Riedel Comparative Wine Workshop?

soxfan2013

They are delicate Abd easily crack/break.

Yes they are fine crystal so goes without saying they are fragile. Part of the science of the Riedel glasses is the thin rim...the more expensive range are even thinner,,,,which again allows the wine to travel easier from glass to your palate.

If you want robust everyday wine glasses, then Riedels are not what you want !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

Bahahaha!!!

When we did the session, they served a selection of Mondavi wines. I liked how we tasted each wine from a joker glass (standard restaurant wine glass) before trying in each specific glass. Fascinating to learn the science behind the glassware so the different wine styles hit the correct part of your palate for ultimate taste. Even the length of the stem is important to ensue you lift your head up high enough to exhale the bouquet, which also enhances the enjoyment of taking the wine. Was an awesome experience!!

I had a disagreement with my Father regarding this. He claimed there was no difference between a plastic cup and a good wine glass:eek:. I told him that with the Manischewitz he was drinking, there probably was no difference :rolleyes:. True story.

I had a disagreement with my Father regarding this. He claimed there was no difference between a plastic cup and a good wine glass:eek:. I told him that with the Manischewitz he was drinking, there probably was no difference :rolleyes:. True story.

LOL, yes let's not forget the calibre of what is in the glass is also important haha!!

Although our sommelier on a Solstice even said you could blind test each glass with water and it would taste better than out of the joker glass (plastic cup!!). I haven't tried that yet but will report back if I do [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for my morning laugh! :D

I'm hoping that whoever said the workshop was only $15 was accurate.

We have plenty of Reidel glasses at home but the tasting might be fun.

vinum series are machine made

the good stuff are the somelier series - hand made

easy to see the difference: riedel in bold letters = vinum

riedel in writing letters - somelier

I was in a wine shoppe and they had Reidel glasses for $5.00. I asked how they could be so cheap and was told that they are bar class.

We had a discussion about glasses and wine and asked if different types of wine were supposed be served in different styles like Reidel suggest than why does wine judging use the same type glass for every wine? He said because it is a gimmick and marketing by Reidel and they don't want the glass to affect the taste of wine during judging. Therefore would a wine that gets the best rating in a tasting glass taste better or worse in a proper glass according to Reidel than one that had a lower ranking?

So what makes the wine taste better or worse. Isn't it just a personal opinion on what tastes best to you?

happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

• 3 months later...
Thanks for my morning laugh! :D

I'm hoping that whoever said the workshop was only $15 was accurate.

We have plenty of Reidel glasses at home but the tasting might be fun.

It was $16.50 for the class only on the Reflection 3 months ago. It still wowed us the second time around!

If you attend the Reidel workshop, do you still get to enjoy wine in the MDR served in Reidel stemware? If so, do you simply notify your Sommelier that you've purchased the workshop?

I haven't tried to get Riedel glasses in the MDR. We did ask the Blu sommelier for Riedel, if she had them, and she saved a couple of them for us each night (we did get some nice wines at times, but were not big spenders). She did have a limited number of the Riedel glasses because she had to refuse the people next to us when they asked after we talked them into using Riedel, saying she only had a few of them in Blu and all were in use.

We love dining in Murano where they use Riedel - always enjoy the wine service there.

We did this in March on the Eclipse. It was great!!! We were the only two people that signed up for the workshop so we had a private tasting. Learned a lot, had some great and expensive wines. The difference in taste from glass to glass was amazing. Really nice having the individualized attention. We would totally do it again, but nothing will beat our private tasting.

You do get 4 machine made glasses. You can tell hand made glasses because the Reidel name is etched into the glass on handmade glasses. Rub your finger on the underside of the base and you can feel it.

We did this in March on the Eclipse. It was great!!! We were the only two people that signed up for the workshop so we had a private tasting. Learned a lot, had some great and expensive wines. The difference in taste from glass to glass was amazing. Really nice having the individualized attention. We would totally do it again, but nothing will beat our private tasting.

You do get 4 machine made glasses. You can tell hand made glasses because the Reidel name is etched into the glass on handmade glasses. Rub your finger on the underside of the base and you can feel it.

I am interested in going again but had forgotten the series of machine blown glasses that came with the tasting? Could you please possibly post the name of the ones you received? Were they Vinum? I think that the "Somelliers" series is the only one that is mouth blown.

Manischewitz is actually improved by drinking in a container with a hole in it so the wine drains out prior to your sip.

Does each person that pays/participates get a set of four glasses?

When we did this on Century last summer, they gave us additional coupons for the wine glass tasting set, if we wanted them. Thus, my wife and I each took two coupons. We elected to take the coupons and have Riedel ship the glasses to us, which did cost $20 per set, but we got a total of four tasting glass assortments, two additional sets, for a total of only $40 more.

We received the Vinum series glasses. It is a box with 4 different glasses. We really enjoyed it and are looking to attend on our next sailing.[/quote

We did the same. Checked prices for the glasses on-line before we left and felt we got a good deal. Plus, it was fun.:)

I just checked Amazon and the sommelier grade mouth-blown Riedel glasses are about $125 EACH. Yikes! Would there really be that much of a difference on those??

The sets from Celebrity are a good deal on the Vinum series. Think we'll be doing this tasting. We have a good amount of OBC on our next cruise even after upgrading to premium.