A Christmas Cruise - what can I expect??

mike x ftc

We were looking at Arcadia for this year but we weren't back from the Equinox till late Nov, so it didn't happen. Now looking at Aurora for next Christmas but just can't decide if it will be for us!! Can anyone who has done a non-Caribbean Christmas cruise tell me what we are likely to expect, ie, age range, is there a formal night 24th or 25th? Is the main dining room open Christmas day lunch (it will be a sea day), does much go on for Christmas day? Just any general info to help me make my mind up.

Thanks

We were looking at Arcadia for this year but we weren't back from the Equinox till late Nov, so it didn't happen. Now looking at Aurora for next Christmas but just can't decide if it will be for us!! Can anyone who has done a non-Caribbean Christmas cruise tell me what we are likely to expect, ie, age range, is there a formal night 24th or 25th? Is the main dining room open Christmas day lunch (it will be a sea day), does much go on for Christmas day? Just any general info to help me make my mind up.

Thanks

I suggest you subscribe to this blog

http://tomscruiseblog.co.uk/2014/12/24/christmas-on-arcadia-santa-arrives/

This gentleman is on Arcadia at the moment in northern climes.

I have read that if you do freedom dining you have to q from very early in the morning to book for either the Christmas day/new years main meal, as they will be at a set time, or both.

I know its Arcadia not Aurora, but it will give you an idea

I have just read Tom's blog and it sounds very like the Christmas we had on Oriana a couple of years ago.

It was very nice and the ship was well decorated but it wasn't 'over the top' festive. People all over wish everyone Merry Christmas and some had Santa hats. I would say it was nice.... just nice and pleasant.

It would suit some people but not others.... I sit on the fence on this one. I still can't decide what I felt about it.

Just back from Oceana and the xmas thing just seemed very flat. I was surprised they did not start to play xmas music until boxing day. :confused:

If you have freedom dining and want to eat early make sure you are in the queue early to select your fixed sitting. there were lots of dissapointed passengers on my cruise and opting for second sitting was a mistake. There were only 4 people on our table for 8 and empty tables scattered about. No ambience either, just a cracker and paper hat. It was basically just a formal night with turkey on the menu.:(

I wonder how many british families have xmas dinner as a formal evening event? Everyone i ask says lunch or mid afternoon and definately not formal. Having xmas eve as formal and xmas LUNCH would be better.

Oh dear! I just assumed everyone went to Christmas dinner and it would be a lively affair:eek: What was Christmas lunch? Was there anything special in the main dining room?

Remember that my experience might not be the same as on other ships at other times. Those on early sitting reported they had a good time.

Hi Mike

Any cruise with P&O going direct out of Southampton will be mainly older people. We did one a few years back and it was awful. Also, it was very rough. I had to have an anti sickness jab and we had a smashed front window on the ship. We did a Celebrity Cruise in the far east last year and it was brilliant. Much livelier crowd and better weather. Also, with regards formal nights, didn't really see much of an effort on the P&O cruise. Hope this is of help.

I was on Oriana for Xmas and New Year 2012/13 - the cruise is on my blog too. It was in the eastern Med and the best part was being in Israel on Christmas Eve. Lunch was as normal on Xmas Day, tea had Xmas Cake and mince pies etc. We had a 6-7 course formal dinner with hats and crackers. New Year was similar with the haggis being piped into the MDR.

Much as we all enjoyed it though I still felt as if I had missed Christmas that year - possibly because the weather was warm - on Xmas morning we sat outside for breakfast and sipped a Bucks Fizz.

The crew panto was excellent and the pax choir sang carols.

Edited by Host Sharon