Such opposite reviews of Quantum

I think some people are getting the bad end of a new ship with new methods and systems...Some people aren't. I'm assuming that things will improve on the ship as problems get worked out and reviews will reflect that.

Hopefully things will improve by the 20th of next month!

I saw a raving review of Quantum by someone who basically had just started posting with that review post.

Call me cynical but I think the negative reviews come from honestly bad experiences. I think some of the positive reviews come from cheerleaders/people with a vested interest.

I've never really read a set of reviews on a ship that comprised so many negative and scathing reactions as those that were made with "dynamic dining", and I don't think that can be fixed with the flip of a switch.

Edited by skagen

I saw a raving review of Quantum by someone who basically had just started posting with that review post.

Call me cynical but I think the negative reviews come from honestly bad experiences. I think some of the positive reviews come from cheerleaders/people with a vested interest.

I've never really read a set of reviews on a ship that comprised so many negative and scathing reactions as those that were made with "dynamic dining", and I don't think that can be fixed with the flip of a switch.

I find it pretty ridiculous and ignorant that you would go as far as to label anyone that posted a nice review of the Quamtum either a sell out or a cheerleader.

Why do people have to label others to have this sense of superiority? So just because we disagree in an opinion based on two different experiences I’m a Cheerleader? I’ve seen this trend in many posts and I find it ridiculous.

Liking or disliking something is entirely subjective, for some people Picasso might be the best artist to ever live, while others might be clueless as to why he is so renowned and find his art something a child could do (obviously not), the point is that who am I to judge what you like or you dislike?, it’s a free world, you can do whatever you want as long as you don’t harm anyone or anything else.

There are many lurkers in the internet that never share their opinions but instead read / view information, and sometimes those lurkers join in the discussion, which is why you’re seeing posters with only 1 post. It doesn’t have to mean that they’re sell outs looking for their best interests.

Considering the audience in cruise critic seems to be older than 40+, I’d expect people to behave with more maturity than what i've seen and read in an alarming amount of comments I’ve read so far. No wonder the world is so f’ed up, that attitude is what you’re passing into your children, grandchildren, etc.

I'm not surprised that some are being labelled as cheerleaders or sellouts after days and days of people who weren't happy with their experience being called whiners, negative nellies, etc. It's natural to become defensive when your beliefs are challenged.

Why can't we all just get along? :D

The negative reviews mainly come from traditionalists not liking RCI's "This changes everything" mantra for the Quantum class (mainly DD) along with things not working as designed.

The folks with positive review have no issue with the new philosophy and were lucky enough to not encounter any issues.

Do you have any thoughts on why Quantum's reviews are so widely opposite?

Psychologically, I'm curious if anyone sees some resemblances or demographics in the love / hate of this ship.

It's new and different. Not everyone likes new and different. I like new and different. We've been cruising since the 70's first cruise was on the Leonardo DiVinci. Cruising has changed considerably since then as has the cruising public.

We loved the ship and DD, never a fan of the cattle call for dinner. The option for MTD was an improvement for us even if it meant we had to occasionally wait for our table. Really looking forward to sailing on Quantum again in 27 days.

Having sailed her, I must say our impression was on the WOW side. Sure there were things that left you scratching your head but the Ship exceeded our expectations. It was our 5th cruise.

What I found while going through too many of the negatives was the "a friend of a friend sailed on QotS and she/he said it was horrible but doesnt come on CC so I just have to tell someone...."

I carry the extra pounds gained through DD as a badge of honour!

Cheers,

Jeff

We have no vested interest in RCCL, nor do we work in the cruise industry.

My wife and I took the 2-night sampler cruise on Quatum on November 21 and loved every minute of it.

I was opposed to Dynamic Dining before, but, the restaurants we dined at, the Grande and Wonderland were superb.

The ship is spectacular and captures your imagination with a vast array of whimsical art and modern, sleek and elegant public spaces.

My sign and sail card had to be re-programed and the reservations person at the Grande was a tad surly when I asked a question. These however, are insignificant nothings in what was otherwise a wonderful cruise.

The crew was very friendly, the entertaiment was Wow particularly Starwater at 270. We also loved the Music Hall.

We can't wait for a full week aboard this awesome ship in 38 days.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I think it comes down to what people are looking for in a cruise. If you want the traditional cruise with a large dining room, meeting and getting to know your table mates, a welcome show, headliner, and the standard shows you will not like Quantum.

On the other hand if you want diversity, the option to dine in a different restaurant every night, a larger variety of shows at multiple times of which you can choose, you will probably like it a lot.

The cruise lines are looking for the "never cruised" before people and trying to lure them in with a resort on the sea. Many younger individuals don't want the old time cruising experience and Quantum delivers to this new group.

We were on the 3 night sampler back in November. We went in knowing that there would be a few bumps along the way, but found many more than we expected. The staff was overwhelmed even though the ship was not sailing full. We waited in many lines for just about everything. The ship was absolutely gorgeous, the entertainment wonderful. Still not sure it is a ship we will sail on again. Will have to wait for drama to die down a bit and see where the ship ends up after the tweaking has been done.

I think the biggest issue was that nobody really knew what the ship would like when they booked it. Yes, we heard it would be different, but we heard that about other builds as well. Once people learned about all the details, for most it was too late to cancel, or like us we decided to give it a try and go in with an open mind and I am glad we did go, but also glad it was only 3 days.

Having sailed on her and having experienced the old way of cruising I can definitely see why there are reviews that swing so far each way. Fortunately there are many ships out there (as well as cruise lines), there is one for everyone and Quantum is definitely not for everyone.

I think the biggest issue was that nobody really knew what the ship would like when they booked it. Yes, we heard it would be different, but we heard that about other builds as well. Once people learned about all the details, for most it was too late to cancel, or like us we decided to give it a try and go in with an open mind and I am glad we did go, but also glad it was only 3 days.

Having sailed on her and having experienced the old way of cruising I can definitely see why there are reviews that swing so far each way. Fortunately there are many ships out there (as well as cruise lines), there is one for everyone and Quantum is definitely not for everyone.

For me this IS the post of the year on this forum.

I would also like to point out this thread in the regular RCL forum and ask you to pretend that if you've never been booked on Carnival or NCL, how nervous you would be changing cruise lines... because Q is like being on a totally different cruise line. You could've called Quantum "ACME cruise lines" with a different banner and you would not have known any different.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2141942

My personal view are equal. Read post #292 as my summary of why I think you may like or not like Quantum Class, and then look yourself in the mirror and really decide what kind of person you are... if you're not good at dealing with changes nor having to make decisions, do not book Quantum class whatsoever. If you like the excitement of choices and want to experience a totally different cruise, book Quantum immediately as I think you'll really love it. And then there's the in between for those who enjoy both.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137643&page=15

Edited by Hoopster95

It's interesting to read here the explanations of why people hated or liked the Quantum. Just to add my two cents because our dissatisfied experience was not because we don't like new things or change. The reason we were unhappy was because of the technology not working correctly, RCL not having provided enough staff, and basics such as no hot water for showers. It also appears that it depended upon which sailing one was on, or whether one ate early or late. We were on the Christmas cruise which had long waits and lines for dining(we had late reservations), entertainment and activities. There was disorganization from the time we tried to check in to disembarkation. The ship was not ready for prime time for us and I had mistakenly thought that by the time we boarded that RCL would have had sufficient time to have solved the problems we encountered.

Edited by kiyoko

I'm not sure of the reasonings, but from the reviews so far, I've gathered that people either love or hate the Quantum.

...its either been "WOW" :D or "HORRIBLE" :mad:

Definitely not a WOW ship at all but 100% not horrible either.

It's a lovely ship and a fun ship.

I'm not sure of the reasonings, but from the reviews so far, I've gathered that people either love or hate the Quantum.

...its either been "WOW" :D or "HORRIBLE" :mad:

It was a mixed bag for us on our sailing. Beautiful ship, great concepts, terrible execution. But the bad outweighed the good given what went wrong for us.

I am on the Feb 2 sailing and have been following most of the posts.

It seems a large number of the very positive reviews come from Diamond or above posters.

I wonder if their higher status helps them work through the lines and other services issues more efficiently and with help from concierges etc. and softens the impact of the current problems?

I ask because I am not Diamond or higher and am concerned.

My interpretation of the unhappy people is that their issues are not change so much as lack of service; long lines, dropped reservations, difficulty in making reservations, over worked staff,etc.

I am surprised that these types of problems seem to be taking so long to resolve. My expectations of RCL are higher than current performance would justify.

I wonder if their higher status helps them work through the lines and other services issues more efficiently and with help from concierges etc. and softens the impact of the current problems?

My interpretation of the unhappy people is that their issues are not change so much as lack of service; long lines, dropped reservations, difficulty in making reservations, over worked staff,etc.

I am surprised that these types of problems seem to be taking so long to resolve. My expectations of RCL are higher than current performance would justify.

It has nothing to do with status. Some of the most vocal Quantum critics are experienced cruisers. Being a diamond does not get you into any restaurant faster or get you better service. The IT system doesn't care either.

You have pointed an issue that many probably have - too high of an expectation that RCI would solve all the teething problems quickly.

The best indication of this came from RCI themselves with the postponement of DD on Oasis. Even they realized that it will take longer than expected to get things right.

Edited by Biker19

I am on the Feb 2 sailing and have been following most of the posts.

It seems a large number of the very positive reviews come from Diamond or above posters.

We are not diamond. Apparently we are gold and had no idea we were even members.

It's interesting to read here the explanations of why people hated or liked the Quantum. Just to add my two cents because our dissatisfied experience was not because we don't like new things or change. The reason we were unhappy was because of the technology not working correctly, RCL not having provided enough staff, and basics such as no hot water for showers. It also appears that it depended upon which sailing one was on, or whether one ate early or late. We were on the Christmas cruise which had long waits and lines for dining(we had late reservations), entertainment and activities. There was disorganization from the time we tried to check in to disembarkation. The ship was not ready for prime time for us and I had mistakenly thought that by the time we boarded that RCL would have had sufficient time to have solved the problems we encountered.

If everything had "worked" correctly would you feel different about the Quantum? Would you sail it again in let's say 6 months when things have smoothed out or are you never going back? So it was mainly organizational/technical issues that made you unhappy, not the ship design, shows, venues, food, DD?

We have no vested interest in RCCL, nor do we work in the cruise industry.

My wife and I took the 2-night sampler cruise on Quatum on November 21 and loved every minute of it.

I was opposed to Dynamic Dining before, but, the restaurants we dined at, the Grande and Wonderland were superb.

The ship is spectacular and captures your imagination with a vast array of whimsical art and modern, sleek and elegant public spaces.

My sign and sail card had to be re-programed and the reservations person at the Grande was a tad surly when I asked a question. These however, are insignificant nothings in what was otherwise a wonderful cruise.

The crew was very friendly, the entertaiment was Wow particularly Starwater at 270. We also loved the Music Hall.

We can't wait for a full week aboard this awesome ship in 38 days.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

It will be interesting to know your views after 7 nights onboard.

If everything had "worked" correctly would you feel different about the Quantum? Would you sail it again in let's say 6 months when things have smoothed out or are you never going back? So it was mainly organizational/technical issues that made you unhappy, not the ship design, shows, venues, food, DD?

For us, nothing wrong with the ship design, shows, venues, food(except for AI and buffet at dinner) or the concept of DD. Just the execution. Service was all around terrible for us. Didn't matter what status one was. When I mention "service", I don't mean that the staff or crew were unpleasant or not doing their jobs. For the most part, they were working as hard as they could. There just wasn't enough on board to get the jobs done properly, especially with the technical glitches. From what I hear from my son, who has friends in the industry, it appears that it may take a long time for things to be "working" correctly or as advertised. Whether the lack of hot water for showers is an "organizational/technical" issue, RCL apparently knew of the problem before I boarded and didn't have it fixed. Not sure if 6 months will be long enough but IF RCL can get it's act together, we would consider sailing her again. However, since I think corporate made some huge miscalculated decisions and was/is slow in correcting those decisions, I will be very wary. Also my son refuses to sail her in Asia. But that's a different matter altogether.

My intention in posting my opinion of our sailing is to mainly have future passengers be aware of what we went through so that they won't be surprised once on board or that they can be proactive in attempting to prevent having the same type of experience, and that I'm not just "moaning and groaning" as others have described the negative reviews. Hope this helps.

Edited by kiyoko

I find it pretty ridiculous and ignorant that you would go as far as to label anyone that posted a nice review of the Quamtum either a sell out or a cheerleader.

Why do people have to label others to have this sense of superiority? So just because we disagree in an opinion based on two different experiences I’m a Cheerleader? I’ve seen this trend in many posts and I find it ridiculous.

Liking or disliking something is entirely subjective, for some people Picasso might be the best artist to ever live, while others might be clueless as to why he is so renowned and find his art something a child could do (obviously not), the point is that who am I to judge what you like or you dislike?, it’s a free world, you can do whatever you want as long as you don’t harm anyone or anything else.

There are many lurkers in the internet that never share their opinions but instead read / view information, and sometimes those lurkers join in the discussion, which is why you’re seeing posters with only 1 post. It doesn’t have to mean that they’re sell outs looking for their best interests.

Considering the audience in cruise critic seems to be older than 40+, I’d expect people to behave with more maturity than what i've seen and read in an alarming amount of comments I’ve read so far. No wonder the world is so f’ed up, that attitude is what you’re passing into your children, grandchildren, etc.

Now that's funny, complain about labeling then label us, " Considering the audience in cruise critic seems to be older than 40+ "

Complain about maturity then curse, " No wonder the world is so f’ed up, that attitude is what you’re passing into your children, grandchildren."

Us old geezers used to have a pot calling kettle saying, but that dates me :)

Everything is in the eye of the beholder.

George in NY