LIVE - Couple's Blog from Quantum - Feb. 20, 2015

curryshake

We went for a quick dip in the hot tubs in the solarium. It was really cold in there. A crew member explained that it was because it was "negative twenty outside." I can buy that because the place is surrounded by windows. lol The hot tub was plenty warm, so it was fine.

Listening to the reggae band again, and they're doing a Bob Marley set. We're big Marley fans and saw Ziggy Marley in concert last year at Firefly Festival, and I think these guys are as good or better.

Interesting to watch the sound engineer in 270. While the band is playing on stage, he is listening from various spots in the audience, and adjusting sound levels in real time with an iPad app. Doing a good job of it too, I'd say.

Up to how many devices does the $180 internet package cover?

It covers two devices, but the nice thing is that you can disconnect a device at any time and add another one - so it's two devices at any one time. We haven't tried that yet, but I plan to this morning. I'm going to sign off with this laptop and sign in with my phone to make it easier to post photos and small updates as we go through our day.

Only up to two devices? When i was onboard the Mariner of the Seas, it was up to three devices. I thought when you purchase the internet pckage it corresponds up to how many cruisers you are in your room. I was cruising with my brother and father for the new year of 2015.

What is the cost for the internet package? I was on the 1/23 sailing when it was free.

With my D+ discount I believe it came out to $105 for one device for length of sailing....will have to pull it up on the TV to verify.

Edited by bajathree

Day 2 - At Sea

We are just south of Richmond, VA this morning, traveling at 17.7 knots. The ship has been extremely steady the entire time. In fact, I looked outside once during the night because I was afraid we had stopped for some reason because there was so little motion.

We have one real complaint, so far. We made all of our reservations for shows, activities, and meals two months ago. When looking at them online, they were correct in one place and incorrect in another. So DH confirmed with RCI before we left that they were what we wanted. After boarding, we found a printed schedule of our reservations in our room, and it's wrong. We also looked at our reservations on the iRoyal app, and they're wrong as well - in a different way. We'll be at guest services again today because we were supposed to have a couple's treatment at the spa at 1 and Mama Mia at 4, but now our schedule says Mama Mia at 2 and no sign of our spa reservation. If that time is true for Mama Mia and our spa reservation is still good, we won't be able to do both. Frustrating, to say the least.

But I don't want to end this post on a bad note. We are really enjoying the ultimate drinks package. It covers up to $12 for any alcoholic drink and you don't have to sign anything. It also covers all other kinds of softdrinks on the ship, including Starbucks coffees at the pastry shop. I had two glasses of wine last night and was impressed by the quality. One was Pine Ridge chenin blanc/viognier blend (California). The other was a dry sparkling rose which paired well with the Asian food at Silk. I can't remember the label or varietal. I plan on taking more notes today on food and drinks.

Oops. I hardly slept at all last night (Bonine has the opposite effect on me and keeps me wide awake), but I dozed off around 4:30. When I looked at my watch a few minutes ago it said 8:30. I swear it did. So DH got up and took a shower while I wrote this. It wasn't until he got out that I noticed it was only 6:45. No wonder it was so dark out - we just thought it was really overcast (which it is).

I am EXTREMELY thankful that DH is a morning person and very easy going. He thinks it's funny I woke him up so early and is looking forward to grabbing breakfast soon. Since sleep is rare for me to come by (all the time, not just on a ship), I probably would have tossed him off the balcony if he'd done the same to me.

So there's a nap in our future sometime today and continued gratefulness toward DH (who happens to be freaking out because he can watch Big Bang Theory in German).

Just saw the Ken Rush morning show. Turns out they changed the Mama Mia showtime today from 4:30 to 2:30, because people complained it was too close to dinner time. That's great, but it overlaps with the spa appointment we made.

The TV in the room shows the correct schedule (spa is missing from the app), but now the times for that and Mama Mia overlap. Have to swing by Guest Services after breakfast.

Interesting tidbit - the shower is surrounded by clear plexiglass, so if your stateroom is laid out like ours and you left the bathroom door and balcony curtain open, you could see the ocean from in there. Most entertaining leg shaving ever!

Day 2 - At Sea

We are just south of Richmond, VA this morning, traveling at 17.7 knots. The ship has been extremely steady the entire time. In fact, I looked outside once during the night because I was afraid we had stopped for some reason because there was so little motion.

We have one real complaint, so far. We made all of our reservations for shows, activities, and meals two months ago. When looking at them online, they were correct in one place and incorrect in another. So DH confirmed with RCI before we left that they were what we wanted. After boarding, we found a printed schedule of our reservations in our room, and it's wrong. We also looked at our reservations on the iRoyal app, and they're wrong as well - in a different way. We'll be at guest services again today because we were supposed to have a couple's treatment at the spa at 1 and Mama Mia at 4, but now our schedule says Mama Mia at 2 and no sign of our spa reservation. If that time is true for Mama Mia and our spa reservation is still good, we won't be able to do both. Frustrating, to say the least.

But I don't want to end this post on a bad note. We are really enjoying the ultimate drinks package. It covers up to $12 for any alcoholic drink and you don't have to sign anything. It also covers all other kinds of softdrinks on the ship, including Starbucks coffees at the pastry shop. I had two glasses of wine last night and was impressed by the quality. One was Pine Ridge chenin blanc/viognier blend (California). The other was a dry sparkling rose which paired well with the Asian food at Silk. I can't remember the label or varietal. I plan on taking more notes today on food and drinks.

Oops. I hardly slept at all last night (Bonine has the opposite effect on me and keeps me wide awake), but I dozed off around 4:30. When I looked at my watch a few minutes ago it said 8:30. I swear it did. So DH got up and took a shower while I wrote this. It wasn't until he got out that I noticed it was only 6:45. No wonder it was so dark out - we just thought it was really overcast (which it is).

I am EXTREMELY thankful that DH is a morning person and very easy going. He thinks it's funny I woke him up so early and is looking forward to grabbing breakfast soon. Since sleep is rare for me to come by (all the time, not just on a ship), I probably would have tossed him off the balcony if he'd done the same to me.

So there's a nap in our future sometime today and continued gratefulness toward DH (who happens to be freaking out because he can watch Big Bang Theory in German).

I just looked and Mama Mia for me is showing 2:30 but I believe I had booked 4:30....my bet is that Royal IQ is wrong or that the show was moved....will have to check. This Royal IQ is quirky. Also yesterday i moved my Wonderland resi up an hour and went I went to the restaurant and they told me I had a reservation for 9 people...when I booked and pre=paid on-line for just 2...and on the sheet in my cabin it shows only paid for 1. Thats technology for you....sometimes to much isn't a good thing.

Edited by bajathree

My assumption that Mama Mia today has been moved to 2:30 looks to be correct. I just looked at todays cruise compass and it shows it at 2:30....there is no later show today. I have frequently seen show times change on Oasis and Allure....so no big surprise there.

Oh, and Ken estimated that there are about 4100 people on board. They don't have the final count yet. Which is a bit odd, considering, you know, computers and such.

Lol! That is really strange...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Curreyshake, many thanks for this great review. I wish it could hit the cruise button on my steering wheel and join you.

Tim, Courtney, and Steve have a great time. It's minus a million degrees again here today, how much more winter must we take. At least with this review, we are virtually cruising with you.

Andrew

Only up to two devices? When i was onboard the Mariner of the Seas, it was up to three devices. I thought when you purchase the internet pckage it corresponds up to how many cruisers you are in your room. I was cruising with my brother and father for the new year of 2015.

They have changed the packages, and the most devices in a package I see now are just two.

you are too funny...love your post...its like being on 2 vacations ...we get on ship 3/1...how far down til you hit warmer weather...

Not sure. The outside deck 5 is closed because of cold. It was 39 degrees out earlier, which is already balmy in comparison to what we were in yesterday.

Some thoughts about the morning crowd here so far. Windjammer was a little busy at 8:15 or so, but we didn't have to push too many old ladies out of the way to get our eggs and coffee. Easy to get a table.

Walking around the ship, it's very calm, with light pedestrian traffic in most places. A very relaxing morning here.

We noticed that Cafe 270 was almost empty around 8:45-9:00. Stopped and got some lattes to carry around the ship on our stroll. Might have to try breakfast there, as they have breakfast sandwiches, pastries, bagels, fruit, cereal, coffee, etc.