Crown MDR Tips and Advice...?

Cruiser Bruiser

I recently sailed a 3 day cruise on the Crown and you're correct about the dining rooms & they have the same menu but open times do not vary. The only difference is that Da Vinci is also traditional for the 1st seating & is open for AT dining from 7:30-9:30.

There was no formal night but on the 2nd evening it was "dress to impress" which maybe is a way for those who like to dress formally to all do it on the same night. On that night they had their 50th Anniversary dinner but the Crown Grill appealed to us more. Here's a link to that menu & in addition the "always available" options are offered (salmon, beef, chicken).

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/50th-anniversary/50th-Anniversary-Menu.pdf

Wondering if the Chef's table is on the 3 days cruise Going this Friday.

Wondering if the Chef's table is on the 3 days cruise Going this Friday.

Checking the Patters from our cruise (1/6 to 1/9) it was not advertised so like other things such as no Captain's Circle party (preferred the drink voucher) & no most travelled event (free specialty dinner instead), the CT is apparently not offered.

If only choosing one specialty restaurant the CG is our 1st choice. To me Sabatini's entrees are not as good but enjoy their other courses. In the CG we get a filet mignon & lobster tails and instead of the 1st courses my wife who enjoys mussels has that entree also. Our favorite dessert is the sampler with smaller portions of each dessert.

Astro Flyer and I disagree on this one. We were on the Crown last week for 3 days. We did Crown Grill / Sabatini's / Crown Grill and did not go to the MDR at all, so we did not even know about the 50th anniversary menu. We had a party of 8 and did not want to wait for Anytime, or be saddled with late or early seating (just personal preference). Our meal at Sabatini's was better than either of our meals at the CG. But our CG meals were also good. If you can swing it, I would experience both!

But as others have said, make your decisions ASAP and call the DINE line immediately upon boarding. Both were booked for all 3 nights very quickly.

Astro Flyer and I disagree on this one. We were on the Crown last week for 3 days. We did Crown Grill / Sabatini's / Crown Grill and did not go to the MDR at all, so we did not even know about the 50th anniversary menu. We had a party of 8 and did not want to wait for Anytime, or be saddled with late or early seating (just personal preference). Our meal at Sabatini's was better than either of our meals at the CG. But our CG meals were also good. If you can swing it, I would experience both!

But as others have said, make your decisions ASAP and call the DINE line immediately upon boarding. Both were booked for all 3 nights very quickly.

We have some OBC to burn, so this might be a great option. Thanks for the advice.

Just disembarked the Crown this morning from a 4-day cruise. I'll post my observations later but in response to this thread, we were shocked that the Crown Grill was 100% booked for the entire cruise by 3pm embarkation day.

That happened on a short cruise I was on, as well.

Also, same problem on New Year's eve cruise.

But, I constantly read here -- no problem making a reservation...

Princess sold a lot of cruises that include a bottle of wine and "free" specialty dinner for two. It's no wonder the venues are sold out every night.

We sail Monday and the very first thing I plan to do when we board is to call the DINE line and try to get a table in Crown Grill for that night. Hopefully it will work out.

Princess sold a lot of cruises that include a bottle of wine and "free" specialty dinner for two. It's no wonder the venues are sold out every night.

We sail Monday and the very first thing I plan to do when we board is to call the DINE line and try to get a table in Crown Grill for that night. Hopefully it will work out.

That's what we did recently on the Crown (3 day) & we successfully booked Sabatini's for the 1st night & Crown Grill on the 2nd (both at 6:00). Hopefully you'll be successful & besides the free specialty dinner promotion I think full suite passengers get it on the 1st night & they have priority as one of their benefits.

Norwegian ships have a centralized restaurant reservation desk, usually adjacent to the guest services desk. Does Princess have something similar, or does it have to be a phone call? I like to do these kinds of things face to face.

Norwegian ships have a centralized restaurant reservation desk, usually adjacent to the guest services desk. Does Princess have something similar, or does it have to be a phone call? I like to do these kinds of things face to face.

Push the DINE line button on the phone or on embarkation day a reservation table is usually available at the Crown Grill or Sabatini's.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just disembarked the Crown this morning from a 4-day cruise. I'll post my observations later but in response to this thread, we were shocked that the Crown Grill was 100% booked for the entire cruise by 3pm embarkation day. Haven't seen that before. My recommendation is to book as soon as you board.

The embarkation day Patter said that we would have a formal night our third night, at sea, on our way to Ensenada. In reality, there was a "dress to impress" the 2nd night along with the 50th Anniversary menu. The third night was smart casual. We never had a formal night in spite of what the Patter said.

Pan we took that cruise a year ago. They told us from the beginning that there would be no formal night. So we did not even take dress up clothes of any type. I don't mind doing it, but it was not necessary.

Pan we took that cruise a year ago. They told us from the beginning that there would be no formal night. So we did not even take dress up clothes of any type. I don't mind doing it, but it was not necessary.
I took the same (almost: Catalina instead of Santa Barbara) a year ago and there was no formal night. I didn't pack anything. When my tablemates teased me that they were sure I'd pull something together, even if it meant buying clothes from the shop, I assured them that I had absolutely no intention of dressing formally. I always wear something nice with jewelry but I wasn't about to pack or buy formal/semi-formal clothes. They'll be in my suitcase in a couple of weeks but weren't for my 4-day cruise.

• 2 weeks later...