Queens Grille Vs Britannia Experience?

Lakesregion

Let me see if I can set this up properly to get the responses I am seeking.

1. I realize the overall experience is subjective.

2. No question the Queens Grille staterooms and dining is better than Britannia.

What I am wondering as I am a rather social person and would be traveling solo (male) whether I would at the end of a world cruise (full) come away with a better overall experience having sailed Queens Grille or in Britannia (money is no consideration). I have sailed numerous times in Britannia and on other lines in their form of steerage so I know that level of experience.

I wonder if those sailing in the Grills find they spend more time in their staterooms vs a Britannia passenger. Do you take tea more often in the Grilles Lounge vs the Queens Room?

Do you find that you do not frequent the other dining venues very much such as the Pub?

Do you find that you spend more time in the Grille Lounge than in he other ship lounges?

I enjoy breakfast by myself but love lunch and dinner at tables of 8-10. I would not generally care to have breakfast at an 8-10 top in the Grille. Can this be adjusted?

And as for the other passengers, how did you find the extent of your list of acquaintances if you sailed in the Grills vs say the much larger potential of the entire ship?

I am considering the QE 2016 full world cruise as it is in my mind a beautiful ship and the itinerary is exceptional but , I am not a huge port guy so the ship board experience is primary and while I would love the luxury of the Queen Grille I do not wish by being tempted with all its amenities and a large and comfortable (read stay inside) stateroom to miss the total experience.

Sorry for he length but I wanted to set out what answers I am seeking. I look forward to hearing from you all.

As you say money no object of course the Grill option is the one to go for. If that was not so lots of folk are wasting lots of cash booking them. But the ship is what you sail for and just because you have a superior stateroom it would be a great waste of the ship to spend more time there.

So my opinion, go for the Grills but spend the bulk of your time in "the ship" where it really is all happening.

David.

I wonder if those sailing in the Grills find they spend more time in their staterooms vs a Britannia passenger. Do you take tea more often in the Grilles Lounge vs the Queens Room?

Do you find that you do not frequent the other dining venues very much such as the Pub?

Do you find that you spend more time in the Grille Lounge than in he other ship lounges?

I enjoy breakfast by myself but love lunch and dinner at tables of 8-10. I would not generally care to have breakfast at an 8-10 top in the Grille. Can this be adjusted?

And as for the other passengers, how did you find the extent of your list of acquaintances if you sailed in the Grills vs say the much larger potential of the entire ship?

We have travelled in PG more than in QG, and we have definitely spent more time in the QG stateroom than PG or Britannia rooms. We have entertained our new acquaintances at least once per crossing when in Queen's.

Whether in Queens or Princess we take afternoon tea approximately equally in the Grills Lounge and the Queen's Room. The tea in the Grills Lounge is exquisite, with a choice of several teas and it is quiet and unrushed. But when the string quartet or harpist is playing in the Queen's Room the ambiance is unbeatable. It may require spending time in a queue (but not always).

When in the Grills I have no desire to visit any other restaurant, although if I was ever on a world cruise I might do so.

We spend a fair amount of time in the Grills lounge if for no other reason than it is often uncrowded. The QE's Grills lounge is more appealing to us than the one on the QM2. Our last crossing was in Britannia and we wanted to enjoy the string quartet playing in the Chart Room most evenings before dinner. We couldn't get seats once. I wished we had been in the Grills because we have never had a problem getting a seat. On the QE, even though we were in the Grills, we did enjoy our G&T some evenings in the Commodore Club without any difficulty getting seats.

As for having breakfast alone in QG when assigned to a large table, this could be difficult. I have found on some voyages that many of the passengers do not appear for breakfast and on some voyages we had our breakfast alone, yet on many other occasions all 8 people showed up. Perhaps you could take breakfast in Britannia where seating is unassigned (for breakfast and lunch, that is), although I don't know if it is easy to get a table for one.

Edited by david,Mississauga

Excellent responses keep them coming. Thank you much.

I do know that one is not allowed to dine above one's station (cabin grade) but with a Queens Grill stateroom, can anyone be invited to dine en suite? I do know all, other than the actual occupant of the room, will be charged a fee.

So far Lunch has been solved, still need that breakfast deal as the Queens Grille dining room is most attractive. Of course I assume that if one has a table for 8 but the weather while arriving in port is fine one can get an outside table for one for breakfast on the Grille Deck. Yes?

I do know that one is not allowed to dine above one's station (cabin grade) but with a Queens Grill stateroom, can anyone be invited to dine en suite? I do know all, other than the actual occupant of the room, will be charged a fee.

I think if I was invited to dine en suite I would be somewhat miffed to get a bill.

David.

I get the gist that self discipline as to where one might spend time on board all Queens Grille areas vs. around the ship is the final answer. However, I am hoping for more than two responses as to how people who have actually done both types of sailings experienced Queens Grille to get an idea of the level of discipline required.

Again realizing that many Queens Grille passengers have no idea that there is anything below that level and that many of these folks also do not care to post, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

My 1st 6 were Britannia, my last 7 were Grills - 2 PG, 5 QG.

Since you said you weren't considering cost in your decision...I loved the Britannia, but I won't go back to Britannia class (except for a 5 day or less voyage) because I like a larger room, tub, bar set up, walk in closet, etc. on a longer voyage, and then we also love the meals in the PG & QG.

I often eat breakfast in the Britannia because the "hustle and bustle" wakes me up and gets me started for the day, but the menu is less varied than Grills, so know that going in. I always request a table for 2 in Britannia at breakfast.

I don't eat in my cabin, if I am reading in my cabin it is on the balcony. If I am enjoying a book, it is in the Winter Garden or the outside private sundeck for Grills PAX.

Our time is spent in the same places as when we travelled in Britannia - Chart Room & Vuerve Clicquot bar before dinner, Queens Room or show after dinner; Golden Lion for the Pub lunch. I like the respite of the private Grills sundeck, but only use the Grills Lounge for afternoon tea, unless the string quartet is playing in the Queens room tea.

As for company, I can't answer that as we always sit at a table for 2. We are normally 2 of the youngest people - if not the youngest people - on the ship and we don't go on board to meet others, really, just to enjoy ourselves. We have made some great friends in the past though, with whom we still keep in touch. But for us - it's basically a 12-14 night date.

That being said, just because we keep to one another, we have not stayed in our room anymore in a QG than a Britannia. Room dwelling & meals in our room just isn't our thing. I have never even ordered room service. So being alone or being in the QG has nothing to do with - for us anyway - how much time we spend in our suite. I never thought of it as being "disciplined".

As for the length of a World Cruise affecting this - I could not tell you, the longest which I have been on board is 12-14 days straight. We both work 50+ hours a week, so a World cruise is several decades away.

Enjoy your trip, Cunard ships are the place I love being more than anywhere in the world ;)

Twice we've sailed Br. Club, once for 1 week, the second for 94 day World Cruise. The only difference from regular Brittania is the dedicated dining room and where the cabins are located, but they are the same cabins. We also sailed QG, and loved it.

On a world cruise, there is a lounge set aside for those passengers. There is a concierge to handle tours, restaurant reservations, etc. as well as various daily newspapers. It is another opportunity to meet people. I found we met most people through activities: we dance almost every evening and we started seeing the same familiar faces. I played bridge on sea days, and had several nice coffees with several players. I showed up to play social bridge, and people got to know me, so sometimes I'd be pulled in as I walked by to make a table of 4. On excursions, I met other very nice people.

If you wish to breakfast alone, I'd order room service if you are in QG. You don't get alone time in any dining room, unless you've asked for a table for 1-2, and in the grills the table you are assigned is your table for all meals.

Breakfast items, such as fresh berries and fresh orange juice (not reconstituted) are things you don't get in the main dining room, but you can order them in Club and the Grills. It's nice that your waiter is with you for the entire cruise, he brings your beverage the minute he sees you, no need to ask for it.

On the world cruise, towards the end of each segment, our maitre'd would quietly ask us if we wished to change our seating. We were a table for 2, and there were 4 such tables lined in a tight row. All of us declined, we were so happy with the independence of when we ate, but still could catch up on our neighbors' even if they were finishing early to see a movie. We all enjoyed the companionship of talking amongst the tables, but also liked that we could order and be served on our schedule, not waiting for all 8 to arrive at a round table. On this last point, it's not that they hold early diners orders for late diners, but if you are roughly at the same time, it seems that the delivery is paced so all eat at the same time.

You will meet people in the Grills lounge. As the group is smaller, the faces become familiar. And as you mentioned you like to use other lounges and bars, you should have a lot of happy company.

So far Lunch has been solved, still need that breakfast deal as the Queens Grille dining room is most attractive. Of course I assume that if one has a table for 8 but the weather while arriving in port is fine one can get an outside table for one for breakfast on the Grille Deck. Yes?

OK, so if you are in the Grills and say have a table for 8 0r 10 (my last one was actually 9), breakfast will, to some extent depend on your fellow table mates - for example 3 of ours never came to breakfast. On the Queen Elizabeth you of course have the Courtyard possibility when the weather is fine. As others have said - you could always breakfast in Brittania or the Lido or your room - but personally I would miss the quality of the Grills and the extra choices for breakfast, but then on a full World Cruise you possibly want to alternate you breakfast arrangements.

Again realizing that many Queens Grille passengers have no idea that there is anything below that level and that many of these folks also do not care to post, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Having travelled in Britannia, PG and QG and met many people I can say that hardly anyone has heard of Cruise Critic. I have encouraged many passengers to look at the forum and I hope at least some of them will contribute.

Yes, that will certainly ensure that you get loads of answers to your question. Well done indeed.

Thank you all who provided valid information. I am convinced that the Queens Grille is the way to go for the world cruise. I will work with the breakfast thing.

One final question as I can not find an accurate floor plan for the Queens Grille dining room (the deck plan shows just 32 seats and I know that is not correct).

How many tables of 8-10 are available and how easy is it to change tables once underway should the table consist not to be of ones liking or if the majority wants to dine at 6 and I enjoy a later meal?

Edited by Lakesregion

There are normally 3 tables for 8; one to the left as you enter (which is about halfway down the room), one to the right (which is in the forward corner and has a wonderful view) and one opposite the entrance to the Grill (which is protected from traffic by a screen). If your table companions do not suit, then it is always possible to discuss matters with the Maitre d'. As far as dining time is concerned, this very much a matter for the table to sort out. Typically, a convivial table will find a time that is acceptable to all.