Returning To Celebrity After A Long Hiatus ... What To Expect

jewopaho

Terry ...

I couldn't ask for more ... thanks so much. My wife and I will look everything over and plan accordingly ... your suggestions are outstanding. We are indeed excited "about the ports, sights, cities, nature, countrysides, etc." as are all of our overseas adventures. By contrast, our week-long Caribbean jaunts are more of a quick getaway ... 55 minutes from home, and we're aboard. We often don't even leave the ship, having been to the ports so often. We're going to begin right now. Lots to look over.

Al

The only thing we really noticed missing lately were pillow chocolates and drink waiters in the dining room. You will find a more modern cruiseline than the one you remember, with new activities, new shows, sleeker decor, and more modern music. Have fun.

Terry ... I couldn't ask for more ... thanks so much. My wife and I will look everything over and plan accordingly ... your suggestions are outstanding. We are indeed excited "about the ports, sights, cities, nature, countrysides, etc." as are all of our overseas adventures. By contrast, our week-long Caribbean jaunts are more of a quick getaway ... 55 minutes from home, and we're aboard. We often don't even leave the ship, having been to the ports so often. We're going to begin right now. Lots to look over. Al

Appreciate this nice follow-up from our Houston friend. Glad to be helpful. Keep researching and planning. The port options in doing Australia-NZ or for much of Europe are so very, very different than what many have experienced in the Caribbean. It's a different, amazing world down under. Keep asking questions. The only "bad" question is the one you don't ask.

During our early 2014 Solstice cruise, they did not have the big, mid-day brunch. Not sure how much of that was cost-cutting, being concern on the health questions, etc. We had so much going on during our 14-day cruise, that it was not too major of a loss. Those mega brunches look great, but can be a bit "crazy" with the crowds and intensity.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these recent updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 27,450 views for this posting.

Edited by TLCOhio

Hmmm we had drink waiters in the MDR on our December Eclipse sailing.

I'm never one to buy into staff cutbacks but drink waiters certainly are gone in MDR in my observation. I noticed them missing on my Eclipse TA in April, and both Summits this summer, and Sille in November.

For me anyway, it's been our Waiter, Assistant Waiter or Somollier taking our drink orders, whereas in the past, there was a 4th person tending to the tables specifically for non-wine alcoholic orders. One night, the Maitre'd did on Sillie.

I chock it up to more people being in alternate venus, that they had logical reason reallocate some staff from the MDR where there are a couple hundred fewer people dining each night versus pre-specialty restaurants and BLU.

I didn't know this was a thing....

On summit this summer, they passed a tray of raspberry sorbets in small paper cups a couple times daily at pool, on sille in November, they had mango sorbet in small paper cups one afternoon (I spend very little time at pool, so can't comment if its a daily or hourly thing, but the times I was there it was passed out gratis.)

I also experienced this in NOV 2014 on the Constellation. My flavor was Kiwi, and it was very tasty! :)

We are long-time cruisers, and have sailed primarily with Royal Caribbean over the past several years. Our absence from Celebrity was strictly a matter of logistics, scheduling, itinerary, and (in the case of overseas voyages) price. Living less than an hour from Galveston, TX we do at least four trips a year from that port. To date me more precisely, my last Celebrity cruise was on a ship no longer in the fleet (Galaxy), probably in the early '90s.

We were attracted to the 12-night Australia-New Zealand trip out of Sydney aboard Solstice in February of 2016, and will book it on our upcoming cruise aboard Navigator of the Seas in a couple of weeks. Thankfully, we'll be enjoying the benefits of the Captain's Club Elite membership, as we're D+ on Royal.

I certainly understand that cutbacks are a part of today's cruise industry ... but I'm just wondering what we may expect. At the time of my last Celebrity sailing, the line was considered an upgrade ... not to the point of Regent or Oceania, but a definite ascension in quality and service. We had it on a par with Princess at that time ... but we've sailed with them on several occasions, and have noticed the effects of its acquisition by Carnival. It took a while, but it finally did happen.

So ... where is Celebrity on the scale? What significant changes have occurred over the past decade or so? Does it still have that reputation of a more elegant experience than Royal Caribbean? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Smooth sailing to all.

Al

Also, there are a couple of stickies you might want to check out which are at the top of the Celebrity main page of this board. One is about the current dress code, just read the first couple of pages it will give you an idea of what to expect now, the rest of the thread is crazy.

The other stickie is a spread sheet relative to rooms on Celebrity S class ships.

Appreciate this nice follow-up from our Houston friend. Glad to be helpful. Keep researching and planning. The port options in doing Australia-NZ or for much of Europe are so very, very different than what many have experienced in the Caribbean. It's a different, amazing world down under. Keep asking questions. The only "bad" question is the one you don't ask.

We're very much aware that overseas cruises are a far different animal from the "typical" Caribbean jaunt. We've been to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Oman (book this one ... absolutely amazing), the Norwegian Fjords, Eastern Mediterranean (Venice, Greek Isles, Turkey), and did the obligatory transatlantic voyage. We regard such cruises as adventures, whereas our trips out of Galveston are simply vacations.

This down-under voyage may well be our last major sailing, as we're both past 70 ... thankfully we're now quite healthy, and have had it on our bucket list for years. The more upscale cruise experience is likely to enhance things a bit, although we'd certainly have booked it on Royal if there were such an itinerary. In any event, we've gotten an incredible amount of information, and thank all of you for your contributions.

Josie & Al

Edited by jewopaho

As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice eleven months ago from doing a Sydney to Auckland sailing. Overall things worked fine for us and the six other couples in our travel group from Central Ohio. Check out the postings below on my live/blog for more info/background on these many different ports, tour options, visuals, etc.! Happy to answer any questions. Just go the live/blog, post there and I will be happy to respond and share more.

As you have wisely noted, certain "things" have changed with Celebrity and most other cruise lines. To be blunt and honest, however, much on this "down under" cruise is about the ports, sights, cities, nature, countrysides, etc. The Solstice is a very nicely-designed ship. Classy, fun, roomy for the number of passengers that it carries. Decent values, many food options, etc. See just a few of my visual samples below to get you excited about this upcoming cruise. We had been on the Solstice in the Med from Barcelona in June 2011. We could see a few things that might have slipped and/or could have been improved. BUT, nothing that I would call that major or dire.

Consider doing the two-day, Queenstown overnight excursion. Can explain details on the "why" for that option.

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,457 views for this posting.

Here is a photo highlight from our ship's production show called "Ghostlight--The Spirit of Broadway". Lots of great tunes, including many from the Four Seasons as done on Broadway with Jersey Boys. Nice lighting, staging, sets, etc.

SolsticeShows17_zps45d5d28d.jpg

For dining in Tuscan Grille on the Solstice in January while sailing from Australia to New Zealand, we started with a nice glass of sparkling Italian wine (Prosecco Spumanti). Fun, especially as the glass kept being re-filled!! One bread stick (got to save room for the later “good stuff). My first choice for “primi piatti”, crab cake with a good sauce. It’s called Polpette do Granchio. Roasted pepper caponata and basil emulsion. Then, a “warm-up dish” of Pomodora Mozzarella di Bufala. The main course was Lobster Papardella Alfredo. But, the best is always saved for last . . . a nicely designed and super tasting of this Italian favorite, Tiramisu. I also had some Limoncello to top off the dining delights. Did we like it all? Absolutely!! Plus, we had lots wave action to see (and survive) from this great viewing position on the back of the ship with its big glass windows on the fifth floor of the Solstice as we sailed across the somewhat rough Tasman Sea. :

TuscanampBridge14_zps6b5518d2.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

Hello, I would love more info on the two day Queenstown excursion as my husband and I are doing a 12 day Sydney to Auckland on the Solstice in December and are definitely considering it despite the high cost. Is it worth the price? How early does it need to be booked? I am a little concerned about it filling up. I looked through your other thread a bit but there was just so much there (which of course is great)!!

We're very much aware that overseas cruises are a far different animal from the "typical" Caribbean jaunt. We've been to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Oman (book this one ... absolutely amazing), the Norwegian Fjords, Eastern Mediterranean (Venice, Greek Isles, Turkey), and did the obligatory transatlantic voyage. We regard such cruises as adventures, whereas our trips out of Galveston are simply vacations. This down-under voyage may well be our last major sailing, as we're both past 70 ... thankfully we're now quite healthy, and have had it on our bucket list for years. The more upscale cruise experience is likely to enhance things a bit, although we'd certainly have booked it on Royal if there were such an itinerary. In any event, we've gotten an incredible amount of information, and thank all of you for your contributions. Josie & Al

Great news that you are so super experienced from your many, varied, super world travel experiences. From my perspective in the mid 60's, your 70's ages with good health is an excellent opportunity to keep doing more and more. BUT, also understand how going to Australia and New Zealand can be fairly challenging with the long airline flights, etc. Good luck in your efforts!! Keep up your very good research and planning efforts.

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,636 views for this posting.

Hello, I would love more info on the two day Queenstown excursion as my husband and I are doing a 12 day Sydney to Auckland on the Solstice in December and are definitely considering it despite the high cost. Is it worth the price? How early does it need to be booked? I am a little concerned about it filling up. I looked through your other thread a bit but there was just so much there (which of course is great)!!

Appreciate your kind comments and follow-up. We did, along with other couples in our travel group from Central Ohio, the two-day, overnight Queenstown excursion. It's a choice, not cheap. There are pro's and con's to consider. As previously noted, Milford Sound is suppose to be the best of the three you will visit. BUT, the biggest roll of the dice is the weather. These fjords can be spectacular, but you can have iffy weather. Maybe great and sunny. Maybe rainy with overcast, etc. Possible a little of both as your travels that day cover a varied amount of distance/travel among the three different areas.

On my live/blog I detail much on ALL that we did on this two-day excursion. WOW!! What a great trip. Loved it ALL so much. Not just charming Queenstown, but seeing a wonderful rainforest area, the charm of the interior of NZ's South Island, a cute old gold-rush town, a winery, the bridge where bungee jumping got its start, etc. On the Queenstown side of the mountains, there are less weather challenges, etc. With our tour, we still got a nice sampling of Dunedin, its very special train station, etc.

Either one can work well. Much depends on what you most like, seek and enjoy most. Below are a few visuals to give previews for what you can see in this excellent part of the world. Many, many more on the full live/blog.

Worth it? It was for us and the others in our group. Personal choice!! The NZ South Island is amazing and being able to sample it was very important for us to "feed" our personal interests to see and learn more about this unique part of the world.

I would book this trip in advance. It can be fairly popular. There were about 185 people doing this excursion on our early 2014 sailing.

Keep doing your future research and planning!! Happy to answer any more questions.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 191,836 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Going into Milford Sound on the Solstice, there were great view from our balcony on the tenth floor. We did not like the overcast skies and rain, but it added to the “drama” with the huge number of waterfalls in this area. In this picture, my wife is checking out these great sights from our balcony early this morning. It was a rocky crossing of the Tasman Sea.:

QueentownExcur1stA14_zpsd236d1b9.jpg

Our first stop after getting off of the Solstice and boarding our bus was a major rainforest areas in the Fiordlands National Park. Amazing site and stop!! Yes, there was some rain that morning. But, here are some facts to consider. In the Milford Sound area, they get an average of 23 feet (that's right FEET) of rain each year. At times, it might go as high as 46' yearly. That means most ever day gets some rain as the churning Tasman sea air loaded with moisture hits these South Island mountains. By sharp contrast, just 25 miles away (across the mountains), Queenstown averages only 30 inches of rain annually. Big difference!!:

QueentownExcur1stA8_zps3e22c428.jpg

Here is a view of the main street in Arrowtown with lots of character and charm. Plus, many shops! High-quality ones!! Just the kind that my wife and others love. There were historic places for beers, cheese, etc., too! Not just clothing and jade/jewelry.:

QueentownExcurA43_zps2d91792c.jpg

Here is one of my visuals in connection with this steamship sailing leading to the dinner at the sheep station at the other end of this scenic lake near Queenstown during the two-day Solstice excursion. You will see lots of scenic mountains and areas during this sailing that is a key part of this evening fun. And, there was food!!:

QueentownExcurA24_zps2a4c81d5.jpg

Here is one my pictures from the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and its dramatic gorge nearby to Queenstown. It's a classy bridge design in a setting that is world-class. This bridge is narrow, being built way before cars and trucks had been invented and built. This is where bungee jumping started 26 years ago.:

QueentownExcurA17_zpsa21bfc30.jpg

Among the highlights in Dunedin was their rail station with its many special design touches. As our guide, John, explained, Dunedin was very rich at the time from its gold and other resources. Why did they make it so fancy? Because they could!! You can see some of the fancy tile work, a stained-glass window, etc., there. They do not build things like this these days. In this below picture, you can see our skilled guide John with some of the folks from our Central Ohio travel group outside in front of this landmark building.:

QueentownExcurA3_zpsd99d641b.jpg

cle-guy & Vulcan1971, I guess i haven't been spending enough time at the pool! I hadn't seen the sorbet being served for so many sailings, I thought that they discontinued it. Glad to see I was wrong. It is very refreshing when you sail the Caribbean & it's hot & humid!

I guess I can look at this from the same perspective as the OP. I just got home from my first Celebrity cruise after always having been on Royal Caribbean for my previous 13 trips.

While both somewhat similar, Celebrity does seem to have an edge towards the upscale. And attention to some of the smaller details seem to remain on Celebrity. Some examples:

1. Celebrity still offers welcome aboard champagne. Haven't seen that on Royal in several years.

2. Received chocolates at turndown one of the nights.

3. Food across the board was better on Celebrity to the point we didn't bother going to the specialty restaurants. Note that our cruise had waiter, assistant, wine steward and bar drink waiter (all four instead of three). All orders were taken promptly, delivered accurately with no extended wait. Buffet though, seemed to have less of a selection on Celebrity.

4. Celebrity still provides all the soap, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc. instead of the shower mounted bath gel pump.

5. Entertainment was better on Celebrity. Perhaps I haven't been on enough Celebrity cruises to be a good judge of this, but if I have to see that tired Boogie Nights show on Royal one more time :) The shows on Celebrity were very good as cruise shows go, something fresh and new to me. And the guest entertainers were also very good, aside from a boring start to the first night's show.

Things that weren't as good to me, but purely based on my preferences/judgement:

1. Cruise was a bit more sedate, but likely due to the older demographic of the passengers compare to the Royal cruises I've been on.

2. Could have a few more activities planned during port days. Ship was pretty dead when docked whereas Royal always seems to have at least one pool activity taking place to entertain those who remain on board. But then the cruise director and his activity staff do need a break, and they were very visible and active during prime times.

3. As others have mentioned, Celebrity didn't really enforce the formal night in the main dining room. Perhaps because it was a Caribbean sailing which are always more casual. We don't do formal when we're on vacation, so opted to eat in the buffet. The next night our waiter asked where we were and we explained we skipped since we weren't "in uniform". He said we should have come anyway, that it wouldn't have been a problem. So it's not really an issue for us, but if you're looking for the true formal night, it may not be there.

Finally, I'd have to say that the Celebrity crew/staff was probably one of the most friendly I've had on any cruise. Always a smile, greeting giving you the feeling they really did value having us on the ship.

Edited by OnTheBeach
spelling