Bringing alcohol home

Can someone please explain the whole process of buying alcohol from the islands or the duty free shops in the airport and bringing it back to the states.

We have cruised about 10 times but have never done this. We have a son getting married next year and would like to buy several bottles at a good savings. Just not sure how we need to do it

We are from Ohio and sailing out of San Juan. We DO NOT have direct flights f that makes a difference.

Islands we are visting, st Maarten. Barbados, st Lucia, Antigua, st croix. Best prices???

If you bring the alcohol onto the ship, the will keep it until the end of the cruise.

When you fly, you will have to pack the bottles in your checked bags. Look into some of the packing aids, such as wine diapers. You can find them on Amazon. Edited by clarea

[quote name='waterbugohio']Thanks, so I cannot carry on the plane. What about if I buy in the airport? Does San Juan have a duty free shop after security??[/quote]
You cannot carry on liquids beyond the small amount TSA allows in the quart size plastic bag.

If by "San Juan" you mean the cruise terminal, yes there is a duty free shop. If you mean the airport, I don't know that answer.

[quote name='waterbugohio']Can someone please explain the whole process of buying alcohol from the islands or the duty free shops in the airport and bringing it back to the states.

We have cruised about 10 times but have never done this. We have a son getting married next year and would like to buy several bottles at a good savings. Just not sure how we need to do it

We are from Ohio and sailing out of San Juan. We DO NOT have direct flights f that makes a difference.

Islands we are visting, st Maarten. Barbados, st Lucia, Antigua, st croix. Best prices???[/quote]Be sure to know your home prices before you buy; sometimes duty free is only a little cheaper, and not worth the hassle, especially with a connecting flight.

San Juan is a domestic US airport, so even if they have a duty free shop for flights to Europe, you would not be eligible to use it. I have heard (I don't KNOW this) that SJU does have a liquor store beyond security that sells some rums not usually available in mainland US.

When entering the US you are allowed to bring one liter per person tax and duty free; if purchased in USVI you are allowed to bring four liters; you are allowed an additional bonus liter if it was produced in the Caribbean. Usually tax on an additional liter or two is waived as collection costs are higher than the duty. So a couple COULD probably bring in 12 liters duty free. 12 liters will weigh between 25 - 30 pounds, and can NOT be taken through TSA.

IMO unless you are buying something at a really deep discount or something you really like that is not available at home, it is not worth the trouble. Just my $0.02.

Thom

[quote name='waterbugohio']Can someone please explain the whole process of buying alcohol from the islands or the duty free shops in the airport and bringing it back to the states.

Islands we are visting, st Maarten. Barbados, st Lucia, Antigua, st croix. Best prices???[/QUOTE]

St Maarten has the best prices, we only bring back 1 or 2 bottles at most, I like the Cherry Grand Marnier which is not sold in the US but you can get it there

Islands we are visting, st Maarten. Barbados, st Lucia, Antigua, st croix. Best prices???[/QUOTE]Best prices are at st Maarten. I used to do this a lot but like other folks have posted, it's just not worth the hassle.

[quote name='George C']St Maarten has the best prices, we only bring back 1 or 2 bottles at most, I like the Cherry Grand Marnier which is not sold in the US but you can get it there[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I purchased Cherry Grand Marnier at my local liquor store in the states just before Christmas and it was cheaper than a Canadian Duty Free Shop was charging last year.
Can't get it in Canada anymore.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='George C']St Maarten has the best prices, we only bring back 1 or 2 bottles at most, I like the Cherry Grand Marnier which is not sold in the US but you can get it there[/quote][quote name='FLACRUISER99']Best prices are at st Maarten. I used to do this a lot but like other folks have posted, it's just not worth the hassle.[/quote]I'll third that I find best prices in Sint Maarten, and occasionally on closed-loops from Florida I buy items there that I can't normally get (we drive to our FL condo). ;)I encourage others to stock up in Sint Maarten, and then when they discover what a hassle it will be on the plane I kindly offer to take it off their hands:D

Thom

OK, thanks all for all the info.

All of this is kinda what I thought, but just wanted to make sure.

Agree that I will have to check the local prices and even see if it would be worth the hassle.

And as far as limits, we are traveling with 8 adults, so it could be divided out to carry on, if cheap enough in duty free.

And agree if having to put in the checked bag it is definitely no worth it!!

Some places will ship it home so you don't have to even mess with it. We just came back from Mexico and I didn't find anything cheap enough to bring back. In fact some was more expensive than at my big box store. That's of course stuff I can get at home and not stuff only available there.

I also saw for the first time U.S. Customs approved bags that are sealed by the duty free shop at the airport (post security check point) that hold full size bottles. According to the sign in the shop they will get the bottles through subsequent security check points (domestic) and bypass the 3 oz rule.

[quote name='maureencruiser']On a side note, who remembers the heady pre 2001 days when everybody got on the plane with bottles and bottles? :D:D[/QUOTE]

Isn't it sad? Flying used to be sort of fun. :D

[quote name='clarea']You cannot carry on liquids beyond the small amount TSA allows in the quart size plastic bag.

If by "San Juan" you mean the cruise terminal, yes there is a duty free shop. If you mean the airport, I don't know that answer.[/QUOTE]

That's not true for items purchased after security, like the poster asked. Liquids purchased in the "secure area" can be carried on the plane regardless of volume (as long as they fit in your one carry-on bag). I've purchased wine to bring as a gift after security many times and carried it on the plane.

[quote name='ahecht']That's not true for items purchased after security, like the poster asked. Liquids purchased in the "secure area" can be carried on the plane regardless of volume (as long as they fit in your one carry-on bag). I've purchased wine to bring as a gift after security many times and carried it on the plane.[/quote]

But the OP has to connect at another Airport and might get a Problem with his purchases when Boarding the new plane.

[quote name='jamesr3939']...I also saw for the first time U.S. Customs approved bags that are sealed by the duty free shop at the airport (post security check point) that hold full size bottles. According to the sign in the shop they will get the bottles through subsequent security check points (domestic) and bypass the 3 oz rule.[/quote]I have seen this in the EU for years; sounds like finally the US may be catching up.[quote name='ahecht']That's not true for items purchased after security, like the poster asked. Liquids purchased in the "secure area" can be carried on the plane regardless of volume (as long as they fit in your one carry-on bag). I've purchased wine to bring as a gift after security many times and carried it on the plane.[/quote]True, but I've seen many people who buy duty free leaving Europe for the US, and don't stop to think about US Customs at their first stop in the US, and subsequent need to re-clear security for their domestic connection. [No problem, if you don't have to re-clear.]

Thom

PS I just saw the post immediately above (posted while I was typing). Generally (not always) there is no re-inspection for domestic connections. Edited by TravelerThom

There is a duty free store after security in the airport. We made purchases there and what they do is put your purchase in special bags and then put a seal on it to lock close the bag. You are not allowed to break that seal and they check it at the gate before boarding. You do not have to put it in your carry on as you might not have any carry on other than the purchase you just made.