Serenade of the Seas - 300+ staterooms cancelled

according to another thread (the poster is on board)the ship is sailing at noon. Stopping at all ports just in reverse order.

Yes the Captain announced that just a little bit ago but I had to leave the cabin while it was being cleaned so I'm behind on my updates lol. Great news, we're going to sail after all!

I've seen approximately 20 people get off the boat with full luggage in the last 30 minutes or so.

SOS%25205.jpg

That's a little odd since they've announced the ship is sailing at noon.:confused: I wonder if they were in cabins that were later found to have problems after they boarded?

I've seen approximately 20 people get off the boat with full luggage in the last 30 minutes or so.

SOS%25205.jpg

Might be people that are afraid to sail after the issues. Working at an airline I saw this quite a bit when the aircraft had maintenance issues. Usually the people would sit there, until the plane was about to leave (after everything was fixed) and then decide they felt unsafe. One time we were second in line for take off at the end of the runway and a whole group demanded to be let off.

Oh thank God! Sorry I missed this post. Thank you for the update. At least our CC friends will get to go! Honestly, I'm still really sad. This was supposed to be a re-do of our honeymoon because THAT cruise sucked. :-/

I am sooo sorry about both occasions.

Kathy

I don't expect Royal to give ME information...I'm not there and not on the cruise! Saying that they're withholding information is just silly. Those affected KNOW what's going on....well, sort of. LOL. For those on future cruises, the cruise line doesn't KNOW yet about them...they don't even know about THIS sailing... so what are they going to tell us? Your cruise may or may not be affected? It just seems silly.

It is unfortunate, and inconvenient. But, machines break! They didn't do it on purpose. I'm sure Royal didn't want to refund money and give out free cruises! Disappointing...YES. But, they didn't want to ruin anyone's vacation time or experience. Honestly!

Peter

Anybody know if they could open their doors with their room keys in the affected area? Are you talking about all decks in that forward section?

We were in 7010. No problem with room key. As far as I know, the elevators were not compromised. Anyone with more information on that?

Kathy

I don't expect Royal to give ME information...I'm not there and not on the cruise! Saying that they're withholding information is just silly. Those affected KNOW what's going on....well, sort of. LOL. For those on future cruises, the cruise line doesn't KNOW yet about them...they don't even know about THIS sailing... so what are they going to tell us? Your cruise may or may not be affected? It just seems silly.

It is unfortunate, and inconvenient. But, machines break! They didn't do it on purpose. I'm sure Royal didn't want to refund money and give out free cruises! Disappointing...YES. But, they didn't want to ruin anyone's vacation time or experience. Honestly!

Peter

Peter,

I don't think anyone suggested that RCI "broke their machine on purpose". Please take a breath and relax.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Peter

It is unfortunate, but you're right, things do happen. We were in the theatre when the lights went out and they evacuated us for fear that water may leak into the theatre and they wanted to make sure we were all safe.

They did a fabulous job with keeping us informed and also making sure that we knew that nothing that was imperative to ship operation was affected. Fortunately, we were not one of the cabins affected by the power outage, but one of the couples we were traveling with didn't have power and they said it was all handled very well. They also said that they didn't sleep at all the last night because they could hear them working the entire night. We saw them brining on a lot of equipment on Saturday and more crew to help fix the situation.

I'm not sure what people expect. This happened at 7:00 pm on Friday and they were working to get it fixed. There was no way for them to know that it would take as long as it did or how extensive the situation was.

I understand people are upset and I know that if I were on this sailing I would be disappointed, but from what I've heard of how Royal is handling the situation it is the best that they can do and I would be happy with the compensation they are providing.

we were also affected but gave our bags to a porter before lists of no-sail rooms were given to porters...

after finding we were on the no-sail list we had to wait about 3 hours to get our bags back.

there was little information and it wasn't presented publicly or in a clear and consistant manner

this would have been our 2nd cruise, our first with rci so I'm going to give rci another chance, but not this ship or this class. I'm hoping our voucher will be good on all rci cruises since splendor is leaving nola and we can cruise out of Galveston.

From what I've read, the event happened the last night as the ship approached NO, and that the situation was VERY fluid.

To me, it's hard to be clear with the customers when you don't even know what is going on 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is no excuse for not providing information.

Peter

They provide the information that they have and they explain what they do and do not know. They also provide timely updates. Remaining silent just creates room for rumors and miss information.

That is no excuse for not providing information.

The lack of information is a very good reason that it's not provided.

Better to give correct info late than wrong info quickly. Unless you like a lot of rumors.

The lack of information is a very good reason that it's not provided.

Better to give correct info late than wrong info quickly. Unless you like a lot of rumors.

I didn't suggest giving wrong information. Say what you know. Don't say what you don't know.

I was also in the theater when this problem occurred. They originally announced that they hoped to have the problem corrected very shortly, after about 10 minutes we were ask to leave the theater because of the water line breakage above us and to prevent any injuries. RC did an excellent job of keeping everything under control. I am just very thankful that no one was injured.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I thought that would happen. We were just so tired though. I'm just glad I kept my emotions in check and didn't full on bawl the entire time. Hubby was angry but remained upbeat which helped a lot.

Thanks for providing the info on the cabin areas affected, Tanikwish. We are sailing on the Serenade 4/4/15 (2nd time on Serenade-we love her!) so I was wondering what area was affected. We are in cabin 4590, which is aft on the starboard side so sounds like that area was not affected.

Sorry for your misfortune. Honestly, I would have rather had my cruise cancelled than spend the first day sitting in port. However, we are only a short drive away from NOLA and both retired so it wouldn't have affected us as much as many others. BTW- I see you are in Tuscaloosa, AL. I am from T-town as well, now living in Florida. Roll Tide!

Me too. :o I'd split mine into multiple columns but it would probably only use up one line!

My hope is to get a whole page of my own. So when i post my signature you need to go to the next page cause i filled up one.

I'm sorry i was kind of advertising I love cruising and this web site. I don't always put my signature. When i give an opinion or info I just want the reader to know it's not my first rodeo. For example the posts going back and forth about Carnival and RCI with their communications with customers. If you've only cruised on Carnival (as one poster had done) don't write that RCI -- in your opinion --- doesn't communicate. How would you know since you don't have experience with other cruise lines.

When i posted they're all the same, when it comes to telling the customer what's going on, you see my signature you can say well maybe he knows what he's talking about since he's been on ALL of them and multiple times. Didn't mean to go on and on and on....

Peter

I wouldn't say those affected know what's going on. My parents were among those displaced and they have been very disappointed in the communication from the cruise line. They are booked on back to back cruises, this one and next week and haven't heard much. They were in the group that got denied boarding and were literally left on the pier, no assistance with hotel etc.

They finally got in touch with someone on the phone, but they didn't know much either. They offered to go to one of the other ships, either Galveston or Ft Lauderdale but because they were booked on back to backs, RCCL wouldn't let them change the second cruise. Sounds like the person on the phone didn't have the training or authority to make changes.

You are correct machines break, it happens. The biggest issue is the lack of communication.