21 year old college student overboard

vols159

I was just on a 7 Mexican cruise and had 3 young men in cabin below us.

The day we left Puerto Vallarta one of the young men was so drunk he was literally hanging over the edge of balcony throwing up. When his friends came out they were just as bad.

At that point I called Passenger Service desk and let them know, as I was very worried about their safety.

Security did come and they settled down after that.

I can imagine how the people felt with the balcony below them...

I HIGHLY doubt that the grieving family is browsing public forums to see the opinions of strangers about the circumstances around his disappearance...

A few weeks ago there was a drunk teen who had a head on collision and killed himself and two girls in the other car. To say, "it's sad. Be compassionate. Case closed" is a disservice. These things CAN be prevented. He's not a martyr. It's sad but you can use it as a teaching tool to the "nothing bad can happen to me" generation. It's not wrong to point out the obvious (but still sad) fact that his actions caused this. Just like the drunk driver. The loss of his life is awful. But to act like the circumstances were out of his control sends a message that it's okay to get wasted and act foolish. When in reality it can cost your life.

this IS really sad. It's sad for his family.

I don't understand the animosity towards people questioning his actions. This should be a lesson in what can happen with horseplay, goofing around, getting wasted, etc. To treat this as an unavoidable accident and turn him into an innocent bystander is wrong IMO. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he got what he deserved or anything like that...but we shouldn't be afraid of being realistic because his family might be browsing forums looking for opinions on his actions.

There are real consequences for your choices and a night in the "brig" or a cool rescue story aren't the worst case scenarios.

I totally agree with you both. I don't think it's offensive to discuss reality. I have a HUGE amount of sympathy for this man, and his family of course. It makes me sick to think about this tragedy. Sometimes I wonder how I made it out of my college years alive, since I did so many stupid things. But I also think it's wrong to portray something as "accidentally falling overboard" when there was a lot more negligence going on his part. Now I have my mother calling me since she saw this story on the news, all worried that we are going to "fall overboard" on our upcoming cruise, and she thinks that's something that easily happens. She says she's never going on a cruise because apparently it sounds like a ship hits a wave and people go flying off.

I think discussing the consequences of one's actions prevents this from happening again. People need to know that this can and DOES happen if you decide to get so drunk that you have no idea what's going on around you. It's a lesson to all the other spring breakers out there to keep and eye on your friends if you see them becoming incoherant. Stay together and watch out for eachother.

I totally agree with you both. I don't think it's offensive to discuss reality. I have a HUGE amount of sympathy for this man, and his family of course. It makes me sick to think about this tragedy. Sometimes I wonder how I made it out of my college years alive, since I did so many stupid things. But I also think it's wrong to portray something as "accidentally falling overboard" when there was a lot more negligence going on his part. Now I have my mother calling me since she saw this story on the news, all worried that we are going to "fall overboard" on our upcoming cruise, and she thinks that's something that easily happens. She says she's never going on a cruise because apparently it sounds like a ship hits a wave and people go flying off.

I think discussing the consequences of one's actions prevents this from happening again. People need to know that this can and DOES happen if you decide to get so drunk that you have no idea what's going on around you. It's a lesson to all the other spring breakers out there to keep and eye on your friends if you see them becoming incoherant. Stay together and watch out for eachother.

Yes and YES!! Very well said! I have been reading these posts and the other thread that was closed. I have great sympathy for this family! You never want to hear someone has lost a loved one tragically!!

But people you are on a SHIP! In the middle of the ocean! There is no plastic bubble around it! And please do not think I am just referring to this incident. I am talking in general. You are on a open decked moving vessel and with that comes a certain responsibility for yourself and your own safety.

You know , to all the people that are posting here and on other social media outlets that this kid got what he deserved , drunk and stupid , etc. ,etc. .....all I can say is that I can only assume that you were fortunate enough to be born old and very smart. Yes , he may have been drunk , and yes , he probably did something that caused his own death , but the fact still remains that this is a young man that had his life end just as it was really beginning. I'll be 55 in a few weeks , and as I think back to all the experiences I've had in life between the age of 21 and now , what a tragedy it would have been for me to have never experienced all of the wonderful things life has had to offer in that time. I don't think any of us can sit here and say we didn't do stupid things when we were young. I was lucky enough to have survived all of them , but I can think of at least a couple of time that 1 slip , one misplaced footstep , one wrong turn of the wheel and my story would have ended up just like this poor young man. So don't be so judgmental and feel a little compassion for this kid and his family and his friends who's story ended before it really began

Yes and YES!! Very well said! I have been reading these posts and the other thread that was closed. I have great sympathy for this family! You never want to hear someone has lost a loved one tragically!!

But people you are on a SHIP! In the middle of the ocean! There is no plastic bubble around it! And please do not think I am just referring to this incident. I am talking in general. You are on a open decked moving vessel and with that comes a certain responsibility for yourself and your own safety.

Yep!!! I mean, when someone crashes and kills themselves from texting and driving, you don't see the news reports just calling it an "unfortunate accident." They call it like it is, and say the person was texting and driving. We as a society learn from each others mistakes and if this man climbed over the railing, obviously this is a good example to others as to why they shouldn't do that. If he was simply leaning over the balcony to throw up and was tossed off, again a great example as to what can actually happen. I see no disrespect in hiding it.

Parents whose teens died in texting and driving accidents speak at other high schools about the dangers of doing this. The same warning should come about drinking yourself silly to the point that climbing over a cruise ship balcony "doesn't seem that dangerous".

Holding my tongue as long as I could, I posted something similar on another board about negative and inappropriate comments, how I hope those people posting them slept well bc the family won't for years to come. My post wasn't well received but not surprised. A man's life ended - show some compassion and sympathy. I offer my condolences to his family and friends.

I was just on a 7 Mexican cruise and had 3 young men in cabin below us.

The day we left Puerto Vallarta one of the young men was so drunk he was literally hanging over the edge of balcony throwing up. When his friends came out they were just as bad.

At that point I called Passenger Service desk and let them know, as I was very worried about their safety.

Security did come and they settled down after that.

By making that simple phone call to the Service desk, I believe you saved 3 young lives that day.

100% agree. There's no reason why you can't point out the carelessness of it all AND have sympathy. In fact, failing to acknowledge how he likely fell is a tragedy in itself. You don't help future cruisers or solidify the basic truth: that cruising is safe and people don't just fall overboard. I have two children and was once a college kid myself. I have plenty of understanding and compassion. But that has nothing at all to do with pointing out how things like this likely happen. I haven't followed this thread in its entirety. Don't feel like hearing the preaching. Of course my sympathy goes out to his family. One thing has nothing to do with the other. So please.

This is a HORRIBLE tragedy for both that young man and his family and friends. I don't care whether it was alcohol related or for any reason, fact is EVERYBODY makes mistakes of some type in their life lets face it!! If somebody tells me here they never made any mistake in their life well your a machine not human!!

Indeed. I couldn't imagine how bad the family must feel....As mentioned before, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter why or how, but at the same time it's a good reminder for everyone else that accidents do happen, and mistakes can be made, so when we're out having a good time it's always a good idea to remember to be careful, and make good decisions.

Indeed. I couldn't imagine how bad the family must feel....As mentioned before, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter why or how, but at the same time it's a good reminder for everyone else that accidents do happen, and mistakes can be made, so when we're out having a good time it's always a good idea to remember to be careful, and make good decisions.

I completely disagree. It DOES matter why or how. Because others can learn from it. That is what many of us are trying to say. Just because we are trying to point out how it happened DOES NOT mean that he "got what he deserved" or that we "don't have any sympathy". It's the opposite. Those two things have nothing to do with each other. Do you think someone who is kidnapped and murdered while jogging alone "deserves" what they got because they were jogging alone? NO. And NOBODY would insinuate that. BUT... it's a lesson to everyone else to not jog alone in that area.

What I'm saying is that if he did NOT intentionally fall off like the news reports are saying, it would be a good lesson to others of what NOT to do. If he was leaning far over throwing up, and got bumped off, wow that's scary because I wouldn't think that's possible. But if he climbed over the raining and was attempting something really dangerous, it's a good lesson for other kids to keep an eye on their friends (I have one who drinks WAY TOO MUCH) And stay together. It doesn't mean we don't have compassion. That's ridiculous.

According to one person aboard, the video revealed tat he was on his balcony vomiting into the sea. The seas were very rough, and he fell over. Tried to hold on but.........I definitely think he had way to much to drink and it made him sick.

So let me get this stright there is video of him leaning over his balcony to voiot into the sea. Why didn't the person taking the video, cause one must assume the person taking it was in his cabin. Get him away from the railing instead of tring to make what they thought would be a funny video for you tube.

So let me get this stright there is video of him leaning over his balcony to voiot into the sea. Why didn't the person taking the video, cause one must assume the person taking it was in his cabin. Get him away from the railing instead of tring to make what they thought would be a funny video for you tube.

I think they are referring to the surveliance video they have of him going overboard. Nobody actually took the video but they do have a surveliance video of the event. That's how they have determined he did in fact climb over the railing. I think Carnival was probably worried the "accidentally fell overboard" statement was making it see like it was easy to fall off one of their ships. So they have in fact released on credible news sites that he did actually climb over the railing.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/new-river-valley/coast-guard-searching-for-virginia-tech-student-who-went-overboard-cruise-ship/31725368

Edited by jetta8300

No, there is speculation or hearsay that the ship's surveillance video has been discussed not only with crew in general but with passengers onboard. This video is from a camera that records the sides of the ship, and would be reviewed by the Captain and Surveillance Manager (most likely the only ones to see it) once they were notified that the person was missing. I find it hard to believe that Carnival corporate would countenance, or that a Captain would be dumb enough to let out details of the video prior to any review by corporate legal.

According to one person aboard, the video revealed tat he was on his balcony vomiting into the sea. The seas were very rough, and he fell over. Tried to hold on but.........I definitely think he had way to much to drink and it made him sick.

No, he actually climbed over the railing. That has been reported several times now. And I have learned more about it as my son is also at VT and knew him - my son was on a different cruise ship with another group of VT students - but all the kids learned about what happened pretty quickly. (I just spoke to my son about it this morning after he got off the ship.) I just feel terrible for this boy's family. Such a shame.

Edited by happysinglemom

Exactly. It doesn't matter how it happened, it's a tragedy for all involved.

I certainly agree that this incident is a horrible tragedy, but it does matter how it happened.

If it 'was' due to possible drunk or reckless behavior then we all can learn from this and hopefully no one else will do something similar and put their life at risk.

Well according to the article he was climbing up on the railing in the video. Was he impaired? I would never climb up on any of the railings.

Yes.

I certainly agree that this incident is a horrible tragedy, but it does matter how it happened.

If it 'was' due to possible drunk or reckless behavior then we all can learn from this and hopefully no one else will do something similar and put their life at risk.

Absolutely. I drove my son a bit nuts before his cruise, talking about how all the things that can happen if one allows them self to lose control, due to alcohol, drugs, or whatever. I just hate it that this happened, but I know it has hit a lot of kids in the gut and that they will at the very least take away an "enhanced awareness" from this.

I just returned from this cruise today. Reading through this thread, there is a lot of conjecture and, frankly, a lot of insensitivity to an awful situation that a grieving family is having to deal with. So I will provide what I know to be facts (some of this appears it the other closed thread).

First and foremost, a promising young man and son has lost his life. Regardless of circumstances, this is incredibly sad. I feel for his family and his friends.

Here are the facts:

Soon after departing Miami on March 7, the seas were exceptionally rough. We had the early seating dinner at 6pm and wife lasted 30 minutes before returning to her room (she was sick to her stomach). Before the end of the meal, two others left the table because of sea sickness. At least a half dozen wine glasses broke after falling off tables from the gyrations of the ship. On the way out of the restaurant, the men's bathroom door in in the area outside the restaurant was literally caked with vomit (apologies for being so graphic), but this was the situation. For those who question how someone could fall over a railing, this is a factor. There was a HUGE sway, for the first 2 days.

At about 4:30 am on the 15th, an announcement was made over the PA (outside of the rooms) for Cameron Smook to contact the Guest Services on Level 3 along with the phone number. This announcement was repeated 2 more times...I'm guessing it was 15-20 minutes between announcements. Anyone who has cruised knows that general broadcasts do not happen at this hour. Two more announcements were made, after this, but now inside the cabins asking Cameron to contact guest services. The last announcement was at about 6am

At about 9:30 am on the 15th, the Captain announced that he needed to update passengers on a "situation" that they were dealing with. Video surveillance had shown that a passenger had gone overboard and that the ship would be returning to that area to search of the passenger. As someone mentioned on another post, he sounded very choked up. At that time he said it was unclear whether that planned stop to Half Moon Cay would happen (on reflection there was not a chance this stop was going to happen).

We arrived at the location around 3pm. The Carnival Ecstasy had also been re-routed and was sitting what looked to be about 2 miles to our aft. There was USCG helicopter that did several passes over the area between the two ships. At about 5:30pm, the Captain announced that they had not located the overboard passenger and that the Glory had been released by the USCG. I'm not sure about this, but I believe the Ecstasy continued with the search, based on other things I’ve read. The seas remained very rough.

That was the last public announcement about the situation what was made to passengers on the Glory.

A couple of other notes:

Yesterday (March 13), we travelled back through the area. There were 3 cruise ships covering what I'd guess to be about 4-5 miles abroad. One was the RC Odyssey and I don't know what the other was. Nothing was announced, but it was pretty obvious what was going on.

Early this morning during debarkation, Miami police (looked like forensics, but I'm not sure) boarded the ship and were headed up to inspect the cabin. This was a bit surprising to me...I'd have thought this would have been done sooner.

One last comment. We were on the 7th deck and at least one camera is obvious - it extends from the bridge. I have no idea how they could have determined how he was alone on the balcony from that angle.

Regardless, a young life was lost too soon and we will likely never know exactly what happened.

Edited by northvanman

I just returned from this cruise today. Reading through this thread, there is a lot of conjecture and, frankly, a lot of insensitivity to an awful situation that a grieving family is having to deal with. So I will provide what I know to be facts (some of this appears it the other closed thread).

First and foremost, a promising young man and son has lost his life. Regardless of circumstances, this is incredibly sad. I feel for his family and his friends.

Here are the facts:

Soon after departing Miami on March 7, the seas were exceptionally rough. We had the early seating dinner at 6pm and wife lasted 30 minutes before returning to her room (she was sick to her stomach). Before the end of the meal, two others left the table because of sea sickness. At least a half dozen wine glasses broke after falling off tables from the gyrations of the ship. On the way out of the restaurant, the men's bathroom door in in the area outside the restaurant was literally caked with vomit (apologies for being so graphic), but this was the situation. For those who question how someone could fall over a railing, this is a factor. There was a HUGE sway, for the first 2 days.

At about 4:30 am on the 15th, an announcement was made over the PA (outside of the rooms) for Cameron Smook to contact the Guest Services on Level 3 along with the phone number. This announcement was repeated 2 more times...I'm guessing it was 15-20 minutes between announcements. Anyone who has cruised knows that general broadcasts do not happen at this hour. Two more announcements were made, after this, but now inside the cabins asking Cameron to contact guest services. The last announcement was at about 6am

At about 9:30 am on the 15th, the Captain announced that he needed to update passengers on a "situation" that they were dealing with. Video surveillance had shown that a passenger had gone overboard and that the ship would be returning to that area to search of the passenger. As someone mentioned on another post, he sounded very choked up. At that time he said it was unclear whether that planned stop to Half Moon Cay would happen (on reflection there was not a chance this stop was going to happen).

We arrived at the location around 3pm. The Carnival Ecstasy had also been re-routed and was sitting what looked to be about 2 miles to our aft. There was USCG helicopter that did several passes over the area between the two ships. At about 5:30pm, the Captain announced that they had not located the overboard passenger and that the Glory had been released by the USCG. I'm not sure about this, but I believe the Ecstasy continued with the search, based on other things I’ve read. The seas remained very rough.

That was the last public announcement about the situation what was made to passengers on the Glory.

A couple of other notes:

Yesterday (March 13), we travelled back through the area. There were 3 cruise ships covering what I'd guess to be about 4-5 miles abroad. One was the RC Odyssey and I don't know what the other was. Nothing was announced, but it was pretty obvious what was going on.

Early this morning during debarkation, Miami police (looked like forensics, but I'm not sure) boarded the ship and were headed up to inspect the cabin. This was a bit surprising to me...I'd have thought this would have been done sooner.

One last comment. We were on the 7th deck and at least one camera is obvious - it extends from the bridge. I have no idea how they could have determined how he was alone on the balcony from that angle.

Regardless, a young life was lost too soon and we will likely never know exactly what happened.

Everyone I'm sure appreciates your information and I'm sure this was a very tough cruise for everyone to be on as well.

However I don't think you had any additional information beyond what we already know. They did in fact confirm this young man did in fact climb over the railing. It is still an incredibly sad situation.

On my first cruise we left port during a tropical depression. I'm actually surprised we set sail at all, but the captain was trying to stay ahead of an impending hurricane. The conditions were similar to what you experienced with the public areas being ghost towns and everyone in their rooms seasick (including myself and my husband). I can tell you, however, this did not make it any more likely that myself or my husband would have accidentally fallen off. We still would have had to climb over the railing.

Everyone I'm sure appreciates your information and I'm sure this was a very tough cruise for everyone to be on as well.

However I don't think you had any additional information beyond what we already know. They did in fact confirm this young man did in fact climb over the railing. It is still an incredibly sad situation.

On my first cruise we left port during a tropical depression. I'm actually surprised we set sail at all, but the captain was trying to stay ahead of an impending hurricane. The conditions were similar to what you experienced with the public areas being ghost towns and everyone in their rooms seasick (including myself and my husband). I can tell you, however, this did not make it any more likely that myself or my husband would have accidentally fallen off. We still would have had to climb over the railing.

Agreed.

This is horrible I feel so bad for this family. Where were the people he was with? Was he the only person in the cabin? RIP

From the news site I was reading, it said his friends were looking for him earlier in the evening, foudn him, and brought him back to the room. However when they woke up later on in the middle of the night they realized he wasn't there. So that's when they reported him missing.

Thanks for sharing.

Here are the facts:

A couple of other notes:

In your statement you say the seas were extremely rough. Are you suggesting that the rough seas caused him to go overboard? How can you discount the video of the cruise line that shows this young man climbing up on the railing? In good weather this is a really stupid idea. In rough seas it is moronic.

Yes a young man is dead. But it sounds he is dead of his own actions. The parents are suffering for their sons lack of smarts. There is no one else to blame but this young man.

In your statement you say the seas were extremely rough. Are you suggesting that the rough seas caused him to go overboard? How can you discount the video of the cruise line that shows this young man climbing up on the railing? In good weather this is a really stupid idea. In rough seas it is moronic.

Yes a young man is dead. But it sounds he is dead of his own actions. The parents are suffering for their sons lack of smarts. There is no one else to blame but this young man.

There are hundreds and hundreds of people who are reading this thread right now who have never been on a cruise themselves and probably do not actually participate in the conversations on message boards, they just observe. Including people who have their sons or daughters going on a spring break cruise. I think it's important for them to understand that it is IMPOSSIBLE to fall overboard "accidentally" if you are not climbing on or over the railing. Again, this has nothing to do with lack of sympathy on my part, but I think it's WRONG to insinuate that rough seas have ANY part at all in a man going overboard.

The only way someone is going to go overboard while not playing on or going over the railing, is if the Craken comes out of the sea and swallows the ship whole.

There shouldn't be any unnecessary worrying for new cruisers, or parents of cruisers who are going on spring break that they or a family member is going to fall off. Unless of course they are doing something reckless or very dangerous.