Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

Totally different with MTD they kept traditional dining and added something so everyone was happy. Like other posters have already said with DD they are taking our choice away. Why they didn't just leave everything alone beats me. Those that like to make their reservations that day had MTD the rest had traditional. If they wanted to update things they could have just changed the menus. We like having the same dining time and same waiter. DD is a great concept on paper but it is never really going to work without any glitches. Too many people wanting to eat at the same time and if you don't make reservations ahead of time you're going to be standing in line at a later point. Even if they limit the number of reservations those that want to make reservations are going to get upset and those that don't make reservations are going to find long wait times. Even MTD during prime time can have some wait and that's only a portion of passengers on that. Plus some on MTD have already made their reservations for the whole week once they board so that also limits the space. So how they're going to work all the glitches out of DD is something well I'll have to wait and see but personally I don't think it's going to happen and I have no plans on sailing on a ship that has DD until it is completely worked out. Just hoping they announce when it will be but don't think they'll do that right away as they don't want people canceling if its near their cruise.

It's not about 'updating menus'. It's about replacing traditional dining with a new dining experience. Not all cruisers are in love with the traditional dining experience.

Yes, there maybe long wait times at the peak demand periods. You didn't see that with the old dining system of early and late dining because the cruise line told you when to have dinner. There's the choice. You can have some wait times at the times you prefer or you can have no wait times at the time the cruise lines prefers.

"Change. We fear change." - Garth Algar

Yes! I love a good Wayne's World reference.

Love or hate dynamic dining, I am just glad they are giving some time to get it ironed out on the quantum before they sent it to other ships.

It is all about choices. Why not have some ships in each class that are dynamic and some that are traditional/MTD. Give people options.

All Royal has done is convert three complimentary dining venues into three complimentary dining menus. Same number of seats before and same number of seats after the conversion. They've even added complimentary seats for suite guests which means less pressure on the non-suite venues.

There has never been enough complimentary seating to accommodate each and every diner at one single seating on any cruise ship. Why do you think they had early and late seating? The only reason you're seeing a difference is in the past those in traditional dining were forced to show up at a specific time which regulated the flow into the complimentary venues. Dynamic dining allows passengers to show up when they like. There will be queues at times.

I THINK you are talking about the Oasis conversion - correct? A considerable number of Dining Room seats were removed from Deck 4, with two auxiliary Dining Rooms no longer in use as they are now the new Diamond Lounge and the new Izumi. I ate in the starboard auxiliary Dining Room on my first Oasis cruise, and am GUESSING that it held 150 people, so that would be 300 seats removed from the MDR. Yes, new seats have appeared in Coastal Kitchen, but I doubt their numbers are as high as the number removed from Deck 4. When, not that long ago, everyone was assigned to one of the two MDR seatings, the MDR held somewhat more than 50% of the max passenger load. Quantum has complimentary seating at any one time for barely over a third of the max passenger load. So I have to disagree that whether talking Oasis or Quantum that "The only reason you're seeing a difference is in the past those in traditional dining were forced to show up at a specific time which regulated the flow into the complimentary venues." There are now fewer seats in complimentary dining per passenger than there were in the past.

Thom

All Royal has done is convert three complimentary dining venues into three complimentary dining menus. Same number of seats before and same number of seats after the conversion. They've even added complimentary seats for suite guests which means less pressure on the non-suite venues.

There has never been enough complimentary seating to accommodate each and every diner at one single seating on any cruise ship. Why do you think they had early and late seating? The only reason you're seeing a difference is in the past those in traditional dining were forced to show up at a specific time which regulated the flow into the complimentary venues. Dynamic dining allows passengers to show up when they like. There will be queues at times.

I agree with you. The transition on Oasis and Allure should be easy. On Oasis, the Opus Dining Room has a capacity of 3056 (two seatings can accommodate 6112). The ship has 5400 guests (double occupancy) with a max capacity of 6360 (with all the cabins capable of third and fourth passengers full). Even at max capacity, less than 4% of the passengers will have to go to pay restaurants (or the buffet).

However, compare this to Quantum. The four-part main dining room can seat 1730 with another 128 at Coastal Kitchen. Two seatings can accommodate 3716. But Quantum has 4180 guests (double occupancy) and 4905 at max capacity. So, at max capacity, 24% of the guests have to go to pay restaurants (or the buffet).

The capacity is not there in Quantum.

Who said there was enough complimentary seating to accommodate each and every diner at one single seating?

Who said there was only a single seating in MDR?

As a D+ cruiser I'm aware there are two seatings in MDR.

I'm also aware every person embarking a RCI TD ship does so with a dining table assigned to them. This gives them gauranteed complimentary dining.

RCI cannot guarantee every passenger complimentary dining with DD, that is for a reason!

Edited by Julesben

We were on the December 1st cruise and never was any free dinning venue full when we ate. Our dinning times ranged from 5:45 to 8:30, half the nights we didn't honor our reservation time, went early and always got a seat and never had to wait. Gee guess we were the only ones without a problem.

We were on the December 1st cruise and never was any free dinning venue full when we ate. Our dinning times ranged from 5:45 to 8:30, half the nights we didn't honor our reservation time, went early and always got a seat and never had to wait. Gee guess we were the only ones without a problem.

We were on the same cruise and never had any problems either ...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just wanted to add that the math re: Quantum done so far relies on the assumption that every complimentary dining table is only utilized twice each night. That's how it was in the past with traditional dining, but unless any of you have definitively heard from authoritative sources that it is also the case with Dynamic Dining you are making a major assumption that potentially undermines your math... Even if only a small minority of tables get turned over a third time.

I've read before on CC that NCL (with its similar Freestyle approach) sometimes turns tables over 3 times per night... and it's possible if you do the math... So it wouldn't necessarily be unprecedented and would change the calculus a bit, especially if they are eventually able to speed up dining service on Quantum.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

...On Oasis, the Opus Dining Room has a capacity of 3056 (two seatings can accommodate 6112)...
I'm asking because I don't know...

Are these Opus numbers after the drydock (and the loss of seats to Diamond Lounge and Izumi), or are the numbers from before the drydock?

I'm sure this info is somewhere on the internet, but so far I have not been able to find it.

thanks

Thom

I'm asking because I don't know...

Are these Opus numbers after the drydock (and the loss of seats to Diamond Lounge and Izumi), or are the numbers from before the drydock?

I'm sure this info is somewhere on the internet, but so far I have not been able to find it.

thanks

Thom

It's from the current fact sheet. I don't know if they've updated it. I was going more for the wide disparity between Oasis going to DD and Quantum that currently has it.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/fact-sheets/

We were on the December 8th Quantum cruise and had no problems either. Everything was booked far in advance. Two shows changed times, but that didn't interfere with dinner reservations.

But there were a lot of problems. Halfway through the cruise, we stopped to taking to other passengers about dinner because so many people were disappointed and/or upset.

It's from the current fact sheet. I don't know if they've updated it. I was going more for the wide disparity between Oasis going to DD and Quantum that currently has it.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/fact-sheets/

Thanks for the link; it is listing Oasis Opus and Allure Adiago both at 3056, so that number will no longer be valid for Oasis Opus, but I don't know what the new lower number is. I had posted numbers similiar to yours showing that Quantum had roughly 1 complimentary Dining room seat for 3 passengers, while previous ships had had roughly 1 seat for 2 passengers, so you and I are pretty much in agreement. IF Quantum could turn those over 3 times, they would fit everyone in, but from what I read Quantum service without Assistant Waiters has been SLOW and only with luck will they be able to get 3 seatings at a table for dinner.

Thom

It's not about 'updating menus'. It's about replacing traditional dining with a new dining experience. Not all cruisers are in love with the traditional dining experience.

Yes, there maybe long wait times at the peak demand periods. You didn't see that with the old dining system of early and late dining because the cruise line told you when to have dinner. There's the choice. You can have some wait times at the times you prefer or you can have no wait times at the time the cruise lines prefers.[/quote

Never said DD had anything to do with updating menus, however, did say RCCL should have left the dining the way it was so everybody had a choice those for MTD and traditional and just update the menus. Not everyone wants this "new dining experience!" You happen to be wrong there are no choices for those that prefer traditional. When Royal Caribbean introduced MTD which was a new concept at that time also they were smart they gave you a choice of either or. I don't like waiting till the day of to make reservations and hope it is available or have to stand in line and wait every night to get in for dinner at prime time. Nor do I want to take a chance and make a reservation and have the show times change like others have mentioned and then have to sit there and go rearrange them. I don't know about you but I go on vacation to relax and having my dining time set and the shows set around them worked out great for us. Yes there are others that prefer to do exactly that... wait till the day of... and the way the dining is now gives everyone the opportunity to choose which works better for them. Personally Royal Caribbean should have tested this out on one of their ships first before installing it on the Quantum and the Oasis series. Or they should have kept one traditional restaurant for those that wanted it. Based on the sample menus those that don't care for seafood and who are picky eaters are going to have a hard time just like others have mentioned. From what others have stated even there alternative menu doesn't look that great. Even though we prefer traditional we were willing to give it a go and try it out but not based on all the confusion and also not based on if it's coming out close to our sailing. The only choice most have who prefer traditional will be whether to keep or cancel their reservation.

We were on the December 8th Quantum cruise and had no problems either. Everything was booked far in advance. Two shows changed times, but that didn't interfere with dinner reservations.

But there were a lot of problems. Halfway through the cruise, we stopped to taking to other passengers about dinner because so many people were disappointed and/or upset.

When we tried booking complimentary restaurants it proved challenging to say the least.

We don't go on vacation to stand in lines trying to book for the evening meals.

We heard from others guests that some crew member had told them to book more complimentary restaurants and decide on the night which one they wanted to use, meaning tables were left emptied by no shows!

Out of 32 RCI cruises this is one to forget.

When we tried booking complimentary restaurants it proved challenging to say the least.

We don't go on vacation to stand in lines trying to book for the evening meals.

We heard from others guests that some crew member had told them to book more complimentary restaurants and decide on the night which one they wanted to use, meaning tables were left emptied by no shows!

Out of 32 RCI cruises this is one to forget.

One would hope the smart ship wouldn't have double bookings :rolleyes:

There was one night where we had a second reservation in a different restaurant when we checked the schedule on the TV. But when we checked the computer, we only had the single reservation that we had made. I have no idea where that came from or how the TV was pulling up a different schedule than what was in the computer (it matched other than that one additional reservation on the TV).

I didn't want to risk trying to correct it. I hope I didn't contribute to a no-show.

Oh. In the earlier post, I meant Dec 12th cruise which was 8 nights.

One would hope the smart ship wouldn't have double bookings :rolleyes:

There was one night where we had a second reservation in a different restaurant when we checked the schedule on the TV. But when we checked the computer, we only had the single reservation that we had made. I have no idea where that came from or how the TV was pulling up a different schedule than what was in the computer (it matched other than that one additional reservation on the TV).

I didn't want to risk trying to correct it. I hope I didn't contribute to a no-show.

Oh. In the earlier post, I meant Dec 12th cruise which was 8 nights.

The Concierge accidentally booked us into two restaurants, this shows that you can have more than one reservation per customer on the same night. (System Failure).

We noticed this and cancelled one of them immediately.

Yes, there maybe long wait times at the peak demand periods. You didn't see that with the old dining system of early and late dining because the cruise line told you when to have dinner. There's the choice. You can have some wait times at the times you prefer or you can have no wait times at the time the cruise lines prefers.[/quote

Never said DD had anything to do with updating menus, however, did say RCCL should have left the dining the way it was so everybody had a choice those for MTD and traditional and just update the menus. Not everyone wants this "new dining experience!" You happen to be wrong there are no choices for those that prefer traditional. When Royal Caribbean introduced MTD which was a new concept at that time also they were smart they gave you a choice of either or. I don't like waiting till the day of to make reservations and hope it is available or have to stand in line and wait every night to get in for dinner at prime time. Nor do I want to take a chance and make a reservation and have the show times change like others have mentioned and then have to sit there and go rearrange them. I don't know about you but I go on vacation to relax and having my dining time set and the shows set around them worked out great for us. Yes there are others that prefer to do exactly that... wait till the day of... and the way the dining is now gives everyone the opportunity to choose which works better for them. Personally Royal Caribbean should have tested this out on one of their ships first before installing it on the Quantum and the Oasis series. Or they should have kept one traditional restaurant for those that wanted it. Based on the sample menus those that don't care for seafood and who are picky eaters are going to have a hard time just like others have mentioned. From what others have stated even there alternative menu doesn't look that great. Even though we prefer traditional we were willing to give it a go and try it out but not based on all the confusion and also not based on if it's coming out close to our sailing. The only choice most have who prefer traditional will be whether to keep or cancel their reservation.

I understand there are many who like the old, classical, way of dining on a cruise ship. Royal has determined that there are far more that want something different. Royal is trying to attract new cruisers who do not find the idea of traditional dining, even MTD, attractive. Attracting these new cruisers requires replacing the classical dining experience, not just changing the menus.

Maintaining some dining space for Traditional Dining and MTD would only mean less space for DD. There is a certain minimum space required otherwise DD falls apart.

You raise some good points about how the menus in dynamic dining are less than successful. That maybe why Royal has postponed the implementation of dynamic dining. It maybe something as simple as changing the menus to reflect the feedback they received to date. It could be the IT issues others have mentioned. Or a combination of both.

That said, don't believe for a second that Royal has dropped the idea of dynamic dining. It will be extended to as many ships as possible and as soon as possible.

All Royal has done is convert three complimentary dining venues into three complimentary dining menus. Same number of seats before and same number of seats after the conversion...
Sorry, this is not true - quite a number of seats in the Oasis MDR were lost to the new Diamond Lounge and to the new Izumi
...don't believe for a second that Royal has dropped the idea of dynamic dining. It will be extended to as many ships as possible and as soon as possible.
How can you say "As soon as possible" when just two days ago they announced a delay for Oasis - how is that "as soon as possible"?

I recognize that you favor DD, but your credibility is getting pretty shaky.

Sorry, this is not true - quite a number of seats in the Oasis MDR were lost to the new Diamond Lounge and to the new IzumiHow can you say "As soon as possible" when just two days ago they announced a delay for Oasis - how is that "as soon as possible"?

I recognize that you favor DD, but your credibility is getting pretty shaky.

Thanks for pointing that that Izumi and the new Diamond Lounge did take a few seats from the Grande dining room. However, when you look at the Allure deck plans, those seats are assigned to "Private Dining". The areas appear to be small. Do you happen to know the number of seats lost?

ASAP means just that, As Soon As Possible. Whether that might be days, weeks, or a few months, as long as the issues are resolved as soon as possible, it's still ASAP, isn't it?

I know these delays are encouraging to those who would like to see Dynamic Dining go away, I just wouldn't get too excited.

I understand there are many who like the old, classical, way of dining on a cruise ship. Royal has determined that there are far more that want something different. Royal is trying to attract new cruisers who do not find the idea of traditional dining, even MTD, attractive. Attracting these new cruisers requires replacing the classical dining experience, not just changing the menus.

Maintaining some dining space for Traditional Dining and MTD would only mean less space for DD. There is a certain minimum space required otherwise DD falls apart.

You raise some good points about how the menus in dynamic dining are less than successful. That maybe why Royal has postponed the implementation of dynamic dining. It maybe something as simple as changing the menus to reflect the feedback they received to date. It could be the IT issues others have mentioned. Or a combination of both.

That said, don't believe for a second that Royal has dropped the idea of dynamic dining. It will be extended to as many ships as possible and as soon as possible.

Everyone knows DD will come around the question is whether it will be a success or a flop. It seems like RCCL doesn't care about their passengers who prefer traditional and/or they expect us to conform to this new concept. I'm sure they realized when developing this DD that many people who presently book with them will leave. Only time will tell if this idea turns out to be a good decision for them. You apparently seem to like this DD concept which is fine but others don't and everyone realizes even including Royal Caribbean that there's problems with it. No you are wrong it will not be coming out as you say as soon as possible. It has been detained with no definite date except for some time later in the year. Just because something new is implemented or a new idea comes around doesn't mean that it's going to be positive or successful. All you have to do is look at coca cola when they came out with a new formula and it was a disaster and they ended up going back to the original formula.

Anyone know exactly WHY Royal Caribbean has chosen to go DD??? It is cheaper to do? Or easier to manage on these mega ships? Or do they think passengers will prefer it for the flexibility? Or are they trying to lure people to the specialty restaurants?

Does anyone have any idea when DD will be implemented on the Oasis? My reservation for May 9 still shows DD.

It seems they just haven't gotten around to updating their system to remove DD from the Oasis sailings for which it will not be available, including both of our May sailings. I'm very curious to see how RCI handles this correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85