21 year old college student overboard

vols159

This is how we think fundamentally differently. I don't think that taking a suicidal risk is a "silly thing". I don't think drinking and driving is silly. I don't think texting and driving is silly. I don't think getting drunk and horsing around and pushing someone over a railing is silly. People get into car accidents and people say, "Well that is so sad and everyone makes mistakes and you must be SOOO perfect, etc".

No. HE caused it. HE DID put a damper on people's vacations. This wasn't his first time drinking. He wasn't tricked into taking this cruise. He wasn't being silly. he was being reckless and he was being stupid. No one is saying he *is* stupid and/or they are perfect. But I don't make deadly decisions and then act like no one has a right to judge me for it.

You tell a joke or pull a prank on someone or eat their dessert while they aren't looking, you are being silly. You tempt death by acting in a way that is KNOWN to cause death and then the inevitable happens, I don't think people are obligated to paint him as an innocent bystander or a martyr.

I wouldn't call it a suicidal risk. He made a bad choice and it didn't work out for him. Was he impaired? Sure, possibly. But who cares? Doesn't change the result. Everyone has made mistakes and done dumb things.

This is how we think fundamentally differently. I don't think that taking a suicidal risk is a "silly thing". I don't think drinking and driving is silly. I don't think texting and driving is silly. I don't think getting drunk and horsing around and pushing someone over a railing is silly. People get into car accidents and people say, "Well that is so sad and everyone makes mistakes and you must be SOOO perfect, etc".

No. HE caused it. HE DID put a damper on people's vacations. This wasn't his first time drinking. He wasn't tricked into taking this cruise. He wasn't being silly. he was being reckless and he was being stupid. No one is saying he *is* stupid and/or they are perfect. But I don't make deadly decisions and then act like no one has a right to judge me for it.

You tell a joke or pull a prank on someone or eat their dessert while they aren't looking, you are being silly. You tempt death by acting in a way that is KNOWN to cause death and then the inevitable happens, I don't think people are obligated to paint him as an innocent bystander or a martyr.

amen. there is certainly different degrees of silly behavior. When I was in college, I did some pretty stupid things. But could I have ever pictured myself SERIOUSLY climbing over to the other side of a railing on a cruise ship? NO WAY. If you're sober enough to walk and actually make it over to the other side, you're sober enough to have some idea of how wrong and dangerous that is.

I had a friend in college who could seriously not keep it together when we were drinking. It was the most frusterating thing in the entire world. When she started drinking, she wouldn't stop. And we had to carry her out of most places to the point where she was passed out. I can tell you that my "sympathy" for her was very minimal in most situations. There was one time we were not yet 21 and had some drinks but SHE drunk to the extreme and would NOT get out of the middle of the street and layed down in the middle of the road. We could not carry her away. It would not at all surprise me if this story was about her when we were in college 10 years ago. I would feel terrible for her family most of all, and of course for her but there are CONSEQUENCES when you are one of those people that are SERIOUSLY incoherant when drunk. She is now a nurse and doesn't drink much anymore, but because of dealing with her all of those years I just don't understand people who drink to the point where they are so incredibly reckless.

There are hundreds and hundreds of people who are reading this thread right now who have never been on a cruise themselves and probably do not actually participate in the conversations on message boards, they just observe. Including people who have their sons or daughters going on a spring break cruise. I think it's important for them to understand that it is IMPOSSIBLE to fall overboard "accidentally" if you are not climbing on or over the railing. Again, this has nothing to do with lack of sympathy on my part, but I think it's WRONG to insinuate that rough seas have ANY part at all in a man going overboard.

The only way someone is going to go overboard while not playing on or going over the railing, is if the Craken comes out of the sea and swallows the ship whole.

There shouldn't be any unnecessary worrying for new cruisers, or parents of cruisers who are going on spring break that they or a family member is going to fall off. Unless of course they are doing something reckless or very dangerous.

Exactly!!

I do not blame his friends at all! He is 21, in college, living on his own, etc. from I read, his friends got him back to the cabin and when they woke up, he was gone. Left again by his own volition. His friends are not responsible, not their job to babysit him. I am sure they feel terrible as it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lived in Florida for many years. When I read the thread title, I immediately thought of a couple of spring breaks where it seemed a drunk college kid was falling off a hotel balcony and dying about once a week. They were often trying to climb from one room's balcony to another. Not sure if it's still as bad but there was a real epidemic there for a while. Alcohol and hormones that don't know their limits yet.