have solo staterooms. I also expressed my opinion that those Pinnacle class staterooms appear to be steerage class – down in the bilge and snugged up next to the forward hawser winches and anchor chains. Didn’t include my phone number in the email, as I was just expecting an electronic response.

On the same day I received the standard email auto response message – we’ll get back to you later. Then nothing until yesterday when my phone range about 3 pm. I saw on the caller ID that it was HAL. It was “Johnnie” of the Mariner Society. What a delightful person! We had a rather long, pleasant and non-confrontational conversation about HALs policies concerning solos, smoking, and some other stuff.

Basically, Johnnie told me that HAL is DEFINITELY considering revision of the current Mariner Society points system for solos, as well as revision of the smoking policy. Now, I have no way of knowing if any of those statements are true (they’re just words, after all) but I want to say that I think it was very nice of HAL to take the trouble to actually call me and address my concerns, particularly as I’m only a 3-star.

WOW!!! If only...

Seeing I'm Five Star with hundreds days more than that, I'm not worrying about it but am curious what people think would be the way for the solo suite guest to have their days computed were HAL to agree to doubling the days for solos. :)

I think, first of all, HAL needs to get rid of their two tiered program. Even many of the on board staff don't fully understand it. The actual sea days for medals and purchased days for stars is cumbersome and confusing. In fact, it is possible for someone to have accumulated 800 or 900 star days and still not have their Platinum medal! (Been there). I, also, almost always travel solo in a cabin but with other friends in board. And, I pay double all the time. Were I sharing with someone we would both be getting double days for a suite so if I am paying for the double rate- why shouldn't I get double double days? Of course, we may then get into the issue that if HAL is handing out double double days - maybe they will decide to charge double hotel fees? Lots of issues to think about. Right now I would rather have double sea days than star days. I already have all the five star benefits but double sea days would put be closer to President's Club ( which I will probably never reach otherwise). Btw. I recently read that for the first time in the US their are more single people than married ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm in the "careful what you wish for" camp on this one.

At first I thought it would be good to get the same number of points as I paid for my cabin (150%, 200%), but then I thought HAL would decide to double up on all charges -- transfers, HSC, port fees, taxes, etc. I have to think about this more.

If nothing else, it would be nice if HAL would allow us solos to bring two bottles of wine onboard. They could update their wine policy to say

"Two 750ml Bottles per Stateroom" very easily.

If nothing else, it would be nice if HAL would allow us solos to bring two bottles of wine onboard. They could update their wine policy to say

"Two 750ml Bottles per Stateroom" very easily.

Not that phrasing on the policy, though. It leaves 3rd and 4th adult passengers in the same cabins going without.

Good catch, RuthC!

How about "Solo cruisers are allowed two 750ml bottles of wine upon embarkation"?

Better would be "Solo cruisers who pay the supplement are allowed ...". Some solos still do the guaranteed share, so there could be two solos in one cabin.

Since we're trying to allow for solos who pay as two, then it isn't fair to allow solos who pay as one to get the same benefit.

But then, there's the problem that guaranteed share does pay more than the pp/pd rate. :confused: Hummm.

OK. Let all solos get the benefit for once! :)

I firmly believe that HAL has someone whose job description reads "Monitor CC Forums". As such, keeping this thread alive serves notice to HAL that solos have become a force to reckon with, and we will no longer sit back and quietly take whatever the cruise lines deign to give us.

Many thanks to all!

Lonny

I firmly believe that HAL has someone whose job description reads "Monitor CC Forums". As such, keeping this thread alive serves notice to HAL that solos have become a force to reckon with, and we will no longer sit back and quietly take whatever the cruise lines deign to give us.

Many thanks to all!

Lonny

I know for sure there are HAL corporate people in Seattle who read CC.

I also know many senior officers on the ships read CC from time to time. They probably not 'tune in daily' but they glance through now and then.

I just saw this today, so I don't know what was said on the previous thread. I just wanted to add that you do get double points on Princess, but not double days. Points count towards your loyalty category, but days are counted for most traveled events. Points vs. days is a big argument on Princess now that they have so many short cruises. People can go on several back to backs and get to Elite much faster than the old days. I just sailed my second cruise on HAL last year after several years of cruising other lines. I was surprised there was no benefit for paying 200%. It's interesting that they say they're looking into it. I've heard rumor that Carnival Corp is working on a plan for all it's cruise lines where there would be some reciprocity between lines. If so, that could change all our programs on the different lines. Again, as someone else said, we may want to be careful what we wish for.

Hi

As a solo on 99 0/0 percent of my cruises. I just think it wrong that I pay double or more for a cabin but only get a solo benifit. While next door there a couple paying same thing and getting double points or across the hall a cabin has four people in it two people pay thee fare and two are free.... I am sick of people telling me your paying for the cabin not how many people in the cabin. I eat for one. The cabin steward cleans up for one.

Mary

Hi

As a solo on 99 0/0 percent of my cruises. I just think it wrong that I pay double or more for a cabin but only get a solo benifit. While next door there a couple paying same thing and getting double points or across the hall a cabin has four people in it two people pay thee fare and two are free.... I am sick of people telling me your paying for the cabin not how many people in the cabin. I eat for one. The cabin steward cleans up for one.

Mary

Well said.

I, too, don't know the earlier thread, but am glad to find this one.

I like the idea that if I'm paying for two I should get the benefits for two. I was really surprised what happened on my last cruise, that I booked online directly with HAL. It offered a $50 beverage card per person. I was paying for two people, but only received one beverage card. I didn't think that was right.

But I just booked another cruise and wasn't charged for two people. So yes there would be some programming involved if people were to receive more mariner program points when cruising solo.

And I just wanted to add that I have so much fun traveling solo! I love being able to do whatever I want whenever I want. If I change my mind at the last minute, which I often do, no one else is disappointed!

I, too, don't know the earlier thread, but am glad to find this one.

I like the idea that if I'm paying for two I should get the benefits for two. I was really surprised what happened on my last cruise, that I booked online directly with HAL. It offered a $50 beverage card per person. I was paying for two people, but only received one beverage card. I didn't think that was right.

But I just booked another cruise and wasn't charged for two people. So yes there would be some programming involved if people were to receive more mariner program points when cruising solo.

And I just wanted to add that I have so much fun traveling solo! I love being able to do whatever I want whenever I want. If I change my mind at the last minute, which I often do, no one else is disappointed!

Thanks for keeping this thread current. However, please email your thoughts to HAL. It is not enough to post here; we need to communicate our concerns to HAL.

Not sure what took me so long to stick my nose in here, but for the record I travel solo almost all the time.

I always take fixed-seating dining, with a preference for a large table (6-8). Thus far I have been very fortunate to have enjoyed the company of many interesting people, both at table and on excursions. I've never wanted for someone to share the immediate cruise experience with; they're all around. Also, modern communications and digital photography (for better or worse) make it easy to share with friends and family back home, almost in real time.

The biggest advantage, of course, is the freedom that comes with answering to no one but oneself as to when (or if) to get out of bed or the bathtub; what, where, when and how often to eat; when/if to go ashore and what to do once there; etc.

I've experienced many things on my various cruises, but boredom and loneliness were never among them.

On the more practical topics, I've been in a persistent state of cheesed-off'ed-ness since the standard single rate became 200% of the d/o fare. I didn't mind paying a 50% supplement back when that was the standard; I can understand why having another human being on board can be a much larger financial advantage to the Line's bottom line - two people are likely to pay more (possibly a lot more) in cash for drinks, excursions, specialty dining, spa time, laundry, etc. than one. But so it goes.

The counter-point is that cruise fares haven't increased perceptibly in the time I've been cruising. I don't spend any more today than I did 15 years ago, and in fact the 10-day Caribbean deal I did on the Maasdam in 2012 actually cost less (including airfare) than a 7-day NE/Canada trip on the same boat twelve years earlier, with no airfare (I drove to the port for that one). So I don't really have much cause to complain.

And as far as the double-Mariner points thing goes... ehh, it never really occurred to me. That may be because when I started on HAL, it was based strictly on "days", where a day was a day, and that was it. Letting solos fast-forward through the Mariner ranks just because they prefer to travel alone doesn't make much sense to me.

To be honest, I wasn't thrilled when they added the bit about extra days for being in a suite and/or running up a big expense account. It makes business sense to the extent that it may encourage passengers to spend more $$ (always a good thing for the Line). But with the old day=day system, one could be just as proud of having spent 50 or 100 or 300 days on board in an inside cabin as someone else who reached the same milestone in a suite. Rewarding people who spend more money seems to me to reinforce a slight second-class-citizen thing. They're basically telling me that my loyal, repeat business is only worth half as much as that of someone who can afford a nicer room. (And that may very well be the case; I'd just rather not be reminded of it.)

I'll roll with whatever comes; In the Grand Scheme Of Things, the loyalty program isn't really that important to me. The perks I appreciate most are the embarkation lunch and the Mariner luncheon. I just wish they'd make the pins nicer. I think the new "star" pins are awful; blocky, clunky, too large. I'll just keep wearing my old red and white oval 50-Day pin. It looks snazzy on my tuxedo lapel. :)

Edited by Alcarondas
spelling

Not sure what took me so long to stick my nose in here, but for the record I travel solo almost all the time.

I always take fixed-seating dining, with a preference for a large table (6-8). Thus far I have been very fortunate to have enjoyed the company of many interesting people, both at table and on excursions. I've never wanted for someone to share the immediate cruise experience with; they're all around. Also, modern communications and digital photography (for better or worse) make it easy to share with friends and family back home, almost in real time.

The biggest advantage, of course, is the freedom that comes with answering to no one but oneself as to when (or if) to get out of bed or the bathtub; what, where, when and how often to eat; when/if to go ashore and what to do once there; etc.

I've experienced many things on my various cruises, but boredom and loneliness were never among them.

On the more practical topics, I've been in a persistent state of cheesed-off'ed-ness since the standard single rate became 200% of the d/o fare. I didn't mind paying a 50% supplement back when that was the standard; I can understand why having another human being on board can be a much larger financial advantage to the Line's bottom line - two people are likely to pay more (possibly a lot more) in cash for drinks, excursions, specialty dining, spa time, laundry, etc. than one. But so it goes.

The counter-point is that cruise fares haven't increased perceptibly in the time I've been cruising. I don't spend any more today than I did 15 years ago, and in fact the 10-day Caribbean deal I did on the Maasdam in 2012 actually cost less (including airfare) than a 7-day NE/Canada trip on the same boat twelve years earlier, with no airfare (I drove to the port for that one). So I don't really have much cause to complain.

And as far as the double-Mariner points thing goes... ehh, it never really occurred to me. That may be because when I started on HAL, it was based strictly on "days", where a day was a day, and that was it. Letting solos fast-forward through the Mariner ranks just because they prefer to travel alone doesn't make much sense to me.

To be honest, I wasn't thrilled when they added the bit about extra days for being in a suite and/or running up a big expense account. It makes business sense to the extent that it may encourage passengers to spend more $$ (always a good thing for the Line). But with the old day=day system, one could be just as proud of having spent 50 or 100 or 300 days on board in an inside cabin as someone else who reached the same milestone in a suite. Rewarding people who spend more money seems to me to reinforce a slight second-class-citizen thing. They're basically telling me that my loyal, repeat business is only worth half as much as that of someone who can afford a nicer room. (And that may very well be the case; I'd just rather not be reminded of it.)

I'll roll with whatever comes; In the Grand Scheme Of Things, the loyalty program isn't really that important to me. The perks I appreciate most are the embarkation lunch and the Mariner luncheon. I just wish they'd make the pins nicer. I think the new "star" pins are awful; blocky, clunky, too large. I'll just keep wearing my old red and white oval 50-Day pin. It looks snazzy on my tuxedo lapel. :)

What a thoughtful post - thank you for sharing and for being so positive.

I've been sailing HAL since 1974, most of the time solo. I'm approaching 500 days. It took me a long time to become a four star mariner. However, a wonderful couple I met on a 30-day cruise in 2011 and who I sailed with again later in 2011 and in 2013, achieved it after four cruises, their first in the early 90s, because they book either a suite or verandah. I book what I can afford which is an inside. It does seem unfair, but I understand that it's a matter of economics for the cruise line. I will still enjoy my cruises in inside cabins because I, at least, get some "bennies" by being a four-star. It's either that or not sailing as frequently, and I do look forward to at least an annual voyage, albeit in "steerage!"

I will still enjoy my cruises in inside cabins because I, at least, get some "bennies" by being a four-star. It's either that or not sailing as frequently, and I do look forward to at least an annual voyage, albeit in "steerage!"

I book insides also, not only because (as a solo) that's what I can afford, but because of the fact that on HAL only the insides have showers -- at least until you get up to Neptune. I'm 5'0" and HAL bathtubs are very tall-sided and even at home I prefer to shower. And if you are using the word "steerage" in the traditional sense (lower decks), that's my preferred location. Well, Main, not so much Dolphin. I always book on Main because there are nothing but staterooms both above and below. No showroom, galley, casino, etc. Quietest deck on the ship during sleeping hours.

I book insides also, not only because (as a solo) that's what I can afford, but because of the fact that on HAL only the insides have showers -- at least until you get up to Neptune. I'm 5'0" and HAL bathtubs are very tall-sided and even at home I prefer to shower. And if you are using the word "steerage" in the traditional sense (lower decks), that's my preferred location. Well, Main, not so much Dolphin. I always book on Main because there are nothing but staterooms both above and below. No showroom, galley, casino, etc. Quietest deck on the ship during sleeping hours.

On the vista and signature the bathtubs are not so deep.

According to the Money Section of today's "USA Today" newspaper, "...older, single women constitute a significant share of shipboard vacationers." All I ask is parity. If I pay the same amount for a Vista Suite as the couple in the next cabin, I expect the same benefits and perks. If I only pay a percentage of that price, reduce my benefits proportionately. Other lines do it; why not HAL?

For me, since I tend to take longer and longer cruises, the benefits of "eventually" reaching the 4 star level would make a significant difference, as free laundry and reduced wine packages would rack up quickly on a 90 day cruise.

Please keep this thread alive until HAL takes notice.

According to the Money Section of today's "USA Today" newspaper, "...older, single women constitute a significant share of shipboard vacationers." All I ask is parity. If I pay the same amount for a Vista Suite as the couple in the next cabin, I expect the same benefits and perks. If I only pay a percentage of that price, reduce my benefits proportionately. Other lines do it; why not HAL?

For me, since I tend to take longer and longer cruises, the benefits of "eventually" reaching the 4 star level would make a significant difference, as free laundry and reduced wine packages would rack up quickly on a 90 day cruise.

Please keep this thread alive until HAL takes notice.

Totally agree with you. Wow, 90 day cruise, good for you! That would really add up.