For charge restaurants - yay or nay?

fandssullivan

Thanks for starting picking on on this potential conversation. I only mentioned our preference to remind folks that the advertised price and the actual price plus "cost to benefit" varies significantly. Interestingly, the most "bang for your buck comes from higher end mass market lines like Princess or Celebrity and the premium lines like Oceania or Azamara.

Folks wanting a great vacation at a reasonable "curbside" price (as we used to say when I was in Brooklyn), really need to do far more research than is apparent in many CC postings.

You get what to pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't see where the PP was "picking on", but I have priced it out. For us and for what we typically use/spend on a cruise there's no way the premiums save us money or give us value. I am not going to pay for a lot of bells and whisltes that mean nothing to me.

Thanks for starting picking on on this potential conversation. I only mentioned our preference to remind folks that the advertised price and the actual price plus "cost to benefit" varies significantly. Interestingly, the most "bang for your buck comes from higher end mass market lines like Princess or Celebrity and the premium lines like Oceania or Azamara.

Folks wanting a great vacation at a reasonable "curbside" price (as we used to say when I was in Brooklyn), really need to do far more research than is apparent in many CC postings.

You get what to pay for.

Okay, here's the pricing (had some time on my hands):

Regent 10 day caribbean cruise out of Miami in 2/16 $12,600 for two people and includes roundtrip air, pre-cruise hotel, excursions, beverages and tips (the price does not include government taxes and fees because I didn't want to request a quote to get that, so the price paid would likely be higher). The price is for the lowest price balcony cabin.

NCL Gem out of NYC in 2/16 10 day eastern caribbean cruise, beverage package included in promo, $3300 midship balcony for two (that does include taxes and fees). The price difference would give us $9300 to spend on excursions, getting to the ship, and service charges/tips (and drinks if we happened to book without the promo).

NCL Spirit out of Port Canaveral in 2/16 14 day eastern/western caribbean, beverage package included in promo, $4600 for two in midship balcony. The price difference would give us $8000 on all of the other stuff.

As I said, I'm not going to pay for bells and whistles that don't matter to us.

I don't see where the PP was "picking on", but I have priced it out. For us and for what we typically use/spend on a cruise there's no way the premiums save us money or give us value. I am not going to pay for a lot of bells and whisltes that mean nothing to me.

Sorry -bad typing -I meant "picking up" on.

You are correct that the price is not always comparable. But, right itinerary (particularly heavy competition areas like Caribbean), embarkation requiring fly-in, specials for first time customers, OBC, etc. often does make it about even.

You are also correct, that if you don't use specialty restaurants or internet or if you remove auto tips or drive to the port, the price difference is there.

However, premiums are also about what you do not get: hordes of passengers with low staff ratio, mediocre food (just read CC), incessant announcements, nickel/diming (pay for bottled water or charge on top of a charge in a specialty restaurant!?!), smoking (some lines), fotogs and art auctions, et al. (depending on the line).

The other area where premiums may not work as well is with school age kids who would enjoy a kid's program. When our granddaughter gets a little older, we'll take her on Disney.

Don't get me wrong here. We traveled on NCL and Royal C in years past. It worked for us then. But, we were not as astute shoppers as we are now.

Again, I only point to the premiums because of the erroneous belief that they are out of reach cost wise. Not necessarily.

A good analogy is fine dining restaurants. You may consider a restaurant like K-Paul's in NOLA (conversation currently on a different CC thread) to be too expensive. But, you can experience the same quality at significant savings by picking the right "itinerary" (lunch vs dinner).

You get what to pay for.

Then why didn't you say what you said in this post? You other post offered nothing to the conversation.

OP, we typically don't bother with the extra charge restaurants. We did one this past summer but the charge was only $15 per person. The MDR food on the NCL Dawn was average at best but we didn't know that before booking this restaurant. I still don't think I would have booked more, just probably would cruise with NCL again unless the price and itinerary was right.

Sorry -bad typing -I meant "picking up" on.

You are correct that the price is not always comparable. But, right itinerary (particularly heavy competition areas like Caribbean), embarkation requiring fly-in, specials for first time customers, OBC, etc. often does make it about even.

You are also correct, that if you don't use specialty restaurants or internet or if you remove auto tips or drive to the port, the price difference is there.

However, premiums are also about what you do not get: hordes of passengers with low staff ratio, mediocre food (just read CC), incessant announcements, nickel/diming (pay for bottled water or charge on top of a charge in a specialty restaurant!?!), smoking (some lines), fotogs and art auctions, et al. (depending on the line).

The other area where premiums may not work as well is with school age kids who would enjoy a kid's program. When our granddaughter gets a little older, we'll take her on Disney.

Don't get me wrong here. We traveled on NCL and Royal C in years past. It worked for us then. But, we were not as astute shoppers as we are now.

Again, I only point to the premiums because of the erroneous belief that they are out of reach cost wise. Not necessarily.

A good analogy is fine dining restaurants. You may consider a restaurant like K-Paul's in NOLA (conversation currently on a different CC thread) to be too expensive. But, you can experience the same quality at significant savings by picking the right "itinerary" (lunch vs dinner).

The premium line would need to be within a ballpark of a few hundred dollars of a main stream line in order for us to consider booking it, comparing what they offer with what we'd use/spend on the mainstream line (and I'm not even going to think about DW wanting a whole new wardrobe before saling on a premium line:eek:). But for 9000 beans I can put up with a whole lot (especially if it doesn't really feel like I'm "putting up" with anything).

The premium line would need to be within a ballpark of a few hundred dollars of a main stream line in order for us to consider booking it, comparing what they offer with what we'd use/spend on the mainstream line (and I'm not even going to think about DW wanting a whole new wardrobe before saling on a premium line:eek:). But for 9000 beans I can put up with a whole lot (especially if it doesn't really feel like I'm "putting up" with anything).

Okay - so some 10 day Oceania cruises in the Caribbean run (per person) about $3700 for a balcony. Subtract approx. $700 for air credit= $3000. The right itinerary will get you included gratuities ($150) and maybe another $150 in O's OBC. You're down to $2700/person. Add another $250/person in TA OBC = $2450/person. Subtract a couple of nights in specialty restaurants and your non-alcohol beverage package on a mass market line (don't know what these charges would be). But let's figure a conservative $100/person for the whole trip. You're now at $2350/person for balcony. AND, if you are dealing with a top producing O TA who has a current special "new O customer" discount of about 10% of the original $3700, you're in at under $2000 for 10 days in a balcony on a premium line.

And don't worry about wife's wardrobe- no formal nights on O - no gowns, no tuxes. At most: the option of "little black dress" for her and blazer for you. And that would be more than many others bring.

Okay - so some 10 day Oceania cruises in the Caribbean run (per person) about $3700 for a balcony. Subtract approx. $700 for air credit= $3000. The right itinerary will get you included gratuities ($150) and maybe another $150 in O's OBC. You're down to $2700/person. Add another $250/person in TA OBC = $2450/person. Subtract a couple of nights in specialty restaurants and your non-alcohol beverage package on a mass market line (don't know what these charges would be). But let's figure a conservative $100/person for the whole trip. You're now at $2350/person for balcony. AND, if you are dealing with a top producing O TA who has a current special "new O customer" discount of about 10% of the original $3700, you're in at under $2000 for 10 days in a balcony on a premium line.

And don't worry about wife's wardrobe- no formal nights on O - no gowns, no tuxes. At most: the option of "little black dress" for her and blazer for you. And that would be more than many others bring.

I have to admit that I've never priced Oceania but in your example that puts it within $700 of the Gem sailing that I cited above. If all of the if's came together than it would be worth some thought. (And OBC is all well and good but I'm still out of pocket for the fare and really, if everything is included what am I going to spend all of that OBC on? In any event the only thing that's subtracted up front in your example is a possible 10% discount so I would have to pony up $6000 for two in order to board the vessel, and since the Gem is $3300, Oceania is still $2700 away from NCL. Then I'd have to ask myself of that $2700 how much do I have to spend on the Gem that I wouldn't have to spend on Oceania.) Still, the math might work for some people.

I have to admit that I've never priced Oceania but in your example that puts it within $700 of the Gem sailing that I cited above. If all of the if's came together than it would be worth some thought. (And OBC is all well and good but I'm still out of pocket for the fare and really, if everything is included what am I going to spend all of that OBC on? In any event the only thing that's subtracted up front in your example is a possible 10% discount so I would have to pony up $6000 for two in order to board the vessel, and since the Gem is $3300, Oceania is still $2700 away from NCL. Then I'd have to ask myself of that $2700 how much do I have to spend on the Gem that I wouldn't have to spend on Oceania.) Still, the math might work for some people.

And that has been my point all along (on multiple threads). For some folks, the extra research may pan out with more itinerary choices and a different kind of experience.

Happy travels to you.

And that has been my point all along (on multiple threads). For some folks, the extra research may pan out with more itinerary choices and a different kind of experience.

Happy travels to you.

Forgot to add: we use the OBC for excursions and/or alcohol package. Some special discounts (e.g., new cruisers) are "money back" rather than OBC.

Happy travels to you.

Forgot to add: we use the OBC for excursions and/or alcohol package. Some special discounts (e.g., new cruisers) are "money back" rather than OBC.

Are you aware that you have twenty minutes to edit your post?

Did not know that! Possible to do with iPhone app, which is what I use for CC?

Let's find out. Works from tapatalk app. Select your mresage and and edit pencil is an option.

Edited by sparks1093

To answer the OP's question, when we cruise, we usually ask for a fixed dining time, and a table of 8, as we like to meet new people and get to know them over the course of the cruise. However, at least once per trip we like to have a dinner for two and will book a table in one of the specialty restaurants. It's nice to have a quiet dinner together, where we usually use it as a reason to celebrate something - our birthdays, our anniversary, the first Thursday of the week, etc. The nice thing is that it is completely optional; if you decide to go for it, you will find yourself paying much less for the meal than you would at a land-based restaurant.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hi there,

We are going on our "first real cruise" next week on the Carnival Breeze (I worked on a cruise 10 years ago for about 6 months, DH and I have been on one free Bud Light 3 nighter, which really doesn't count!) and were thinking whether the upcharge restaurants were worth it or not?

We will be doing a 6 night cruise with 3 ports. We are doing excursions in all 3 ports.

Since he doesn't eat sushi it would be a question of the Steakhouse and or the Italian. Are they worth the extra money and do they add to the experience of the cruise?

Thanks so much for any and all input!

Specialty restaurants are very subjective. We sail on Celebrity in a few days, and we will not be eating in their specialty restaurants. We checked their menus, and french cuisine is just not our favorite so it wouldn't be worth the extra fee for us.

That being said, we ate in the Steakhouse on our last Carnival Cruise, and it was outstanding. My Husband declared it a top 5 meal ever (on land or sea.) We would definitely pay the extra for the steakhouse again.

My advice would be, try to find a menu on the Carnival website. That way you can determine whether the meal will be worth the extra cost.

I havent yet been to the Steakhouse... I do however plan to try it on my March Cruise with the Hubby...

We did the Italian one on our last cruise and loved it...

Check when you board to see if they still offer a free bottle of wine if you eat in the steakhouse the first night.

I had always been opposed to paying for a specialty restaurant when the dining room food is adequate. However twice (RCCL and Carnival) we were given a comp to the steakhouse, and BOTH were excellent, excellent experiences. For the small fee, I would not hesitate to eat there again, in fact I am planning to do so in April as a little extra treat to me!

Thanks everyone! I actually went ahead and booked the steakhouse on the last night. Only reason I did that was because I am not too fussy about food, but my DH is... and I'm afraid that if he gets the best meal on the first day that the rest of the dinners will be a disappointment ;)

Now we just need to decide if we want to do the Italian as well... I find that to be an excellent value!!

We usually have traditional dining and don't go to the specialty restaurants. Last week, however, there was a waitlist for traditional dining when I booked our Princess cruise. I decided that would give us a chance to try what we'd been missing. On a 4-day cruise, we ate at the Italian restaurant, steak house, Crab Shack, and Ultimate Balcony Dinner. They were all great.

Thanks everyone! I actually went ahead and booked the steakhouse on the last night. Only reason I did that was because I am not too fussy about food, but my DH is... and I'm afraid that if he gets the best meal on the first day that the rest of the dinners will be a disappointment ;)

Now we just need to decide if we want to do the Italian as well... I find that to be an excellent value!!

On Carnival, we really thought about the Italian restaurant, but never made it. I agree - the price was great (I think it was only $5 for a kid!). But we did love the pasta served there during lunch and did that twice over the two weeks.

Great thinking regarding steakhouse revervation - I like it;)

Hi there,

We are going on our "first real cruise" next week on the Carnival Breeze (I worked on a cruise 10 years ago for about 6 months, DH and I have been on one free Bud Light 3 nighter, which really doesn't count!) and were thinking whether the upcharge restaurants were worth it or not?

We will be doing a 6 night cruise with 3 ports. We are doing excursions in all 3 ports.

Since he doesn't eat sushi it would be a question of the Steakhouse and or the Italian. Are they worth the extra money and do they add to the experience of the cruise?

Thanks so much for any and all input!

You will get many different views on this topic...I am a cruise agent & have cruised 30+ times including 6 on CCL...here is my take on specialty dining:

MDR food to me is 90% mediocre to "not bad" to "it's fine"..rarely do I say, "wow, that was fantastic- can't wait for tomorrow night!" Specialty dining to my wife & I is about the ambiance more than the better food & options..sure, the food is 100% better IMO, and the side dishes & appetizers are usually much better in these venues...I like escargots, crab cakes, potatoes lyonnaise, lobster tails, NY strip ( you can get some of these things, but I find the quality to be often just "fair"), Rib-eye, etc...My wife & work hard..dining with 1000-1500 people in a noisy,busy, & loud room is not always what I would like...we like a dark, candle lit room with soft colors..you won't get that in the MDR, will you? $25-35 PP is NOT a lot of money when you consider what you get: bread & butter, appetizers ( unlimited), salad, entree & side dishes ( unlimited & usually served family style so you can share..), dessert & coffee/tea, all for $25-35..that's a lot? You can't eat AT DENNY'S FOR THAT!! Go to a good steakhouse like Ruth Chris, Morton's, Capital Grille, etc., and see what a meal like this will cost- I'll tell you..about $ 150-175 easily! And BTW, the reviews on the steakhouse on the Breeze has been outstanding- some say the best meal they've ever had ANYWHERE!

MY advice- if he's a steak guy, take him to the steakhouse..you will NOT regret it, and now you will have a "special night" to look forward to..we like the MDR dining, but never "look forward" to it..BTW, also love the private table for 2- we always try & get that even in the dining room..JMHO from LOTS of experience on specialty dining...

Big Al

P.S.- I have a saying I tell friends & clients: If you want to eat, go to the buffet..if you want eat better, go to the MDR..if you want to DINE & enjoy your dining experience, go to a specialty restaurant- that's why you pay extra IMO...

You will get many different views on this topic...I am a cruise agent & have cruised 30+ times including 6 on CCL...here is my take on specialty dining:

MDR food to me is 90% mediocre to "not bad" to "it's fine"..rarely do I say, "wow, that was fantastic- can't wait for tomorrow night!" Specialty dining to my wife & I is about the ambiance more than the better food & options..sure, the food is 100% better IMO, and the side dishes & appetizers are usually much better in these venues...I like escargots, crab cakes, potatoes lyonnaise, lobster tails, NY strip ( you can get some of these things, but I find the quality to be often just "fair"), Rib-eye, etc...My wife & work hard..dining with 1000-1500 people in a noisy,busy, & loud room is not always what I would like...we like a dark, candle lit room with soft colors..you won't get that in the MDR, will you? $25-35 PP is NOT a lot of money when you consider what you get: bread & butter, appetizers ( unlimited), salad, entree & side dishes ( unlimited & usually served family style so you can share..), dessert & coffee/tea, all for $25-35..that's a lot? You can't eat AT DENNY'S FOR THAT!! Go to a good steakhouse like Ruth Chris, Morton's, Capital Grille, etc., and see what a meal like this will cost- I'll tell you..about $ 150-175 easily! And BTW, the reviews on the steakhouse on the Breeze has been outstanding- some say the best meal they've ever had ANYWHERE!

MY advice- if he's a steak guy, take him to the steakhouse..you will NOT regret it, and now you will have a "special night" to look forward to..we like the MDR dining, but never "look forward" to it..BTW, also love the private table for 2- we always try & get that even in the dining room..JMHO from LOTS of experience on specialty dining...

Big Al

P.S.- I have a saying I tell friends & clients: If you want to eat, go to the buffet..if you want eat better, go to the MDR..if you want to DINE & enjoy your dining experience, go to a specialty restaurant- that's why you pay extra IMO...

Folks interested in seeing what are some CC readers' standards for a "great meal" should check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2147334. Despite the reality that some cruisers may not live in an area full of fine dining choices, I am always amazed when I read on CC that a steakhouse on a ship served "the best meal they've ever had."

If food quality, in all venues on board, is important to you, look at Oceania for your next cruise. Even then, we're not talking about Michelin star dining (even in the specialty restaurants, which are no extra charge). At best, perhaps 2.5-3.0 stars (by the standard of The San Francisco Chronicle) - basically a very decent dining experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums