Misleading Hotwire Hotel description in Barcelona

Watch out for Hotwire hot deal hotel offers that mention Passeig de Gracia and Casa Batllo area hotels. I was caught, thinking I would be in the general area described. Was looking for a 3 star. Was allocated a 3 star, 2km from the described area. Two km is not in the described area. What think you? Buyer beware!

What hotel is it?

Is the hotel inside the boundary of Hotwire's mapped area of Passeig de Gracia and Casa Batll?

If the answer to the second question is no, I think you have right for a refund.

That IS the problem. The booked hotel falls within the the green map area. Still, 2km away, what's the use of the written description? Misleading to say the least... Oh, and the comment on the booking confirmation says: "convenient to Casa Batllo". What a joke!

I quit using Hotwire as their * star ratings and locations were not acceptable. I was given what they say was a 2 star hotel. All the other websites listed the hotel as a 1 star. Hotwire wouldn't do anything, so I just didn't show up and lost the $99 I had paid for the room.

I will pay a little more and have control of where I stay. JMHO

Sorry, but I'm afraid if the hotel is within the green map area, then you got exactly what they advertised. Sure, hotels are often, let's say ambitious, when using geographical descriptions for their hotels (for instance, I stayed in a hotel in London last January that described itself to be 'South Wimbledon' but was really Colliers Wood). However, due diligence would have told you that it was perfectly possible that you would receive a hotel in this location.

I'm with agabbymama, I want to know exactly where I'm staying. There are other ways of finding deals.

Sorry, but I'm afraid if the hotel is within the green map area, then you got exactly what they advertised. Sure, hotels are often, let's say ambitious, when using geographical descriptions for their hotels (for instance, I stayed in a hotel in London last January that described itself to be 'South Wimbledon' but was really Colliers Wood). However, due diligence would have told you that it was perfectly possible that you would receive a hotel in this location.

I'm with agabbymama, I want to know exactly where I'm staying. There are other ways of finding deals.

The problem with this argument is that in reality, it constitutes nothing less than a bait and switch tactic. Oh! It doesn't correspond to the written description of the area, so sorry, it does fall into the green map area. Yeah, sure!:rolleyes::mad:

I don't think it's bait and switch. Everyone interprets descriptions such as 'convenient' in their own way. One person's 'convenient' is another person's 'too far'. The point of having a map is to show you exactly the geographical area the hotel will be in and you have said yours falls within that area.

They give you a map area

They give the map area a name

You get a hotel in the map area

and now you're saying it's bait and switch because it's not near what the map area was named after. Sorry, you're wrong. You were presented with a clear map of where your hotel might be, and when it wasn't close enough to something you're complaining.

I don't think it's bait and switch. Everyone interprets descriptions such as 'convenient' in their own way. One person's 'convenient' is another person's 'too far'. The point of having a map is to show you exactly the geographical area the hotel will be in and you have said yours falls within that area.

Exactly.

Plus, convenient does not always mean 'right next to', simply that it is easy to get to such as a short walk (2KM is not far at all) or by a short bus, tram, metro etc. ride.

Both Hotwire and Priceline use a similar mapping system. If you bid for a hotel (or blinding make a purchase) you need to accept that your hotel could be in a less then ideal location (this has happened to us in Seattle with Priceline). The bottom line to these bidding and blind commitments is you are taking a gamble to save some money

It is often helpful to use the "biddingfortravel.com" web site to see what hotels folks are usually getting in each bidding area.

Hank

I also book my Europe hotels direct, as our enjoyment of a city is directly related to how well located our hotel is, as we prefer to walk to sights whenever possible and to be near public transportation connections.

I have only used Priceline once, in London, but was very familiar with the area and used the betterbidding site so had a good idea of what hotel(s)we would most likely get, based on our bid and the star rating.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the previous post. I've used Priceline for the U.S. a few times prior to a cruise because of good advice from others.

I always use the hotel website for booking outside the states, I seem to get better rates plus a few times there were no extra charges others had on their bill because I did book direct. Traveling alone, I've been able to ask questions via email, get answers about proximity, walking alone, safety, etc., works better for me.

I've found Travelpony a great alternative to Priceline and Hotwire.

Cheap prices and lots of promo codes, free cancellation, knowing what you get. My thing. :D

If you go by Priceline or Hotwire please use Betterbidding, a great help for getting a lower price, a decent hotel or the hotel you want for a lower rate with bidding strategies.

I've found Travelpony a great alternative to Priceline and Hotwire.

Cheap prices and lots of promo codes, free cancellation, knowing what you get. My thing. :D

If you go by Priceline or Hotwire please use Betterbidding, a great help for getting a lower price, a decent hotel or the hotel you want for a lower rate with bidding strategies.

Thanks, great info. We booked through Hotwire for Barcelona 3 days after an upcomng cruise. Yes, it was it was in the map area and we should have known better. The map areas are misleadingly big and it was in the dar end of the Ramblas. Not happy with the location and would prefer to use a site with good value and more flexibility. Also, Hotwire is sometimes misleading in the type f hotel they rate something similar to. I know it is buyer beware (or aware) but they could be a little more customer friendly. Looking forward to using this in the future.

Cheers,

Aaron