Carnival walking away from EA Sports bar relationship

jimbo5544

After six ships, Carnival is walking away from the relationship with EA Sports. As noted for the Miracle FUN 2.0, they are adding a sports bar but not EA Sports. The will remove the EA Sports from the six ships that have it over time.

People love to pay for branded stuff, and some are die hard loyal fans to a brand, whether it's coffee, a sports team, or as we see here, a cruise line.

Even if the product is absolute junk, if it has "a brand" people will be glad to pay extra for it. That's the reasoning behind all these "partnerships" with various products, celebrities, etc. Get more buck for a product that isn't really that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We spent quite a bit of time in the EA sports bar on the Liberty on our last cruise. We were watching NCAA basketball in the evenings and had a lot of fun. We are Kentucky fans and really enjoyed the atmosphere as a few more Kentucky fans came in and watched the game at the bar with us.

Now, would we have done this without it being EA? Of course we would have. I don't really give a crap about the EA part. I did however love the layout of it with the multiple screens at the bar and the tabletops. It really was a fun place to be. But honestly Carnival should just focus on making a really great sports bar and listen to what people want vs. making some stupid brand.

I really feel like it's about the atmosphere and what it offers. We were on a Princess ship for the NCAA tournament the year Kentucky played in the Championship game and lost. I believe that was 2011. No sports bar, no venue to watch the game. It was crappy. They did have it on the Lido, I really think a sports bar would have been way more fun!

So I guess it's not "in the game?" How stupid though. They just paid to upgrade ships like the pride to then spend more money to re-do it? Fine if you want to discontinue moving forward....

Actually I think they are discontinuing going forward. There was no mention of removing it from existing ship other than it would be done "over time" (which I read into as a contractual thing).

After six ships, Carnival is walking away from the relationship with EA Sports. As noted for the Miracle FUN 2.0, they are adding a sports bar but not EA Sports. The will remove the EA Sports from the six ships that have it over time.

What is EA sports bar?

EA is a company that makes computer games. I have to assume that EA pays for the right to have their name at the Sports bar. You can play EA sports games on two large screen TV's in those bars. Carnival, most likely wanted more money to have that right. Typical Carnival.

I have been on several cruises with the EA sports bar. As an avid sports bar goer at home, I have two thoughts.

The EA brand itself was never a 'draw' for me. I just wanted a bar to go to that I could have a few beers and watch some sports. Unfortunately, these bars tend to be small on Carnival and often tucked away. When a major sporting event is on, they get SUPER packed, where you cant even get a seat. When nothing is going on, they are empty, because they usually arent in a high traffic area.

With that said, this past cruise, my buddies and I on a sea day, where looking for something to do, that was out of the sun for a bit and still entertaining. We went in and got an xbox controller and Tiger Woods golf. We had a blast playing and noticed the other xbox in use as well. All of that, could be accomplished without the EA partnership though.

I have been on several cruises with the EA sports bar. As an avid sports bar goer at home, I have two thoughts.

The EA brand itself was never a 'draw' for me. I just wanted a bar to go to that I could have a few beers and watch some sports. Unfortunately, these bars tend to be small on Carnival and often tucked away. When a major sporting event is on, they get SUPER packed, where you cant even get a seat. When nothing is going on, they are empty, because they usually arent in a high traffic area.

With that said, this past cruise, my buddies and I on a sea day, where looking for something to do, that was out of the sun for a bit and still entertaining. We went in and got an xbox controller and Tiger Woods golf. We had a blast playing and noticed the other xbox in use as well. All of that, could be accomplished without the EA partnership though.

Exactly my thought. Carnival doesn't need the relationship to be perfectly honest. They just need to focus on a great sports bar.

I love going on ships with a sports bar but I didn't care for the EA Sports Bar theme. If you enjoy sports trivia like I do they had it in the Sports Bar but you didn't play for a ship on a stick it was for a EA Sports package so if you missed one day you missed out for the whole week

::yawn::, that's about what i have to say about this. there were sports bars before the EA branding and they will remain after. i never saw this as a big deal or an 'upgrade' per se, except for the physical upgrades / renovations that i assume would have been done anyway during the 2.0 renovations (new TVs, freshened decor, etc.).

i assume this is the article which is being referenced fwiw:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Carnival-Cruise-Line-and-EA-Sports-parting-ways

Thanks for the info, jimbo. It wouldn't surprise me if Carnival discontinues its relationships with all of its branded venues--Guy's, EA, Lopez, etc.

I don't really see the value in having a brand name if Carnival can consistently provide quality products without it. I can only imagine too that these brand relationships tie Carnival's hands from certain cost-cutting efforts.

The electronic games on the tables were fun but no big deal. Never understood the fascination with this branded stuff anyway

I did not either. I can understand it for some things (Guy's Burger Bar and Punchliner's Comedy Club) but this lacked true value from my point of view.

Thanks for the info, jimbo. It wouldn't surprise me if Carnival discontinues its relationships with all of its branded venues--Guy's, EA, Lopez, etc.

I don't really see the value in having a brand name if Carnival can consistently provide quality products without it. I can only imagine too that these brand relationships tie Carnival's hands from certain cost-cutting efforts.

Oh no, I can see it now. Next thing they will be shutting down the Blue Iguana Bar and calling it the green gecko or something. Next thing you know, all the Blue Iguana's are out of work and there goes the economy.

Edited by HawkIVette

Oh no, I can see it now. Next thing they will be shutting down the Blue Iguana Bar and calling it the green gecko or something. Next thing you know, all the Blue Iguana's are out of work and there goes the economy.

One of my favorite posts yet on cruise critic! LOL,

I enjoyed the sports bar when i was on the glory. Grew up playing EA games. Whether its EA or just sports bar would be fine with me! Like the above poster mentioned, serving hotwings would be awesome. Brings back memories of being on NCLs EPIC hotwings anytime you want them.

So, Carnival is the official cruise line of the Dallas Cowboys. That doesn't seem to mean anything anywhere unless you're at the stadium for game day - Carnival people give stuff away.

Maybe we'll have a new NFL bar with lots of Cowboys stuff! LOL

So, Carnival is the official cruise line of the Dallas Cowboys. That doesn't seem to mean anything anywhere unless you're at the stadium for game day - Carnival people give stuff away.

Maybe we'll have a new NFL bar with lots of Cowboys stuff! LOL

i doubt it. i've thought that was about the dumbest 'relationship' they've ever forged, as they can't really market it given the fact that it would more likely than not actually alienate them from their very own demographics in the many home ports they sail from.

such a relationship sure didn't work out that well for a certain governor in an orange sweater recently. lol :rolleyes: