Are we mad???

hobbsie65

We are going on a Celebrity cruise from Sydney to NZ in November & really want to see Queenstown. Our flight home is already booked but i am trying to figure out if we can go down for 1 night after the cruise. There is an air NZ flight at 12.05 (midday) on the day we arrive in AKL from the cruise & a flight at 17.30 the next day back up to AKL - our flight home is at 13.00 the next day so we will stay in the AKL airport area that night.Is this enough time to get a 'taste' of Queenstown? Many thanks.

We are going on a Celebrity cruise from Sydney to NZ in November & really want to see Queenstown. Our flight home is already booked but i am trying to figure out if we can go down for 1 night after the cruise. There is an air NZ flight at 12.05 (midday) on the day we arrive in AKL from the cruise & a flight at 17.30 the next day back up to AKL - our flight home is at 13.00 the next day so we will stay in the AKL airport area that night.Is this enough time to get a 'taste' of Queenstown? Many thanks.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............. click on this link - that should tell you https://www.google.com.au/maps/vt/data=U4aSnIyhBFNIJ3A8fCzUmaVIwyWq6RtIfB4QKiGq_w,zP2XHCAEcesQHvo0-Q5qIVqikRranS3mogKg6X96ExRDwnSfmKOqDyF3Q6m8c0MNNngnEvlRuaej4r9Xs_S2y7AtFDTaKRbqnRrcdhvx6eekJzLZ30OmVK9Rs_SC5Q79GolwxUJqKr-A9bpYP9_SYiRlQg,rIheh1zB-S9Z6xAfckOYE8cu8OhvzqvxulR8XqcQgn0iIxm-5f7H7HK0w3XXp8r3KQMSSK2mQHHRk65n4TmiZBA1bBtVdi_tVCGp9IP09H3gvnvhyZOP1f82iDjUBHQ3jY2N6hiQbsuvbfx3xGZJenVd7Kb8qqthaoXmkuYlftEVVvBC27sTlY6b430CfjVYlO_Uet3YIujiW2jIOx1UwVbvQPuB8_bH6toF_91VLola8Zh2SA71RUGNoGXhYLKghyYhlPelfsXQSkTvQgYOV6sURX95a5C6RC1G9KcJblqw3F0A48nww4GTwrQ-zfpJLNeEbwYjiNDaX6WOlTcmDZniAXEf0Wz8EV_IfJY6FHEF4jWLBXWU3g&h=200&w=557&scale=1

21 + hours driving - or 1558.2 kms distance one way - then the RETURN. (968.22 miles each way) :eek: I'm not a Kiwi - but in Aus - we would say - no - that distance is not doable in your time frame. Or I may be misreading your posting - are you flying down to Queenstown from AKL and then returning back from Queenstown to AKL the next day? If so....... I may have jumped in a bit quick :p

Edited by dizzy1948

... i am trying to figure out if we can go down for 1 night after the cruise. There is an air NZ flight at 12.05 (midday) on the day we arrive in AKL from the cruise & a flight at 17.30 the next day back up to AKL - our flight home is at 13.00 the next day so we will stay in the AKL airport area that night.
Sorry - yes we will fly down which is about a 2 hour flight so hopefully we will get there at 14.00 & have to be at the airport 16.00 the next day.
I'm a bit confused about all your days. The best that I can work out is that your plan is as follows:-

14 November

Disembark ship.

Fly to Queenstown at 1205, arrive 1355.

Stay overnight in Queenstown.

15 November

Fly via Christchurch to Auckland at 1730, arrive ?2010.

Stay overnight at Auckland airport.

16 November

Fly home at 1300.

If that's right, then it's certainly feasible. You would definitely get a taste of Queenstown, but you'd have to be quite disciplined about making sure that you got to wherever you wanted to see. Remember that some of Queenstown's better known sights are actually out of town (eg the Kawarau bungy jump location and Arrowtown), and some require an investment of time (eg taking a trip on Earnslaw).

On a quick look, though, it seems that it isn't possible safely to fly back from Queenstown to Auckland on 16 November in time for a 1300 flight out.

That is spot on - I also looked at flights on the 16th & did not find anything to get us back on time & I also wanted to make sure we are back for our 13.00 flight on the 16th.

There is also a 10.15am flight from Akl to Queenstown - do you think that is possible or a little early after disembarking.

There is also a 10.15am flight from Akl to Queenstown - do you think that is possible or a little early after disembarking.
Personally, I wouldn't do this. Too much scope for something to go wrong.

Instead, one of the things that I'd consider doing with the extra two hours that morning is to store your luggage at Auckland airport (or the hotel you're staying in on the following night) so that you can take the absolute bare minimum with you to Queenstown. That would enable you to sightsee all day on 15 November and then get back to Queenstown airport without having to stop anywhere to pick up your luggage. That could save you some precious sightseeing time that day.

I can recommend the Jet Park Hotel at Auckland Airport. It has a free shuttle to and from AKL There's also the Novotel AT the airport - walkable from both domestic and international terminals.

Many thanks - I will check those out

Do Celebrity offer the overnight excursion from Milford Sound to Queenstown and then rejoin the ship in Dunedin?

I know the tour is expensive but it may be a lot cheaper and more convenient to do the ships tour rather than flying all the way back.

Do Celebrity offer the overnight excursion from Milford Sound to Queenstown and then rejoin the ship in Dunedin?

I know the tour is expensive but it may be a lot cheaper and more convenient to do the ships tour rather than flying all the way back.

Heya Kiwi, hope you enjoy your Cunard trip this year....I think you are doing the states back to nz or the other way round?

I don't think you'll find that there would be an overnight from Milford Sound to Queenstown, the Sounds are just cruisebys, nowhere to berth and disembark passengers.

I think the trip would be a bit rushed personally, its only a 40 minute drive from the port of auckland to the airport, but factoring in getting off the ship, finding your luggage, taxi, checking to that airport etc could be cutting it a bit fine. And thats not factoring in any delays such as an accident on the motorway or the ship being delayed into port etc... But it is certainly doable if you have steel resolve.

Edited by roscoe39

Celebrity do offer an overnight trip but it is $1200 for both of us & we will miss a day & night onboard cruising the fiords. The flights are $200 each at the moment so a big difference in price and looking at the Celebrity trip it seems a lot of travelling time especially the first day. We will walk off the ship with our luggage so hopefully get off quite quickly & leave our bags at left luggage at Akl airport so only have carry on for the flight to Queenstown. I have a star alliance gold card so not much queuing at the airport for the air NZ flight.

We land at 1.55pm so will do the TSS Earnshaw lake cruise at 16.00 & then have dinner & enjoy Queenstown. The next day we will do one of the fast jet boat rides at 08.00 & then take the gondola up & have lunch before getting to the airport at 16.00 for our 17.20 flight. Have we got the main things covered for our quick trip?

I have a star alliance gold card so not much queuing at the airport for the air NZ flight.

Domestic flights are self-service and there will be no queuing anyway. You will be able to get into the Koru lounge with your Gold membership (I think that's the case).

You will have plenty of time to get to the airport. Check-in and getting through security usually takes under ten minutes.

The spectacular Queenstown area is well worth a visit, even a short visit such as proposed. However, in our experience, one needs considerably more time to do that area justice. Also, you would spend a substantial part of the available time travelling from AKL to ZQN and then return. Another consideration in planning a tightly-scheduled visit is that activities in Queenstown may not go according to plan. When we were most recently there, the Earnslaw was briefly "down" for some maintenance problem -- hardly a surprise considering that it is more than a century old!

Auckland also has much to see and do, though of a different nature than the activities available around ZQN. If your departure date from AKL cannot be extended, my inclination would be spend the time in and around Auckland and save Queenstown for another trip. Of course, if your interests are mainly in the things available around ZQN, that would be the determining factor. And yes, a Star Alliance gold card will get you into the ANZ Koru Lounges.

John

Edited by J-D

Celebrity do offer an overnight trip but it is $1200 for both of us & we will miss a day & night onboard cruising the fiords. The flights are $200 each at the moment so a big difference in price and looking at the Celebrity trip it seems a lot of travelling time especially the first day. We will walk off the ship with our luggage so hopefully get off quite quickly & leave our bags at left luggage at Akl airport so only have carry on for the flight to Queenstown. I have a star alliance gold card so not much queuing at the airport for the air NZ flight.

We land at 1.55pm so will do the TSS Earnshaw lake cruise at 16.00 & then have dinner & enjoy Queenstown. The next day we will do one of the fast jet boat rides at 08.00 & then take the gondola up & have lunch before getting to the airport at 16.00 for our 17.20 flight. Have we got the main things covered for our quick trip?

You sure have. The flight from Auckland to Queenstown will give you some spectacular scenery as well . ...especially if the weather is in your favour..:)

Yes, you are mad! On the other hand, DW and I recently spend 2 weeks driving around South Island and loved Queenstown (we stayed in a lovely furnished apartment for 4 nights). Would we do such a short trip to Queenstown? No because we would plan on having several days. But even one day is better then no days :)

Hank

We already have the flights booked so can not stay longer & we do not know if we will return to NZ so that was why we wanted to see it. Our original plan was to stay in Akl for 2 nights but Queenstown seems to be one of those 'must see' places.

Ok coming in with a different perspective…

living across the ditch QT is great BUT

in previous visits I have had flights from AKL and CCH cancelled due to weather… in all 5 cases (yep not once) we have been bussed (or got a hire car) to drive the flight route which take 6 + hours. No fun

Note the cancellations have been Nov, Jan, Feb, Feb and July so there is no consistent weather pattern

IMHO the best of QT is out of town (dart river, Otago wines etc) if your schedule only allows for town.. no not worth it

OK - thanks for that. I was wondering how it was with flights being cancelled & I looked at early flights the next morning but as our flight home is 13.30 there is not much chance of making it. We will have a rethink - maybe Auckland for 2 days will be a safer bet & we were looking to do Waiheke for a day if we did that which looks good.

Many thanks for everybody's suggestions - I really appreciate them

We would agree that the best part of QT is the surrounding region. The city itself is compact, has its share of restaurants and a great view over the lake, but it was our long lazy days out in the region that made it a very special place.

Hank

I agree any time in queenstown is better than none. Give me queenstown over Auckland any day, but I am not a city person.

Unfortunately you might be up again bad weather and cancellations.

Friends were on a flight auk to queenstown last November, due to bad weather than were taken to Christchurch where they were told they would be taken by bus, but that didn't happen as the roads were closed, so they couldn't even hire a car. the airline then just flew everyone back to auk and gave them a credit for the return fare.

If you decide against the queenstown trip which I hope you don't, if your ship doesn't go to the bay of islands, that is another option. Not all ships go up there but to me its a beautiful area, particularly the town of Russell.

I agree any time in queenstown is better than none. Give me queenstown over Auckland any day, but I am not a city person.

Unfortunately you might be up again bad weather and cancellations.

Friends were on a flight auk to queenstown last November, due to bad weather than were taken to Christchurch where they were told they would be taken by bus, but that didn't happen as the roads were closed, so they couldn't even hire a car. the airline then just flew everyone back to auk and gave them a credit for the return fare.

If you decide against the queenstown trip which I hope you don't, if your ship doesn't go to the bay of islands, that is another option. Not all ships go up there but to me its a beautiful area, particularly the town of Russell.

We are going to the bay of islands on the cruise so that should be good. We can not risk the weather in Queenstown for getting back for our flight back to Akl & home so we will give it a miss & go to Waiheke for the day during our stay in Akl. I agree that I have not seen loads that make me want to stay in Akl for a long time but as we are only staying 2 nights it will nice to visit especially being in Waiheke for a day. Thanks for your advice

We are going to the bay of islands on the cruise so that should be good. We can not risk the weather in Queenstown for getting back for our flight back to Akl & home so we will give it a miss & go to Waiheke for the day during our stay in Akl. I agree that I have not seen loads that make me want to stay in Akl for a long time but as we are only staying 2 nights it will nice to visit especially being in Waiheke for a day. Thanks for your advice

Enjoy the Bay of Islands, I was bought (some would say dragged) up there..and Im now in auckland...which funnily enough...i prefer!

Waiheke is a great choice for a day out in Auckland.

If you are in the Bay, Russell is a stunning town, the architecture is pretty original and there is a lot of history attached to the town. You should try and get a boat trip in if you are looking at planning your trip, particularly the Hole in the Rock tour.

best regards Roscoe

Hobbsie from my point of view you have made the right decision, I think it would have been far too stressful trying to see Queenstown in such a short time frame.

Waiheke sounds a nice day out, you could also go over to Devonport on the ferry, have a bit of lunch. I am sure you will fill the time in.