Is the Arcadia getting tired even though she has had a refurb!

oldgrouchuk

I have read a few reviews of the arcadia since here fairly recent refit. I must say most seemed positive but there are quite a few negative ones. Having sailed on the Arcadia a few years ago should we remember her as she was (which was very nice) or should we give her another go. We are thinking on the Caribbean Christmas cruise Dec 2015 Southampton to Southampton. Several mentioned that the Arcadia has quite a bit of movement in rough seas, it seemed as if the stabilisers are not being used! What are your thoughts please. Oldgrouchuk.

I'll start by saying that I can't answer your question as I haven't been on her since her maiden season! But I am booked on her this July so am interested in any responses about the refit, and the condition of the ship generally.

But the moans about ships in rough seas and the (lack of) use of stabilisers does come up quite often on this forum and I have to say I generally ignore them these days as many cruisers simply don't understand how stabilisers work , and at the same time seem to expect modern ships to be like a land based hotel ...

It is a fact of life that a ship on a rough sea will move! Some are a bit more stable than others, but there are also times when the use of stabliserswill make little difference - or would make the ride rather more uncomfortable. stabilisers are there to reduce roll and much of the problem people complain about is with pitching movements which is partly down to the design of modern cruise ships which have a relatively short bow. It is only those with a long bow that are likely to cut through, rather than ride up over, the waves better , like the QM2.

So, to those that complain about movement, I recomend they stick to land based holidays and leave those of us that enjoy a bit of up and down, to it!:)

We did the recent Caribbean transatlantic, bumpy for the the first 2/3 days to the Azores. No more or less than other ships.

We thought she was good. We like her. I do not look to deeply into the ship. Any ship at sea will have rust..salt does it. Carpets all looked OK. Cannot remember seeing anywhere that looked shabby.

Just off her today. Yes, there is some movement, probably a bit more than Vantura or Azura, but less so the smaller ships e.g. Fred's Black Watch on which I spent an uncomfortable night a few years ago.

In terms of internals, she looks absolutely spiffing. The refurbished Crows Nest is excellent, and the cabins all had some degree of refurbishment as well.

My last trip on her was pre-refit and she was ok then. Certainly not tired, a spruce up needed here and there, but other than that it was fine.

I went on Oceana on the next trip and boy, what a difference! She was looking tired in places and in need of TLC more than Arcadia.

We did the recent Caribbean transatlantic, bumpy for the the first 2/3 days to the Azores. No more or less than other ships.

We thought she was good. We like her. I do not look to deeply into the ship. Any ship at sea will have rust..salt does it. Carpets all looked OK. Cannot remember seeing anywhere that looked shabby.

We were also on this trip,first time ever on a cruise ship. I found most of the ship shabby looking and in need of a thorough clean. Our cabin, abalcony on A deck had two cracks on the bathroom floor ! Around the tv on the wall there looked as if a bigger tv had been there as the wall had a mark around it.The buffet restaurant was a bit shabby too. We also noticed some carpets looked a bit worn along the corridors.

The spa and gym were fine and well equipped, spent alot of time there on sea day's as not much else to do. I know I have no other ship to compare it to, but was expecting something along the lines of a 5 star hotel not a 3 star. Not impressed at all

We were also on this trip,first time ever on a cruise ship. I found most of the ship shabby looking and in need of a thorough clean. Our cabin, abalcony on A deck had two cracks on the bathroom floor ! Around the tv on the wall there looked as if a bigger tv had been there as the wall had a mark around it.The buffet restaurant was a bit shabby too. We also noticed some carpets looked a bit worn along the corridors.

The spa and gym were fine and well equipped, spent alot of time there on sea day's as not much else to do. I know I have no other ship to compare it to, but was expecting something along the lines of a 5 star hotel not a 3 star. Not impressed at all

Your expectations were perhaps a little bit too high no P&O ships are in comparison to a 5 star hotel and I am sure you would not get the same as you did in a 5 star hotel for the same money. At best P&O rate 3/4 star in the current cruise market.

Your expectations were perhaps a little bit too high no P&O ships are in comparison to a 5 star hotel and I am sure you would not get the same as you did in a 5 star hotel for the same money. At best P&O rate 3/4 star in the current cruise market.

How many 5 star hotels would charge you around £100 a night for full board plus entertainment? In none of them would you wake up somewhere else each morning. Arcadia is in generally good order although if you were looking for faults you would find them, just as you would in any top hotel and I venture to suggest in most people's homes. Cruising with P&O is not compulsory. I wish those that do not find it to their taste cruised with another line so we would have to suffer less of their moaning.

I have travelled a lot on P&O ships including Arcadia and have been on cruises that go half way around the world.

All I can say is that they are generally in good condition, however there are exceptions to this. One thing I notice is that when things break down they do not fix them. There is lousy maintenance on their ships.

Examples: none of the whirlpool spas work on any of their ships anymore. They boast about them in advertising yet they don't have any jet stream or bubbles. They would be better off removing them in favour of more deck space. If there are water leaks on the ship they don't patch it they just put towels and buckets around. For 4 years in a row Aurora had flaking paint on the promenade deck roof close to the forward doors. This flaking paint would fall off and land on deck chairs. It was a issue I noticed from 2002 to 2006.

Its just little things like that that you know can easily be fixed with a bit of hard work that they seem to let slip.

In general I cant complain too much about their ships. They are normally in good working order. Unfortunately sometimes things break down and they are not a top priority to repair.

How many 5 star hotels would charge you around £100 a night for full board plus entertainment? In none of them would you wake up somewhere else each morning. Arcadia is in generally good order although if you were looking for faults you would find them, just as you would in any top hotel and I venture to suggest in most people's homes. Cruising with P&O is not compulsory. I wish those that do not find it to their taste cruised with another line so we would have to suffer less of their moaning.

We usually fly to the carribbean, stay 4 or 5 star all inclusive, usually holiday with BA. Have also stayed at sandals hotels. I'm aware that cruising with p&o is not compulsory !! We will not be cruising again, as it wasn't for me.! Either with p&o or indeed any cruise line.

I was merely answering the original question that was posed as to the condition of the ship. Enjoy your future cruises, I'm sure you will meet many more moaners aboard the ships, as we did.

Incredibly, on my recent Aurora cruise, there were people complaining about the ship going up and down, in the Bay of Biscay in late November! One wonders why they came at all!

One man said he found Arcadia more stable than Aurora.

Thank you Wilson....three ships in our case, and all lovely, Arcadia especially so in July after her refit. Of course they aren't perfect...,but as someone else said, if you looks for faults you will find them. Roll on 2015 and two cruises, Azura and Britannia.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unless you happen to be on a maiden voyage, you will find wear and tear on any ship. But generally we have found Azura and Ventura to be very nice places to spend a holiday, Certainly better than any Caribbean hotel we have seen.

I do have to admit to seeing a maintenance sticker over a urinal on Azura saying it was undergoing repair and it was dated five months earlier:eek: Not sure how long it takes to fix a loo.:)