Guernsey on your own

It's all change in Guernsey this year for tenders arriving from the liners.

As a local the last few months have seen changes in how tenders will be handled at St Peter Port as the current situation is deemed unsafe. (As a local, enough said). Tenders will now land at the east end of the Albert Pier by Pier 17 restaurant giving quicker access into town, the bus station and closer to Castle Cornet. Not so handy for tour buses as they will be on the west side of the bus station, but still only a short walk away.

I have a Liner Blog for Guernsey, which is more ship orientated at http://guernseyliners.blogspot.com/ .

A lot of scenic areas of Guernsey, as well as points of interest, are within 1 hour's walk of where you will be coming ashore; La Vallette WWII Museum, Castle Cornet, Victor Hugo's House, East Coast Cliff paths, Candie Gardens. Guernsey Museum, and the high ground each side of town. The town itself is lovely and has much to offer.

The inter island connections to Herm and Sark are on the other side ( north side ) of the harbour.

Hope you enjoy your visit

Nigel & Lesley

Island of Guernsey

The Orchid fields should be at their best during your visit but don't expect great rafts of colour. The orchids are quite small but very beautiful and you can get up close using a path around the fields. If the weather has been wet then it may be rather soggy under foot.

The fields are a 5 minute walk from the west coast main road with a bus stop near the end of the road. The bus stop is half way between L'Eree Hotel and Fort Grey ( also known as the Cup and Saucer. )

Best wishes

Nigel and Lesley

Island of Guernsey

The Orchid fields should be at their best during your visit but don't expect great rafts of colour. The orchids are quite small but very beautiful and you can get up close using a path around the fields. If the weather has been wet then it may be rather soggy under foot.

The fields are a 5 minute walk from the west coast main road with a bus stop near the end of the road. The bus stop is half way between L'Eree Hotel and Fort Grey ( also known as the Cup and Saucer. )

Best wishes

Nigel and Lesley

Island of Guernsey

Thank you so very much! This information is very helpful. Now I just have to figure out the bus route/schedule!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to share my information. I went on this website listed below and reserved two electric bikes. They will deliver to the dock and the price is only 25 Euros for the entire day. I wanted to tour the island by cycle, but not be attached to a tour guide all day. I am super excited.

Dear Tammie

Thank you for your order, We can deliver the electric cycles to you at the port upon your arrival into Guernsey. We wait for you and hold a board with your name to ensure we are easy to locate.

We will then provide you with your cycles,maps and a small introduction of nice areas to visit.

The total price for 1 day hire for 2 electric cycles is £50, we accept cash or payment by card upon delivery.

We look forward to meeting you and wish you a safe journey to Guernsey.

We include free hire of locks, maps, guide booklets, helmets, and baskets on request if available.

Kind Regards,

Shane

Sarnia Cycle Hire

http://www.sarniacyclehire.co.uk

Tel: 07781456372

Guernsey

Channel Islands

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen the schedule for the bus route 91 & Bus 93, could anyone please guide me as to what the closest Bus station to the port is called?

Town terminus

Trinity Square

Fermain

Sausmarez Manor

Old Mill

St Martin’s Village

Airport forecourt

Les Landes

Torteval church

Pleinmont

Fort Grey

L’Eree

Out of the above mentioned bus stations which one is applicable to princess cruise passengers looking to take bus no. 91 or 93 in Guersey on Sunday, 10th MAy 2015?.. I am trying to plan what time we should arrive at the bus station so as to catch the bus before it becomes too full.

Thank you for your help

Nikki

Edited by prerna

Just to share my information. I went on this website listed below and reserved two electric bikes. They will deliver to the dock and the price is only 25 Euros for the entire day. I wanted to tour the island by cycle, but not be attached to a tour guide all day. I am super excited.

The total price for 1 day hire for 2 electric cycles is £50, we accept cash or payment by card upon delivery.

A minor point because I think it still very good value, but the price is in GBP (same as Guernsey pounds) not Euros. The Channel Islands are not in the Euro Zone, which is the reason you go there. It's a lovely place but the cruise ships only go to avoid having to charge VAT (sales tax @ 20%) on board.

Think about $38 each.

Edited by Bob++

I have seen the schedule for the bus route 91 & Bus 93, could anyone please guide me as to what the closest Bus station to the port is called?

Town terminus

Trinity Square

Fermain

Sausmarez Manor

Old Mill

St Martin’s Village

Airport forecourt

Les Landes

Torteval church

Pleinmont

Fort Grey

L’Eree

Out of the above mentioned bus stations which one is applicable to princess cruise passengers looking to take bus no. 91 or 93 in Guersey on Sunday, 10th MAy 2015?.. I am trying to plan what time we should arrive at the bus station so as to catch the bus before it becomes too full.

Thank you for your help

Nikki

The closest station is the town terminus. It is just across the road from where the tenders are now docking.

A minor point because I think it still very good value, but the price is in GBP (same as Guernsey pounds) not Euros. The Channel Islands are not in the Euro Zone, which is the reason you go there. It's a lovely place but the cruise ships only go to avoid having to charge VAT (sales tax @ 20%) on board.

Think about $38 each.

Guernsey Pounds are only good on the island. You can use British Pounds but if you get change in Guernsey pounds spend them there, as they are not good anywhere else.

The closest station is the town terminus. It is just across the road from where the tenders are now docking.

Where are the ship's tenders docking now ??

We will be there early June

Thank you

Lyn

nkgur, love your blog. You even have our ship listed from last year,

http://guernseyliners.blogspot.com/2014_08_01_archive.html

when we arrived having not been able to put into St. Helier.

Since this was our third time to Guernsey, we made reservations at the Victor Hugo House which we knew would be quite a walk, but we missed the street we should have gone up, and consequently were late for our tour and the next available one wasn't for two hours. I chose to wait, but hubby left to find a bar for a cool beer. Had I been able to find a taxi, I would rather have done that, but they are hard to find.

Edited by Steirisch

Also important top remember when you want to get back to St Peter Port, well actually it is obvious once you realise it, is that you will not find a bus displaying St. Peter Port as the destination.

All buses going to St Peter Port have TOWN as their destination.

Where are the ship's tenders docking now ??

We will be there early June

Thank you

Lyn

The tenders are now docking at the Albert Pier, which is much closer to the bus terminus, Castle Cornet and Victor Hugo's house, than the previous tender dock.

The tenders are now docking at the Albert Pier, which is much closer to the bus terminus, Castle Cornet and Victor Hugo's house, than the previous tender dock.

Forgive me for asking what might be a stupid question, but as a visiting yachtsman who has spent many hours sat on the waiting pontoons for access to Victoria Marina, and even though I am aware it has a slightly wider window of access, Albert Marina also has significant tidal limitations which make me wonder whether or not, despite the pier being outside the marina, there might also be a tidal issue with tender access to Albert Pier throughout the whole day.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Forgive me for asking what might be a stupid question, but as a visiting yachtsman who has spent many hours sat on the waiting pontoons for access to Victoria Marina, and even though I am aware it has a slightly wider window of access, Albert Marina also has significant tidal limitations which make me wonder whether or not, despite the pier being outside the marina, there might also be a tidal issue with tender access to Albert Pier throughout the whole day.

Us locals have been informed by the harbour authorities that the pontoon is of sufficient length off the end of the Albert Pier for the tenders to dock, even at low tide. Time will tell.

Us locals have been informed by the harbour authorities that the pontoon is of sufficient length off the end of the Albert Pier for the tenders to dock, even at low tide. Time will tell.

Bet they are going to have fun stopping the visiting yachts, particularly the French charter boats, from taking advantage of the fact that there is a pontoon with walk ashore access at low water. :eek:

Thank you

Sounds like a much better location ...just hope the seas co-operate the day we arrive ;)

Lyn

On my blog I've posted some images from the Oriana's visit last week so you can have some idea of what to expect when you arrive in St Peter Port, where today, Easter Monday, it is a warm, sunny day.

http://guernseyliners.blogspot.com/

Nigel

Thank you for the link, it's very interesting. We will be on Guernsey in June.:)

On my blog I've posted some images from the Oriana's visit last week so you can have some idea of what to expect when you arrive in St Peter Port, where today, Easter Monday, it is a warm, sunny day.

http://guernseyliners.blogspot.com/

Nigel

Thanks for the info

The location of the tender dock looks great ;)

Lyn

From the new tender dock location, would the walk to Victor Hugo's house be closer than from the old one? Anyone able to offer directions for us?

Thank you!

Yes, it will be much closer from this new tender dock. You cross the road, and look for cornet street and keep going up the hill, the museum will be on your left hand side. If you search on a certain "map" website, and input directions from Albert Pier, St Peter Port, Guernsey to Victor Hugo's House, St Peter Port, Guernsey, it should show you the route. It states 7 minutes walk, however please note this is mostly uphill, and make take a little while longer. If you are not sure on arrival, just ask a local, and I am sure they would be able to point you in the right direction. Enjoy.

Yes, it will be much closer from this new tender dock. You cross the road, and look for cornet street and keep going up the hill, the museum will be on your left hand side. If you search on a certain "map" website, and input directions from Albert Pier, St Peter Port, Guernsey to Victor Hugo's House, St Peter Port, Guernsey, it should show you the route. It states 7 minutes walk, however please note this is mostly uphill, and make take a little while longer. If you are not sure on arrival, just ask a local, and I am sure they would be able to point you in the right direction. Enjoy.

So glad to have you confirm that we will now be closer than the old dock!

I will check out the website now that you have provided specific details. Thanks for your help!

You can also just rent a car and drive yourself to all of these places (or whatever takes your fancy). Many car rental companies are very used to doing this for cruise ship passengers who are calling for the day, and make the process very easy.

Globaliser I've been trying to find a company who will deliver a car to the pier for us but with no success, so which car rentals do you know of which do this?

Or has anybody else out there managed to get a good deal?