British Isles/what to wear on sea days?

SuzyQ123

Leaving in April for 26 day TA British Isles (so excited!). Curious what is worn on ship on sea days. We'll be wearing jeans on most tour days and hopefully jeans are appropriate for sea days as well. As you all know....packing is always a concern! :)

We did this cruise last June. Yes hubby wore jeans. You can even wear them in the dinning room as long as they are not faded, holey , or frayed. For myself, I wear a lot of Capri's. It's rare for my legs to get cold. DO NOT forget rain gear as that is of upmost importance.

in April it will either be hot or cold. Really, we sometimes get our best weather in April but this last few years it's been very cold through to May. At sea I'd make sure you have a sweater/jumper and a hat or scarf as the wind at sea will be freezing.

Yes; this is a view from someone from Scotland. I live in England and can confirm this is sound advice on cruising to reach the British Isles.

Basically I am thinking increase your clothing layers continuously until you get to the British Isles. It might be a bit rainy when you arrive so probably good idea to have a fall back plan on umbrella and raincoats. Sometimes we have a heatwave but people from the warmer parts of the US might not realise they are experiencing it.

Regards John.

Leaving in April for 26 day TA British Isles (so excited!). Curious what is worn on ship on sea days. We'll be wearing jeans on most tour days and hopefully jeans are appropriate for sea days as well. As you all know....packing is always a concern! :)

In case you are wondering what most European women will be wearing during the day, it's skinny jeans or leggings tucked into their boots. Tennis shoes are usually only worn to the gym. Bring a hat, gloves, scarf and a rain jacket. I like to travel "incognito", so that my clothing doesn't scream "American with no sense of style".

My funniest story happened in Cannes, France, when two of my fellow passengers mistook me for a French woman. They asked me where I learned to speak English so well. I had to tell them that I was from California and that I was on the tour bus with them.:D

If you have a lot of European passengers on the ship with you, they do tend to dress up a bit more. As some would say, "It's your cruise, so dress to please yourself." My personal preference is not to be undressed, but that is just me.;)

Jeans and white gym shoes is the sure fire way to spot an American abroad! Tshirts tucked into jeans and a belt on top is another way. Oh yes... and mobile phone clips to a belt. :p

I'm also doing a transatlantic in April, my plan is hot weather clothes for the start, transitioning to layers the closer to home we get. I'm no fashion guru though, my standard clothes are dog walking clothes, work clothes, sleeping clothes with a very small range of holiday/cruising clothes! :o

Jeans and white gym shoes is the sure fire way to spot an American abroad! Tshirts tucked into jeans and a belt on top is another way. Oh yes... and mobile phone clips to a belt. :p

I'm also doing a transatlantic in April, my plan is hot weather clothes for the start, transitioning to layers the closer to home we get. I'm no fashion guru though, my standard clothes are dog walking clothes, work clothes, sleeping clothes with a very small range of holiday/cruising clothes! :o

That is so funny! The first time I came to London I was 21 and dressed in California casual surfer attire. Never again! I got an entire lesson on the "mods", "teddy boys", etc. Believe me, I learned my lesson.;)

That is so funny! The first time I came to London I was 21 and dressed in California casual surfer attire. Never again! I got an entire lesson on the "mods", "teddy boys", etc. Believe me, I learned my lesson.;)

You wear what ever makes you happy :) But make sure you at least have a fleece or jumper for when its blooming cold! ;)

You wear what ever makes you happy :) But make sure you at least have a fleece or jumper for when its blooming cold! ;)

I was lucky because it was June and there was an usual heat wave of 80 F. I did go to Marks and Sparks and pick up a couple of things though. I got tired of people "staring at the tourist". lol:D

I occasionally have worn jeans ashore. But I never them on the ship. It is my personal opinion. Layers will be my wardrobe once we leave Bermuda. I also try and "shake " the American look. Scarfs and my favorite black boots.

Just for me on long cruises, I don't take jeans. I'm not being critical, but I found out I can pack 2 pairs of cotton twill khakis compared to 1 pair of jeans. As others have said, you can spot people, where they are from pretty much by the clothes they wear.

I live in NE Wisc., wear jeans but never take them on vacation. I did England to Canary Isl,. then England to FLL. It was Oct. didn't take a heavy, warm jacket, just layers. I left the liner for my Fall jacket at home, instead used a lightweight knit hoodie under it when I was in Southampton.