Passport vs passport card for kids

I'm confused. Is a passport card acceptable for travel in the Caribbean? Before we depart on the western route-Labadee,Caymans, Jamaica, Cozumel, we need to acquire passports for a 19 yo,15 yo and 13 yo. A passport card is definitely cheaper and I can't imagine they will be traveling outside of The U.S, Canada, Caribbean in the future. I last cruised the western rt in 2010 & only remember using my passport to get back into US. I do remember bringing my drivers license when I would get off the ship in ports? Has anyone had experience using the passport cards with kids?

I'm confused. Is a passport card acceptable for travel in the Caribbean? Before we depart on the western route-Labadee,Caymans, Jamaica, Cozumel, we need to acquire passports for a 19 yo,15 yo and 13 yo. A passport card is definitely cheaper and I can't imagine they will be traveling outside of The U.S, Canada, Caribbean in the future. I last cruised the western rt in 2010 & only remember using my passport to get back into US. I do remember bringing my drivers license when I would get off the ship in ports? Has anyone had experience using the passport cards with kids?

A passport card is acceptable for ship travel on closed end cruises from US ports.

If you have the time to apply I would get the book for the 19 yr old, and the card for the two younger teens as the passport experation dates are different only 5 years for the 15 and 13 yr olds. 10 for all others.

If you have the time to apply I would get the book for the 19 yr old, and the card for the two younger teens as the passport experation dates are different only 5 years for the 15 and 13 yr olds. 10 for all others.

Good point, may as well spend a little extra and get the 19 year old one that will last for 10 years.:)

It really is better to get the book for everyone. If something were ever to happen and they needed to FLY someplace outside of the country and the only had a passport, they wouldn't be able to fly. I got a card and didn't know that.

A passport card is acceptable for ship travel on closed end cruises from US ports.

That is true but for a closed loop cruise I don't really see any benefit that a passport card has over just using a birth certificate and government issued photo ID.

Edited by Don Pedro

That is true but for a closed loop cruise I don't really see any benefit that a passport card has over just using a birth certificate and government issued photo ID.

That's correct Pete, the card is treated the same way as the BC. I'd get both the card and the booklet.

Why both?

I'd carry the passport card in my wallet, as a secondary ID in case my DL is unavailable. Some states take the driver's DL when stopped for a traffic violation.

I'd carry the passport card in my wallet, as a secondary ID in case my DL is unavailable. Some states take the driver's DL when stopped for a traffic violation.

Good point, though these are little kids. I got both, and really thought I wasted my money.

Good point, though these are little kids. I got both, and really thought I wasted my money.

They aren't little kids, at least two of them could need a passport to study abroad in college prior to the expiration date of whatever they decide to get. Based on that information, I would get the two older kids passports, the oldests would expire in 10 years, the 15 yr olds would expire in 5 years. For the youngest, I wouldn't get a passport or a passport card at all. I would wait until they turn 16 and get their passport then.

They aren't little kids, at least two of them could need a passport to study abroad in college prior to the expiration date of whatever they decide to get. Based on that information, I would get the two older kids passports, the oldests would expire in 10 years, the 15 yr olds would expire in 5 years. For the youngest, I wouldn't get a passport or a passport card at all. I would wait until they turn 16 and get their passport then.

Study abroad usually happens in junior year and if the passport is 6 months from expiring the 15 year old might have issues with it. I got my 14 year old a passport and he needed a new one by the time he traveled for study abroad. I would wait a year until he turns 16.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Forums mobile app

Like I said in my first reply, the only problem with that is if he or she had a medical emergency out side the country they wouldn't be able to be flown home. In other words they would have to stay in the foreign hospital till they got better. Then I guess, take a ship home.

Like I said in my first reply, the only problem with that is if he or she had a medical emergency out side the country they wouldn't be able to be flown home. In other words they would have to stay in the foreign hospital till they got better. Then I guess, take a ship home.

Not true at all. They could get an emergency passport with help of a consulate. Exceptions are made everyday for people who don't have the correct documentation.

Not true at all. They could get an emergency passport with help of a consulate. Exceptions are made everyday for people who don't have the correct documentation.

Ok let her just card. I just wouldn't want to go through that amount of trouble. I'd spend the extra money and have the extra piece of mind. Plus if they had the book they could splurge on a longer trip.

The card is not anything more that the BC and photo ID. If you are willing to travel with the BC and Photo ID, then there is not use in buying the passport card. Save your money. If you want the security of being able to be flown home because of an emergency, then you need to get the passport. We did a family vacation two years ago. There were 15 of us and only 8 had passports. The rest traveled with BC and photo ID. As stated, the consulate will help you out in an emergency. As far as just getting on another ship, that probably would not work either because each ship has their manifest and you just can jump on a ship and return home. The returning manifest has to match the leaving manifest. They can't have a few extra people aboard that they picked up somewhere.

Just use birth certificate

Ok you all win. Just make sure you bring the correct type. I have seen a lot of posts where the people bring the wrong type and can't get on the ship. And yes I have seen it happen to little kids.

What photo ID do you use for a minor? Does the Birth cert. have to be original, raised seal, or somewhere I was told a footprint??

What photo ID do you use for a minor? Does the Birth cert. have to be original, raised seal, or somewhere I was told a footprint??

The birth certificate can not be the hospital, souvenir footprint birth certificate, it needs to be a certified birth certificate. Some states have raised seals, some don't.

As far as a photo ID, only those 16 years old and up need a government issued photo ID.

Saying that sort of thing really waters down the message. Because it's not true, so then everything seems suspect. You can get an emergency passport.

Here's the issue. If you're on a BC and you have an emergency (or a family member and everyone wants to go home), you have to *get one*. That takes some time, annoyance, and more money than just getting one at home. Yes you'll get home, but it's not going to be as fast, and it will be more expensive.

Contact the vital statistics office in the county of birth. Get the certified birth certificate. (though cpb.gov actually says just a COPY is fine) Some states like CA have raised seals. Other states like WA have flat swirly stamps. Both are the marks of certification for their respective states.

If you last got a BC years ago, check with your local offices to see if yours is the most "legal" of them. There have been changes in that last few years about what info needs to be on them. My own BC (ordered 20 years ago) is fine; it has spots for both of my parents. Someone from a different state might need to get a new certified copy (anyone remember the kerfluffle about Obama's long form vs short form from Hawaii?), so check with the vital statistics office that's relevant to you and your family.

The birth certificate can not be the hospital, souvenir footprint birth certificate, it needs to be a certified birth certificate. Some states have raised seals, some don't.

As far as a photo ID, only those 16 years old and up need a government issued photo ID.

Travelling in June on Grandeur. Was planning on use birth certificates for the kids. My oldest will just have turned 16 prior to. With no drivers license yet, what alternative photo id could be used?

Travelling in June on Grandeur. Was planning on use birth certificates for the kids. My oldest will just have turned 16 prior to. With no drivers license yet, what alternative photo id could be used?

A state usually offers an identification card for those who don't have a driver's license.