Questions re Bernards Tours.

sammy7088

We did Tour 2 back in April on the NCL Gem, and it was by far my favorite cruise excursion/tour that I've ever taken!

The only downside is that I had expected 2 hours as Orient Beach, and we were only there for a little over an hour, and when we went, the beach was flooded with seaweed:eek:

We did Tour 2 back in April on the NCL Gem, and it was by far my favorite cruise excursion/tour that I've ever taken!

The only downside is that I had expected 2 hours as Orient Beach, and we were only there for a little over an hour, and when we went, the beach was flooded with seaweed:eek:

I am on the list of satisfied Bernard's customers, but this is my one gripe, at least for the public tour. They have taken away the time from the stops I liked and added a couple of "contrived" tourist stops. Our 2013 roll call had enough people that they got their own tour and specified the agenda. At least there is that option.

We just booked for a second time with Bernards Tours.

What makes it so special? Well for one its $45 pp, in other islands we have paid $75-90 pp for a tour. Also included in this tour is free beer, rum punch,soda, water. So right there that makes it special! :)

This is one reason that I would hesitate going on the tour with kids. i.e. free beer and rum for adults as I know this can give some the 'party' feel. Has this ever been an issue?

This is one reason that I would hesitate going on the tour with kids. i.e. free beer and rum for adults as I know this can give some the 'party' feel. Has this ever been an issue?

It wasn't when we went, but I could see where some might over do.

I wonder how the guide would handle someone who drank too much? Would they cut them off? I don't know.

In some reviews I have read, they didn't bring out the drinks when a bunch of kids were in the group. <That is second hand information) My group had no kids and we had a great time. The week I did this (May 2011) they had two public groups and they put all the families with kids in their own group.

In some reviews I have read, they didn't bring out the drinks when a bunch of kids were in the group. <That is second hand information) My group had no kids and we had a great time. The week I did this (May 2011) they had two public groups and they put all the families with kids in their own group.

Thanks....good to hear. And how smart that if there are families with kids, they group them together.

I took his tour in 2010 with a girl-friend. Now, I would like to take his tour with my DH. The tour was fabulous and the rum punch was Bernard's secret recipe, a yellowish brown well laced drink. I hear it's more like a red fruit punch juice now. After what I read here, I will go ahead and see if we can book with him. Thank you for all the wonderful information.

Will let you know how it goes!

I took his tour in 2010 with a girl-friend. Now, I would like to take his tour with my DH. The tour was fabulous and the rum punch was Bernard's secret recipe, a yellowish brown well laced drink. I hear it's more like a red fruit punch juice now. After what I read here, I will go ahead and see if we can book with him. Thank you for all the wonderful information.

Will let you know how it goes!

Just did Bernards tour 1 on 9/30. Simon was our guide a d he was wonderful. Yes the punch was a yellowish brown color and was delish and strong. Only thing was only 4 planes came in the entire day since it is low season. He stopped the 12 passenger van on the road by what was the beach now rocks and I got a video of it landing. The 1 hour in Marigot was terrific. We ate at a local restaurant Rosemary.It was delicious. The shopping area is great and I practiced my art of bargaining and got great buys.

Just did Bernards tour 1 on 9/30. Simon was our guide a d he was wonderful. Yes the punch was a yellowish brown color and was delish and strong. Only thing was only 4 planes came in the entire day since it is low season. He stopped the 12 passenger van on the road by what was the beach now rocks and I got a video of it landing. The 1 hour in Marigot was terrific. We ate at a local restaurant Rosemary.It was delicious. The shopping area is great and I practiced my art of bargaining and got great buys.

I hope that you mean that only four planes came in while you were at Maho, as tomorrow is VERY off-season, and I see 29 planes scheduled between 10:00 and 4:00 PM.

gary

I hope that you mean that only four planes came in while you were at Maho, as tomorrow is VERY off-season, and I see 29 planes scheduled between 10:00 and 4:00 PM.

gary

Nope. 4 planes were on the board. We saw the 1:59 pm there was one at 3:15 and then one at 5:30 also an earlier one in the morning.

Nope. 4 planes were on the board. We saw the 1:59 pm there was one at 3:15 and then one at 5:30 also an earlier one in the morning.

What Sunset chooses to put up on their board doesn't necessarily reflect what will actually occur.

Check out the Maho page at Joyce's website to see what's actually happening, today and tomorrow.

Make sure you change the time period to when you might be there.

gary

Ugh...that sucks that you barely got to see any planes at Maho.

Do you remember what time Bernards Tours is at Maho?

The one thing I remember myself and from talking to others, the various drivers for Bernard's undertand the people's desire to be there for the biggest planes and they seem to adjust their schedule accordingly.

The one thing I remember myself and from talking to others, the various drivers for Bernard's undertand the people's desire to be there for the biggest planes and they seem to adjust their schedule accordingly.

Thanks...good to know that they come at a time when you're likely to see.

I've been reading this thread from start to end and the tour certainly seems great. We were only planning on one excursion (already booked for one of our other ports) but now am thinking that we should do this one too. It only gets positive reviews.

We got to Maho around 1:45. We lucked out since a AA flight was arriving early. No way they would have stayed to 3:15.

I think it also depends what time your tour leaves. Right now the islands are in the same time zone as most of the ships. We didn't leave the port until 11 so a noon departure would miss the 2 pm flight on the other hand a 10 am departure would be there for lunch.

I think it also depends what time your tour leaves. Right now the islands are in the same time zone as most of the ships. We didn't leave the port until 11 so a noon departure would miss the 2 pm flight on the other hand a 10 am departure would be there for lunch.

That changes come November 1. Then St. Maarten and Eastern Florida will be off by an hour again.

Sailing from San Juan, the times don't change.

gary

We just did Bernards Tour 2 last week and had a ball. Had the famous "Mailman". We started with a driving tour in a very nice, clean and cold van. Cold bottles of water, soft drinks and beer. Yes, he had the hooch but he didn't make a huge offering. We had some kiddos on the bus. First main stop was at Maho beach, however, our anticipated departure time was 20 minutes prior to a jet arrival. The other families asked us if we wouldn't mind staying there long enough to see them come in. Of course! I wanted to see too.

After that, we drove some more and stopped at a street vendor shopping area. Had lunch at a french bakery. Not the famous Sarafinas (closed for remodeling) but one next door. Great prices and food! Then more touring.

Next we went to Orient Beach. Beautiful. We were all done around the same time. Minimal seaweed in the water - none on the beach. No nudes either. Some very aggressive locals hawking expensive massages ($60 for a foot massage?) and wares. I finally said, "I have no money" and she split within seconds. It was very quiet that day. For $10 more, you get two lounge chairs and an umbrella and a free rum punch drink.

More touring around the two sides with a stop on the side of the road for the Iguanas. Ok, I thought it would be blah but I loved it. So many of them! Mailman brought some lettuce and those suckers came running. They knew who their Daddy was. Was kind of fun.

More touring. He offered to drop us off at the main shopping areas but we were all worn out and all agreed to not stop for shopping. Decided to hit the pier shops on the way back to the ship.

Mailman was fantastic! Clear speaking English and I swear, we couldn't stump him on anything. He was so full of knowledge. The cost of the tour was fantastic. Lot of bang for the buck. He will let you customize the tour so long as everyone agrees and we had the most agreeable group of people. I think we had 8 adults and 3 kiddos. Very comfy van - lots of room for all.

He did offer my sister and I his "hooch" on the side away from the kiddos. Not a big drinker but I did taste it. Subject closed.

We just did Bernards Tour 2 last week and had a ball. Had the famous "Mailman". We started with a driving tour in a very nice, clean and cold van. Cold bottles of water, soft drinks and beer. Yes, he had the hooch but he didn't make a huge offering. We had some kiddos on the bus. First main stop was at Maho beach, however, our anticipated departure time was 20 minutes prior to a jet arrival. The other families asked us if we wouldn't mind staying there long enough to see them come in. Of course! I wanted to see too.

After that, we drove some more and stopped at a street vendor shopping area. Had lunch at a french bakery. Not the famous Sarafinas (closed for remodeling) but one next door. Great prices and food! Then more touring.

Next we went to Orient Beach. Beautiful. We were all done around the same time. Minimal seaweed in the water - none on the beach. No nudes either. Some very aggressive locals hawking expensive massages ($60 for a foot massage?) and wares. I finally said, "I have no money" and she split within seconds. It was very quiet that day. For $10 more, you get two lounge chairs and an umbrella and a free rum punch drink.

More touring around the two sides with a stop on the side of the road for the Iguanas. Ok, I thought it would be blah but I loved it. So many of them! Mailman brought some lettuce and those suckers came running. They knew who their Daddy was. Was kind of fun.

More touring. He offered to drop us off at the main shopping areas but we were all worn out and all agreed to not stop for shopping. Decided to hit the pier shops on the way back to the ship.

Mailman was fantastic! Clear speaking English and I swear, we couldn't stump him on anything. He was so full of knowledge. The cost of the tour was fantastic. Lot of bang for the buck. He will let you customize the tour so long as everyone agrees and we had the most agreeable group of people. I think we had 8 adults and 3 kiddos. Very comfy van - lots of room for all.

He did offer my sister and I his "hooch" on the side away from the kiddos. Not a big drinker but I did taste it. Subject closed.

Great description of the tour. Thanks as it helps to hear what you did and the order, and how he was flexible on the schedule. Sounds like you had a great time.

Hi Lisa,

We used Bernards a few years ago and they were excellent, glad they are still going as a friend is doing her first caribbean cruise and has asked me about private trips that I have done and one of the places she is visiting is St Maartan.

I have lost me information on this trip, but wondered if you still have the website address as when I google it, there are a few Bernards and don,t want to give the wrong one to me friend. TIA

Hi Lisa,

We used Bernards a few years ago and they were excellent, glad they are still going as a friend is doing her first caribbean cruise and has asked me about private trips that I have done and one of the places she is visiting is St Maartan.

I have lost me information on this trip, but wondered if you still have the website address as when I google it, there are a few Bernards and don,t want to give the wrong one to me friend. TIA

If you Google 'Bernard's Tours'. It will be the 3rd 1 down - Bernard's St. Maarten.

Sure, it is bernards tours dot com. Not sure if I can post full links? It will have Bernards SWM Tours in the picture. Same company. Some of our cruise mates took the ship's tour. More expensive; bus was crammed full of people and the ac in the back section broke. Not happy campers. Bernards had the cleanest tour vehicle I have EVER been in.