LIVE - Couple's Blog from Quantum - Feb. 20, 2015

curryshake

A word about the public bathrooms - many of the doors don't lock. Those that do show red on the outside, a la portapotty technology. Still, people don't seem to be figuring this out. The automated flushing works intermittently. I think you have to say a Voodoo chant and stand on one foot.

And I've invented a new game called "Drunk or land legs?" wherein you have to guess the cause of a fellow passenger's weaving. Seriously not sure sometimes.

I am LOVING you and hubby's reviews:) we get on March 1st and I have been reading all the live blogs! Thanks for taking the time to share the witty repartee!

I laughed right out loud at the invention of your new game! Glad you are having fun! Can't wait till next Sunday!!

Next time you're at Vintages, will you check and see if your drink package can be used on the automated wine dispensers, the ones that let you select different sized pours from the various bottles? We're sailing on Quantum next week and it looks like some of my favorite wines aren't available by the glass in Vintages this time, so I'm hoping I can use the machines instead.

Thanks!

We're enjoying a nice lunch in the Windjammer at the moment. The turkey paninis were yummy. DW is hunting down some cookies for us now. 'Best oatmeal cookies in the universe', says she. And I agree. We also felt obliged to try the lemon slice and chocolate sensation desserts, as they were looking neglected. You can't say we're not kind people.

Next time you're at Vintages, will you check and see if your drink package can be used on the automated wine dispensers, the ones that let you select different sized pours from the various bottles? We're sailing on Quantum next week and it looks like some of my favorite wines aren't available by the glass in Vintages this time, so I'm hoping I can use the machines instead.

Thanks!

Drink packages cannot be used on the automated wine dispensers, nor for any glass of wine less than a full sized (5oz) glass.

What is the policy concerning drink prices over 12$ if you have a package. Do you have to pay the full price - or just the difference to 12$ plus the gratuity for difference?

You just have to pay the difference. We had $18 glasses of wine last night, so it only cost us an additional $6 per glass. It would be very easy to stay below the $12 limit, if you wanted.

I am LOVING you and hubby's reviews:) we get on March 1st and I have been reading all the live blogs! Thanks for taking the time to share the witty repartee!

I laughed right out loud at the invention of your new game! Glad you are having fun! Can't wait till next Sunday!!

Thanks! We aim to please.

Thanks!

In fact, no, the drink packages can not be used for the automated wine dispensers, according to the Vintages staff. But the staff can serve you any wines in them with the package. I've actually been meaning to point that out. Speaking of Vintages, we've really enjoyed the wines and the atmosphere there. It's the perfect place for a pre-dinner wine. If you don't feel like sitting at the bar, table or couch in there, you can take it across the hall to one of the many comfy chairs and couches. Or take it for a walk to your next destination.

The restaurant in the MDR on Royal has an excellent salad bar. Its only open on sea days. Don't pass it up. We loved it. You point out what you want, and they put it together before you. So it's not a typical salad bar experience.

Again loving the dual review. Very fun to read.

Sent using trained typing rabbits.

Edited by DreamingBig1

In fact, no, the drink packages can not be used for the automated wine dispensers, according to the Vintages staff. But the staff can serve you any wines in them with the package. I've actually been meaning to point that out. Speaking of Vintages, we've really enjoyed the wines and the atmosphere there. It's the perfect place for a pre-dinner wine. If you don't feel like sitting at the bar, table or couch in there, you can take it across the hall to one of the many comfy chairs and couches. Or take it for a walk to your next destination.

That's a weird rule. Good to know you can still get those wines, though, you just have to ask. Really excited to hear about Vintages - we absolutely loved it on the Allure last year. Great atmosphere, and it seemed like the staff really enjoyed working there, they were some of the friendliest crew members on board.

Thanks for letting me know!

The restaurant in the MDR on Royal has an excellent salad bar. Its only open on sea days. Don't pass it up. We loved it. You point out what you want, and they put it together before you. So it's not a typical salad bar experience.

Again loving the dual review. Very fun to read.

Sent using trained typing rabbits.

There's no MDR in Quantum though......

I have one VERY important question, burning a hole in my brain,

And until answered their will be countless nights of restless

Sleep.....haha

Where can you get Eggs Benedict for breakfast on this ship?!

We used to go to the MDR for it, but since their isn't one??

Or, do I have to start making Hollandaise now , to pack? And assemble elsewhere? LOL

Ripcord was cool. I really enjoyed being in the tunnel, but honestly the funnest part for me was being dressed in a "flight suit" with a helmet, goggles, and earplugs, sealed off from the world and walking in a line with the other fliers out into the bright sunlight in and up the flight of stairs in front of a waiting audience. All I could hear was the sound of my own breathing. For a moment I felt like an astronaut getting ready to blast off, and it was awesome.

But I'm strange like that. :)

The ship is rocking more and more. There are a lot of creaking sounds in stairwells and elevator areas. I hope that stops before long. Some astronaut I would make.

I've decided that 270 (Two70, if I want to spend more time typing) is my favorite place on the ship. It's so calm and relaxing, it's easy to get a snack or coffee or a drink at the bar, there are many types of chairs and cozy spaces to choose from, and the view of the ship's wake is lovely. In the evenings when there isn't a show going on in here, they lower screens over the windows and project mesmerizing and slightly bizarre video loops. And there's always ambient background music.

My second favorite place is the Solarium. The pools and plants are lovely and relaxing and it's nice to get in and out of the hot tubs and then read in a lounge chair.

RCI beats Disney hands down at providing relaxing spaces. But I guess part of that is due to all the kids on Disney (and I can say that as a parent of two awesome teens - hi boys! we heard about the big snowstorm!). I really didn't expect anything so calm and restful on a ship with over 4000 people, and I'm LOVING it.

Edited by curryshake