LIVE - Couple's Blog from Quantum - Feb. 20, 2015

curryshake

We are now sitting in 270, having had a quick sandwich from Cafe 270. We arrived at the port at 10:45 and stepped onto the ship at 11:59. It was rather confusing going through the terminal, despite all the descriptions we'd read from other people's experiences. We didn't see any people with tablets at all and ended up waiting in line behind people who hadn't done much of the preboarding process ahead of time.

The lady who handled our paperwork asked if either of us had "the ebola." I burst out laughing, unintentionally. Luckily she laughed too. Time to see if we can get into our stateroom.

Got in the car this morning, hit the Cruise button, and now we're on the ship.55647e2176cb0ac9e159d91becf8fb5e.jpg

Love it! 😄 I can tell that we are going to love reading this live. Thanks for taking the time out of your vacation fun. We get on when you get off on March 1... Long range forecast calling for snow then:eek:

Some robot named Ralph made me a very nice whiskey beverage. Thanks Ralph!

Now we're lounging on a big, comfy couch across from Vintages, enjoying our drinks. Lots of people strolling by, still in coats.

Having the drink package is very nice so far. I popped over to Vintages, asked for a bottle of water, gave him my card, and was out of there in 20 seconds. No receipt to sign. Nice.

We rode bumper cars. On. A. Ship. They were the fastest bumper cars I've ever been in. What a blast.

Then we went to guest services because both of our wristbands were in my name. It was frantic and poorly organized with no lines and people shuffling us to different people with iPads, but they fixed the problem quickly and we were on our way.

I'm now lying on a giant couch, drinking a cocktail made by a robot. More photos tonight.

8fd7b881323e900922fe583fed9d6093.jpg

Cap'n says we're leaving 30 minutes late, waiting for all the food and supplies to be loaded. Muster drill was smooth, now grabbing a snack in the Windjammer, since we have a late dinner reservation tonight. That's our excuse, anyway.

We had a great view of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan from Windjammer as we pulled away at 4:30. The cookies were amazing!

My wrist band isn't working now (DH's is, though it wasn't before), so we're considering another trip back to guest services. Honestly, I always carry a small purse and the card works better for some things anyhow, so I might not bother.

A few differences I've noticed about RCI in comparison to cruising with Disney:

- there are fewer kids on RCI (of course)

- I felt old, fat, and out of shape on Disney; here I feel young, thin, and spritely

- the crew members don't frown at you here when you order a drink; everyone is ordering drinks!

- the passengers here seem to be from all over the world, which is awesome!

I think we've been almost everywhere on the ship. I haven't been disappointed by anything yet. The captain said it's 18 degrees outside, but that we're headed to warmer seas - 26 degrees tomorrow! Oh joy! :)

Time to unpack.

We started the evening with some wine at Vintages. Loved the atmosphere there (as well as the wine). It wasn't crowded, but there were enough people there to give it some life.

After that we wandered aft to 270, where we found some fun cocktails. (I'm enjoying the Smoke and Mirrors - bourbon with hickory-smoked syrup and bitters.) Right as the drinks came, the reggae band fired up.

270 itself is very transformed from when we were here for lunch. The screens are down on the big aft windows, and the projectors are working overtime. There are plenty of comfortable chairs and couches, and the sound system is making my ears happy. People are filing in, subtly dancing to a Bob Marley tune, and the swing is swinging to the beat.

After this, our first cut at Dynamic Dining, starting at Silk.

Edited by ftn807

I'm on board as well! We are having a blast so far. The ship is BEAUTIFUL. I absolutely love the Esplanade. Basically from my side of the ship you walk through the shops and then the esplanade opens up onto all of the restaurants. It is amazing! The solarium is beautiful and the rest of the pool deck is great as well. Royal IQ is working really well also (minus tracking bags) and all of my reservations exist.

I had so much fun listening to the reggae music at 270. It was a little heavy on synth, but I liked their reggae-style covers of some Mowtown classics.

We had dinner at Silk. The server told us that the appetizers were family style and meant to share, so we ordered only one and then couldn't understand why she kept asking if we wanted more than one appetizer. We got shrimp shumai and she brought out a small portion just for me. Luckily, we get full easily, so that was fine. That course was okay, but not great.

I ordered the sweet and sour chicken and they brought out the wrong order. Service was excellent otherwise, and three people came over to correct the order and I had the problem was resolved in five minutes. It was very dry and not very flavorful. DH thought the duck was mediocre.

The highlight of the meal was dessert. I got the strawberry matcha pound cake, and it was light, very flavorful, and fun.

We're back in the room now, changing for a swim. We've noticed that the schedule they gave us in the room doesn't match our reservations. DH called RCI before we left to make sure our reservations were all in place. The Royal IQ app is more accurate, but doesn't show our spa appointment. I'm not sure how much I trust it, since it still shows that DH's suitcase is back on the pier (it's in the room), but I guess another trip to guest services might be in order.