Rough waters in Alaska?

lorri111

The Inside Passage is sheltered by Vancouver Island. The only place you may run into rough seas is going through Hecate Strait north of Vancouver Island before you get leeward of Haida Gwai. Then once again you're sheltered in the Alaska Panhandle area. So a few hours at most.

Of course that depends upon your idea of rough seas.

Edited by avcruz

Hi, can anyone advise on what sea conditions are likely to be doing a one way cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage in May?

We have cruised the Inside Passage from Vancouver to Anchorage twice (2009/2011), both in May. Neither cruise seemed to be rough at all for us and my husband is prone to motion/sea sickness. Maybe it was our location or maybe not. Both times we were on the Island/Coral in C727 the furthest starboard aft mini on the Caribe deck.

In May 2013 we took a round trip from Seattle and we sailed west of Vancouver Island. We were on the Star in E729 which was virtually the same or similar location as on the Island and the Coral. On this cruise, my husband spent one day in bed due to motion/sea sickness. We would attribute it to the larger waters west of Vancouver Island.

Hope that this helps you.

Sue

You absolutely can run into rough sailing, and there is NO way to predict what YOU will encounter. If prone to motion sickness, the only advice is to take precautions. Consult a health care professional for the best option for you.

Beginning or end of May? That can make a difference. We (in Alaska) don't typically still have snow in May, but it can happen. By the end, we usually have nice weather. It's hit or miss, though, and the weather forecasts are constantly wrong (especially this winter). All of this to say, weather affects the seas. Be prepared for rough seas, but in my 5 Alaska cruises, I've only encountered a few rough times, and they were only for a few hours while traversing the confluence the last sea day going Northbound or the first sea day Southbound. Bring ginger capsules or something stronger just in case, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Even cruising in August... my legs were kinda funny for a few days from the rocking ships. Yes open waters from Port Hardy to Ketchikan is the worst segment going to the Pan Handle. Asking the captain to slow down does not help.

As BudgetQueen said, it can be calm and it can be rough. We have only done one cruise in Alaska and the seas were really rough exactly where a lot of ppl on these boards claim they can never be rough...We had no problem leaving Seward. But between Hubbard glacier and Juneau the seas were really rough. People didn't go to eat because there were so many people suffering from sea sickness. we were doing fine with our sea bands. Another night, also in "sheltered water" the waves were so bad that people were leaving the theater. My point is, just because others have had very easy sailings and glass like water doesn't mean that's what you'll have, so you should be prepared with sea bands/medication/ginger pills or whatever method you use in case of motion sickness.

As BudgetQueen said, it can be calm and it can be rough. We have only done one cruise in Alaska and the seas were really rough exactly where a lot of ppl on these boards claim they can never be rough...We had no problem leaving Seward. But between Hubbard glacier and Juneau the seas were really rough. People didn't go to eat because there were so many people suffering from sea sickness. we were doing fine with our sea bands. Another night, also in "sheltered water" the waves were so bad that people were leaving the theater. My point is, just because others have had very easy sailings and glass like water doesn't mean that's what you'll have, so you should be prepared with sea bands/medication/ginger pills or whatever method you use in case of motion sickness.

Yes, I am a little intolerant of some claims that it should be "smooth sailing" or that you "should" be fine- because they were. :) Most reports are from 1 cruise a year, hardly represents much based on overall trends. bottom line- you are on water. Expect movement. Again, if prone to any motion sickness, take precautions.

We have sailed 3 times in Alaska. We had perfect sailing twice and the third was very rough for a few hours. It was my first cruise where they had actually put barf bags by the elevators. We get a RX from our Dr. For the patches that go behind the ear and we had no motion sickness at all. Like everyone else has said there is no way to tell if it will be rough or calm. Happy sailing!

Hi, can anyone advise on what sea conditions are likely to be doing a one way cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage in May?

IMO you have a pretty good chance of a little bit of bumpy water after you leave Hubbard Glacier. If it is rough anywhere that is where it will happen.

(unless of course a storm blows in and then all bets are off)

I would just like to put my 2 cents in. I cannot travel or cruise (which I love) This will be my 6th cruise - Alaska in May. I take motion sickness pills Bonine. I used to take the Dram*** which do not last, effect my stomach, have to take with the right food, etc. Bonine can be taken on empty stomach, and only have to be taken 1 every 24 hours. No headaches, no side effects. I love them.

Are the sea bands over the counter or by prescription?

Thank you

We've been on 9 cruises to Alaska at various times of the summer cruise season and have run into some pretty rough seas and have also run into some very calm seas. Early in the cruise season it can be very rough. I've never gotten sea sick but my wife felt a little sick one day. We don't any sea sick pills or patch's