Regal TV nuisance

RotaryMike

If you are in a min or suite with 2 tvs, Princess forgot to ask Samsung to program one remote to each tv. If you are on the bed or couch and aim the remote at one tv, it will turn on both, if the other person uses a remote to change the other set, both change.

The only way , sometimes, to avoid this is to walk up to the tv and hold the remote right against the tv.

Does this happen on Royal also??

hopefully Samsung or princess can figure out a fix,

If you are in a min or suite with 2 tvs, Princess forgot to ask Samsung to program one remote to each tv. If you are on the bed or couch and aim the remote at one tv, it will turn on both, if the other person uses a remote to change the other set, both change.

The only way , sometimes, to avoid this is to walk up to the tv and hold the remote right against the tv.

Does this happen on Royal also??

hopefully Samsung or princess can figure out a fix,

Didn't have the problem on the Royal in an owner's suite a year ago (I think there is a real door between the bedroom and the sitting room; maybe that made the difference).

We just got off the Regal last week in a mini-suite. We had to call for help twice while on there for the tv's. Same problem. We were told we had to draw the curtain half way because the signal from the remote is bouncing from one tv to the other. Nice, eh?:confused:

We sailed Regal earlier this month and had the mini suite and can relate to the issue. The fix was not hard. Just put something between you and the unwanted TV when you turn on the one you want. This can be the curtain, your body, your hand, a piece of paper, etc. The unwanted TV will not come on. It was not that big a deal.

All samsung remotes use the same set of IR commands either commercial or home (they don't use RF like some of the newer ones from other brands). Thus, there's no easy way to 'program' tv's to ignore a given remote. This happens all the time with hotels that have 2 TVs as well, no real way around it. I suppose you could put one home coded TV and one commercial coded TV in each cabin but that would make maintenance a nightmare.

If it really annoys you, ask for a post it note and put it over the sensor on the TV you don't want to use.

I had the same problem on the Regal back in November. I ended up just going up to the TV I wanted to control very close with the remote which just ended up working that TV. It was very annoying and I did complain to Princess Corporate about it. They claim they are looking into the issue to see how they can resolve it.

The ones we had on the Royal in a mini were definitely IR style, and the ones on Regal look to be the same units from photos. If they were RF the curtain wouldn't work, but it did.

I'm not sure about the mini suites but the Samsung TV's Princess now have installed use RF type remote tuners. The probability of interference between TV remotes shouldn't be a problem. If it did the remote would be changing channels in adjoining cabins.

I'm not sure about the mini suites but the Samsung TV's Princess now have installed use RF type remote tuners. The probability of interference between TV remotes shouldn't be a problem. If it did the remote would be changing channels in adjoining cabins.

The cabin walls are metal so an RF control would not control the TV next door. Metal shields RF particularly a low power signal like a remote. For a similar example trying to use two way radios (aka walkie talkie) between cabins separated by a suitable distance will not work in spite of the increased power.

The TVs use IR and any TV that can receive the signal will respond. IR is easy to block but it must be something physical like the curtain. This is the problem of having two TVs almost back to back as they do in a mini-suite. There is no getting around the problem except by using the curtain or standing close to the TV and aiming the remote at it such that the other TV is behind you.

We sailed Regal earlier this month and had the mini suite and can relate to the issue. The fix was not hard. Just put something between you and the unwanted TV when you turn on the one you want. This can be the curtain, your body, your hand, a piece of paper, etc. The unwanted TV will not come on. It was not that big a deal.

Sems like a an easy and simple solution.....:):):)

Bob

The cabin walls are metal so an RF control would not control the TV next door. Metal shields RF particularly a low power signal like a remote. For a similar example trying to use two way radios (aka walkie talkie) between cabins separated by a suitable distance will not work in spite of the increased power.

The TVs use IR and any TV that can receive the signal will respond. IR is easy to block but it must be something physical like the curtain. This is the problem of having two TVs almost back to back as they do in a mini-suite. There is no getting around the problem except by using the curtain or standing close to the TV and aiming the remote at it such that the other TV is behind you.

The wall may block the signal as it's probably not strong enough but the Samsung TV's were definitely the RF type. I'm not sure about the Viewsonics.