Coki or Sapphie Beach with Kids

LuCruise

Just starting to do some research on beaches at St Thomas. Two beaches that popped out as being beautiful are Coki Beach and Sapphie Beach. We will be coming with our kids who will be 10.5 and 6.5 years. Our younger one is just starting to learn to swim (doesn't swim along yet) and so I assume she'll still be quite a novice swimmer a year from now.

So which beach is better for us keeping in mind:

• No sudden drops of the sand in the water
  • Not too rough waves
  • Clean beach
  • Clean and accessible washroom
  • Somewhere to grab a light lunch
  • Water toys such as inflatables are a bonus

Haven't been to Sapphire, but Coki beach has all of the above (except water toys). It is a "busy" beach, if you're looking for that vibe. Another place to consider that's quieter is Secret Harbour resort. You can rent chairs there & they have a bar & grill. Waves anywhere would depend on the winds -- I know it can get wavy at Coki beach (but the day we were there was beautiful). Also, Coki is right next to the SeaAquarium if that's something you'd want to do with the kids, too.

Coki beach is right next to Coral World. We went to Coral World first and rented a locker for a couple of dollars. Your wristband for admission is good for allday. We stayed a couple of hours, went to Coki for a while and went back to Coral World for a shower before going elsewhere. Worth the $20 admission (for adults )

Sapphire is absolutely beautiful, but I am not sure it has all you are looking for. The public restrooms there aren't the best and waves can get a little higher at times. Coki is a very pretty beach but can get very crowded if there are several ships in port. Coral World could be fun for your kids and there are several options for food/light lunch. I don't think either beach has inflatable toys for kids, but I've never really paid attention to that.

St. Thomas has many pretty beaches. One kid friendly beach that has good amenities is Emerald/Lindberg. The water is calm and gently deepens. It is closer to the ports and, if I remember correctly, has a playground at one end. But, no, it is not as pretty as Sapphire or Coki, IMO.

I did Coral World and Coki Beach with my 3 kids and husband. My kids were 6, 4, and 1 1/2. The beach was perfect for them. They played in the shallow edges and loved having the waves crash over them. They both didn't know how to swim but knew they needed to keep their heads above water. I just hung back in the deeper water about 10ft away watching them enjoy themselves. They loved playing the in powdery sand also. There are showers and bathroom facilities right there which makes it very convenient.

We did Coral World first and really enjoyed it. It's not a big place but perfect for young ones. We relaxed the beach afterwards. It was our favorite day of the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did Coral World and Coki Beach with my 3 kids and husband. My kids were 6, 4, and 1 1/2. The beach was perfect for them. They played in the shallow edges and loved having the waves crash over them. They both didn't know how to swim but knew they needed to keep their heads above water. I just hung back in the deeper water about 10ft away watching them enjoy themselves. They loved playing the in powdery sand also. There are showers and bathroom facilities right there which makes it very convenient.

We did Coral World first and really enjoyed it. It's not a big place but perfect for young ones. We relaxed the beach afterwards. It was our favorite day of the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This sounds like a perfect plan. Had never heard of Coral World, but just did a search and it looks like something fun to do for half a day. I'm sure it's a bit touristy thing but very smart to put it next to a beach....and may be a bit busy. From searches, it looks like there are two other ships in port that day (Disney Fantasy and Carnival...ha ha, that was the Fantasy cruise that we almost booked but went with Allure instead).

Either way, thanks for the idea..Coral World, grab lunch, then head to Coki beach for a few hours before heading back to the ship.

Thanks...I will also look up Emerald/Lindb beach as an option.

My 2cents here. I agree with all helpful posts. I would also stick to Coki.

Sapphire is quite rocky, some areas of drop offs and a few years back taxi fare was $20 each person for over twenty min. It also has rougher bathrooms if they are open. The open air safari taxis should be $9 each way as a set rate. They are regulated taxis unlike private taxis that charge what they want and can try to sway you to fit there needs not yours.

Stick to Coki plan.

We have been to both Sapphire and Coki and love them both.

I have reviews of both with tons of pictures listed in my signature line if you are interested. It might help you get a feel for both places. :)

You capture the best photos. It was actually your Blue Lagoon photos that caught my eye when looking at Bahamas (but unfortunately the ferry time doesn't work for us). The Coki beach looks amazing. But wow...what great underwater shots. Thanks for posting.

In one of the beach shots, I saw a mat that floats in the water. Do you know if they rent those?

My 2cents here. I agree with all helpful posts. I would also stick to Coki.

Sapphire is quite rocky, some areas of drop offs and a few years back taxi fare was $20 each person for over twenty min. It also has rougher bathrooms if they are open. The open air safari taxis should be $9 each way as a set rate. They are regulated taxis unlike private taxis that charge what they want and can try to sway you to fit there needs not yours.

Stick to Coki plan.

Thank you. From the comments, I have pretty much ruled out Sapphire beach with kids. I love CC. So helpful! :)

Great tip too about the taxi. For the taxi that you mention, is "safari taxi" the name of the company that we should look out for?

Edited by LuCruise

I'm sorry, but Buffettfan is in error. The taxis that have taxi licenses, whether open air safaris or enclosed vans, all are supposed to abide by the taxi association rules. This includes the posted rate. Ask to see the rate sheet. If someone with a taxi license tries a bait and switch, you might give the Tourism Department a call with the number on the license. 340-774-9784 or 800-372-8784.

There are also people who will give you a ride at a cheaper rate without a taxi license.:eek:

With young kids, I'd go to Magen's Bay Beach. Long beach with plenty of space to spread out. Sandy bottom with very easy sloping entry. Usually really calm.

I agree Sapphire is the prettiest, but not that great for swimming for littles. Coki on the other hand as a lot of "local" activities that I'm not sure you would be comfortable with. We didn't mind it and liked that they served us our drinks right at our spot, but it was really tiny and crowded compared to the other two beaches. We found our little square of sand and that was our spot.

Do you like to walk the beach? Magens is the place for that. Sapphire is my fav, but if I had littles with me, it would be Magen's.

I'm sorry, but Buffettfan is in error. The taxis that have taxi licenses, whether open air safaris or enclosed vans, all are supposed to abide by the taxi association rules. This includes the posted rate. Ask to see the rate sheet. If someone with a taxi license tries a bait and switch, you might give the Tourism Department a call with the number on the license. 340-774-9784 or 800-372-8784.

There are also people who will give you a ride at a cheaper rate without a taxi license.:eek:

Thanks for correction. Perhaps we used an unlicensed van & didn't know it. We just arranged a fare to Saphire as no other taxis wanted to there. Our other one was trying to get to Saphire as we stated and he talked others in cab to go to Coki. It has been three years also. I am glad we have multiple sources of info here to share.

You capture the best photos. It was actually your Blue Lagoon photos that caught my eye when looking at Bahamas (but unfortunately the ferry time doesn't work for us). The Coki beach looks amazing. But wow...what great underwater shots. Thanks for posting.

In one of the beach shots, I saw a mat that floats in the water. Do you know if they rent those?

Thank you. From the comments, I have pretty much ruled out Sapphire beach with kids. I love CC. So helpful! :)

Great tip too about the taxi. For the taxi that you mention, is "safari taxi" the name of the company that we should look out for?

Safari is a loose term, it is based on open air style. They basically have a truck cab they ride in with an open air multi bench seating in back. Nice as get a breeze as travel, and easy to take photos without windows. Just keep younger kids on inside for safety. They have sides, but better safe. I also try to avoid very front bench seat unless a short ride as it gets less air, and hotter stuffier for us motion prone. Usually I would say carry at least twenty passengers. I stand corrected that there are some official cars/vans that have standard rates, but still prefer Safari types.

With young kids, I'd go to Magen's Bay Beach. Long beach with plenty of space to spread out. Sandy bottom with very easy sloping entry. Usually really calm.

I agree Sapphire is the prettiest, but not that great for swimming for littles. Coki on the other hand as a lot of "local" activities that I'm not sure you would be comfortable with. We didn't mind it and liked that they served us our drinks right at our spot, but it was really tiny and crowded compared to the other two beaches. We found our little square of sand and that was our spot.

Do you like to walk the beach? Magens is the place for that. Sapphire is my fav, but if I had littles with me, it would be Magen's.

That's another place I've recently read about. But what do you mean by "local activities I might not be comfortable with?"

That's another place I've recently read about. But what do you mean by "local activities I might not be comfortable with?"

In the area outside of the beach you may spot some smoking of "not so legal substances", but I have never seen anyone on the beach doing that. Of course, you can see this activity in many places in the Caribbean.

If you would like some good descriptions of the beaches in STT, google VInow. It can be very helpful.

And do not get into a cab that is not licensed. "Gypsy" cabs can be dangerous--no way I would get into one with my child. Regulated cabs will be able to tell you price per person and it will be the same no matter which one you ask. (I believe VInow also has current taxi rates.)

Sapphire is quite rocky

I know it's already been stated that Sapphire is ruled out as an option. However, I just had to say that it's not quite rocky all over Sapphire. There's plenty of sandy areas to swim in with no rocks.

As you can see in my pictures, the middle sections of this beach are nothing but sandy with the darker shaded areas being sea grass where the turtles have been known to hang out.

IMG_1709-M.jpg

IMG_1710-M.jpg

IMG_2012-M.jpg

You will find TONS of these little fish hanging out in the sandy areas as you can see in the pictures:

IMG_1722-M.jpg

The area that is "rocky" is to the right (facing the water) at the condo's there at Sapphire. This is the awesome snorkeling area. That's where you'll find most of the rocks/coral. Not everywhere.

Thank you. From the comments, I have pretty much ruled out Sapphire beach with kids. I love CC. So helpful!

I honestly had never noticed that float. I really don't know if they brought it with them or if you can rent it. Good eye though. I don't recall seeing a bunch of people with floats there that day. But then again, my head was stuck underwater in amazement about 90% of the day. :D

Yes, there was quite a bit of "smoking" going on. We also saw some "deals" happening right on the beach. Didn't bother us, but again, we were 6 adults. It was just a bit "seedier" than Magen's or Sapphire. There seemed to be a lot of locals hanging around trying to make sales of one kind or another.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible. We actually had a great time, but I'm one of those that loves to get into the down and dirty of a local island bar, talk to the people that live there, listen to their music, but you are asking for the best place for little kids, and I don't believe it is. It's small and crowded and not at all peaceful and serene. :)