Spring Break??

GT38

Our first cruise on Freedom was in the middle of Spring Break. (We got off the ship Easter Sunday). I did not realize this until after we booked and I was a bit wary as I am not fond of unruly children. However, I did not notice the fact that, according to the captain, there were 1200 children on board! I never once felt overwhelmed by kids or even saw many acting out. A very pleasant surprise.

We've done SB on cruises and also at family beach house in South Padre. Saw far worse behavior in Padre than on a cruise ship. Do some kids get out of line on the cruises? Oh yes some do, but generally the overall flow of the ship seems to remain better order than I've seen in Padre.

OP you will be fine.

Actually there are 137 US Colleges on spring break the week of 3/7. Don't fret however, ships always sail at capacity these days so it is not like it will be extra crowded or anything. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Just curious..is there a place to find out this information? We are on an 8 night from FL at the end of March.. Going to have a great time either way..

Just curious..is there a place to find out this information? We are on an 8 night from FL at the end of March.. Going to have a great time either way..

If you are trying to find out how many spring breakers will be on your cruise, the cruise line will not share that information. If you are trying to find out how many colleges and universities are off the week you are sailing, google is your friend. There are a few sites that list the colleges and their enrollment and a total off for the week. They are travel agent sites though, so I can't post a link here since it is against community guidelines.

http://www.ststravel.com/college-spring-break-dates

http://studenttravel.about.com/od/springbrea1/fl/When-is-Spring-Break-The-2015-Edition.htm

Yea hate to break it to you but prob 75% of the US is on spring break for college. I for one am one of those college spring breakers leaving on Adventure of the seas in 6 days! We deserve it though as this week is midterms

My twins are on the ship with you along with their sorority sisters and fraternity brothers. Godspeed, lol! Just kidding! They are pretty responsible people so hopefully it won't be too bad. They plan on enjoying the beach on labadee and doing the falls and snorkeling in Jamaica. They are definitely looking forward to relaxing and sorry to say drinking, after a hard semester and winter.

We cruise during our "March Break" because my wife works in the public school system. But, it also coincides with many of the US colleges' breaks.

The students will tend to stick to the shorter (cheaper) cruises. So, the 3-6 day cruises are prime.

In 2013, we noticed the cruise WAS affected by the student's behavior. This was the first spring break season after implementing the unlimited drinks package. Even the muster drill was an adventure! The new unlimited drink package was the talk of the town at muster. Several of them were obviously into the sauce already. Someone mentioned don't go on the pool deck, or hot tubs at night - we didn't find anyone on deck - must have all been in the bars.

Last year, 2014- there is not a single incident we noticed regarding students.

I do have to say that the pool decks on sea days do have nicer scenery during spring break.

I'm spring break-ing on Indy March 8th. It's going to be innnnnnnsane! I might have TWO glasses of wine at dinner! (Medical school has robbed me of my youth. What is "fun"?)

We board Indy on the 14th. I wonder if drunk chick who threw herself into the Flowrider will be back this year?????? :D

We are hoping that no one but us is on the Flowrider until the last day. I know, wishful thinking but at least advanced standup is usually nice and quiet in the mornings :p

We’ve cruised over college spring break a few times, and even sailed a three/four night cruise. Talk about a party! What we found was that our schedules are opposite many of the 20 something’s. We are early risers and had the run of the ship till about noon. (Think empty pool deck at 10AM) They stayed up late, we did not. Also, shows were not too crowded. Both the young men and women were actually better dressed than older adults we’ve seen on other cruises, I guess they “dressed to Impress” with the women wearing some of the shortest dresses I’ve seen.

The college kids were very polite.

We watched RCCL security do a great job in allowing the kids to have fun and stepping in a few times to keep everyone safe.

It was a more enjoyable cruise than a school age spring break cruise when the ship is filled with families.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Cruising my first College Spring Break with my "young at heart" mother, love being able to have another girls' fun trip! We will be on Independence of the seas March 8th, so ready for sun and warmth instead of literal 'Arendelle' here in Syracuse. Hopefully there won't be as many younger children running amok and hitting people as there was on the Norwegian Getaway (March 22nd 2014 sailing).

Haven't been on an RCI cruise since 2009 Navigator of Seas, looking forward to seeing what's new and fun to do on this ship!

This will be my third year traveling "Spring Break Peak Week". I am a Fla teacher and it is always our Spring Break too. My kids are 9 & 11 now but we have never had a problem at all. There isn't too many Spring Breakers. It's actually pretty nice because we are (relatively) early risers so the pool isn't too crowded in the morning and the college kids usually don't hit the pool until late afternoon and that is when we are going back to the room, resting, and then getting ready for dinner. Also, we eat early so hardly ever saw Spring Breakers at dinner. We were at the shows when they were eating and by the time they were hitting the bars, we were calling it a night.

The only time I remember college kids really sticking out was Cozumel day getting back on the ship and QUEST was a hoot to watch....HYSTERICAL!!!!

Enjoy :)

My school and others university are in spring break during that week [emoji4]:-) and they all close to the port lol

I don't think everyone will be on the ship but I can tell you I though I was sailing with carnival when I had the opportunity to sail during spring break onboard royal. Lots of young people and energy :-)ImageUploadedByForums1425509988.098206.jpg.e7de446ee417cfe3c32ce055afe04c8a.jpg

Edited by mcatmcat

From Liberty of the Seas Trip Report going on right now during this week which will be LESS peak for Spring Break. You may not experience this...but you should be prepared and set your expectations for Spring Breakers to be Spring Breakers for sure!!!

At the opposite end of the Fort Street shopping district from where I had a beer, was a bar, The Tender Bar, where there was loud music and people dancing on chairs. I had walked by and thought, those poor kids are seriously out of control. So, I am trying to stay in the shade from the sun as it was very hot. When I notice a security guy from Belize carrying a young woman over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, she has vomit and drool hanging from her mouth and is completely unresponsive. The security guy drops her on the bench across from the RCI security line to go back on the ship. He calls for help on his radio and pretty soon there are a few medical people and they start pouring water on her to wake her up. Not working. They then proceed to inject her with an IV of fluids. One of her friends in a buttless bikini shows up crying that her friend is in distress.

About this time there is an upstairs restaurant and bar, where a dude in Columbia PFG shorts and a Tommy Bahama shirt comes down and to stop himself from falling on his face he grabs the sign about 4 foot high with 2 foot cross sections holding it erect and crashes it to the ground. One of the security guys immediately goes after him. I am watching and the gaurd asks are you from the ship. the young man says yes. He says may I see your sea pass, and where are you going? The young man says, back to the bar (previously described), the security man says no your not, you need to get back on the ship. He then leads the drunk out of his mind kid to another bench in one of the hallways beside the shops. The kid is throwing up within 10 minutes and then is laying miserably on the bench.

I stayed until 4pm... I saw 3 completely unconscious women, two men so drunk they couldn't function, and 3 other women, in a slightly less serious condition but throwing up and miserable.

On board the tender a 40 something, guy watching the sexual and drunken behavior on the tender, said to me so this is what I was like 20 years ago. I said, yeah, we all eventually get smart enough to realize how to drink without instant stupefication.

In the diamond lounge the talk was about the out of control college kids. At dinner we were with a 60 something couple who own a bar in south bend Indiana, they were going to jump RCI because RCI should have warned them when they booked this cruise wasn't for them. My wife who taught college classes recently, is not upset, but she said, that she fears for the future as the kids she taught are all going into the medical profession, and this just reinforced her feelings.

like I said, I didn't realize until now know that I am a complete super curmudgeon.

This is less than 1/10 of what I experienced today.

You parents paying for your children to go on springbreak are suckers and fools.

The kids are sexually out of control and they drink super aggressively. Are they all like this no... But, it is scary to watch.

jc

My youngest kids have Spring Break starting Monday the 9th and are off until the 23rd.

My daughter who is in college is off the 2nd week of our break, March 16.

I'm sure you will have a good time, even if it is full of a ton of kids!

We were just at Cozumel on Brilliance. Liberty was docked next to us. I think Florida was on spring break. It looked like about 3000 kids getting on. OMG, I felt so bad for those with families, etc. They were very loud, many of them very intoxicated. 2 girls were wheeled up the dock in wheelchairs because they had passed out. I'm so glad we didn't choose Liberty this week!

we've done several "spring break" cruises and actually joined a group from the Univ. of Pittsburgh on a shore excursion. They took good care of "Grandma and Grandpa" and we all had a great time. Besides it was downright hilarious seeing them during the cruise in various states of inebriation. All good kids though and did not hurt the cruise in any way, except perhaps on the pool deck, but minor and didn't let it bother us. We go to have a good time and enjoy the good time everyone else is having.