Do YOU always participate on formal nights?

RCmommy

I wouldn't dare walk into the MDR on a formal night on any cruise line, with flip flops and yoga capris with my kids in crocs towing behind. haha. It is not just what other people would think, but I would feel like a frump.

That being said, I don't care what others wear really and if somebody wanted to wear flip flops or crocs that wouldn't bother me or my experience.

I would probably sit there and think, those poor folks probably feel pretty frumpy right about now, which is precisely why I don't want that frump to be me! :D

I agree with many others about using the occasion as a night to get dressed up and enjoy yourselves. It is nice to get all decked out. I just don't think I want to do that on a cruise, but rather something near home when I don't have all the extra planning and packing to consider.

Plenty of folks eat at the buffet on formal night !

We usually go to the first one and dress nicely but not really my idea of "formal". I'm sick of packing more than a backpack so that is my main reason. We spend the second formal night in a hammock on serenity ;)

On our last trip, shoes were our nemesis. Hubby wore his dress shoes and black slacks with one of his dress shirts on the flight. I wore my water shoes ( which look kind of like sneakers). This way we had less shoes to pack ( Dh had his water shoes packed and I had dress shoes packed. We both packed flops) This left my Dh to wear the dress shoes every night to dinner OR wear his black water shoes LOL so that is what he did. I don't think anyone was the wiser to it. He wore them every night but the 1 formal night we attended.

We pretty much avoid formal night dining. The buffet or room service are good enough those nights. Nothing against the folks who participate and enjoy it. We just feel like it's our vacation and we should be able to wear whatever we want. (Not that we'd go to the dining rooms in flip flops, etc. on a normal night.)

I wouldn't dare walk into the MDR on a formal night on any cruise line, with flip flops and yoga capris with my kids in crocs towing behind. haha. It is not just what other people would think, but I would feel like a frump.

That being said, I don't care what others wear really and if somebody wanted to wear flip flops or crocs that wouldn't bother me or my experience.

I would probably sit there and think, those poor folks probably feel pretty frumpy right about now, which is precisely why I don't want that frump to be me! :D

I agree with many others about using the occasion as a night to get dressed up and enjoy yourselves. It is nice to get all decked out. I just don't think I want to do that on a cruise, but rather something near home when I don't have all the extra planning and packing to consider.

I think the OP still has an inaccurate idea concerning a Carnival "elegant" night, since she says "she will have "extra planning and packing to consider".

Carnival "elegant" nights have evolved, some would say devolved, so that ordinary clothes that one would wear to school, church, a local diner (not even a restaurant) are fine. If she doesn't feel like a frump when dressed for one of these occasions, then she'll feel perfectly fine at Carnival's elegant night. There really isn't anything extra to pack, and there's nothing to buy, unless one doesn't have any clothes at all or dresses in rags, and I don't think that applies.

Take clean stuff out of the bureau or closet, pack it, you'll be fine. Stop worrying about the small stuff and look to enjoy yourself!

I've seen quite a few, dressed in shirts and ties, who still look like slobs. ;)

On our last Freedom cruise there was a lady dressed in a formal dress at least 2 sizes to small. She was about ready to pop out of her top. I'd rather see people in a nice pair of jeans than that. DH and DS will wear dress shirts, dress pants, dress shoes and sometimes ties. I will wear a sundress or cocktail dress. DD loves to dress up so you will see her in a homecoming type dress. Having said that I really don't pay much attention to what others are wearing....unless they are just about popping out of their clothes right in front of me at dinner :rolleyes:.

I understand what you mean, but I do think there's a middle ground between all decked out and flip flops that would probably make you feel comfortable. Suit and tie and evening gowns actually are the exception rather than the rule on elegant night. I have yet to see a tux. A simple $25 dress from Target and sandals or flats will not make anyone notice and feel sorry for you. I think what people are saying is that it's perfectly fine to skip the mdr and eat in the buffet -- you won't be alone -- but you shouldn't feel intimidated into skipping elegant night because you think people will be more dressed up than they actually will be.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

I read these kind of posts a lot. I've only been on three carnival cruises and have attended one elegant night on each. I'm a super casual person and struggle with formal anything. I did a lot of research before my first cruise and decided upon a nice shirt with a skirt and fancy gold stoned sandals...holy man did I feel out of place!! The next time I did the sundress thing and once again felt fairly underdressed ( just wanted the lobster). The third time, sundress but we got a table for two so i didn't feel so out of place.

People still dress up quite a bit on the most part. I mean, obviously there are some that are super dressed down but I would say the majority look pretty sharp!!

Op, u sound like me.. I totally get where u are coming from. I heard they don't offer lobster anymore..if this is correct, personally I would skip it. Even walking around on formal nights in shorts and tees, I feel very out of place.

Op, u sound like me.. I totally get where u are coming from. I heard they don't offer lobster anymore..if this is correct, personally I would skip it. Even walking around on formal nights in shorts and tees, I feel very out of place.

Not sure where you heard that from, but it is incorrect. They DO still have lobster.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Not sure where you heard that from, but it is incorrect. They DO still have lobster.

That's awesome...thank you.. I cruised in July but I though I read on these boards they were doing away with lobster...:);)..

Op if u love lobster, u have to hit the formal night.. I order two, lol!!

That's awesome...thank you.. I cruised in July but I though I read on these boards they were doing away with lobster...:);)..

Op if u love lobster, u have to hit the formal night.. I order two, lol!!

Do you know the riots that would ensue if that happened?!

Don't know if you recall the uproar over removing the shrimp cocktail from the menu (which had to be brought back due to basically people saying they would boycott Carnival altogether). I assure you that if lobster were gone, it would be a disaster of epic proportions! ;)

I can enjoy formal nights and im ok with people wearing nice casual in MDR. Less than that let the people who want to dress up enjoy the classic cruise elegance. Im less likely now to go super dressy for formal nights with all the travel hassles of flying today. Baggage fees, TSA etc. i try to focus on what I really need instead of extra suits shoes and ties etc. your bags can cost a significant portion of air travel these days. If I lived close to a port and drove i would bring it all! Lol

I am struggling with this idea for our upcoming cruise. The reason I am struggling? The extra packing for our family of four and the fact that the four of us do not truly have anything formal, the kids even semi-formal, so it would be be added costs for us to get some new digs!

I am on the fence with just sucking it up and buying some formal-ish wear (fear not, I am not talking three piece suits and such) Hoping some replies can help me make up my mind.

I know there is a whole "go dressed as you are camp" but I would feel frumpy and I also wouldn't want to offend anyone with our flip flops. :p

Can we expect many to be skipping the formal nights and dining elsewhere or are we going to be lonely sitting at the buffet?

We've done it twice now (4 of us) and not doing it anymore. Packed ties for the guys, dresses for me and daughter and good grief what a PIA!! I dress up every day for work and go on vacation to relax and this cruise in March is exactly what we'll be doing - relaxing!

Heading out next week. We usually have DH wear his sport coat on plane and just put in overhead. We attended a black tie formal wedding in October so DD12 has beautiful dress that I am tickled she can wear again. DS14 loves to put his "swag" on. Going with dockers' date=' white shirt and as he says a "swagalicious" bow tie and suspenders. We clean up nice. LOL. But my question...is one formal night more "formal" than the other??? Planning on spiffing up first one but going for more "casual" resort wear the second one. Do I have formal vs formal nights wrong?[/quote']

We usually dress up a little more on the first elegant night, as that is when they have passengers meet the Captain. I'm not talking a ball gown and tux, but a suit for DH and cocktail dress for me, then nice pants, collared shirt and tie for DH and office attire or sundress for me on the second elegant night

Goodwill is my favorite place to shop for cruise clothes! I've found some great dresses for me, dress clothes for my son, and even a suit for my husband! I hate spending money on clothes we will only wear for the cruise!

We love dressing for dinner, casual or elegant we still dress. No shorts, tank tops or flip flops for us, not in the MDR. However, if others do I'm ok with that they paid for their vacation just like I did. The only thing that really bothers me is ladies....cutoffs not meant for elegant night or the MDR on any night. Men, Sleeveless Tees.......Never APPROPRIATE in the MDR.;)

Keep reading here and yes...I see I am guilty...yes..as a solo...I participate on cruise Elegant..usually in a two piece black flow y bottom and jacket that are this ribbed unique fabric that never goes out if style and unique that I bought on super sale at a nice store...seriously..AGES ago..it is one size fits all and i wear all kinds of tops with it..with or without the jacket. Usually a satin like tank and different jewelry. Packs easy. I also have worn a couple of dresses at times that were that slinky stretchy poly and "in".

Pantsuit wins on photos at many weights..LOL...

Had fun either at group table or sitting by myself..

I just like it and going to shows afterwords...looking forward to second half of 50's and 60's and 70's lighter..and I am on that project...I have some old dressy things that are classic of my mom's and some that i never fit in..buying to loose and take that next cruise.

These things outlast the the poly cocktail type dresses (one piece wrap top a/line skirt type) but I love either option...and all options...just looking ok...and feeling that good feeling when most go for the extra touch...I still live the Cinderella thing in my heart...and just love it.

Now LOL on my first cruise..it was after studies and a casual but glove service at dinner one..LOL. Everyone then wore the casual maxi look that was in. I wore a pretty wrap maxi and matching halter top in a blue and white Greek color print...sigh..and have a photo of that skinny girl shaking the Captain's hand..that was a dressy casual look and ladies my age now had similar things or the church look..LOL..1980..Greek cruise and extinct line...Epirotiki.

I am glad that there is still the dressier night...and looking better on regular nights for the dining room...the new casual better..both nights...that they try...for the feeling and the memories..

But do what you want OP..you are already obviously within "reason"...asking...

Blessings and Bon Voyage...

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

We are driving back from a cruise now. We did both formal nights and took photos both nights. We saw numerous people being turned away from the dining room. They were wearing shorts. I guess all the dresses and suits didn't tip them off. Lol