21 year old college student overboard

vols159

The news is now reporting that he climbed over the railing, so not an accident. Still tragic, though. Tragedy is often the result of bad choices. :(

According to one person aboard, the video revealed tat he was on his balcony vomiting into the sea. The seas were very rough, and he fell over. Tried to hold on but.........I definitely think he had way to much to drink and it made him sick.

Tragic, no matter how it happened.

I'm so sad to read this. I had been following the other thread. To actually see this young guy with such life in his eyes ..... and now he's gone..... makes me so sad. And his poor family .... I just can't imagine what they are going through.

this IS really sad. It's sad for his family.

I don't understand the animosity towards people questioning his actions. This should be a lesson in what can happen with horseplay, goofing around, getting wasted, etc. To treat this as an unavoidable accident and turn him into an innocent bystander is wrong IMO. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he got what he deserved or anything like that...but we shouldn't be afraid of being realistic because his family might be browsing forums looking for opinions on his actions.

There are real consequences for your choices and a night in the "brig" or a cool rescue story aren't the worst case scenarios.

this IS really sad. It's sad for his family.

I don't understand the animosity towards people questioning his actions. This should be a lesson in what can happen with horseplay, goofing around, getting wasted, etc. To treat this as an unavoidable accident and turn him into an innocent bystander is wrong IMO. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he got what he deserved or anything like that...but we shouldn't be afraid of being realistic because his family might be browsing forums looking for opinions on his actions.

There are real consequences for your choices and a night in the "brig" or a cool rescue story aren't the worst case scenarios.

Very well said.

Also, I do not believe a passenger could check the video just because he was on the ship.

Very well said.

Also, I do not believe a passenger could check the video just because he was on the ship.

That was from the other thread, where a poster stated that they knew a crewmember onboard, who told them. I think there is a whole lot of hearsay going on, and "telephone game", because I don't believe that Carnival's legal department would think highly of a Captain that let out details of the video, or that allowed officers and senior staff (the only ones who would have seen the video) to voice opinions and details to crew or passengers. That video loop would have been burned to DVD's for corporate legal, and then wiped from the surveillance servers to keep the surveillance guys from the temptation of looking and reporting to their friends in the crew, or it ending up on youtube.

DH was in the Navy and every time we get on a ship, he reminds me to never go out on the open decks at night by myself. I would never do that in the first place. Even going out on the balcony at night is kind of creepy, but the moon is beautiful. My condolences to the family, I can't even imagine or feel their grief. I am sorry for their loss.

Not sure why someone on board would have seen the video...

Having been on a ship recently that had to change course for medical evacuations, I can tell you that rumors can really go flying in these situations: rumors amongst people on board as well as those not onboard.

TopoftheE, thank you! My thoughts exactly, especially if alcohol or horseplay was involved. Here's an idea, don't get so drunk and don't lean over balcony railings on a tall ship in the middle of the ocean. me

I am sorry this happened for everyone involved, especially the man who is lost at sea, his family, and friends. However (if his own actions are to blame), it the same thing as having a true accident, negligence by the cruise line, or foul play.

I think those who commented on not getting second chances, etc. are correct. If it wasn't suicide, he did not intend for it to happen, however, he can still be at fault and we can learn from it.

This is a HORRIBLE tragedy for both that young man and his family and friends. I don't care whether it was alcohol related or for any reason, fact is EVERYBODY makes mistakes of some type in their life lets face it!! If somebody tells me here they never made any mistake in their life well your a machine not human!!

While the odds are usually against you when something like this happens, I was still hoping for a miracle and thinking about this young man since it was reported. So sad no matter what the circumstances are. My thoughts go out to his family, friends, classmates and those that were on the Glory with him. Such a tragedy at such a young age. :(

You and me both. I was really hoping they would have found him, but when no one was found on Sunday I knew what was coming. It's so sad, whether it's an accident, stupid mistake... whatever. I life is lost and a mother and father are in mourning. Prayers to the family.....

Cameron Smook: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

A Virginia Tech student has been named as the man who fell overboard of a Carnival cruise ship in the Bahamas on March 8. Smook has not been found and is still considered missing.

Here’s what you need to know:

http://heavy.com/news/2015/03/cameron-smook-missing-virginia-tech-student-carnival-cruise-ship-overboard/

5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

5. It’s Not the First Tragedy to Occur on Board the Carnival Glory

In 2007, while traveling aboard one of Glory’s sister ships, the Ecstasy

:confused:

I guess the reporter so generous and he did not even mention engine fires on other Carnival ships.:mad:

Edited by guxu

I certainly hope the young man's family doesn't read this. Very uncalled for and completely insensitive. It's called an accident, doesn't matter how or why it happened. A family has lost a loved one and it must be unbearable that he was never recovered.

Exactly. It doesn't matter how it happened, it's a tragedy for all involved.

Exactly. It doesn't matter how it happened, it's a tragedy for all involved.

You are right. Gallows humor comes quick. Some young men die bravely. Some young men die stupidly. Some young men die unnecessarily. In all cases, I have written their families to say they died honorably.

How do you accidentally fall off a cruise ship?

This happens when one "accidentally" climbs over the safety rail on a balcony. We were talking about these type incidents on another thread. Bottom line is that in nearly every case it is either a drunk passenger doing something very foolish or somebody (passenger or crew) committing suicide.

Hank

I HIGHLY doubt that the grieving family is browsing public forums to see the opinions of strangers about the circumstances around his disappearance...

A few weeks ago there was a drunk teen who had a head on collision and killed himself and two girls in the other car. To say, "it's sad. Be compassionate. Case closed" is a disservice. These things CAN be prevented. He's not a martyr. It's sad but you can use it as a teaching tool to the "nothing bad can happen to me" generation. It's not wrong to point out the obvious (but still sad) fact that his actions caused this. Just like the drunk driver. The loss of his life is awful. But to act like the circumstances were out of his control sends a message that it's okay to get wasted and act foolish. When in reality it can cost your life.

My daughter is a senior at VT and knew this young man. A lot of grieving is going on there. A very sad and tragic event.

I was actually thinking about you and your daughter. When we were commenting on each others reviews of our cruises out of San Juan you mentioned you were going on Valor out of San Juan this year for her graduation from VT. I am really sorry to hear that she lost a friend. I think I mentioned friends of ours have a daughter graduating from tech this year too. I don't know if she knew him but her mom told me she was pretty upset and a lot of VT students were upset whether they knew him or not. Just very sad. All I could think about when I first heard of this last Sunday was that poor kid, his family and friends, and keeping all in my thoughts and prayers.

I was just on a 7 Mexican cruise and had 3 young men in cabin below us.

The day we left Puerto Vallarta one of the young men was so drunk he was literally hanging over the edge of balcony throwing up. When his friends came out they were just as bad.

At that point I called Passenger Service desk and let them know, as I was very worried about their safety.

Security did come and they settled down after that.