Alaskan Crab Shacking off the Ship :)

Dobermangal

Hi all, happy Monday!

Just got confirmation from the powers that be at my work that our planned 14 day B2B Alaska out of Vancouver on the Zaandam May 17-31 is a go :) (and I've just opened the roll calls too lol)

Now I was wondering if I could get some input on good crab eating opportunities in any or all of the following ... Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Anchorage.

We were on an Alaska cruise four years ago and a few people we met were eagerly waiting to eat at a crab place in one of the ports but I can't remember where it was or the name. I'm hungry already!

Thanks for all and any replies!

Carla in Vancouver

We were on an Alaska cruise four years ago and a few people we met were eagerly waiting to eat at a crab place in one of the ports but I can't remember where it was or the name. I'm hungry already!

Probably Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Be prepared though -- you are spoiled with Dungeness where you live ;)

Probably Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Be prepared though -- you are spoiled with Dungeness where you live ;)

Yep. .that's it, Tracy's King Crab Shack near the port in Juneau.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tracys-king-crab-shack-juneau-3

FANTASTIC, tho not cheap.

(also very good in Juneau is the restaurant at the top of the trolly. . .but again, very expensive. But all the food there was good, if not very upscale)

Edited by bert425

If you are departing from or ending in Vancouver, there's an alternative to boil and butter. Many of the premium Chinese restaurants offer King crab in 3 to 5 flavours. Green onion and garlic, ginger 'n garlic, Deep fried, baked Alaskan or all of the above AT THE SAME TIME with the same crab. Call ahead for reservations and ensure they have a live crab in the aquarium to avoid dissappointment.

Best done if your party is 6 to10 in size ensure the entire crab is consumed.

Edited by xlxo

As you have seen on TV, King crab catching season is winter. It is then frozen just like the ones in our stores. I was very surprised at the price. We thought there might be a seafood store for locals for a cheaper crab. No.

The ambiance is good though in Juneau. Most residents go out and fish for their supper.

It is like the people in Hawaii and canned pineapple. They have to wait for it to be canned on the mainland and shipped back.

Common misconception about Alaska. Crab is frozen and just as expensive in Ak. as it is wherever you are from:eek:. Also you will not see salmon leaping up waterfalls in every river all summer long. Before you go do your homework and learn about this great state. We have made numerous trips over the years and always feel as tho I am coming home. Headed back again in August can't get enough of that saltwater fishing.:D

An excellent restaurant for Dungeness and King and Snow Crab can be found in Ketchikan. It is called "Crab Cracker Seafood Bar". They also serve yummy white clam chowder with REAL bacon. When standing on the dock facing the city, it is in the extreme right hand building at the end of the pier. I have eaten there twice and plan to do so again this September. Google them and see their menu.:D:):D

Edited by solocanadian

It is like the people in Hawaii and canned pineapple. They have to wait for it to be canned on the mainland and shipped back.

TRUE! When I was in college, I worked during the summers at Dole Cannery in Honolulu but with pineapple plantations and cheap labor in the Philippines and other Asian countries, Hawaiian pineapple was priced out of the market even though Hawaiian pineapples were superior in taste.

There are a few places in Hawaii that grow pineapples and are available - and once you eat fresh Hawaiian pineapples, you don't buy the can stuff.

I think the only market for canned pineapple in Hawaii is used mostly for baking or in Chinese restaurants on their almond float desserts.