Is It True?? HA will port in Mobile?

soohoo

MY DH co-worker sails HA frequently and said he got a postcard in the mail from HA saying that coming this fall...cruises from Mobile. Anyone else get this postcard or hear of this?

Back in April, I went to Mobile and while speaking with a Police Officer at the Port, she said that they have had meetings as to another company coming in and porting out of Mobile. She couldn't remember which one, but they did already tell the officers that they will be working additional days/times.

Living only 6 hours from port and not a Carnival fan, I would be thrilled to see Mobile added as a port city for HA. I've looked on port site, Mobile site, and HA site and see nothing posted as to this announcement. It just doesn't sound right to send out postcards but not put the news on the website.

THanks for any info you may have!

Didn't get any postcard about HAL having a ship in Mobile.

Looking at the 2005 and 2006 schedules there aren't any HAL ships scheduled to use that port.

There was some talk last year about HAL maybe going to New Orleans.

Right now there won't be any cruise lines using Mobile or New Orleans for a long time to come.

I did not receive anything either.

I checked CCL's press releases and could not find anything on this. :confused:

I would like to see a Hal ship out of Mobile. The one issue is the airport is not very convient for many but Carnival seems to be doing ok, so why not Hal?

KK,

There is a press release stating Carnival will resume cruises from Mobile Sept. 3.

Of course everything is subject to change.

We disembarked the old Noordam in Mobile when she went into extended drydock (January 2003, I think it was) and the residents were so excited to see the ship pulling in - we thought that HAL was going to start using Mobile as a port after that too. We talked to a few of the residents at the hotel and they had heard HAL would be bringing a ship in as well. We never heard any more.

We enjoyed the time we spent in Mobile after our disembarkation. We found it to be a very friendly town. :)

Just for everyones information. Mobile is not wiped out we are still here. The Holiday will begin sailing out of Mobile with its 5 day cruise this Sat. The cruise terminal and the parking garage are fine and all roads in downtown Mobile are passable.

Any other questions I'll be glad to try and answer them for you.

Richard

Thanks, Richard. Glad to hear from someone on scene that things are on the mend. You have a beautiful and totally charming city. We wish you the very best.

It would be great if HAL could base a ship there. It would give millions in the heartland the opportunity to drive to the port and It would open up a whole new market segment to HAL.

It might not, on the other hand, please many longtime HAL cruisers who see HAL as something other than a cruise line for the "driving" crowd.

Richard -

Glad to hear you are ok!!! I was just thinking about you yesterday... thank you for checking in with us, hopefully you have not sustained too much damage.

We would cruise from Mobile on HAL anytime, we loved the city. I hope the USS Alabama has "weathered" the hurricane, we really enjoyed touring Battleship Park with our children and look forward to returning someday.

Richard.....

WONDERFUL to hear you are fine.

So much more than just the port needs to be in 'tourist condition' before any new ships will even think of coming.

Are all the hotels operating 'business as usual' or do they have lots of repairs to make.

Restaurants? Airport? Highways? Telephones? Cell phones? Electricity? Parking areas? Shopping? The entire infrastructure is necessary for happy tourists.

Hopefully (and I really mean it)....hopefully, the answer is "yes"....everything is totally fine.

To which postcard are you referring? I haven't heard anything in regard to a HAL ship home porting in Mobile. Given that CCL frequently promos the Holiday to just fill the ship for 4 & 5 day cruises, I cannot imagine that the response to a premium product there would be very high (?)

To which postcard are you referring? I haven't heard anything in regard to a HAL ship home porting in Mobile. Given that CCL frequently promos the Holiday to just fill the ship for 4 & 5 day cruises, I cannot imagine that the response to a premium product there would be very high (?)

All of you people outside of the Mobile area just slay me when it comes to talking down the cruise industries relationship with this city.

IMHO, Carnival does not promo the Holiday anymore than it promos its other cruises. And in reference to this area supporting, as you put it, “a premium product”, all you have to do is read posts on this thread as to whether people would support another cruise line sailing out of Mobile. I do think that Mobile has got to address some infastructure issues before we can entertain the thought of any of the larger ships sailing out of here, but one of the smaller HAL ships would be supported here.

Laura, thanks for asking about our condition. We sustained very little damage our selves - some roof damage and messed up fence. Mobile did take some nasty hits, but nothing like MS and LA.

Richard - I'm glad to hear you sustained very little damage. I am just still in awe of all the devastation. Such a terrible tragedy.

We so look forward to returning to Mobile - I DO hope HAL decides to port from Mobile, we'd be there in a heartbeat. :) The people of Mobile were so welcoming and hospitable when the Noordam arrived, I thought it would be a great fit!

It might not, on the other hand, please many longtime HAL cruisers who see HAL as something other than a cruise line for the "driving" crowd.

I'd drive anywhere to get on a HAL ship ....

Well, almost anywhere. I'd have to put on some pontoons on my Miata if I want to catch a ship in Sydney.

:D ;)

Laura and Vic,

Thanks so much for the kind words of concern. I would have answered you two before noe, but I have been spending a lot of time helping some friends of ours move what is left of their belongings from their home on Mobile Bay. They had a storm surge of 3-5 feet in their home, but it was not a total loss. Luckly they had another home to go to so they do have a roof over their head.

Richard

Richard and Judie! I jumped on this thread the moment I saw your name! I am so relieved and happy that you 2 are okay. You have been ever so close to my thoughts for this whole week and I have worried so much whether you were okay. Thank heaven that you only sustained minor damage.

Still, I can only imagine how it is for you to be surrounded by such sadness and horror. Take good care and please know how many of us are out here thinking of everyone in the area and praying for strength for all who have been affected by this horrific storm.

My significant other was on the USS Alabama during WWII so when we read of the devastation along the coast, I immediately did research. The most information I got was that the "ship was lisiting to one side and taking on water."

Moreso than the ship, the park surrounding the ship sustained some damage. The adjoining museum had several feet of water and the gift shop also had a lot of water.

We've been to Mobile a few times to reunions of the USS Alabama-- loved the city. Two days ago, was the 60th anniversary of the USS Alabama leading the American fleet into Tokyo Harbor for the signing of the surrender documents with Japan. The actual signing took place on the Missouri, but my SO is always proud that their ship, the Alabama, led the fleet.

Heather,

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts. It is people like you on these boards who have helped more than you will probably ever know in all of us getting through this. Judie and I are a really looking forward to our cruise on Zuiderdam if for no other reason than just to get away from all of this for a while.

Richard & Judie

Archived