Plug adaptors

emski83

...I bought some international plug adaptors today and want to check they are the right ones.

USA plug

Europe plug...

Looks like you are from Australia, so I assume you got Oz plug->US socket and Oz plug->Europe socket adapters. All RCI ship cabins have both US standard sockets with 117volt alternating current, and European standard 234v ac sockets, so looks like you are good to go. Most electronics (ipads, cameras, etc) sense the voltage and automatically adjust to recharge on either voltage. I am from the US where almost everything is 117v, but I use the 234v European sockets (with adapter) to recharge my camera with no problem. If you plug your 234v hair dryer into 117v it will work, but barely; if I plug my 117v hair dryer into 234v it will burn out.

enjoy

Thom

You will be covered on the ship with these adaptors.

RCI ships have US-Style 110V and European Style 220V sockets.

Just bear in mind, that heavy duty items, such as hair straighteners, hair dryer etc, will not work using the American socket, you will have to use the Euro one, things like mobiles, tablets etc. should work on both, as their chargers are normally multi voltage.

You will be covered on the ship with these adaptors.

RCI ships have US-Style 110V and European Style 220V sockets.

Looks like you are from Australia, so I assume you got Oz plug->US socket and Oz plug->Europe socket adapters. All RCI ship cabins have both US standard sockets with 117volt alternating current, and European standard 234v ac sockets, so looks like you are good to go. Most electronics (ipads, cameras, etc) sense the voltage and automatically adjust to recharge on either voltage. I am from the US where almost everything is 117v, but I use the 234v European sockets (with adapter) to recharge my camera with no problem. If you plug your 234v hair dryer into 117v it will work, but barely; if I plug my 117v hair dryer into 234v it will burn out.

enjoy

Thom

Just bear in mind, that heavy duty items, such as hair straighteners, hair dryer etc, will not work using the American socket, you will have to use the Euro one, things like mobiles, tablets etc. should work on both, as their chargers are normally multi voltage.

And yes from Australia and first time nervous cruiser :)

Emily

enjoy

Thom

We have travel models of these that has a switch for conversion between 115V and 230V so that type will work fine if set to the voltage of the electrical socket available.

I agree that most, if not all electronics these days are multi-voltage, 100-240V, so they will work with either voltage offered in a cabin on board. I bring an European plug adapter in order to use our NA plug electronics with all electrical socket in the cabin and to plug in our laptop and itablet in public location like the internet café, windjammer, etc.

Edited by robtulipe

Please note, that there is a hairdryer in the stateroom, so you do need to bring your own for the cruise.

Yes, but some are not portable since on some ships and hotels they are hard wired in the bath/shower/toilet room and other don't work well for very long and dense hair.

I'm probably going to make things more confused, but I highly recommend getting something like the Belkin 3-outlet mini travel swivel charger surge protector if you are going to have a lot of electronic devices to plug in. I'm not sure sure how it would convert, but maybe there is a similar device for switching between the two. You will want to have more than the 2 outlets in the cabin, and it's nice to be able to charge things in the USB ports.

Have a great cruise!!

I'm probably going to make things more confused, but I highly recommend getting something like the Belkin 3-outlet mini travel swivel charger surge protector if you are going to have a lot of electronic devices to plug in. I'm not sure sure how it would convert, but maybe there is a similar device for switching between the two. You will want to have more than the 2 outlets in the cabin, and it's nice to be able to charge things in the USB ports.

Have a great cruise!!

That may make things more difficult for them, unless they offer the Belkin product with Australian plugs, otherwise they are going to need adapters for every outlet on it.

That may make things more difficult for them, unless they offer the Belkin product with Australian plugs, otherwise they are going to need adapters for every outlet on it.

That's why I said "get something like." :)

Totally OT, but is your screen name a reference to the town where the best university in the world is located? (And where I obviously was not any kind of science major... :D )

Hello

I bought some international plug adaptors today and want to check they are the right ones.

USA plug

Europe plug

Thanks

Emily

Hi,

please look at the picture of the outlet in the attachment below. The picture is of euro style outlet from the Navigator ( same family of ships as the Mariner). The voltage in the outlet is similar what you use in Australia, so you do not need any convertors or transformers.

What you do need is an adapter - male euro style plug with a female australian configuration on the other end.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=217613&d=1326222137

That's why I said "get something like." :)

Totally OT, but is your screen name a reference to the town where the best university in the world is located? (And where I obviously was not any kind of science major... :D )

Got it. Don't know if anyoNE outside of Australia would have something like it. As to your other question , my wife was born and raised in Ann Arbor, and I lived there myself for about 15 years, until the economy and job market fell apart, at which time we decided to relocate to Colorado. I would have picked "OSUSux," but was worried about death threats....LOL! Some people simply can't handle the truth!

>We have travel models of [hair dryers, etc] that has a switch for conversion between 115V and 230V so that type will work fine if set to the voltage of the electrical socket available.

I was trying to keep this simple:cool:, and what follows is more than most will care about.

That switch does solve the problem, but is not actually changing the voltage (whereas a transformer does change the voltage). Resistance type devices don't have a clue what voltage is being put into them; all they care about is the power they are drawing (too much power leads to overheating leads to fire:eek:). Most US hairdryers are multi-speed [low, medium, high]. For every hair dryer I've seen, the voltage switch is nothing but a mechanical block that limits the dryer to its lowest resistance level (typically 1/4 of the highest resistance). At the risk of too much information, the reason that the lowest resistance is 1/4 the highest is:

Current (I) increases linearly with voltage (V), so for a given resistance ® doubling the voltage will double the current.

Power (P) increases as the current squared times the given resistance.

So doubling the voltage from 117v to 234v increases the power 4 times (2 squared) if the resistance remains constant, thus requiring the maximum resistance to be limited by a factor of 4 to prevent burn-out.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming:o

Thom

Got it. Don't know if anyoNE outside of Australia would have something like it. As to your other question , my wife was born and raised in Ann Arbor, and I lived there myself for about 15 years, until the economy and job market fell apart, at which time we decided to relocate to Colorado. I would have picked "OSUSux," but was worried about death threats....LOL! Some people simply can't handle the truth!

Ha!! I love it! My dad is a huge OSU fan, so the past few years have been tough. But I think things are going to turn around now.

Out of Curiosity, Are the 230 Volt European Outlets in the ship 50 Hertz?

I tested this on the Enchantment of the Seas one year, and all the outlets were 60hz.

I believe all the RCI ships have 60hz generators.

Aloha,

John