Serenade of the Seas - 300+ staterooms cancelled

We are on the ship in a G.S. Boarding was a mess. Four hours in line. The initial damaged room list was for 299 cabins and later increased by 118 cabins for a total of 417 cabins or approximately 900 passengers that were not allowed to board. The ship has not been allowed to sail and will stay in port overnight. The staff has indicated that the entire cruise may be cancelled if repairs cannot be made to the Coast Guard's approval by morning.

Oh, dear God that freaking SUCKS.

They offered us a refund and a cruise for the equivalent amount. Those who flew in got a night's stay in NO. I think that's more than sufficient.

We are on the ship in a G.S. Boarding was a mess. Four hours in line. The initial damaged room list was for 299 cabins and later increased by 118 cabins for a total of 417 cabins or approximately 900 passengers that were not allowed to board. The ship has not been allowed to sail and will stay in port overnight. The staff has indicated that the entire cruise may be cancelled if repairs cannot be made to the Coast Guard's approval by morning.

So I wonder where the Norwegian Dawn will dock in the morning?

I am so sorry that this has happened and disrupted so many people's vacation plans. We just got off the Serenade last Saturday. I can't imagine how sad I would have been to have missed out on our cruise!

Edited by mrsshmthaus

So I wonder where the Norwegian Dawn will dock in the morning?

I am so sorry that this has happened and disrupted so many people's vacation plans. We just got off the Serenade last Saturday. I can't imagine how sad I would have been to have missed out on our cruise!

Serenade can move to the other dock ( I can't remember what it is called. Cruise ships normally don't dock there). Norwegian Dawn will dock at Julia. Carnival Dream will dock at Erato.

Wow, that is terrible news. I'm so sorry to hear this.

I've been very lucky with cruises so far. Only one missed port out of 15 cruises and no late departures/arrivals. I hope my luck continues this year as I'm sailing on the Serenade TWICE :eek:

I sure hope all the affected passengers are well taken care of, and that the ship sails tomorrow as they hope. Better safe than sorry though, and electrical problems shouldn't be taken lightly (as some who've sailed on Carnival can attest to :p )

We were on board when the incident happened. The TV lost signal, and we went in the hallway to see it was dark. Headed to dinner and when we returned the hallway and room had no power. But they left us one glow stick. They said the outage was in fire zone 2. When we awoke in NOLA this am all the power In the hallway and theater were still out. What a mess.

Was also on the SOS and got off this morning. While we never felt in danger, it was an inconvenience. My room was not affected except for no TV power, but those rooms affected had no lights, power and ventilation. It does make me feel I need to listen more seriously to the muster drill and presentation,. The emergency floor lights were kept on all night. It was a very extreme night for those in an inside room, where I heard they had to leave their doors open all night for air, those with balconies got to sleep on the chairs on their balcony. The Captain came on during dinner around 7:30 saying their was a power problem, but nothing to be scared about. They then canceled the show in the theater and relocated it to another lounge in the rear of the ship, and finally the captain came on the speakers around 10:00 pm saying the problem was more than anticipated and they were doing their best to get the situation under control. The scariest part was seeing the Bridge officers operating with flashlights navigating the ship. All in all, it was an inconvenience, but glad there was never any real danger, but makes you understand their safety precautions and should not take them lightly..

You know, I teared up a little bit, felt defeated. But we only had about a 6 hr drive. There are people who flew in from like halfway across the world I'm sure. Plus, the people who were fortunate enough to board, got on about 6 hours late. And there's no telling how much of the ship will remain affected. We ran into a singer who said the theater is in the area where the power outage occurred.

We've been planning this cruise since last summer, and of course the reimbursement won't happen for up to 3 weeks and the cruise voucher for up to 8 weeks, but that's better than what I was expecting. I thought we'd get one or the other.

Only 8 wks? My husband has to request time off 6 months to a year before... Wow.

oh, to the comment about still selling yesterday, the issue didn't occur till last night.

Oh, dear God that freaking SUCKS.

They offered us a refund and a cruise for the equivalent amount. Those who flew in got a night's stay in NO. I think that's more than sufficient.

What about the lost vacation time?

Only 8 wks? My husband has to request time off 6 months to a year before... Wow.

oh, to the comment about still selling yesterday, the issue didn't occur till last night.

I think it was eight weeks until they get the voucher. Not that the voucher is good for only the next eight weeks.

We left the port at a little after 4:00a.m. And are moving down the river. Hopefully this is a good sign. The refund letter they gave the hundreds of displaced guests called for a refund of their cruise, one free hotel night, and $150 for airfare. However, after finding rooms for the first couple of hundred, they told the rest that the entire N.O. area was sold out and they would have to fend for themselves and find their own rooms. Also, have you ever tried to change to a next day airfare for $150? Not likely.

We left the port at a little after 4:00a.m. And are moving down the river. Hopefully this is a good sign. The refund letter they gave the hundreds of displaced guests called for a refund of their cruise, one free hotel night, and $150 for airfare. However, after finding rooms for the first couple of hundred, they told the rest that the entire N.O. area was sold out and they would have to fend for themselves and find their own rooms. Also, have you ever tried to change to a next day airfare for $150? Not likely.

$150?? Wow. That is ridiculous. You can't change air for $150.

Edited by cruiser fanatic