Canon Rebel SL1 18MP DSLR w/ 18-55mm & 75-300mm USM Lenses

MilliesMom

Saw that QVC has this camera today as their Today's Special Value (Monday, 2/16/2015). It comes with EF-S 18mm to 55mm IS STM lens, and additional EF 75mm to 300mm III USM lens for long-zoom shots.

Hubby has been thinking about purchasing a new camera for our upcoming cruise.

Any pro or cons on this one?

Here's what it comes with (there are 2 lens with it):

• Includes EOS Rebel SL1 digital camera with EF-S 18mm to 55mm IS STM lens, EF 75mm to 300mm III USM lens, USB cable, lithium battery pack, battery charger, camera strap, Canon camera bag, EOS Rebel DVD, solutions disc, and camera instructional manual disc and hard copy; 32GB SD memory card and software instructions disc; software bundle including Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 (ships separately)
  • 18 megapixels
  • CMOS (APS-C) sensor
  • 3" diagonal touchscreen Clear View LCD monitor
  • DIGIC 5 image processor
  • Nine-point AF system, including center cross-type AF point and AI servo
  • Scene Intelligent auto mode
  • Seven creative filters and composition control
  • Continuous shooting up to 4fps
  • ISO sensitivity to 12,800; expandable to 25,600
  • Full HD 1080p movie mode
  • SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card reader
  • Camera body measures approximately 4-5/8"W x 3-1/2"H x 3"D; weighs 1.5 lbs with lens
  • UL listed adapter; 1-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
  • Imported

Edited by MilliesMom

In my humble opinion, the 75-300 lens is a near-worthless item unless you don't drink coffee and photograph concrete sculptures using a tripod during the summer on a cloudless day. It doesn't have IS, and has poor image quality unless you adjust the aperture setting in such a way that you'll really wish it had IS.

The SL1 is a great camera for people with small hands or who simply want a small camera. The 18-55 IS STM lens is the latest version of a reasonable starter lens, so that's a reasonable place to start. If the price is good (in other words, if this kit is priced less than anybody else selling the SL1 with 18-55 kit), go for it and ignore the 75-300. Otherwise, if the SL1 is the size/shape you want, pick up an SL1 with 18-55 and then either buy a long lens and/or rent something for your Alaska trip.

For Alaska, you should basically figure there's always motion (vibration and rolling of the ship, wind blowing you around, bouncing of the excursion bus/boat/plane, walking around an excursion and don't have time to set up a tripod), so IS is essential, and so is aperture (the "f/ number", lower is better). Consider any of these for your trip:

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/tamron-18-270mm-f3.5-6.3-di-ii-vc-pzd-for-canon

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/canon-70-300mm-f4-5.6-is

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/canon-70-300mm-f4-5.6l-is

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/canon-100-400mm-f4.5-5.6l-is-ii

In my humble opinion, the 75-300 lens is a near-worthless item unless you don't drink coffee and photograph concrete sculptures using a tripod during the summer on a cloudless day. It doesn't have IS, and has poor image quality unless you adjust the aperture setting in such a way that you'll really wish it had IS.

The SL1 is a great camera for people with small hands or who simply want a small camera. The 18-55 IS STM lens is the latest version of a reasonable starter lens, so that's a reasonable place to start. If the price is good (in other words, if this kit is priced less than anybody else selling the SL1 with 18-55 kit), go for it and ignore the 75-300. Otherwise, if the SL1 is the size/shape you want, pick up an SL1 with 18-55 and then either buy a long lens and/or rent something for your Alaska trip.

For Alaska, you should basically figure there's always motion (vibration and rolling of the ship, wind blowing you around, bouncing of the excursion bus/boat/plane, walking around an excursion and don't have time to set up a tripod), so IS is essential, and so is aperture (the "f/ number", lower is better). Consider any of these for your trip:

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/tamron-18-270mm-f3.5-6.3-di-ii-vc-pzd-for-canon

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/canon-70-300mm-f4-5.6-is

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/canon-70-300mm-f4-5.6l-is

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/canon-100-400mm-f4.5-5.6l-is-ii

Thank you for your advice.

The price on the camera (it's a bundle) is very fair after looking at the others (same set up with or without the extra 75-300 lens) so we come out ahead either way PLUS can use the camera for 30 days and return it if we don't like it for any reason.

Yes, completely aware of the ship's movement and vibrations.

I showed Hal your comments and he will check out your links about the other lens too.

Thank you for your advice.

The price on the camera (it's a bundle) is very fair after looking at the others (same set up with or without the extra 75-300 lens) so we come out ahead either way PLUS can use the camera for 30 days and return it if we don't like it for any reason.

Yes, completely aware of the ship's movement and vibrations.

I showed Hal your comments and he will check out your links about the other lens too.

Just be aware with that long lens without IS, even if you are standing on solid ground it is difficult to hold still enough to avoid blurry pics.

To save money and reduce carrying all that stuff, might look into bridge cameras like Sony HX400V. 24mm to 1200mm, good for getting closer to your subject, used this lens in Alaska and was glad I had the range and less gear to carry around. A good place to research cameras and lenses go to preview. com. Great place to get info and help you with your decision.

Tom :cool:

Saw that QVC has this camera today as their Today's Special Value (Monday, 2/16/2015). It comes with EF-S 18mm to 55mm IS STM lens, and additional EF 75mm to 300mm III USM lens for long-zoom shots.

Hubby has been thinking about purchasing a new camera for our upcoming cruise.

Any pro or cons on this one?

Here's what it comes with (there are 2 lens with it):

• Includes EOS Rebel SL1 digital camera with EF-S 18mm to 55mm IS STM lens, EF 75mm to 300mm III USM lens, USB cable, lithium battery pack, battery charger, camera strap, Canon camera bag, EOS Rebel DVD, solutions disc, and camera instructional manual disc and hard copy; 32GB SD memory card and software instructions disc; software bundle including Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 (ships separately)
  • 18 megapixels
  • CMOS (APS-C) sensor
  • 3" diagonal touchscreen Clear View LCD monitor
  • DIGIC 5 image processor
  • Nine-point AF system, including center cross-type AF point and AI servo
  • Scene Intelligent auto mode
  • Seven creative filters and composition control
  • Continuous shooting up to 4fps
  • ISO sensitivity to 12,800; expandable to 25,600
  • Full HD 1080p movie mode
  • SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card reader
  • Camera body measures approximately 4-5/8"W x 3-1/2"H x 3"D; weighs 1.5 lbs with lens
  • UL listed adapter; 1-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
  • Imported

I own this camera and love it , and agree with peety3's assessment . I used it successfully in South America with the lens he mentioned :

Here's the thread if you would like to look at the photos .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1958814

I own this camera and love it , and agree with peety3's assessment . I used it successfully in South America with the lens he mentioned :

Here's the thread if you would like to look at the photos .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1958814

Great photos ....

Hal found a Canon Rebel T5i with 18-55 AND 75-250 lens (both are IS lenses). Found it at Sam's Club tonight. Sam's Club said we could try the camera out and return for full refund within 90 days. So we purchased it. I had purchased the one through QVC today, but was able to cancel the order. Hal wanted the IS lenses and only one lens on the QVC bundle had the IS lens.

Really appreciate everyones' help and opinions on this question.

After he has tried the camera for a few days I will let you know what he decided to do ... keep or return.

I myself haven't used any STM lenses yet, but I believe the STM stepper motor is better in speed and accuracy than the "micro-motor" found on older lenses. I'd characterize it as better than the old, though not as good as the USM ultrasonic motor found on more expensive lenses.

Long story short, they're by no means top-of-the-line lenses (which focus FAST in many cases), but they're by no means slow to focus.

What do people think about STM lenses for photo's. Is the video lens focussing too slow for regular pictures?

I just got the 10-18 IS STM - it's fast and darn near silent. I'm used to hearing a lens motor so I know it's in AF mode, but this one keeps fooling me. Love this lens.

Update:

Tried out the Canon Rebel T5i today and Hal loved it. Did a bunch of test shots with both lenses and also used the video.

When I was doing some additional research on lenses/bundles, we discovered that the Canon Rebel T6i and T6s will be out in April. It had some additional features he wanted, so decided to return the T5i and wait till the T6 is available in April.

Our cruise isn't until August, so we have plenty of time.

Good call waiting for the T6i!

I just got a T5i and absolutely love the upgrade from a 6 year old Canon I enjoyed, but the focusing with video just stinks. The still AF system is great though. I don't and didn't plan on using it for video much anyways, but the video focusing system (as well as the hugely upgraded still photo focusing system) should be well worth the wait and the extra couple hundred dollars - if that.

Update:

Tried out the Canon Rebel T5i today and Hal loved it. Did a bunch of test shots with both lenses and also used the video.

When I was doing some additional research on lenses/bundles, we discovered that the Canon Rebel T6i and T6s will be out in April. It had some additional features he wanted, so decided to return the T5i and wait till the T6 is available in April.

Our cruise isn't until August, so we have plenty of time.

As long as you are waiting, you may want to check out the Sony A6000. Incredible autofocus and image quality and you can get a kit with two stabilized lenses for under $900. I moved to the NEX/Axxx series from a DSLR for travel because the image quality is the same and the camera and two lenses take up half the space as a similar small DSLR kit.

Here is a link to a review I wrote for friends:

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/a6000.html

Here's one to our recent Eastern Caribbean cruise which was shot primarily with the A6000 and backed up by the NEX-7.

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/allure

Whatever you choose, you can be at ease in knowing that it is awfully hard to find a bad camera these days!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Edited by pierces

I just got a T5i and absolutely love the upgrade from a 6 year old Canon I enjoyed, but the focusing with video just stinks. The still AF system is great though. I don't and didn't plan on using it for video much anyways, but the video focusing system (as well as the hugely upgraded still photo focusing system) should be well worth the wait and the extra couple hundred dollars - if that.

Please don't plan on using a DSLR as a camcorder. The defacto AF system for DSLRs is unavailable when shooting video, so any sort of video AF is a workaround of one form or another. There's a reason a huge market has blossomed to sell various shoulder rigs to hold DSLRs with external monitors and intricate gearing systems so the focus ring can be turned with the utmost precision without tilting the camera. Yeah, this camera or that camera might have some new innovation, but it's not going to compare to other purpose-built systems.

Besides, HD video is 2 megapixels, and today's DSLRs are pushing or breaking the 20mp barrier more often. Why keep buying more pixels if you aren't using them for video? DSLRs/lenses give naturally thinner slices of focus than the imaging sensors/lenses of legacy camcorders, so you're almost setting yourself up for more focus challenges.

I cant comment on the quality of the 75-300, but IS is not a must (and is less of a must if your subject is moving). All of my photos I took in Alaska were without IS. To overcome blur due to hand shaking and/or boat movement, you have to increase your shutter speed. If you look at the exif data of my shots taken in Alaska, you will notice that many of them were shot around 1/1000 shutter speed. There are trade offs for high shutter speed, but if you have good sunlight, you can still get some great shots.

I cant comment on the quality of the 75-300, but IS is not a must (and is less of a must if your subject is moving). All of my photos I took in Alaska were without IS. To overcome blur due to hand shaking and/or boat movement, you have to increase your shutter speed. If you look at the exif data of my shots taken in Alaska, you will notice that many of them were shot around 1/1000 shutter speed. There are trade offs for high shutter speed, but if you have good sunlight, you can still get some great shots.

Thank you for the info also.

Your photos are beautiful.

You're technically correct, but to achieve those results, one has to pay attention to the technical details of photography, and that's not what a lot of DSLR-toting Alaska cruisers want to do.

Good call waiting for the T6i!

Thank you ... he really liked the T5i.

As long as you are waiting, you may want to check out the Sony A6000. Incredible autofocus and image quality and you can get a kit with two stabilized lenses for under $900. I moved to the NEX/Axxx series from a DSLR for travel because the image quality is the same and the camera and two lenses take up half the space as a similar small DSLR kit.

Here is a link to a review I wrote for friends:

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/a6000.html

Here's one to our recent Eastern Caribbean cruise which was shot primarily with the A6000 and backed up by the NEX-7.

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/allure

Whatever you choose, you can be at ease in knowing that it is awfully hard to find a bad camera these days!

Happy shooting!

Dave

I will pass this info on to him also. Thank you.

You are so right, it really is amazing that people survived (and took great shots) for years and years WITHOUT any kind of image stabilization. And even with a crop body one should be able to get away with using shutter speeds of 1/400 or faster with no problems. Plus you should be able to bump up the iso a few clicks to help.

You're technically correct, but to achieve those results, one has to pay attention to the technical details of photography, and that's not what a lot of DSLR-toting Alaska cruisers want to do.

It takes about 5 min to learn about the exposure triangle. If you are going to spend money on a decent camera take a few minutes to learn how to use it. :roll eyes: Or, put it in "auto iso" and use shutter priority mode and set at 1/400 or faster and you will have no issues. Modern cameras can get wonderful shots at high iso's. I've pulled some useable shots (for posting on FB, not pixel peeping) at 25k iso.

TruckerDave, I have to congratulate you. You're the only person I've ever met who can learn the exposure triangle in five minutes. I've taught classes, I've done 1:1 sessions, I've watched others teach it, and it's a rare thing when people get it. Further, one has to understand which exposure mode to choose to successfully get results with the triangle; that's perhaps the biggest part of the puzzle that people don't get.

With regard to high ISOs, I respectfully disagree. Entry-level cameras (we're talking about the SL1, T5i, and the T6 variations here) aren't going to comfortably go that high, enough so that it's not safe to just set it and forget it. One has to manage it, have the habits to manage it, and balance that with other settings.

A 300mm lens on a 1.6x crop body has an effective focal length of 480mm. By the classic rule of thumb, that'd require a 1/480th (1/500th) shutter speed for a shake-free shot. Factor in some shivers and a couple of punches from a coffee card, and it's time to get that shutter speed a lot higher still (without IS).

Actually, if you can multiply and divide by two, the exposure triangle really is a five-minute learning curve. Where people need coaching is in which corner of the triangle does what to your end results and why. That may take a bit longer...:)

Compared to top end camera/lens/film combinations available 20 years ago, any modern camera is like a magic photography wand. The performance gap between the top end and the entry level is smaller than ever. It is very hard to find a bad camera from any of the major manufacturers and with the advances in the mirrorless segment, the breadth of choices that will return results only limited by the photographer's skill is vast.

It's a great time to be a photographer!

Dave