No Excurions??

Tel1234

Hello

We are booked to go on the Mediterranean Adventurer on the Caribbean Princess departing on 30 May. Just organising excursions only to find that nothing is available for two of the six ports - Marseille and Gibraltar. I phoned and was told we could 'do our own thing'. As my husband is not very mobile this is not very likely. Really disappointed, and half thinking about cancelling. Our first and maybe last time with Princess.

I was told that they did not know why, which I find hard to believe. I have emailed customer services but I think it is unacceptable. I am less than impressed with their attitude too.

Hello

We are booked to go on the Mediterranean Adventurer on the Caribbean Princess departing on 30 May. Just organising excursions only to find that nothing is available for two of the six ports - Marseille and Gibraltar. I phoned and was told we could 'do our own thing'. As my husband is not very mobile this is not very likely. Really disappointed, and half thinking about cancelling. Our first and maybe last time with Princess.

I was told that they did not know why, which I find hard to believe. I have emailed customer services but I think it is unacceptable. I am less than impressed with their attitude too.

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2115027

Usually lots of forming of tours done and lots of info exchanged.

You are going to cancel because Princess does not have tours in 2 ports?

There is lots of info here on CC in the ports section as well.

To each his own I guess. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Are they saying there never were any excursions? Or they are all sold out (which is definitely possible for this time frame). If sold out, they may have communicated better but not much they can do. On the more exotic itineraries they can sell out quite early, and it's difficult for the lines to expand their bookings with vendors.

That said, we never do ship excursions anyway, you may want to check the roll call and port of call forums for private excursions with room.

The Princess website shows 7 excursions for Gibraltar. For your cruise, they probably have not finished finalizing prices or providers yet. Keep checking....sometimes excursions don't show up until 70 out.

I am sure that they will have something that you might enjoy. We loved our day there.

Are they saying there never were any excursions? Or they are all sold out (which is definitely possible for this time frame). If sold out, they may have communicated better but not much they can do. On the more exotic itineraries they can sell out quite early, and it's difficult for the lines to expand their bookings with vendors.

That said, we never do ship excursions anyway, you may want to check the roll call and port of call forums for private excursions with room.

No, they def. said on the phone that there are no excursions for those 2 ports. All the others are on the website. I am just really disappointed.

Thanks for the response.

Odds are the ship will offer excursions, but I know it is easy to find Gibraltar tours at the end of the pier. We, four of us, did so last year and had a great tour with more flexibility and at a lower price than anything Princess offered. (Sorry, I don't recall the price just know it was significantly less.).

I don't know about Marseilles.

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2115027

Usually lots of forming of tours done and lots of info exchanged.

You are going to cancel because Princess does not have tours in 2 ports?

There is lots of info here on CC in the ports section as well.

To each his own I guess. :(

Hello

Thanks for responding. There are only 6 ports, so 2 is quite a percentage! We always do the tours as it makes life easier with my husband who can really own do the coach tours. I was really irritated when I realised that there was nothing planned, but I don't think we will cancel. But good idea, will go and join the roll call. Thanks again

No Marseille Princess excursions showing yet for the May 9 Emerald from Barcelona either, and some private tours were cancelled by provider for that port day as well. Hopefully, this will be sorted out for everyone. Not unusual though to be 60 days out or less before tours show up. Keep checking.

No Marseille Princess excursions showing yet for the May 9 Emerald from Barcelona either, and some private tours were cancelled by provider for that port day as well. Hopefully, this will be sorted out for everyone. Not unusual though to be 60 days out or less before tours show up. Keep checking.

You can easy spend day in Marseille, really don't need to waste money for excursion. Walk around old port area, have trip uphill to Notre-dam de la gard, have lunch with bouillabaisse in one of hundred places around old port, walk through La Canebiere- all easy. If you still have time after that- visit Longchamp park

Hi,

I have a feeling that Princess will still add excursions for these ports. I visited Gibraltar on the maiden voyage of the Royal Princess in June 2013 and a variety of excursions were offered. This is an interesting port. The shore excursions are a major revenue stream for the cruise lines. It would be extremely unusual for a cruise line not to offer excursions in these main ports.

I recommend that you periodically check your booking on the Princess website for shore excursions for these ports. I know from past experience that shore excursions for a particular cruise are added at different times.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

You can easy spend day in Marseille, really don't need to waste money for excursion. Walk around old port area, have trip uphill to Notre-dam de la gard, have lunch with bouillabaisse in one of hundred places around old port, walk through La Canebiere- all easy. If you still have time after that- visit Longchamp park

Her husband has mobility issues. Not everyone can just "walk around."

We too have found that our May 9th cruise to the Med does not offer excursions in Marseille for our port day. I have found through research that there are 3 other ships in port that day, and that may be part of the reason that excursions are at a premium. Through research, I have also seen that the port area is not huge, so maybe there just aren't a lot of options extended to visitors. Just guessing, but I truly hope you will enjoy your cruise and find a way to get into town and see what it's all about.

Hello

We went to Gibraltar unexpectedly in 2011 but had a great tour in vans which are able to get up the rock. It cost £22 for about 3 hours and we were dropped back to the town centre. There were buses back to the ship.

We have been to Gibraltar multiple times with Princess and there were always excursions available, from whale watching to exploring WWII tunnels to going to the area with the apes.

I find it hard to understand why no tours are available this year unless there are problems with the contracts.

Also hard to understand about Marseille as many of the excursions normally there take you out of the city.

The OP may want to look at the Cruise Critic board port threads area for the threads that covers these two cities. May be able to find suggestions for private tour providers that can meet the OP's needs.

Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply.

There are now excursions (think that is how it is spelt!) showing to Marseille, and indeed have booked one today.

Think we will book Gib. as and when we arrive as the quotes I have had have been on the high side. although I guess at this rate some may well show nearer departure time. (less than 100 days to go)

Best wishes