Never cruised before..

southernat_Heart

Hi there, I figured I'd make a new post to help guide me in a more specific direction with cruises. Firstly, my husband and I are looking to possibly (we are not entirely sold on taking a cruise, but we are seriously considering it) book a cruise for a very long awaited late honeymoon. We are in our 30s, and active adults that want to have our last 'amazing' experience before we really settle down and have a family, so this trip has been the subject of many evenings of internet research.

To give you an idea (for those that might be of some assistance), I am looking for a cruise that is about 7-10 days, not Europe. Our budget's high point is 8,000, but we'd prefer to keep it at about 5 grand. I think that doing a cruise that involves some historic sightseeing opportunities, or the possibility of some ancient pyramids would be the most interesting to us, with the opportunity for some snorkeling, etc.

Additionally, I've done some research on the various cruise lines and am very interested in booking on Royal Carribean's Oasis of the Seas, mostly because it seems to be in the category of good ratings and being recently updated. However, i noticed the mention of it having a larger 50+ crowd (no offense meant, I am just looking for something that will be appropriate for our age).

So with all of that being said, I'd really appreciate any suggestions, whether that be a specific ship/cruise or destination that would offer the opportunities that we are seeking. Thank you guys!

Hi there, I figured I'd make a new post to help guide me in a more specific direction with cruises. Firstly, my husband and I are looking to possibly (we are not entirely sold on taking a cruise, but we are seriously considering it) book a cruise for a very long awaited late honeymoon. We are in our 30s, and active adults that want to have our last 'amazing' experience before we really settle down and have a family, so this trip has been the subject of many evenings of internet research.

To give you an idea (for those that might be of some assistance), I am looking for a cruise that is about 7-10 days, not Europe. Our budget's high point is 8,000, but we'd prefer to keep it at about 5 grand. I think that doing a cruise that involves some historic sightseeing opportunities, or the possibility of some ancient pyramids would be the most interesting to us, with the opportunity for some snorkeling, etc.

Additionally, I've done some research on the various cruise lines and am very interested in booking on Royal Carribean's Oasis of the Seas, mostly because it seems to be in the category of good ratings and being recently updated. However, i noticed the mention of it having a larger 50+ crowd (no offense meant, I am just looking for something that will be appropriate for our age).

So with all of that being said, I'd really appreciate any suggestions, whether that be a specific ship/cruise or destination that would offer the opportunities that we are seeking. Thank you guys!

First, CONGRATS on considering taking your first cruise! Welcome to Cruise Critic...First off, if ancient ruins & snorkeling are important, then WESTERN Caribbean is for you- that usually is one/ some of these ports: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Jamaica, Belize, Roatan ( Honduras), and a few more...The Oasis is a great choice- I just went on her in Oct, JUST after the update..BUT, you may want to consider the Freedom Of The Seas out of Port Canaveral even more..let me explain: The BEST ports of call for Mayan ruins are Cozumel & Belize..for snorkeling or scuba, best is Grand Cayman, Belize, & Cozumel..the Oasis DOES NOT go to Grand Cayman , but the NEWLY renovated Freedom Of The Seas goes to Grand Cayman( great snorkel, AND Sting Ray City!), Jamaica & Cozumel ( ruins AND snorkel)...

As far as the cabins go, $5000-8000 gets you a great cabin..a suite perhaps..I would consider a Grand Suite ( Cat GS) at 401 SF & balcony 107 SF) or the bigger Royal Family Suite with Balcony ( Cat FS) at 587 SF & balcony 270 SF ( !!!!)...go to the RCI website & put in your info ( dates, cabin type, etc..) & see what comes up...I have seen both..the FS suite is AMAZING & you can hold a party on the balcony..GS is very nice, but MUCH smaller & not nearly as impressive as the FS..

As far as age goes, RCI's average age is 46, Celebrity, HAL & Princess slightly higher, Norwegian & Carnival slightly lower, but I would also consider the NCL Getaway Or New ESCAPE ( coming out in Nov '15)..they have GREAT cabins in an area called "The Haven", which is a private area for passengers with their own pool, bars, dining venues, etc..The Getaway BTW, goes to Cozumel,Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios ( Jamaica)... that RCI age is pretty normal because lots of seniors, 50 somethings go on cruises..anymore questions, give shout..I am a cruise agent & been on all except Costa & MSC..Love the Freedom ( BTW, Independence of The Seas good choice, too!), Oasis & Allure, but checkout the Haven on The Getaway...

Big Al

I would second that recommendation. We just booked a Grand Suite (GS) on Freedom over Thanksgiving and it was about $5600 for three of us. The prices have gone up since we booked, but if you book during a non-prime week (i.e., not Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, or prime summer vacation months), you are likely to be this range. The GS is great size room, although I saw an Owners Suite (OS) during our last cruise, and I liked it even better...lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have a nice budget for your cruise, we also did a GS on last RCCL cruise which was great. The GS or above gives you many perks which will make the cruise more enjoyable such as a concierge , free drinks, priority seating for shows and a great cabin. As for age, you will find all ages on most ships. We avoid the summer since some of these ships may have a lot of children running around.

Does you budget include transportation (airfare) to and from departure port? Hotel for the night before the cruise? The time of year you choose wil dictate the cruise lines available to you. Widest choices are during the winter season. In the summer, you likely won't find cruises in the Caribbean longer than 8 days. The ships doing longer cruises have left for Alaska and Europe.

Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com, and if you have a departure port in mind, choose it from the top list, and then click on the month you wish to sail, and it will give you the ships and their itineraries. If you have a particular port or ports that you think you want to visit, click on those from the second list, then the time, and it will tell you who is calling there, and the itineraries. EM

No indication of where in the US you life. If you can drive to the port you will save the airfare.

Will your budgeted limit include spending other than the cruise fare? This can add up especially if you are not careful with your spending. Some items not included:

Tips

Most beverages

Excursions.

Photos

Specialty Restaurants

Why would anyone want to pay so much for a room? Sure it sounds real nice to have a suite on a cruise but for what?

Unless you plan on spending lots of time in it then maybe. We recently did our first cruise and had a hard time deciding on what type of room to get. First we were considering a balcony then decided to save $500 and just go with an inside. Glad we did, spent zero time in the room other then sleep, shower, change.

Take a look at NCL they are offering free beverage packages for many cruise dates if you book ocean view or higher. There are many 10, 11, 12 night cruses from Miami and Tampa. Some cover the many stops that poster bigal listed.

If you are looking for the young active crowd, then look to Disney, Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean. If you are looking for the 50+ crowd, then look to HAL and Celebrity. Princess is in the middle of the family oriented lines and the premium lines. Above them all are the luxury lines; Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal and Regent.

I have been on eleven Royal Caribbean cruises, including the Allure (which is a sister ship to the Oasis) and Royal Caribbean attracts the younger more active crowd. That said, any cruise that involves more than five working days (which means all cruises over nine nights) is going to attract an older group of passengers simply because it takes a while to earn the vacation time and the financial means to take that much time off from work.

Based on what you are interested, I would recommend the Western Caribbean with stops in Costa Maya, Mexico, Belize (which involves a very long tender ride) or Progreso, Mexico (the closest port to Chichen Itza). I do not recommend visiting any pyramids while docked in Cozumel. It is too easy miss the ship and then you have to fly to the next port.

Given that, the Oasis of the Seas is not a good choice because it goes to Cozumel, not Costa Maya.

For snorkeling, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Belize are all good Western Caribbean ports.

As to your budget, figure about $100 to $150 per person per night for a cabin (the lower range for inside cabins and the upper range for balcony cabins with ocean view cabins in the middle). If you want a suite figure $200 to $1,000 per person per night (depending on the suite).

As suggestions, the NCL Dawn out of New Orleans (I great city to cruise from) visits Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya (and other ports) or the NCL Star out of Tampa which visits Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya.

I'm not trying to push NCL, it is just that NCL has a cruise to the Western Caribbean I am interested in, so I thought of NCL first.

Keep in mind, you can cruise with your kids (many people do and there are some advantages to family cruise vacations).

Also, besides Royal Caribbean, I've been on Carnival ten times, NCL twice and Princess twice.

Edited by Cuizer2

...First off, if ancient ruins & snorkeling are important, then WESTERN Caribbean is for you- that usually is one/ some of these ports: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Jamaica, Belize, Roatan ( Honduras), and a few more...

Big Al

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Very much agree with Big Al -- Since ancient ruins and snorkeling are what you want, the WESTERN Caribbean would be the right itinerary for you!

LuLu

Why would anyone want to pay so much for a room? Sure it sounds real nice to have a suite on a cruise but for what?

Unless you plan on spending lots of time in it then maybe. We recently did our first cruise and had a hard time deciding on what type of room to get. First we were considering a balcony then decided to save $500 and just go with an inside. Glad we did, spent zero time in the room other then sleep, shower, change.

Take a look at NCL they are offering free beverage packages for many cruise dates if you book ocean view or higher. There are many 10, 11, 12 night cruses from Miami and Tampa. Some cover the many stops that poster bigal listed.

You are in the minority here..read this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393

The reason why you didn't spend anytime in your cabin ( not room), is because you had a crappy cabin- I didn't spend anytime in my inside cabin either...aaahh but the BALCONY- now that's a whole different ballgame...the salt air, the wind & sun on your face, the dolphins swimming along side the ship, the AMAZING, ROMANTIC sunsets from your private heaven, all missed in an inside ....read what the others have said, too..my favorite is about a couple who booked 16 straight inside cabins with me, and FINALLY was convinced to try a balcony hump cabin on the Freedom Of The Seas..they called me FROM THEIR BALCONY as they were sailing away, and they both screamed into their cell phone,"this is fantastic- we are ON our private balcony w/o 2000+ other jerks screaming at who knows who on the top deck...NEVER AGAIN AN INSIDE- you were right, no more broom closets for us!!"...when they returned they had numerous stories about their adventures on their balcony..he said it perfectly: "A balcony completely changes your cruise experience from that of an inside- completely!"..Period...

Big Al

Why would anyone want to pay so much for a room? Sure it sounds real nice to have a suite on a cruise but for what? Unless you plan on spending lots of time in it then maybe.

Due to limited vacation time, we only get a week for a true family vacation, so we like to splurge for a bit of luxury for that one week. If we were traveling multiple weeks per year on a ship, we might rethink our cabin selection strategy :). Also, there are so many perks that are advantageous when you are traveling with a younger child (priority boarding and disembark, in-room MDR dining, DVD player, bathtub, etc.). And we have, so far in two cruises, spent some time in there due to bad weather, waiting for Kids club or WJ to open, or just to wind down after long day.

Based on what you are interested, I would recommend the Western Caribbean with stops in Costa Maya, Mexico, Belize (which involves a very long tender ride) or Progreso, Mexico (the closest port to Chichen Itza). I do not recommend visiting any pyramids while docked in Cozumel. It is too easy miss the ship and then you have to fly to the next port

Actually, Tulum is about 45-50 minutes away from Cozumel...Chichen Itza ia a 2 hour drive, and yes, THAT would be difficult to see on a cruise stop..just an FYI...

Big Al

You are in the minority here..read this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393

The reason why you didn't spend anytime in your cabin ( not room), is because you had a crappy cabin- I didn't spend anytime in my inside cabin either...aaahh but the BALCONY- now that's a whole different ballgame...the salt air, the wind & sun on your face, the dolphins swimming along side the ship, the AMAZING, ROMANTIC sunsets from your private heaven, all missed in an inside ....read what the others have said, too..my favorite is about a couple who booked 16 straight inside cabins with me, and FINALLY was convinced to try a balcony hump cabin on the Freedom Of The Seas..they called me FROM THEIR BALCONY as they were sailing away, and they both screamed into their cell phone,"this is fantastic- we are ON our private balcony w/o 2000+ other jerks screaming at who knows who on the top deck...NEVER AGAIN AN INSIDE- you were right, no more broom closets for us!!"...when they returned they had numerous stories about their adventures on their balcony..he said it perfectly: "A balcony completely changes your cruise experience from that of an inside- completely!"..Period...

Big Al

Sorry Big Al but that's far from the truth ("crappy cabin") as the reason why we did not spend time in it. Why would we want to spend time in a cabin when on a cruise? We were to busy enjoying what the ship offered, meeting other people, enjoying the activities/entertainment, out at ports. Out of cabin by 7/8am, bed around 2/3am.

Salt,wind, sunsets, wtv seen that from the pool decks, with all the other people enjoying their time.

On the other hand I was not talking about balcony vs inside. We did spend time with our friends on their balcony and it was nice.

My response was towards those that started to say book a suite. When some suites are $2000+ compared to a balcony. Really has to be something extremely special to justify paying that crazy amount of money for a cabin that you will rarely been in lol.

Then you have people saying "Oh I saved for years to go on this one trip" complaining, just to throw money into a silly suite that they hardly use for a 7-10 night trip. When they could have used all that extra money and did a second or third trip in the same year.

The OP of the thread said this would be their very first cruise. Do you really expect them to stay in their room? Sure the OP listed a very nice cruise budget, and first advice given is use the money on a suite. Common that's not really good advice (again my opinion) knowing full well that they will likely want to see / do as much as they can. They could easily get a nice balcony, 10 night cruise in the 2k range and save 6k to use on many other things. Then future cruises they can decide on what more or less they want out of a cabin.

Again my response was not about balcony vs inside, was about how crazy some people are to spend tons of money on a suite. Really don't see how paying 2-4k more for a cabin will make their trip any better then the people the spent much less for inside,ocean,balcony lol

Edited by jb456

Based on what you are interested, I would recommend the Western Caribbean with stops in Costa Maya, Mexico, Belize (which involves a very long tender ride) or Progreso, Mexico (the closest port to Chichen Itza). I do not recommend visiting any pyramids while docked in Cozumel. It is too easy miss the ship and then you have to fly to the next port

Actually, Tulum is about 45-50 minutes away from Cozumel...Chichen Itza ia a 2 hour drive, and yes, THAT would be difficult to see on a cruise stop..just an FYI...

Big Al

Thanks for this tip. I know we were considering a pyramid excursion on our stop at Cozumel. Guess I will now need to talk my wife into another cruise - one that stops closer to the pyramids...lol

Due to limited vacation time, we only get a week for a true family vacation, so we like to splurge for a bit of luxury for that one week. If we were traveling multiple weeks per year on a ship, we might rethink our cabin selection strategy :). Also, there are so many perks that are advantageous when you are traveling with a younger child (priority boarding and disembark, in-room MDR dining, DVD player, bathtub, etc.). And we have, so far in two cruises, spent some time in there due to bad weather, waiting for Kids club or WJ to open, or just to wind down after long day.

In no way am I trying to offend you but really? If a suite is $2000 more then a balcony how can you justify spending that amount for a few additional "perks"?

DVD player - bring a laptop, tablet,

Boarding-Disembark - can't you just buy that separately? Or kids are kids go with the flow.

Weather/kids club/wind - lots of other places to hang out on the ship instead of a room

Bathtub - no comment on that

MDR in room - $2000 difference I think I would just sacrifice not going at all lol

I understand limited vacation time - but for me I would rather "splurge" on some amazing excursions, donating to the locals, then putting that money into a suite that is hardly going to be used.

Many holidays through the year where you get long weekends. Use that money for weekend getaways with the family, anything :)

I'm sorry I am not trying to be rude, just trying to understand the logic of having a suite. It reminds me of people that would rather spend a thousand extra on a direct flight then a small layover but I guess some people don't care and got money to burn.

It might just be me that thinks this way lol so I apologize. After volunteering for a month in Haiti helping them rebuild back in 2010 after their massive earthquake I look at things much differently these days.

Edited by jb456

I had to chuckle when I read that you wanted to have your "last amazing experience" before settling down and having a family. :D Oh honey, unless you are one of the few who can find something to gripe and complain about every petty detail, you are going to LOVE cruising and I'm sure you will find out that cruising is a very family friendly vacation. I seriously doubt you will see it as your "last amazing experience" but the beginning of many more to come!!! ;) My hubby said he would never go on a cruise - not his thing - until I won our first cruise and he would not let me go with a friend. He may not be as hooked as I am, but he readily admits that he enjoys it immensely and has not refused to go back LOL (going on our third next month). The first cruise we left our son at home, not knowing if we would love it or be miserable. We saw how family friendly it was, took him the next time and he is hooked like his mama !!! ;) Life doesn't have to end because you settle down and have a family. Plan and go into it expecting to have a great experience and you won't be disappointed !!! Welcome to cruising :)

Thanks for this tip. I know we were considering a pyramid excursion on our stop at Cozumel. Guess I will now need to talk my wife into another cruise - one that stops closer to the pyramids...lol

As a newbie I don't know if each ship has different policies but the Princess cruise we were on stopped in Cozumel.

The excursions to the ruins (tulum and some other full day excursions) had a policy that if you were late they would hold the ship for you. The excursion price was higher then booking directly with other companies but the selling point was booking directly with the cruise ship you were guaranteed not to miss the boat.

Edited by jb456

FYI- None of the cruises stops near Chichen Itza..to go there, you will need a stop of 11-12 hours in port, not the usual 8-9 hours...remember, you will use FOUR hours just to get there & back..advice: save this stop for a LAND vacation to Cozumel/ Cancun/ Playa Del Carmen area, and do Tulum & snorkel in Grand Cayman...

FYI- None of the cruises stops near Chichen Itza..to go there, you will need a stop of 11-12 hours in port, not the usual 8-9 hours...remember, you will use FOUR hours just to get there & back..advice: save this stop for a LAND vacation to Cozumel/ Cancun/ Playa Del Carmen area, and do Tulum & snorkel in Grand Cayman...

I thought you mentioned Progresso was closest - is this still too far away? We looked at Barcelo in Rivera Maya for land-based vacation, but my wife decided to do another cruise this year. Our son is too young to snorkel - he is still learning to swim...lol

I thought you mentioned Progresso was closest - is this still too far away? We looked at Barcelo in Rivera Maya for land-based vacation, but my wife decided to do another cruise this year. Our son is too young to snorkel - he is still learning to swim...lol

I think you have me confused with somebody else, but no matter..Progreso IS closer to Chichen Itza, but still a haul..Barcelo's is very nice & MHO is wait till your son is older, I agree..

I think you have me confused with somebody else, but no matter..Progreso IS closer to Chichen Itza, but still a haul..Barcelo's is very nice & MHO is wait till your son is older, I agree..

You mentioned Progresso in post #11....

Big Al

Tulum is on the mainland and Cozumel is an island off the cost of Mexico. Miss the ferry coming back from the mainland and you miss the ship. Unless someone is on a ship sponsored tour, I would not leave the island. There are other ports were you can visit the Mayan ruins without taking the risk that bad weather means you miss the ship.

There are cruises that stop in Progreso which is fairly close to Chichen Itza.

Progreso is only about 100 miles from Chichen Itza, or about two hours. This would still allow three hours to tour Chichen Itza and Chichen Itza offers a lot more to see that Tulum. Tulum requires both a ferry and driving, which is going to take as much time as a drive from Progreso to Chichen Itza.

Edited by Cuizer2