Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

I'm thinking if people were scheduled for DD on those ships, they should probably check their dining preference under their C&A profile. Even if people had selected another option when they booked, it wouldn't surprise me if Royal used that to reassign dining times.

I am sure they are and are having a good laugh at the # of people who have not tried DD yet, much less sailed on the one ship that has it:p

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=2140943

They have feedback from both passengers and crew who have experienced DD. Readers of Cruise Critic also have read the reviews of passengers who experienced DD. No doubt the feedback that is the reason they have postponed it on Oasis and Allure of the Seas. I don't think they are having a good laugh at all. They are figuring out what to do about it.

Not surprised. It sounded like everyone was being forced to eat alone who didn't sail with a a group. Way too many people like the option of being seated with others either in the traditional main dining room arrangement or through the My Time Dining. I think RCI jumped the gun before realizing that they should have tested this out first.

And many people just don't like having to make any decisions on a cruise. They come to meet new people and be spontaneous. There should be some kind of happy medium where all passengers feel their cruise style can be accommodated. I'm sure RCI will get it right after a little more thinking and experimentation on the new ships.

And there is something to be said about the changing menus every night in a main dining room for the sake of variety. Why do you have to be forced to go to a buffet to get it?

I honestly liked the way they did it on the Allure where you could reserve or not. There were lots of specialty options if you wanted them and it never seemed to be a problem to get a table if you weren't tying to walk in at a peak time.

Why not just rotate the specialty restaurant options periodically on all ships? The decor doesn't have to be changed completely when some of these restaurants are similar in theme like Portofino's and Giovani's or Sabor and Ritas.

Someone previously (I think on another thread) suggested rotational dining though the DD venues. Perhaps this could work. You would still have a set time, table mates and waiter but you move to a new venue each night. There could be a 'with Grande' option for those who like formal and and a 'without Grande' option for those who don't.

Perhaps an area could be reserved for a type of my time which is basically free form, any restaurant, any time, try your luck :)

Thoughts?

They have feedback from both passengers and crew who have experienced DD. Readers of Cruise Critic also have read the reviews of passengers who experienced DD. No doubt the feedback that is the reason they have postponed it on Oasis and Allure of the Seas. I don't think they are having a good laugh at all. They are figuring out what to do about it.

Agreed -- I highly doubt anybody at RCI is laughing about anything DD related right about now. I wish them the best at getting these issues sorted out ASAP so that we can finally hear what DD looks like without all of these tech-related glitches.

Are you including yourself on that list, Poncho? If that post, along with some of your other derogatory ones are indicative of you in person, you should be!

I'm the same in person as I am here. I don't need to impress anyone.

I have a great time on my cruises!!! I'm A-OK not sitting next to you.

Maybe RCL has heard the message. They have now postponed changing over the Oasis class ships to DD. More info available on royalcarribean blog or do a google seach for rcl delays dynamic dining.

Isn't that what this whole thread is about?

Just to throw in my 2c.....

I haven't been on Quantum yet, but I will be going in February. From what I understand there are delays due to servers being overtaxed and the technology being brand new. Both SHOULD be able to be corrected relatively easily/in a timely manner. Dynamic Dining is NOT a failed concept. It is new to Royal and with this announcement it is obvious that they still have a ton of work to get it to the point that they want it. I'm personally excited for Dynamic Dining. It is going to be like dining in an all inclusive resort or really like dining on land, where you make reservations if you want a guaranteed table.

-Ross

I admit that I have never tried DD. I also don't think that I have to try it in order to come to the conclusion that it's not for me. Why do I think this without proof? For one, I don't like making reservations for restaurants here at home. Second, I cruise a lot and have a hard time even looking at shore excursions let alone assigning time to look at dinning times and places. I also don't like long dinning times. We typically get a table for two and eat quickly and then leave. No bread and no dessert. And no, the WJ is not our style either. I don't like MTD so it's pretty likely that I would not like DD for the same reasons. The good news is that we don't sail on the large ships so for now we are safe. If it ever comes to all ships in the fleet, then we will have to decide if Royal is still right for us. Probably would not be a deal breaker, but you never know.

Isn't that what this whole thread is about?

Just to throw in my 2c.....

I haven't been on Quantum yet, but I will be going in February. From what I understand there are delays due to servers being overtaxed and the technology being brand new. Both SHOULD be able to be corrected relatively easily/in a timely manner. Dynamic Dining is NOT a failed concept. It is new to Royal and with this announcement it is obvious that they still have a ton of work to get it to the point that they want it. I'm personally excited for Dynamic Dining. It is going to be like dining in an all inclusive resort or really like dining on land, where you make reservations if you want a guaranteed table.

-Ross

Let us all know how that works out. Maybe they can improve it who knows, In the meantime we'll be sailing other ships. Hopefully they will offer more showings of Mama Mia. It is fantastic. However, not everyone gets to see it because it only shows a few times during the sailing. Book all your reservations now if you still can. It is a beautiful ship, just a lousy dining experience in our opinion. By the way, the menu stays the same in each of the different restaurants, what you have on day 1 will be what you have on day 11. The only restaurant that seemed to change up a bit was the Windjammer.

By the way, the menu stays the same in each of the different restaurants, what you have on day 1 will be what you have on day 11. The only restaurant that seemed to change up a bit was the Windjammer.

Sounds like a bean counters scheme to save money. How many menu choices did each restaurant have?

We expected the worst of DD and were pleasantly surprised to find that it was the least of our problems on the Quantum. Get your reservations to the DD and the shows as soon as you can (like 6 months ago) and enjoy a new experience. It really wasn't that bad for our group of 10 and I can't believe we were the only ones who had a relatively trouble free dining experience for 11 out of 11 days. And it can only get better on future cruises as RCI responds to the feedback it has been receiving.

Nothing like a premature declaration. Hope they work the bugs out so I can at least try it and decide for myself.

Sorry not at all premature. The vast majority of DD reviews are extremely negative. The problems arise from inherent problems with the concept not issues that can be tweaked.

Hopefully, RCL will send DD the way of the blimp on Oasis and both will disappear never to be heard from again.

Let us all know how that works out. Maybe they can improve it who knows, In the meantime we'll be sailing other ships. Hopefully they will offer more showings of Mama Mia. It is fantastic. However, not everyone gets to see it because it only shows a few times during the sailing. Book all your reservations now if you still can. It is a beautiful ship, just a lousy dining experience in our opinion. By the way, the menu stays the same in each of the different restaurants, what you have on day 1 will be what you have on day 11. The only restaurant that seemed to change up a bit was the Windjammer.

This is not what the RCCI website states. The three inclusive restaurants will have their menus change midweek on a seven day cruise. Therefore, you can dine in those inclusive venues with a different menu each night over six evening meals. Noting, two of those will be in Grande with formal dress code.

Sorry not at all premature. The vast majority of DD reviews are extremely negative. The problems arise from inherent problems with the concept not issues that can be tweaked.

Hopefully, RCL will send DD the way of the blimp on Oasis and both will disappear never to be heard from again.

Silly me, if it's on Cruise Critic it must be true, right? I think some here have an overinflated view of CC's influence on the cruise industry but we'll wait and see where DD goes before declaring it dead. :rolleyes:

I am sure they are and are having a good laugh at the # of people who have not tried DD yet, much less sailed on the one ship that has it:p

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=2140943

I don't think RCCL is having a good laugh because I think they're too busy straightening up this mess. However, I am having a good laugh if you think someone needs to experience DD when so many people are posting such negative reviews. If someone burns themself touching a fire I don't need to go touch it also to know its hot. It's one thing if everyone was complaining about different things but not in this case they're all mentioning all the various problems DD brings.

Edited by SF

Is it just me or is anyone else breathing a sigh of relief about the "postponement" of DD? We're booked on Oasis, for a 2nd time, in August 2015. When I was informed by my Cruise Planner I was automatically optimistic. The idea of DD accommodating 4000+ passengers seemed an impossible task. Me and my sailing "crew" enjoy the MDR, formal nights, the same waiter, etc. Hopefully DD will be implemented Sept. 2015...

Is it just me or is anyone else breathing a sigh of relief about the "postponement" of DD? We're booked on Oasis, for a 2nd time, in August 2015. When I was informed by my Cruise Planner I was automatically optimistic. The idea of DD accommodating 4000+ passengers seemed an impossible task. Me and my sailing "crew" enjoy the MDR, formal nights, the same waiter, etc. Hopefully DD will be implemented Sept. 2015...

No! We're on Oasis in September. How about 2016?

We will be on the Oasis in February and booked last July. The ship was to have early and late traditional dining and MTD in the dining room. It was scheduled to be remodeled for DD at that time, but in February, we would still have traditional dining.

From the start, we were told early traditional dining was full and were put on a waiting list and put into MTD. My brother booked at the same time and he was not put on a waiting list and MTD was his only choice. We were diamond and he was platinum status. We were eventually given early traditional dining, but he was not though our reservations were linked. In calling about this, both my brother and I were told that there was a long wait list for both early and late dining and the dining room was closed at both times.

There has to be a reduction in seats available.

I eventually called to make a payment and the person I spoke to asked if he could help me in any other way. I gave it another try and explained that my brother is a single person with us on the cruise and cannot even get on the wait list for early dining. He said both traditional dining times were closed, but he would e-mail dining and e-mail me the results. A week later I got an e-mail that my brother had been moved to early dining and our reservations were again linked.

If only diamond level or above guests get to eat with traditional dining at either time without special intervention, there have to be fewer seats in the dining room.

Edited by KansasK