Has anyone flown on WestJet Airlines?

DannyDisneyFreak

I live in Buffalo, NY and all flights to Vancouver for our Alaska cruise mostly have 2 stops and quite expensive. I looked at flights out of Toronto, which is an hour and a half drive away but flights are almost half price and non stop. The cheapest flights are on WestJet Air, is WestJet good to fly on? I don't want to be stuck on a 6 hour flight and be miserable. How are amenities? Are coach seats reasonably comfortable for coach? Thanks.

I live in Buffalo, NY and all flights to Vancouver for our Alaska cruise mostly have 2 stops and quite expensive. I looked at flights out of Toronto, which is an hour and a half drive away but flights are almost half price and non stop. The cheapest flights are on WestJet Air, is WestJet good to fly on? I don't want to be stuck on a 6 hour flight and be miserable. How are amenities? Are coach seats reasonably comfortable for coach? Thanks.

West Jet is great. I have flown them many times, most recently from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale for my Liberty cruise in November. Good planes and comfortable seating.

Westjet is our airline of choice. Seats are leather with TV screen in the back of the headrest. Cabin service is outstanding! The best people we've ever encountered on any airline. Also, the line up to check in is always reasonably small.......not like AirCanada which is miles long. Try Westjet and you will be very happy you did.

Westj.et is great! New planes, good friendly service. I try to fly them whenever they are available. hova

I flew Westjet from Toronto to Vancouver two weeks ago. They are great, very comfortable seating and you can upgrade to economy+ seats for about $40 each way (that's about $2.50 american:D...;))

Take the earliest flight you can as they are not as crowded as the mid-morning and later flights.

P.S. They also fly out of Hamilton but not a frequently.

Edited by DirtyDawg

I live in Canada and am a frequent flyer. West Jet by far outranks Air Canada. It prides itself on its service and it shows! If possible , when I travel (as do most Canadians) West Jet is hands down the choice of airlines!

Hope that helps :)

Lisa

I agree with others.....Westjet is great! Flew to Vancouver last summer via Westjet. Our cruise departed from Seatlle but our son lives in Vancouver so we visited him first. Just wanted to add this as something to think about.....look at the price of a Buffalo to Seattle flight and then if you have time or can go a day early to explore Seattle you can take the BOLT bus from Seattle to Vancouver early on the morning of cruise day at just over $20pp. We did this in reverse.

Back to Westjet. Definitely a sense of humour by employees on board just as someone said.

Have had great flights. In Nov. I also flew via Westjet to St. Lucia.

Buy a regular priced seat and then when you do your check in, click on the plus seats to see if there are still seats available. You can then upgrade to one with a cost of only $40pp. Or, at the check in counter at the airport ask if there are any plus seats & pay then. Or, wait until you are onboard and if there is an empty plus seat pay onboard. Wait, there's more. Or, when on onboard if there is an empty plus seat ask if you can sit in it for free. Yes, there's a catch to the free plus seat. With a plus seat you get all food and drinks free and free ear buds if you don't have them. However, if you sit in the seat for free, no free food & drink. But that's reasonable isn't it? Hope I explained this clearly. I did ask on my last flight for one of the flight attendants to explain it all to me and this is what I was told.

We have flown West Jet many times and have always had great service and wonderful flight crews. Everyone on board seems to genuinely enjoy their jobs. In fact, we just booked them to San Juan & return for our cruise in May.

Living in Eastern Canada, our airline choices are basically limited to Air Canada and West Jet. We find WJ fares are normally significantly lower than Air Canada's and often more direct, hence requiring shorter period travelling.

• 3 months later...

I have flown WestJet extensively on business.

It is a good airline, very similar to Air Canada. It started as a no frill less expensive carrier. It is still no frills but you really need to check pricing. We find their pricing high about 50 percent of the time fly.

I have flown WestJet extensively on business.

It is a good airline, very similar to Air Canada. It started as a no frill less expensive carrier. It is still no frills but you really need to check pricing. We find their pricing high about 50 percent of the time fly.

They can do some stupid things, just like other airlines. Such as suggesting that when we were stuck in Winnipeg that that we should fly to Toronto and then fly back to Calgary. Go figure.

They can do some stupid things, just like other airlines. Such as suggesting that when we were stuck in Winnipeg that that we should fly to Toronto and then fly back to Calgary. Go figure.

May not have been that stupid. If there are no seats available between YWG and YYC direct, but there are seats YWG-YYZ-YYC, then they are offering you a known quantity rather than having you wait for something to open up.

Whether you would rather take the bird in hand (albeit a LONG bird) or wait for one to show up from the bush - only you can make that value judgement. Personally, I have a preference for known quantities, especially if I am trying to get somewhere.