How to Avoid Crowds and Such on the Carnival Sunshine?

FuturzMinion

Hi CC,

Got some questions. I've read a lot of troubling reviews about the Carnival Sunshine being crowded. Now, I absolutely HATE crowds, so how do I avoid them, and when is the prime time do go to certain places on the ship while avoiding them? And how do I make sure I don't run into the ATD* rush?

Thanks,

Futurz

PS: Sorry for the large amount of questions recently. Excited for my next cruise; first on a ship bigger than 100,000 GT'S!!

*Anytime Dining

Hi CC,

Got some questions. I've read a lot of troubling reviews about the Carnival Sunshine being crowded. Now, I absolutely HATE crowds, so how do I avoid them, and when is the prime time do go to certain places on the ship while avoiding them? And how do I make sure I don't run into the ATD* rush?

Thanks,

Futurz

PS: Sorry for the large amount of questions recently. Excited for my next cruise; first on a ship bigger than 100,000 GT'S!!

*Anytime Dining

The only crowds I experienced was during sea days at the pool area. You might want to show up extra early for the shows in the theatre and comedy club as they are both really small. On the Sunshine for ATD you have to check in at the Taste Bar. I usually go right at 5:45 to avoid the rush.

The only crowds I experienced was during sea days at the pool area. You might want to show up extra early for the shows in the theatre and comedy club as they are both really small. On the Sunshine for ATD you have to check in at the Taste Bar. I usually go right at 5:45 to avoid the rush.

Okay, thank you for your help very much! Now, in your opinion, is set dining better and easier than Anytime Dining? I had the latter on my last cruise and it was very nice, yet I still do yearn to have the same waiter every night.

Thanks!

Avoid Spring Break, very crowded with lots of kids. My guess is that Summer would be same. Would recommend assigned dining time to avoid crowds. This ship was not designed for anytime dining, they use one dining room for ATD and the upper level of the other for ATD overflow.

As excited as I am about the Sunshine, I already know there will be crowds to deal with at some point when we sail her. No way to avoid them all together although I have plans in mind to minimize dealing with them as best I can. However if I "absolutely hated" them, I would probably pick another ship.

ATD on Sunshine gets some of the worse reviews of any ATD dining experience I've read about on any ship. I personally would never choose ATD on the Sunshine even if it was normally my preference.

Just off the Sunshine Sunday. After watching the crowds doing YTD (and we had assigned late) I would do assigned for sure. We went to the shows between 20-25 minutes early and had seats in the front. Only show we arrived just minutes before it started we still had decent seats on main level.

Pool area on sea days is crowded - but that happens on most ships. We loved getting our daytime food on the Lido and going to the very back of the ship. Nice air-conditioned area with windows all around. Omelets back there were very good at breakfast.

Atrium is SMALL. It does have the bar and seating. After the Freedom with the dance floor area in the atrium this was a big surprise to us. The "entertainment" for the atrium was actually on the 4th deck in a "cove" overlooking the atrium.

We were OK with the Sunshine and Cruise Director Jaime Dee is awesome. Never stopping, so full of energy and talking to people all over the ship. Don't remember if you said when you were sailing and she's leaving shortly for a couple of weeks, back for a couple and then off this summer.

Enjoy your cruise.

As excited as I am about the Sunshine, I already know there will be crowds to deal with at some point when we sail her. No way to avoid them all together although I have plans in mind to minimize dealing with them as best I can. However if I "absolutely hated" them, I would probably pick another ship.

ATD on Sunshine gets some of the worse reviews of any ATD dining experience I've read about on any ship. I personally would never choose ATD on the Sunshine even if it was normally my preference.

We usually do ATD for the flexibility but I'm thinking of changing to the late seating now. I don't want to deal with checking in on one level then going to another to wait for a table. Too much trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off the Sunshine Sunday. After watching the crowds doing YTD (and we had assigned late) I would do assigned for sure. We went to the shows between 20-25 minutes early and had seats in the front. Only show we arrived just minutes before it started we still had decent seats on main level.

Pool area on sea days is crowded - but that happens on most ships. We loved getting our daytime food on the Lido and going to the very back of the ship. Nice air-conditioned area with windows all around. Omelets back there were very good at breakfast.

Atrium is SMALL. It does have the bar and seating. After the Freedom with the dance floor area in the atrium this was a big surprise to us. The "entertainment" for the atrium was actually on the 4th deck in a "cove" overlooking the atrium.

We were OK with the Sunshine and Cruise Director Jaime Dee is awesome. Never stopping, so full of energy and talking to people all over the ship. Don't remember if you said when you were sailing and she's leaving shortly for a couple of weeks, back for a couple and then off this summer.

Enjoy your cruise.

Do you know who is replacing Jaime Dee? What type of cabin did you have and where? Did you like it.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.

Hi CC,

Thanks,

Futurz

*Anytime Dining

There are SO many other ships to chose from, if you want to avoid that over overcrowding, pick another ship.

There's nothing on that ship that would make me book it over another.

Hi CC,

Thanks,

Futurz

*Anytime Dining

Congratulations on your next cruise! I've always thought the anticipation of a cruise is half the fun.

I cruised on Sunshine over New Years 2014 in a 1A cabin (1606). This was the only 1A I've ever stayed in that had a king sized bed. So that was a pleasant surprise.

I really enjoyed my Sunshine cruise. I loved the waterfall in the adult Serenity area. It is very relaxing and enjoyable. I'm not a fan of the shows, so I can't comment on that. But I did not experience any severe crowding issues and the ship was sold out. The best advice for Sunshine is like any other ship. Just try to do things during non-peak times, like don't show up to eat during peak times. ATD on most ships will form a line in advance of the doors opening, so wait until that dies down before you show up to eat. The line for sea day brunch was the same.

I guess I was enjoying the 2.0 upgrades so much that I didn't think about crowds. Guys and the cantina are great. Be sure to try Cucina too. You can eat there for free at lunch. They will give you a pager after you place your order so you can hang out somewhere comfortable until they page you that your food is ready. Your food is cooked to order and is hot and fresh, so it is worth the wait. (try the lasagna) There is a pleasant, large seating area right there in that area with great views out the back of the ship.

I always avoid the Lido pool area during peak times like on sea days. I never had trouble finding a lounge chair on quieter higher decks though. That's the case on all the ships I've been on though and is not unique to Sunshine.

I wouldn't stress about crowds. Just follow common sense principles and you'll have a great time. I'll bet you'll be having so much fun that you won't even think about it much.

Hope you have a great cruise on Sunshine in June.

We never had crowds at our assigned 6:00 dining. Waiting for the shows to open their doors, we were in a crowd waiting to get in. The venues are pretty small (theater and comedy), but the shows are good. If you have trouble with crowds, I wouldn't go early and stand in a line for 30 minutes. Go right before showtime and hope for an empty seat. The spa level rooms are very secluded. We had a spa balcony and never saw anyone else in the hallway other than our cabin stewards. Serenity has quite a few "niches" that were tucked away and secluded. At lido buffet, get your food, and go all the way through the Havana bar area. It'll look like you are carrying your food into the elevator/stairs area, but it is more open there with plenty of seating.

Okay, thank you for your help very much! Now, in your opinion, is set dining better and easier than Anytime Dining? I had the latter on my last cruise and it was very nice, yet I still do yearn to have the same waiter every night.

Thanks!

Our last cruise we chose anytime dining and even though it is anytime they still seem to sit you in waves. Every night I saw large amounts of people in various times waiting to go in and be sat down. We personally waited 30 minutes one night. Also as you may already know you won't sit in the same place more than once (normally). Even though we don't like to be told when to eat we will go back to one of the set time dining times and monitor our next ship and how they handle anytime dining.

I actually didn't mind a different place to sit because we met a new couple every night (cruisers are very open for them most part), but had different servers so we didn't really get a connection with a certain team, so if you are in to that you may be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Do you know who is replacing Jaime Dee? What type of cabin did you have and where? Did you like it.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.

I don't remember who she said would be there and the Cruise Directors Schedule that John Heald posts ends this month.

We had a 4J on deck 7. Since we had my scooter it was a handicap cabin and right next to the doors to the "secret deck". People simply do NOT shut those doors quietly but on the bright side, hardly anyone goes out there. YES, I liked the cabin, just keep in mind that there were lots of complaints of the cabins in a lot of the categories were smaller than most. Example, a Breeze 4J is much larger than those on the Sunshine. Insides were the same way, seems so much smaller than other ships.

We always pick late dining as we love having the same waiters and getting to know them, they are normally really funny. On our last Carnival cruise our Waiter taught us magic tricks and always gave us extra mains and desserts to try :) Our drinks waiter sang songs to us which made us laugh every day.

We've never had an issue with late dining, the last thing I'd want to do on a cruise is wait in a crowd to eat dinner, if you have the late dining you can just walk straight in and sit at your table, your waiter also learns the type of foods you like so can recommend stuff that they think you will like. You can also eat lunch quite late without ruining your appetite for dinner :)

We never had crowds at our assigned 6:00 dining. Waiting for the shows to open their doors, we were in a crowd waiting to get in. The venues are pretty small (theater and comedy), but the shows are good. If you have trouble with crowds, I wouldn't go early and stand in a line for 30 minutes. Go right before showtime and hope for an empty seat. The spa level rooms are very secluded. We had a spa balcony and never saw anyone else in the hallway other than our cabin stewards. Serenity has quite a few "niches" that were tucked away and secluded. At lido buffet, get your food, and go all the way through the Havana bar area. It'll look like you are carrying your food into the elevator/stairs area, but it is more open there with plenty of seating.

Why I am so excited to have gotten a Spa Balcony on this ship..Orginailly we were booked on deck 8, balcony, then I noticed the prices went down , ran it by the hubby and he said the most magical words, " babe whatever you want"! So I didn't think twice! Also we've gotten spa balconies before on the Breeze and LOVED it!! Very quiet up there , very!!

I do not have experience with the Sunshine, but I know exactly how you feel.

I love cruising but hate crowds and intentionally pick my ships based on square footage per person. I find that my cruises are so much more enjoyable on ships that have a larger square footage to passenger ratio like the Pride and the Conquest.

Futurz, what's your exact sailing date on the Sunshine? I see in your signature that you'll be sailing in June, but it doesn't say the exact sailing date. The reason I mention it is that Jaime Dee will be there for most of June. She signs off on June 27th.

I hope you get to sail with Jaime... she is the best that Carnival has got! Introduce yourself to her early in the cruise and get to be friends. She's the friendliest person you will ever meet. She bought a round of drinks for my family when we cruised with her!

Regarding the crowding issue... a few things come to mind:

First, if you can afford it, get a balcony cabin or better. That way, if the crowds and all the noise and craziness on deck start to bug you, you can just retreat to the peace and quiet of your own private balcony.

Second, zig when everyone else zags. Think about what everyone does on a cruise ship, and do something different. Be the first guy in line for anytime dining when it opens. Or go the complete other way and use the pool or the Jacuzzis at 6 PM when everyone else is going to dinner... and wait to eat your dinner until much later after the rush.

Wear a swimsuit under your clothes on embarkation day, so you can use the pool when you first get onboard. Everyone else's swim suit will be in their luggage, which won't be delivered for hours.

Finally, bring a Kindle or a tablet for reading books. Show up WAY EARLY for shows so you can get the best seats, and then just relax and read a book until the show starts.

I hope that's helpful!

Thanks!

I like set dining better (especially on the Sunshine. I like having the same waiters and sitting with the same people every night.

You can still have the same waiters every night with anytime dining... if you get there early enough. Just make note of the table number you are at on the first night, and then ask to be seated at that same table each night after that.

It doesn't work if you show up later in the evening... as there is often somebody at that table already. But if you get there early, when all the tables are basically available... you'll almost always get a specific table that you ask for.

Edited by Spaniel Lover

Futurz, what's your exact sailing date on the Sunshine? I see in your signature that you'll be sailing in June, but it doesn't say the exact sailing date. The reason I mention it is that Jaime Dee will be there for most of June. She signs off on June 27th.

I hope you get to sail with Jaime... she is the best that Carnival has got! Introduce yourself to her early in the cruise and get to be friends. She's the friendliest person you will ever meet. She bought a round of drinks for my family when we cruised with her!

First, if you can afford it, get a balcony cabin or better. That way, if the crowds and all the noise and craziness on deck start to bug you, you can just retreat to the peace and quiet of your own private balcony.

Second, zig when everyone else zags. Think about what everyone does on a cruise ship, and do something different. Be the first guy in line for anytime dining when it opens. Or go the complete other way and use the pool or the Jacuzzis at 6 PM when everyone else is going to dinner... and wait to eat your dinner until much later after the rush.

Wear a swimsuit under your clothes on embarkation day, so you can use the pool when you first get onboard. Everyone else's swim suit will be in their luggage, which won't be delivered for hours.

Finally, bring a Kindle or a tablet for reading books. Show up WAY EARLY for shows so you can get the best seats, and then just relax and read a book until the show starts.

I hope that's helpful!

Those are really great suggestions! I think I will try some of them when we sail next week. Thanks for the ideas!

You might be too late to choose assigned dining time. We booked the Sunshine 4+ months out and it was all taken, we had no choice but ATD. As others have said, go early or go late.

If your budget allows for it go to the specialty restaurants a few nights. In our experience on the Sunshine they were never crowded. Most nights you didn't even need a reservation, although we still made them. That really helped us.

As someone else said, if you have a balcony enjoy that. We loved ours and spent a lot of time out there that may have been spent on a sundeck on another ship. Don't tell anybody but I actually dragged the couch cushion off the couch and onto the balcony to lay on. It was super comfy. Before I get a ton of flack for that, it was a dry day and I was careful to make sure I didn't get it dirty or wet, I laid down towels just to be sure. I also slid it very low to the floor so the wind wouldn't take it away from me.

I hope that's helpful!

I am sailing on the 6th of June. And thank you for the tips, I will consider them. I love the idea of using the Pool & Jacuzzi while everyone is at dinner, I always figured that with the Sunshine's small pool it would be crowded.