Alaska Cruisin'

janikh

Searching for the perfect Alaska cruise for 4 YOUNG 65 year olds. Best ship for food, service, things to do onboard at night. Celebrity, Princess, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean? We have sailed on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean & Carnival previously, but all have been Caribbean cruises, so the atmosphere & activities are different from Alaska. Since there won't be any swimming pool time on the cruise, we need to have fun things to do. And we like to do late dinner & then roam the ship after for entertainment. Suggestions? Thanks!

My suggestion would be to read on the Alaska board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I don't think the "personality" of a cruise line changes when the ship moves from the Caribbean to Alaska. Just the scenery.

I wouldn't rule out swimming pools. You just need to go on a ship with a closing roof over the pool. There are many of them.

Searching for the perfect Alaska cruise for 4 YOUNG 65 year olds. Best ship for food, service, things to do onboard at night. Celebrity, Princess, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean? We have sailed on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean & Carnival previously, but all have been Caribbean cruises, so the atmosphere & activities are different from Alaska. Since there won't be any swimming pool time on the cruise, we need to have fun things to do. And we like to do late dinner & then roam the ship after for entertainment. Suggestions? Thanks!

Celebrity, Princess, RCI, Carnival and HAL have covered pools on their Alaskan cruises....at least, most of their ships in that region do. I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the NCL ships have a covered pool.

For nightlife, I think you'll be happy on all them, except maybe Holland America.

Food & Service: Oceania Regatta. Night activities limited primarily to piano bar and not too extravagant live performances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are totally missing the point of doing an AK cruise. In Alaska, the ship itself is the last thing that you should consider when picking a cruise. The important things are itinerary, times in port, and port arrival / departure times. Then all other things being equal, you worry about which ship to take.

DON

You are totally missing the point of doing an AK cruise. In Alaska, the ship itself is the last thing that you should consider when picking a cruise. The important things are itinerary, times in port, and port arrival / departure times. Then all other things being equal, you worry about which ship to take.

DON

Maybe. It depends on what is important to the OP. It may be that they want the ship journey experience more than the destinations.

We've done Alaska and, although it is drop dead beautiful, there was nothing new for us other than seeing glacier calving at the Hubbard (really the main draw for us). Being from Northern California, we've got pretty much everything Alaska does: Pacific Ocean, whales, mountains, salmon, gold, quaint towns (full of tourists), bears, native history, alpine lakes, etc. So, for us and some others in locations with equally endless natural beauty, ship choice (including food and service quality) may move up to the top of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DON

I agree with donaldsc.

Not only will you have pool time in Alaska but one of our favorite parts was sitting in the hot tub while passing glaciers.

Any of the lines you mentioned will be fine for what you are looking for. Be sure the ship has a covered pool.

Thanks for the feedback! We generally leave the ship as soon as it docks, & come back close to leaving time. We usually book our excursions from the "Ports of Call" information we get here. But once we get onboard, we want good service, good food, and good entertainment. We want a NICE ship, and fun things for at sea days.