Man overboard on the Glory

pamrose228

Apparently, one can survive up to 72 hours in the water through sheer determination.

However this is dependent on age, health, injury, state of mind, swimming ability and flotation devices to hand.

Edited by Velvetwater

Of course, murder / suicide are options, and this has occurred in the past. However, being Spring break week, I have my suspicions. It will be what it will be. Yeah, your chances of surviving such a fall can be pretty slim. If it is murder, that's a different story. Suicide; then do it so you do not affect so many others. Foolishness; you got what you deserved. Sorry.

When im so old I can hardly enjoy life, jumping off is how I am gonna go!

Prayers to those involved. I do agree that's it's virtually impossible to just fall without outside factors and coinciding with it being a young college student on spring break I'm willing to bet alcohol was a factor. I've seen too many young, drink kids (and adults) sitting on railings or hanging over. Its sad but all too common and without a sober person in your party to watch out it's bound to continue

very sad...

the fact nobody ( freinds/family) noticed until the morning, probably means a night at the club, where his freinds thought he was fine for the night ( maybe picking up a girl) or getting dumped by one etc...

I agree, a review of the tapes would show if it was someone pushing them over

very sad.

People on Facebook are reporting a college student went overboard on thye Glory last night/early this morning . The Glory has turned around to search for him. Prayers sent.

Where is this info being found on Facebook?

Terrible news. Wont suprise me if carnival and other lines start locking doors at nite that give access to the muster decks. Having met the captain of the Glory, i know he puts the safety of the crew and passengers first and foremost. Unfortunately, with the human factor, accidents always happen.

Thanks TropicalDrink. Wasn't planning on going online this cruise but....

Is Disney Fantasy assisting in the search?

My thoughts go out to family and friends ....

LuLu

Actually, we passed the Fantasy several hours ago. I had assumed we were in active search mode but we're actually en route to the site where the passenger went overboard. So still an hour or so until we get there.

Cruise Director made announcements a bit ago but no updates - just reworking the schedule due to unplanned sea day.

Edited by MisterMom

Thanks. Wasn't planning on going online this cruise but....

Actually, we passed the Fantasy several hours ago. I had assumed we were in active search mode but we're actually en route to the site where the passenger went overboard. So still an hour or so until we get there.

Cruise Director made announcements a bit ago but no updates - just reworking the schedule due to unplanned sea day.

If you get a chance, once you find out the new itinerary could you please post it here? I only ask because I have family onboard.

Edited by carnival03

They are still over 2 hours from the site and it is 11:23? They must have not missed him for a really long time. I am confused with the times.

What's confusing? Lets say he went overboard at midnight. He is not reported missing until 8am. The ship has sailed away for 8 hours at 18-20 knots, so 140-160 miles away. The ship then has to turn around, and steam that same 140-160 miles back again, at about the same speed (full speed), so to be within 2 miles around noon is just about right.

Some ships (and I'm not sure Carnival ships have them), DCL in particular, have the man overboard scanners, but these are not 100% accurate. It was passed by the Congress in the Passenger Safety Act a few years ago, but it has no enforceable jurisdiction over foreign flag ships. It is at their discretion. Nearly all ships have cameras that aim from the bridge wings back along the ship, and this is most likely what the Captain reviewed. Even if the ship had noticed the person going overboard at night, it would be almost impossible to find something as small as a human head (all that is really above water) in seas at night.

Survivability depends on the person's condition when entering the water (were they injured in the fall?), clothing, health, and water temperature. Even the water temperature in the Caribbean in the summer can cause hypothermia within 8-10 hours. Water transfers heat 6 times as fast as air, and the water temperature is probably about 60-70*F, which will pull the core body temperature down quite quickly.

On the Glory now. Five overhead pages for a passenger this morning - three in the public areas then two in the cabins. Captain confirmed through video review someone went overboard. Disney Fantasy just passed closer to us.

This is so sad to hear, we just met people on Monday in Cozumel who were in port with us from the Glory. My thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

How does one go overboard on a ship unless copious amounts of alcohol are involved? Well, it's one of the Spring break weeks, so no surprise.

Sorry if I do not sound sympathetic. This just messes up everyone's cruise. :(

You are sorry all right, no doubt about that.

Edited by Bob NC

Don't think it's common. Except for the above incident we've never encountered it (40+cruises on 4 lines)

Do think it's being reported more often. If we weren't on CC we wouldn't know anything about it.

Horrible to happen at anytime, in any way.

Do a Google search and see what you come up with. Heck, we heard about that kid who climbed the radar tower to get a pic of the sunrise - a selfie? He fell to his death. People speculate that alcohol was involved. Not always, maybe just stupid is more like it.

While seeing if there was any articles emerging I found this page:

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/other/man_overboard.asp

It says one guy was rescued after 18 hours.

Not sure how accurate this article is because it doesn't list 2 overboard cases that we are aware of. The first was aboard the Spirit on April 15, 2012 when a man suffering from a mental condition jumped overboard on our way to Hawaii from San Diego. The ship turned around and searched for a couple of hours before finding and rescuing the man. We heard that he had not been taking his medication and was pacing on the Serenity Deck before jumping in broad daylight.

And about 10 years ago, we were on an eastern Caribbean cruise out of Miami when a young college graduate went overboard during the first night of the cruise. He was never found.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all families who lives were changed during what was suppose to have been a wonderful vacation for all involved.

:cool:Bill

I don't know if any of you are aware of this site, but it's called Incidents at Sea, and it has up-to-date incidences at sea. There's a link at the site with "man overboard" incidences.

As far as suicide is concerned, I've had 2 suicides in our family in the past year, both husbands of my nieces. Alcohol wasn't involved in either case - drugs were.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

My time in the Coast Guard we were called out for man over boards from cruise ships at least a dozen times, almost all were crewmen, two were passengers. I served on 3 different cutters, the USCGC Liberty from Auke Bay Alaska, near Juneau is my pic.

The search is all based on the person, age, health if known, and most important his/her weight, any possible flotation devices? The water and air temperatures, winds and weather, tides and or currents. Proximity to land or other out of water items. The key is how long has the person been in the water.

We would calculate that out to determine where and how long to search. We usually searched some period after the time we calculated the final chance threshold had been reached. We would release a cruise ship when we were either on scene (most common) and based on their schedule to the next port.

It was more common on fishing vessels for persons overboard.

Sometimes we would find fully loaded and operating, fishing gear deployed with product on the hooks, fishing vessels with no one on board. The single operator just fell overboard and the boat went on with out him.

PS: We found none alive. Most we never found.

from another site:

• Males are much more likely to go overboard than females
  • Carnival passengers (33 incidents) are more likely to go overboard than passengers from other cruise lines...especially passengers on the Carnival Conquest
  • The average age of a passenger who goes overboard is 41 years
  • You are most likely to fall overboard on the last night of your cruise
  • For some reason, people from California and Florida go overboard more than others
  • Falling overboard does not necessarily mean you will die (16 people have been rescued, one after 18 hours in the water)
  • Most people who fall overboard are either drunk or doing silly things (climbing on the railing or between cabin balconies)